What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 1999 the biggest grand final choke?

T.S Quint

Coach
Parra did choke, but the Knights didn't do a Bradbury. It was a totally different thing. The Knights were near perfect in the first half. They always had that in them.

Yep, they played a perfect half of footy. We hesitated and they ran over the top of us without making a mistake. I think we did well to get back into the game in the second half but by then it was just too late. People seem to remember it as a huge blowout but in the end we only lost by 6.

_Johnsy

Referee
Surprised Broncos 2015 hasn’t been mentioned. Mere minutes away from winning it, give away the ball, give away a dumb penalty, let a try in, drop the ball from the kickoff...choke done.
Not so much a choke, but 100% mismanagement of that game. Trying to close it out with 25+min left. WTF was Benny thinking? so so so negative, even for him.

mongoose

Coach
The Storm in 2018 was a bit of a choke. They got blown off the park by the Roosters who only had Cronk on the field to call plays. The Storm were awful in that game though.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Surprised Broncos 2015 hasn’t been mentioned. Mere minutes away from winning it, give away the ball, give away a dumb penalty, let a try in, drop the ball from the kickoff...choke done.

I think the bookies had the Cowboys and Broncos pretty close in odds. Ask a Cowboys fan, and he/she was confident in winning the premiership, but also nervous. Ask a Broncos fan, and you probably got a similar reaction.

I thought the Cowboys had the better team/ roster of the two teams, but the Broncos had a game plan that frustrated the Cowboys, and stopped them from playing the way they would have wanted. Thurston never got to play the style he wanted.

Valheru

Coach
The Storm in 2018 was a bit of a choke. They got blown off the park by the Roosters who only had Cronk on the field to call plays. The Storm were awful in that game though.

Was just about to mention that one.

I went to that game expecting melbourne to win but after the first 2 minutes i knew we would win.

Storm didn't turn up.

Another one that hasn't got a mention, manly 2013. They turned up to play but they gave away a 10 point lead with 25 to go and conceded 18-0 in that period.

I know they will cite some decisions against them but for a team of their defensive aptitude to turn a 10 point lead in to an 8 point deficit in 25 minutes is a bit of a choke.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
If he can base this thread on an individual, I recall Cooper Cronk having an absolute stinker against the Sharks in 2016. For somebody often so clutch, the Sharks completely unsettled him with their trademark niggle, and the other attention he copped.

His response? Winning the next three grand finals in a row.

Really? Game was before my time, but I can’t say I’ve ever heard/read this.

Or do you mean strictly from the in game angle, that the Jets had a decent lead into the 2nd half?

yeah. I might have been unfair on Jets. Had a lead, missed conversions then got outplayed.

Jets were a seasoned team though.

ouwet

Bench
1995 was not a choke by Manly... They got done by a far superior team which had been building for 3 years.

1993 Minor Premiers
1994 GF loss

Yes our season wasn't the best however we were hardest hit by the Super League in terms of players leaving/signing with rival leagues.

Once we beat the Cowboys by 60 odd at Belmore Sports ground on the last round I suspected the GF was ours.

St George were probably the next closest thing in 1995 to winning, I remember telling my mate who loves that club whoever wins this game will win the comp, we ended up winning with 12 men in the final 10 minutes in a brutal game of RL.

Brisbane, Canberra and Manly never got close to us and were easily disposed of without much of a sweat.

Last edited:

Walpole

Juniors
Very kind of you all to bring up these other "chokes" but the Dragons have got this one.

mave

Coach
[QUOTE="Valheru, post: 14114735, member: 39569"]I know they will cite some decisions against them but for a team of their defensive aptitude to turn a 10 point lead in to an 8 point deficit in 25 minutes is a bit of a choke.[/QUOTE]

Don't mind if I do.

Wolfman and Shane Hayne shared the CC Medal that day, for the Roosters.

The_Frog

First Grade
Newtown led by four points with ten or so to go. They tried to play to their advantages, which basically were keeping the game tight with a tough tackling set of forwards, but they could not hold the Eels backline for the full 80 once they got some quality possession. It was hardly a choke, but Newtown did wilt in the face of possession turning against them in the last 10 minutes.

Valheru

Coach
[QUOTE="Valheru, post: 14114735, member: 39569"]I know they will cite some decisions against them but for a team of their defensive aptitude to turn a 10 point lead in to an 8 point deficit in 25 minutes is a bit of a choke.

Don't mind if I do.

Wolfman and Shane Hayne shared the CC Medal that day, for the Roosters.[/QUOTE]

Well no one actually got the CC medal for the roosters that day.

One of the great travesties of modern era.

horrie hastings

First Grade
yeah. I might have been unfair on Jets. Had a lead, missed conversions then got outplayed.

Jets were a seasoned team though.

Yep i think you might be being a bit unfair on the Jets, they did have a lead and did miss one fairly easy conversion but never had a lead bigger than 4 points, watching the head on camera of Tommy Raudonikis's try to put Newtown up 11-7 i reckon Greg Hartley gets in the way of Peter Sterling in trying to make an effective tackle on Raudonikis.

As for a choke that year 1981 i would put Easts up there even though they didn't make the GF, they were minor premiers and lead the comp from rd 10, they out played Parramatta 20-6 in the 2nd last premiership round then lost to Wests in the last round, still had the week off as minor premiers then ran into Parra again, even though the scores were level at the end of 80 mins Parra won in extra time, Easts looked so underdone though and kept on coughing the ball up. The following week they ran in Newtown in the final and lost again in a very dour struggle, so from being in 1st place from r 10 they exited the finals in straight sets.

Newtown led by four points with ten or so to go. They tried to play to their advantages, which basically were keeping the game tight with a tough tackling set of forwards, but they could not hold the Eels backline for the full 80 once they got some quality possession. It was hardly a choke, but Newtown did wilt in the face of possession turning against them in the last 10 minutes.

A bit like Broncos 15 then?

I've watched 81 a few times as my father in law is an old Jets man. That last 10 minutes is always a killer.

mave

Coach
Don't mind if I do.

Wolfman and Shane Hayne shared the CC Medal that day, for the Roosters.

Well no one actually got the CC medal for the roosters that day.

One of the great travesties of modern era.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.