What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

Cactus

Juniors
In regards to Roy's legal advice from the Legal Partners
f**kem and Stuff-em- Somehow not providing product is
not a actionable item which Nine could renegotiate this year.

Not providing the broadcast content was never a breach of the contract by the NRL. It really is that simple.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Ch 9/Fairfax don't have the rights to AFL .
They started the shitshow
That's why it was a media circus .

Whatever happens in Rl is played out in the media ..usually negatively

The afl has the protection of the Vicderpia media .

I actually think it has to do more that there are way more passionate AFL people then RL people and they would go ballistic. Also the people in charge of AFL ensure the image of their code is protected.

It's all to often repeated in RL that it's a game that gives drama therefore people just accept it. It's good for the media but terrible for the games reputation and image.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Hi Everyone

Been a long time reader on this site. Always enjoyed the forum debate. Now I'll dip my toes into the snakepit.

Following this debate on tv rights, i do agree with both sides of the argument. On one side, League XIII and Perth Red are saying "why extend, just wait until the contract expires and go to the market?". But on the other side, Taipan has stated that having an extended deal with Fox, does bring the game some form of security in the next 6 or 7 years, even if it is a fraction less.

My view is the lesson the NRL needs to learn from this pandemic is to stop relying on broadcast revenue. It is a risky practice where every five years the game has to go cap in hand asking for money from arrogant, rude tv executives, even if it is from traditional media or new media like Optus, Facebook, Amazon etc.

Now here is the thing. The NRL did set up" Project Apollo" to get the game back on the field. Once we get back to some form of normality, I'd like to see the NRL set up another "Project Apollo". The goal would be to come up with ideas and strategy to generate non broadcast revenue.

A key part of that strategy could be centred around the digital arm. It does look like the game has retained it, otherwise shows like "Inside NRL" and "NRL teams" would not have returned over the last few days.

But anyway, let's wait and see after the tv deal is announced and we will go from there.

I think if you step back pre pandemic what was the games strategy under Grant Greenberg and Smith. Smith had secured a great deal with Nine until 2022. So they were then focused on digital and going to the market much to the annoyance of News Ltd (hence all the negativity and crap flung at them). V'landys (strong links with News) comes to power and Todd's time is up (media heat is at full throttle) contract wasn't going to be renewed. Then all this pandemic restrictions begin. Media see great opportunity in the crisis. Constant BS spewed by a media smothered in self interest. Nine having been screwed by Smith in a great deal for RL see the opportunity to lessen their financial commitment. Whilst Fox see the opportunity to cash in on the streaming services before the competition hits. Bang deals are done in a few weeks.Media is happy statue of V'landys being errected outside Fox studios as we speak.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
welcome to the madhouse lol. Don’t think anyone would disagree and every ceo and chair since independence has continually talked about the need to maximise non media revenue. Tbf to Greenberg he didn’t do too bad a job and took the non media revenue from $129.2mill to $203.9mill. Biggest issue is every time the nrl wants to put aside money for investing in revenue growth it has to combat the clubs and leagues holding their hands out and the media saying its wasting money (a large part of the $’s media were complaining about in cost to run the game was in fact What the game spends generating revenue).
You can see from this graph from annualL report the revenue split has remained pretty consistent even going back to the crapper media deal of 2012.
View attachment 38511

He was also following the strategy for what was best for the game set out in 2012. He didn't invite Nine to the table because he didn't need to. Nine will be going the way of the print media in a few years. They had a contract and he was going to make them pay it.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
NRL clubs are lazy when it comes to revenue raising initiatives. Years of leagues club grants and now TV broadcasting revenue along with a generally inept Commission has meant much of the same.

If I was on the NRL Commission, I would be encouraging the same with a 'flexible' or 'targeted' set of KPIs for each Club. The areas I would address would be i) average home crowds, ii) membership, iii) merchandise sales, iv) local juniors, v) sponsorship and vi) digital branding.

That's what Dave Smith did and they weren't too happy.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
What you believe is your guesstimate figure, differs to what has been mentioned by others in the media.I can't prove it and neither can you .All I know is we borrowed $30m initially during Todd's reign, the other $50m has never been spelt out.And should have been by Todd.

The question is if we had the availability of the alleged $130m on hand ,we would perhaps not have needed a $250m loan guarantee, could have been less.

That narrative was spewed by a media with self interest as their main objective to remove men who were willing to take the game in another direction. Alot of people here have soaked up all this negativity as fact when it is far from it when you eventually hear the other side.

Doesn't the carry on from ALL news ltd associated journos create an ounce of cynicism.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think if you step back pre pandemic what was the games strategy under Grant Greenberg and Smith. Smith had secured a great deal with Nine until 2022. So they were then focused on digital and going to the market much to the annoyance of News Ltd (hence all the negativity and crap flung at them). V'landys (strong links with News) comes to power and Todd's time is up (media heat is at full throttle) contract wasn't going to be renewed. Then all this pandemic restrictions begin. Media see great opportunity in the crisis. Constant BS spewed by a media smothered in self interest. Nine having been screwed by Smith in a great deal for RL see the opportunity to lessen their financial commitment. Whilst Fox see the opportunity to cash in on the streaming services before the competition hits. Bang deals are done in a few weeks.Media is happy statue of V'landys being errected outside Fox studios as we speak.

the Masturbating over Vlandys last night on nrl360 and MJ podcast was vomit inducing. News got exactly what they wanted, Long extension for less money and a reduction on what they had already agreed. His line about lose-lose was laughable.if your news ltd why wouldnt you be popping the champagne corks?

Ch9 had a contract worth $185mill a year (inc contra) to the nrl, Fox/Telstra $175 mill (inc contra)
let’s see what they end up paying for the rest of it.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
the Masturbating over Vlandys last night on nrl360 and MJ podcast was vomit inducing. News got exactly what they wanted, Long extension for less money and a reduction on what they had already agreed. His line about lose-lose was laughable.if your news ltd why wouldnt you be popping the champagne corks?

Ch9 had a contract worth $185mill a year (inc contra) to the nrl, Fox/Telstra $175 mill (inc contra)

Again though without details hard to say if the Fox sports reduction was good or not

colly

Juniors

What you quote or say is simple not true. It been bandied around the media that Nine play 130-25 million dollars p/a to the NRL. The 185 million p/a by Nine was the old Smith contract one where Nine bought the whole lot ( 8 games ) for 925 or 185 million each year times 5 gets you 925 million. times 5 years which is = 925.
In actual fact Nine play now $125 per year. then time 5 = 625
Foxtel pays 220 million then by 5 years equal = 1100
Thus Nine 625 + foxtel 1100 = 1725 cash only (Australia) again its 1725 ( 5 year contract ) with Foxtel paying the most at 220 to the NRL, however foxtel pay Nine 20 million years for simulcast of the three games Nine has. So Foxtel pays nearly, yearly, a quarter of Billion dollars ( 240 million ) on Rugby League. That's not chump change in anybodies book.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What you quote or say is simple not true. It been bandied around the media that Nine play 130-25 million dollars p/a to the NRL. The 185 million p/a by Nine was the old Smith contract one where Nine bought the whole lot ( 8 games ) for 925 or 185 million each year times 5 gets you 925 million. times 5 years which is = 925.
In actual fact Nine play now $125 per year. then time 5 = 625
Foxtel pays 220 million then by 5 years equal = 1100
Thus Nine 625 + foxtel 1100 = 1725 cash only (Australia) again its 1725 ( 5 year contract ) with Foxtel paying the most at 220 to the NRL, however foxtel pay Nine 20 million years for simulcast of the three games Nine has. So Foxtel pays nearly, yearly, a quarter of Billion dollars ( 240 million ) on Rugby League. That's not chump change in anybodies book.

not so, at least according to media in 2015.
Nrl deal with nine is for $185mil a year. Nine then on sold the saturday night game to fox along with simucast rights bringing their expense down but not changing the revenue they pay the nrl. Fox pay the nrl $175mill and then pay nine $35mill a year for saturday night and $25mill for simucast rights.

further evidence is in nine claiming they could save giving nrl $130mill for the final 3/4 of the 2020 season (they’d already made the first qtr payment)
Including the first qtr that is an annual spend of $173mill without contra and the amount agreed for this year off the advanced payment in 2016.

so that’s $185mill from nine and $175millmfrom fox going to nrl,
then the side deal that sees nines costs reduced and foxes increased by $60mill a year due to the agreement between them.

contra is to the amount of $24.5mill a year

Last edited:

colly

Juniors
not so, at least according to media in 2015.
Nrl deal with nine is for $185mil a year. Nine then on sold the saturday night game to fox along with simucast rights bringing their expense down but not changing the revenue they pay the nrl. Fox pay the nrl $175mill and then pay nine $35mill a year for saturday night and $25mill for simucast rights.

further evidence is in nine claiming they could save giving nrl $130mill for the final 3/4 of the 2020 season (they’d already made the first qtr payment)
Including the first qtr that is an annual spend of $173mill without contra and the amount agreed for this year off the advanced payment in 2016.

so that’s $185mill from nine and $175millmfrom fox going to nrl,
then the side deal that sees nines costs reduced and foxes increased by $60mill a year due to the agreement between them.

contra is to the amount of $24.5mill a year

"So Foxtel pays nearly, yearly, a quarter of Billion dollars ( 240 million ) on Rugby League. That's not chump change in anybodies book. " Quote from Post Colly

So Foxtel pays NRL 175 and 60 million to Nine for Rugby league which Nine has the rights too, that still adds uo to Foxtel paying for the rights to Rugby League 230 million dollars BY YOUR CALCULATIONS, close enough to what I said. This highlights Smith Deal as stupid. NRL miss out of 55 million dollars p/a which get passed between Nine and Foxtel. i had no strong opinion on the Smith deal, however I was not aware of the 35 million for Saturday transfer. I was aware of the 20-25 simulcast amount.

Perth Red

Post Whore
"So Foxtel pays nearly, yearly, a quarter of Billion dollars ( 240 million ) on Rugby League. That's not chump change in anybodies book. " Quote from Post Colly

So Foxtel pays NRL 175 and 60 million to Nine for Rugby league which Nine has the rights too, that still adds uo to Foxtel paying for the rights to Rugby League 230 million dollars BY YOUR CALCULATIONS, close enough to what I said. This highlights Smith Deal as stupid. NRL miss out of 55 million dollars p/a which get passed between Nine and Foxtel. i had no strong opinion on the Smith deal, however I was not aware of the 35 million for Saturday transfer. I was aware of the 20-25 simulcast amount.

haha, no it wasn’t. We got the money for Saturday night, just through nine, who then recouped it from Fox. Do you think we would have got $185mill out of nine for three games?

The simucast rights where never the nrl’s to sell, that production content is nines to sell.

I don’t think anyone has ever said Fox don’t spend a lot of money on nrl Lol

Steel Saints

Juniors

Todd was under pressure back in February, before Covid hit the world for six. Once Covid hit and the games finances were brought in the public domain, he became dead man walking

As for Smith, unfortunately back in 2015, he only completed half of the tv deal. From memory, Nine got four exclusive games at $925 million, all at prime time slots. That was a better deal for Nine. Of course Fox were peeved off because they were left with undesirable timeslots.

If only Smith completed the tv deal. What was Smith planning to do with the remaining four games?.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
NRL and Fox Sports reach broadcast deal extension agreement
National Rugby League | May 28 2020 4:58PM

Fox League will remain the home of the NRL after the announcement of an extended broadcast deal with Foxtel until the end of 2027.

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V'landys and Foxtel CEO Patrick Delany reached the agreement after weeks of negotiations and comes hours before the restart of the NRL season.

The deal, which keeps live NRL on Fox League for an additional five years after the expiry of the current deal in 2022, is a massive win for rugby league fans and Foxtel customers who won't miss a minute of the action.

The deal provides certainty for the next five years with an extended Foxtel partnership until 2027, and the next three years with Nine with the renewal of the existing contract until 2022.

In a media release on Thursday, ARLC Chairman Peter V'landys thanked both broadcast partners and said the agreement was a win for fans, the game and all partners.

"I want to thank Foxtel CEO Patrick Delany and Nine CEO Hugh Marks for reaching a broadcast agreement that puts the fans and the game's future first," Mr V'landys said.

"I am delighted to have worked with our long-standing partners Foxtel and Nine to reshape and resume the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership. It is significant that on one of the most important days in our game's history, we have finalised the deal to ensure its future.

"Our negotiations were tough but always in a spirit of goodwill and shared ambitions for the betterment of rugby league. We could not have reached our May 28 restart ambitions without the teamwork and collaboration of our partners."

The agreement with broadcasters continues the current structure:

- Foxtel will show all eight games every weekend - including five exclusive telecasts each weekend;

- Nine will continue to televise three games - Thursday and Friday nights, plus Sunday afternoon;

- The last five Saturday night games of each season will continue to be broadcast on Foxtel and on Nine in the build up to the Finals series;

- Nine will continue its exclusive coverage of the three State of Origin matches, to be held this year on November 4, 11 and 18.

"Foxtel is incredibly pleased to support the NRL through this difficult period and to have footy back on Foxtel this weekend, every round, every game, live and ad free during play," Mr Delany said.

"This is a great outcome for footy, for fans and for players. It's also a hugely important signal to everyone in Australia, and around the world, that we will get through these times, and we can keep players and coaching staff safe while we all enjoy the game.

"The agreement between Foxtel and the NRL extends our existing broadcast rights for a further 5 years and cements our position as the Home of NRL until 2027. It provides the NRL with the certainty to continue to develop the status of the game and gives fans the go-to destination for the best of NRL, all in one place.

"Being back on the field and back on air tonight doesn't happen without leadership. I want to acknowledge Peter V'landys and everyone at the NRL and the clubs for their passion to get the game back. It's been outstanding.

"We have also had incredible support from the New South Wales and Queensland Governments and from Prime Minister Morrison. It really has been a team Australia effort and it shows us all what can be accomplished through co-operation, even in the most difficult of times."

https://leagueunlimited.com/news/34573-nrl-and-fox-sports-reach-broadcast-deal-extension-agreement/

Latest posts