What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 1999 the biggest grand final choke?

Reflector

Juniors
Of the deciders I've seen, my vote goes to the 1989 Tigers. By the end of the first half they were up by 10 but it felt like the question was already "Balmain by how much?" Raiders weren't bad, but the Tigers had been on another level. Wok's substitutions didn't help the Tigers finish the job once and for all, but where the choke really becomes evident is once extra time begins. They're equal on the scoreboard with a chance to regather themselves and swing the game back in their favour but instead they completely go to pieces- stupid errors everywhere and mentally they were finished. The Raiders play the extra time period as if they're the only team left on the field.

GongPanther

Referee
Of the deciders I've seen, my vote goes to the 1989 Tigers. By the end of the first half they were up by 10 but it felt like the question was already "Balmain by how much?" Raiders weren't bad, but the Tigers had been on another level. Wok's substitutions didn't help the Tigers finish the job once and for all, but where the choke really becomes evident is once extra time begins. They're equal on the scoreboard with a chance to regather themselves and swing the game back in their favour but instead they completely go to pieces- stupid errors everywhere and mentally they were finished. The Raiders play the extra time period as if they're the only team left on the field.
That substitution of Roach and Sirro were absolute head scratchers.

Sphagnum

Coach
Not even close. We were a better side than Parra. We played them once during the regular season with Joey and beat them comfortably and once without him and O’Davis and got pumped.

It’s annoying that people say Parramatta choked and we did a Bradbury. The Knights won because they were a better team.
They were the two standout teams and the best team on the day won. No flukes or bradburys involved.

That substitution of Roach and Sirro were absolute head scratchers.

The whole team looked completely gassed by the end of regulation time, maybe apart from the subs. I've read where Ryan doesnt regret the decision to substitute them, something akin to they both were stuffed and one of them in particular (think Sirro) was really struggling in defence. So he put on known tacklers/defensive guys like Hardwick. They didnt really have much else attacking venom on the bench from memory, Shaun Edwards and Mick Pobjie I think were it. They went off when Canberra were really gaining momentum. So by that rationale, I can see where he was coming from.

I'd have to watch the game again but cant remember either of them having any real impact in the second half before they were subbed. Absolutely great players no doubt, and you know what they say about hindsight..
Ryan had won grand finals before, and along with Gibson, was an absolute standout coach of the era. But all of this makes for fascinating discussions still, after 30 years we're still talking about this game...

Anyway regardless of opinions, even though I made comparisons of the Tigers in 89 to the Dragons in 99 in an earlier post - I dont consider this a "choke" at all. I think they were simply mown down at the end by a team which still had petrol in the tank when sadly for them, they were flashing red a long way before full time.

The all-time daddy here, and usually the most quoted...

Greg Norman 1996 Masters... 6 shot lead into the final round but lost to Nick Faldo. Both were all class at the end though.

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/nick-faldo-greg-norman-1996-masters/

I reckon this one though at least equals Norman....NZ against the USA in the 2013 America's Cup final. NZ were leading 8-1 in the finals series - and only needed one more win to take the title. They Lost 8-9..

https://www.wsj.com/articles/americ...eatest-comeback-in-sailing-history-1393457596

T.S Quint

Coach
PSG getting turfed out of the Champions League finals in the second leg by Man United in 2019

Ditto Barcelona after being up 3-0 going into the second leg and facing a Liverpool team missing Firminho and Salah

I know pretty much nothing about soccer, but imma throw you a like anyway.

Reflector

Juniors
Arsenal beating Liverpool at Anfield n the final seconds of the 1989 season :)

They took Arsenal too lightly that night. Was probably the most memorable finish to a season before 2012- and who'd have thought that when Man United had an 8 point lead in the league with a month to go!

Let's not pretend that the 2001 Eels were overachieving mugs.

They set all kinds of attacking records that will never be broken and they were also the best defensive side by a mile.

The Eels finished that year with an F/A of + 433 where as the Knights finished + 143, so they were a class above.

They just came up against a sometimes hot and cold Knights team that, when red hot, were a juggernaut led by the GoaT. They also froze on the biggest stage of the year, and I think Brian Smith deserves a lot of blame for that.

Absolutely - honestly probably the best side I've ever seen first hand over the course of a season.

The Knights had Johns and he stepped up - without him, forget it.

Reflector

Juniors
Absolutely - honestly probably the best side I've ever seen first hand over the course of a season.

The Knights had Johns and he stepped up - without him, forget it.

I felt that Joey getting the CC medal in that game was similar to JT getting it in 2015- he wasn't the standout player that night. It was Ben Kennedy or Bill Peden who really laid the groundwork for the demolition job in the first half. Two tries in quick succession and Parra were rattled.

typicalfan

Coach
I felt that Joey getting the CC medal in that game was similar to JT getting it in 2015- he wasn't the standout player that night. It was Ben Kennedy or Bill Peden who really laid the groundwork for the demolition job in the first half. Two tries in quick succession and Parra were rattled.
Joey definitely played well on the night though, not as well as BK but still top 5 on the field. JT I couldn't even say that, he was pretty average apart from the FG.

Life's Good

Coach
Taking it based on the actual GF, irrespective of form leading in I’d agree with Manly 95, Brisbane 15 & Melbourne 2018 as well in the debate.
As for 99, it’s hard to argue against the choke. A couple of poor calls(not the penalty try)didn’t help but Melbourne just found another 3 gears in the 2nd half.
Being at the game, I still have visions of a tearful Dragons fan taking off his jersey & throwing it into the crowd in disgust only for the Dragons fan who caught it to promptly throw it back at him.