What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Bateman

Honestly couldn’t give a shit if he leaves the club , this should not have been played out in the media and has also done him no favours

if he was As unstoppable and scored tries like JT he’d be worth 800 but he isn’t

big hit!

Bench
This isnt making much sense. The club has juggled at least 6-800k of the cap around in the last six months with transfers and releases. They could find him an extra 200k.

Maybe sticky has marked his papers after the shit he pulled GF week.

maybe they're managing their salary cap well.

i'm watching sunderland til i die on netflix at the moment and the way the owner operated in one of the transfer windows in season 2 of the series to land a forward was abysmal. panicked and paid way way overs for a him. made the mistakes previous administrations made, and it didn't end well. on a side note, if you haven't watched this show, i give it a big wrap. you don't need to like soccer, sport will suffice. gives you a great insight behind the scenes into a big club in dire straits.

if a player/agent comes in with a demand that is above what you're prepared to pay, then see you later. better off getting two young edge forwards for 400k a piece than pay one 800k, had only 1 good season in the NRL and taking up that much salary cap space. you may regret the decision to let him go, but you need to operate with your principles in tact.

maybe they're managing their salary cap well.

i'm watching sunderland til i die on netflix at the moment and the way the owner operated in one of the transfer windows in season 2 of the series to land a forward was abysmal. panicked and paid way way overs for a him. made the mistakes previous administrations made, and it didn't end well. on a side note, if you haven't watched this show, i give it a big wrap. you don't need to like soccer, sport will suffice. gives you a great insight behind the scenes into a big club in dire straits.

if a player/agent comes in with a demand that is above what you're prepared to pay, then see you later. better off getting two young edge forwards for 400k a piece than pay one 800k, had only 1 good season in the NRL and taking up that much salary cap space. you may regret the decision to let him go, but you need to operate with your principles in tact.
It’s definitely a great watch agreed :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Honestly couldn’t give a shit if he leaves the club , this should not have been played out in the media and has also done him no favours

if he was As unstoppable and scored tries like JT he’d be worth 800 but he isn’t

ponga just got $1.1mill a year. allegedly. I wouldnt say he’s a $800k a year forward but someone will be desperate enough. It was alleged Klemmer got over $800k a year and I’d rate Bateman more valuable to a side so who knows with salaries these days.

Greenfields

Juniors
Not going to pretend he isn’t that good because the guy is a f*cking weapon. Yeah he’s a skilful mobile backrower but the attitude he brings to the field is just as valuable. I think he played a big part in turning our narrow losses to wins. We lost 3 in a row when he was out with a fractured eye socket. Losing him is going suck balls.

Xcalibre

Juniors
I just don't see JB following any gameplan like that. He'll rip in wherever he goes & I'll enjoy watching him at my club or yours or wherever else. He's a goer. He MIGHT end up worth 800k plus but after just one good year... That's not smart when you already have a GF squad + a better halfback. Maybe worth the punt for other teams.

Who’s Canberra’s halfback anyway? Some pommy no one has heard of the f**ker.

Anyway, when Bateman wears the royal blue & white, he’ll play his natural game, like CHN who he’ll replace. The idea he’d be a Jackson clone is only thought by dullards. JJ plays like that because it’s what he’s best at, just like JB is best at sneaky and clever shit.

I’m looking forward to @nick87 ’s tears when it becomes official and he’ll have to be satisfied “rooting” for the rest of the Raiders.

big hit!

Bench
ponga just got $1.1mill a year. allegedly. I wouldnt say he’s a $800k a year forward but someone will be desperate enough. It was alleged Klemmer got over $800k a year and I’d rate Bateman more valuable to a side so who knows with salaries these days.

Prop forwards generally won't get paid that much due to the minutes they play. But good prop forwards are integral to any successful team. He's one of the best around.

nick87

Coach
I’m looking forward to @nick87 ’s tears when it becomes official and he’ll have to be satisfied “rooting” for the rest of the Raiders.

I wouldn’t wait by the keyboard for tears. I want to keep JB, and hope we do, but losing to the dogs would be ideal
He can go and earn a ton of money, win 6-10 games a year and after two years of running off Lachlan Lewis and Jack Cogger, the bulldogs will be shopping his contract to replace him with another high priced free agent who isn’t a spine player

rinse and repeat haha

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
The Bulldogs are almost unwatchable. Bateman is potentially just using the Bulldogs to up his price like DCE did with the Titans. The Bulldogs are the new Raiders. Anyone with a contract expiry date gets linked to the Bulldogs.

gerg

Juniors
I wouldn’t wait by the keyboard for tears. I want to keep JB, and hope we do, but losing to the dogs would be ideal
He can go and earn a ton of money, win 6-10 games a year and after two years of running off Lachlan Lewis and Jack Cogger, the bulldogs will be shopping his contract to replace him with another high priced free agent who isn’t a spine player

rinse and repeat haha

He'll probably be running off Foran's shoulder until the draft injures it again.

Xcalibre

Juniors

rinse and repeat haha

Ouch, what a burn! Or his loss could see Raiders form plummet and with his pommy mate Luke Thompson joining him, the Dogs’ rise.

“the bulldogs will be shopping his contract to replace him with another high priced free agent who isn’t a spine player".. like who? The only one I can recall is Foran and he is a spine player, and the first half picked when fit mind you. In fact you could put Mbye and Reynolds in that category (besides the “free agent” bit) but both are also spines.

Chimp

Juniors
Ouch, what a burn! Or his loss could see Raiders form plummet and with his pommy mate Luke Thompson joining him, the Dogs’ rise.

“the bulldogs will be shopping his contract to replace him with another high priced free agent who isn’t a spine player".. like who? The only one I can recall is Foran and he is a spine player, and the first half picked when fit mind you. In fact you could put Mbye and Reynolds in that category (besides the “free agent” bit) but both are also spines.
Greg Eastwood? James Graham?

both good in their day, but given long and heavily back ended deals that made them far from value for money at the end of their deals