What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd3: Parra v Brisbane GAME DAY thread 28/5/20

Happy MEel

First Grade
This is going to be an unpopular opinion but I don’t see what we lose having Niukore at lock instead of Brown, except a wasted 4th tackle. We also gain a few hundred thousand in the salary cap.

Brown’s a decent player but what he offers can be offered by far less expensive players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I agree.
It's a tough call this game after the lay off.
Who knows what this match holds for us?
We have a good squad. Better than the Bronc's I reckon. It just comes down to whether we can put it together on the night.
Our first two games weren't that impressive tbh.
I thought we were patient and professional in both games. Against the Titans and Broncos we just hung in there until they imploded, then we ran away with it. Very pro. The Dogs threw very little at us but they also hung in there for 80 minutes.

That said, I thought we would lose a close one tonight.

Bazal

Post Whore
This is going to be an unpopular opinion but I don’t see what we lose having Niukore at lock instead of Brown, except a wasted 4th tackle. We also gain a few hundred thousand in the salary cap.

Brown’s a decent player but what he offers can be offered by far less expensive players.

Brown is still easily the better player IMO. I don't see Brown missing the tackle on Croft to get him through the line, either.

Plus Marata off the bench is an option in the middle or on an edge. End of contract sure, and it's unpopular with many but Alvaro can also make a damn good fist of lock...but while Brown is here, he's the option for me.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Brown is still easily the better player IMO. I don't see Brown missing the tackle on Croft to get him through the line, either.

Plus Marata off the bench is an option in the middle or on an edge. End of contract sure, and it's unpopular with many but Alvaro can also make a damn good fist of lock...but while Brown is here, he's the option for me.
I don’t agree it’s that clear cut. He’s certainly more experienced, but in our structure where the lock touches the ball so much, I don’t think he’s our best option. I don’t see Brown scoring Niukore’s try as he doesn’t have the power or footwork.

I agree he makes our top 17 right now, but I’d be doing everything in my power to free up some of that cap space next year...even if we’re paying some of it. Either Matto or Niukore offers more in attack as a lock than both Brown or Alvaro.

Bazal

Post Whore
I don’t agree it’s that clear cut. He’s certainly more experienced, but in our structure, I don’t think he’s our best luck. I don’t see Brown scoring Niukore’s try as he doesn’t have the power or footwork.

I agree he makes our top 17 right now, but I’d be doing everything in my power to free up some of that cap space next year...even if we’re paying some of it. Either Matto or Niukore offers more in attack as a lock than both Brown or Alvaro.

I rate the guy but I don't think Niukore has many skills tbh. Brown certainly has a better passing game when he chooses to use it, and I disagree he doesn't have the same power. I've also not yet seen Niukore get close to Browns motor.

Of all our forwards Brown is the one you can count on to give the same effort every game, well on top or well behind. That's valuable.

Matto is far better suited to the edge IMO

Happy MEel

First Grade
I reckon Niukore should've come with him. It's the responsibility of the inside defender to keep up with the outside man.
Sure, but it makes it incredibly difficult when the guy marked up on the attacker completely avoids him. It was a terrible read from Matto which exposed a bit of laziness from Niukore.

Glenneel

Bench

And Niukore less likely to lose temper and give away penalty or cop suspension.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I rate the guy but I don't think Niukore has many skills tbh. Brown certainly has a better passing game when he chooses to use it, and I disagree he doesn't have the same power. I've also not yet seen Niukore get close to Browns motor.

Of all our forwards Brown is the one you can count on to give the same effort every game, well on top or well behind. That's valuable.

Matto is far better suited to the edge IMO
We have plenty of forwards that can promote the footy and I think Brown isn’t particularly good at it.

We’ll have to agree to disagree about the power, Brown gets dominated more often than not (unless he has a quick play the ball and a retreating defence - anyone should benefit from that).

We clearly don’t need our lock to have a massive motor as we have other middles that can play big minutes. We played with 15 players for 60 minutes FFS.

Matto is good on the edge but you clearly didn’t watch many Tigers games last year. He was sensational in the middle.

Dibs

Bench

I think him and his management agree with you which is why he took up his option

Happy MEel

First Grade
I actually think Brown is better suited to the small middle role Stone is playing off the bench. He would be excellent at the back end of the half with tiring defences and/or to provide energy at the back end of the game.

Bazal

Post Whore
We have plenty of forwards that can promote the footy and I think Brown isn’t particularly good at it.

We’ll have to agree to disagree about the power, Brown gets dominated more often than not (unless he has a quick play the ball and a retreating defence - anyone should benefit from that).

We clearly don’t need our lock to have a massive motor as we have other middles that can play big minutes. We played with 15 players for 60 minutes FFS.

Matto is good on the edge but you clearly didn’t watch many Tigers games last year. He was sensational in the middle.

On Matto, I'm not at all saying he's not good in the middle. But a guy with the skills he has, for mine and in the team we have, is way more useful on an edge. Look how often we go the edge forward... Much rather have Matto running off Moses hip than Niukore or, God forbid, Taka.