What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ESPN Documentary - The Last Dance

For those desperate for a basketball hit, the following article is from the Wide World of Sports website -

10-part ESPN documentary on Michael Jordan's last championship season with Chicago Bulls set to be released early
By WWOS staff
4 hours ago

The much anticipated 10-part ESPN documentary series on Michael Jordan's last NBA championship season with the Chicago Bulls is set for an early release to bail out desperate sports fans.

The documentary series called 'The Last Dance' will air on ESPN and Netflix in the U.S. over five consecutive Sunday nights starting April 19 and running through May 17, airing back-to-back hour episodes.

"As society navigates this time without live sports, viewers are still looking to the sports world to escape and enjoy a collective experience," ESPN said in a statement.

"We've heard the calls from fans asking us to move up the release date for this series, and we're happy to announce that we've been able to accelerate the production schedule to do just that."

The documentary was originally meant to air after the NBA Finals series concluded in June and is nearly 25 years in the making after Jordan, Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf and coach Phil Jackson allowed an NBA Entertainment film crew permission to follow the team all season in its pursuit of its sixth championship in eight seasons.

"Michael Jordan and the '90s Bulls weren't just sports superstars, they were a global phenomenon," said Jason Hehir, who directed the series.

"Making 'The Last Dance' was an incredible opportunity to explore the extraordinary impact of one man and one team. For nearly three years, we searched far and wide to present the definitive story of an era-defining dynasty and to present these sports heroes as humans."

The series will include never-before-seen footage from that season and also has "extensive profiles of Jordan's key teammates including Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman and Steve Kerr," along with Jackson, according to ESPN.

"April 19th can't come fast enough. I CAN NOT WAIT!!" Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James tweeted upon hearing the news.

shiznit

Coach
Best team I’ve ever seen. Even in the current climate of the super team.

That bulls team was something else.

nöyd

Staff member
"Straight up bitches." - Horace Grant

"Yeah, ok. Whatever. f**k this bullshit". - Ron Harper

lol

ACTPanthers

Bench
MJ is GOAT - The skills he possessed were just ridiculous.

Loved the Kobe part in one of the latest released.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Next 2 episodes are apparently the most emotional
They go into his dad murder and his baseball stint

What it does show is what it takes to be the GOAT, you really need to be a merkin. No room for being a nice guy

Eelementary

Post Whore
Next 2 episodes are apparently the most emotional
They go into his dad murder and his baseball stint

What it does show is what it takes to be the GOAT, you really need to be a merkin. No room for being a nice guy

I find that to be an interesting stance.

Let's take LeBron James as an example - the guy is breaking all sorts of records, and many people say that he belongs to be in the discussion of the GOAT.

But James has been a model teammate, and a great representative of the sport.

Kobe had some trash talk in him, but nowhere near the extent of MJ - and Kobe was a arguably kinder teammate.

I think MJ's cut-throat approach worked well in the eighties, and nineties, but I don't think it's a prerequisite to be a GOAT, tbh.

It worked for him, to drive him to be the best, though.

some11

Referee
His comments regarding the hong kong protestors and china were disgraceful.

Especially since he holds himself up as standing up against injustice.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yeah, admittedly, that was pretty poor from James.

In addition, to expand on my "model teammate" comment - LeBron James, as.it stands, has more than double the amount of career triple-doubles than MJ; MJ was a scorer, and a bloody good one, but LBJ is a better team player, imo.

shiznit

Coach
I find that to be an interesting stance.

Let's take LeBron James as an example - the guy is breaking all sorts of records, and many people say that he belongs to be in the discussion of the GOAT.

Kobe had some trash talk in him, but nowhere near the extent of MJ - and Kobe was a arguably kinder teammate.

I think MJ's cut-throat approach worked well in the eighties, and nineties, but I don't think it's a prerequisite to be a GOAT, tbh.

It worked for him, to drive him to be the best, though.

Meh.... i watched Jordan, Kobe and Lebron all in their prime....

Lebron and Kobe aren’t in that GOAT discussion... MJ is on GOAT island all on his own.

LeBron, Kobe, Kareem, Wilt, Bird, Magic etc... they are on another island somewhere...

I kinda don’t get this whole LeBron was a better teammate than MJ bullshit... there’s more to being a better team mate than being nice.

Sure MJ was an asshole... but he pulled the strings that were needed of him at the time.

For the team to be the best it could be they needed MJ to lead them... and sometimes leaders can be assholes.

But being an asshole doesn’t automatically make you bad leader and team mate... the same way being mr nice guy doesn’t automatically make you a good leader and team mate.

The good ones pull from the right reign depending on their personality and the personalities within the group.

MJ did what needed to be done based on the team he had around him.

I can tell you now... I’m sure his team mates would prefer being with an asshole and winning 6 out 6 finals they compete in than being with Mr Nice guy and going 3 from 9.

Sometimes to be the best team mate you need to be an asshole... I’d love to see how LeBron would have handled Rodman and his antics. :joy::joy:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Meh.... i watched Jordan, Kobe and Lebron all in their prime....

Lebron and Kobe aren’t in that GOAT discussion... MJ is on GOAT island all on his own.

LeBron, Kobe, Kareem, Wilt, Bird, Magic etc... they are on another island somewhere...

I kinda don’t get this whole LeBron was a better teammate than MJ bullshit... there’s more to being a better team mate than being nice.

Sure MJ was an asshole... but he pulled the strings that were needed of him at the time.

For the team to be the best it could be they needed MJ to lead them... and sometimes leaders can be assholes.

But being an asshole doesn’t automatically make you bad leader and team mate... the same way being mr nice guy doesn’t automatically make you a good leader and team mate.

The good ones pull from the right reign depending on their personality and the personalities within the group.

MJ did what needed to be done based on the team he had around him.

I can tell you now... I’m sure his team mates would prefer being with an asshole and winning 6 out 6 finals they compete in than being with Mr Nice guy and going 3 from 9.

Sometimes to be the best team mate you need to be an asshole... I’d love to see how LeBron would have handled Rodman and his antics. :joy::joy:

It's not about being nice - LBJ simply spread the ball a whole lot more than MJ.

If you compare their career statistics, I absolutely believe that LBJ belongs in the GOAT discussion, alongside MJ - his stats compare very favourably to MJ's.

The biggest difference - and it's an arguably important factor - is the number of Championships eaxh player won.

Sorry but MJ went to the NBA Finals 6 times and never lost. LBJ will never be able to match that as he has already lost once in the NBA Finals. LBJ is a darn fine player but Jordan still rules in my book.

shiznit

Coach
It's not about being nice - LBJ simply spread the ball a whole lot more than MJ.

If you compare their career statistics, I absolutely believe that LBJ belongs in the GOAT discussion, alongside MJ - his stats compare very favourably to MJ's.

The biggest difference - and it's an arguably important factor - is the number of Championships eaxh player won.

Comparing stats is stupid... they played in different era’s...

I mean Russell Westbrook passed Magic Johnson a while ago for 2nd most triple doubles... would anyone seriously consider Russ better than Magic??

I mean you saw what the Piston’s did to Jordan with the Jordan Rules... LeBron has NEVER faced anything closely resembling that.

Stats don’t tell you that.

Stats also don’t show you how when the championship was on the line he stole the ball... dribbled down the floor and hit the championship winner.

LeBron has NEVER done anything like that... maybe his block vs golden state but it’s barely comparable....

Eelementary

Post Whore

I mean Russell Westbrook passed Magic Johnson a while ago for 2nd most triple doubles... would anyone seriously consider Russ better than Magic??

I mean you saw what the Piston’s did to Jordan with the Jordan Rules... LeBron has NEVER faced anything closely resembling that.

Stats also don’t show you how when the championship was on the line he stole the ball... dribbled down the floor and hit the championship winner.

LeBron has NEVER done anything like that... maybe his block vs golden state but it’s barely comparable....

I don't agree.

But I can see I'm not going to change your mind.

I don't care if it's an unpopular opinion - I can't split MJ and LeBron, personally.

They're different styles of players, but the two best players I've ever seen.

wilco44

Juniors

Jordan - with the force of the Pistons the defence (full on Defence like 80's League) Jordan still scored 50+ I think one time 60...like

Be like Mike..Lol!

I was a teenager then and reboot of the Bulls. After training we would get on the basketball court in Sydney - I was crap...though could pass well. In some respect, I think it helped our footy...some knock-ons but you get my drift.

If Lebron get's 2 comps - he'll better then Mike...I doubt he can do that.

Latest posts