What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 ratings

This round, we're on par with AFL for crowds though ;-)

However, I'd hazard a guess to say season vs season, for 2020, the NRL's crowds for their First Grade men's comps are higher.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Friday night March 20

FTA

AFL Seven/7mate
Western Bulldogs v Collingwood
464,000 Metro
156,000 Regional
620,000 National

NRL Nine/Gem
Broncos v Rabbitohs
382,000 Metro
217,000 Regional
599,000 National

Subscription

AFL Fox Footy
Western Bulldogs v Collingwood 207,000

NRL Fox League
Broncos v Rabbitohs 289,000
Dragons v Panthers 210,000

A-League Fox Sports
Brisbane v Newcastle 19,000
Central Coast v Melbourne City 9,000

https://www.mediaweek.com.au/tv-ratings-friday-march-20-2020/

TheRam

Coach
American sports enthusiasts turn their attention to the AFL amid coronavirus outbreak
As American sports fans self-isolate in their homes, their attention has shifted towards the only sport remaining on television — Australian rules football.

Sports fans across the globe are self-isolating in hope of preventing the spread of the coronavirus outbreak, which has inadvertently given the AFL some additional viewers.

Most international sporting competitions have been postponed or cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak, including but not limited to the NBA, English Premier League, F1 and Super Rugby.

As sports enthusiasts desperately search for something to watch amid a global health crisis, the American community have surprisingly turned their attention to Australian rules football.

The AFL competition is being played on US television channel Fox Sports 1 this week, simply because there is nothing else to broadcast.

Australian rules football has proven a surprise hit, American football analyst Pat McAfee labelling it his “new favourite sport”.

“I’ve watched one quarter of Aussie rules Football and I already know that this sport was supposed to be my calling back in the day,” McAfee tweeted to his 1.7 million followers.

“This was supposed to be my sport. When my child arrives in the next couple years, his ass is gonna be punting and punching balls all around the house.

“Is this the biggest field I’ve ever seen something played on? I think so … The AFL’s review system is also great. This is insane.

“Also, a referee just threw a ball like 65 yards. It’s perfect … I can’t believe this is my first time watching a game. This is amazing.

“I’m not ready to declare my fandom just yet. I think that’s going to be a rather large decision for me … Still trying to figure what the hell’s going on first. Seems like Essendon is a dominant force though.”

McAfee even praised the performance of Essendon star Jake Stringer.

“Stringer’s a playmaker. Can I buy his jersey? And is it a sleeveless as well?”

During Fox Footy’s coverage of Essendon vs. Fremantle, Collingwood President Eddie McGuire revealed News Corp CEO Robert Thomson was watching the AFL round one match from New York.

Dozens of other American sporting fans have voiced their new-found love for AFL on Twitter. One sporting fan posted: “I have no idea what is going on but it’s quite possibly the most entertained that I’ve been for days”.

Another gentleman posted: “This s**t kinda lit. Still haven’t figured out how they score yet.”

One more said: “This is an awesome sport. You should totally try it out if you’re an American soccer fan. It’s way more free-flowing than rugby or American football”.

Sport has provided a source of comfort and familiarity during a scary period for many. One American tweeted, “Aussie rules football may be my lifeline from this dystopian nightmare”.

A second fan said: “Do not talk to me while the Australian Football League is one, it is literally all I have in life now”.

Another posted: “Apparently all we need to get the US sporting public into AFL is a good ol’ global pandemic”.

NFL Green Bay Packers player Oren Burks even shared his interest in the Australian sport on Twitter.

“Caught a Sydney Giants AFL game in 2017 and really enjoyed it … Man I miss sports!” Burks posted on Saturday.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/a...k/news-story/f4195404a950acc8f8763cd0661f6661

So what is the NRL doing while they are kicking goals around the world? Anyone know? Are we being left behind again?

Nerd

Bench
American sports enthusiasts turn their attention to the AFL amid coronavirus outbreak
As American sports fans self-isolate in their homes, their attention has shifted towards the only sport remaining on television — Australian rules football.

Sports fans across the globe are self-isolating in hope of preventing the spread of the coronavirus outbreak, which has inadvertently given the AFL some additional viewers.

Most international sporting competitions have been postponed or cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak, including but not limited to the NBA, English Premier League, F1 and Super Rugby.

As sports enthusiasts desperately search for something to watch amid a global health crisis, the American community have surprisingly turned their attention to Australian rules football.

The AFL competition is being played on US television channel Fox Sports 1 this week, simply because there is nothing else to broadcast.

Australian rules football has proven a surprise hit, American football analyst Pat McAfee labelling it his “new favourite sport”.

“I’ve watched one quarter of Aussie rules Football and I already know that this sport was supposed to be my calling back in the day,” McAfee tweeted to his 1.7 million followers.

“This was supposed to be my sport. When my child arrives in the next couple years, his ass is gonna be punting and punching balls all around the house.

“Is this the biggest field I’ve ever seen something played on? I think so … The AFL’s review system is also great. This is insane.

“Also, a referee just threw a ball like 65 yards. It’s perfect … I can’t believe this is my first time watching a game. This is amazing.

“I’m not ready to declare my fandom just yet. I think that’s going to be a rather large decision for me … Still trying to figure what the hell’s going on first. Seems like Essendon is a dominant force though.”

During Fox Footy’s coverage of Essendon vs. Fremantle, Collingwood President Eddie McGuire revealed News Corp CEO Robert Thomson was watching the AFL round one match from New York.

Dozens of other American sporting fans have voiced their new-found love for AFL on Twitter. One sporting fan posted: “I have no idea what is going on but it’s quite possibly the most entertained that I’ve been for days”.

Another gentleman posted: “This s**t kinda lit. Still haven’t figured out how they score yet.”

One more said: “This is an awesome sport. You should totally try it out if you’re an American soccer fan. It’s way more free-flowing than rugby or American football”.

Sport has provided a source of comfort and familiarity during a scary period for many. One American tweeted, “Aussie rules football may be my lifeline from this dystopian nightmare”.

A second fan said: “Do not talk to me while the Australian Football League is one, it is literally all I have in life now”.

Another posted: “Apparently all we need to get the US sporting public into AFL is a good ol’ global pandemic”.

NFL Green Bay Packers player Oren Burks even shared his interest in the Australian sport on Twitter.

“Caught a Sydney Giants AFL game in 2017 and really enjoyed it … Man I miss sports!” Burks posted on Saturday.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/a...k/news-story/f4195404a950acc8f8763cd0661f6661

So what is the NRL doing while they are kicking goals around the world? Anyone know? Are we being left behind again?
Isn't the NRL on ESPN?

Lol kicking goals around the world
A news ltd article .
The kings of bullshit & you're getting upset about it

DIOGENES

Juniors

What a pity, within a centimetre of becoming the world’s leading sport and it’s cancelled

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
It always surprises me how few people in our cities watch sport.
I reckon I know far more people who could not give two shtyes about sport.

One of best friends buys the entire foxtel package excluding sport, not sure why I talk to him and he says the same about me when I wont go out cause the Sharks are playing.

Not suprised at all, and the younger they are the less they care for contact sport.