What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

I know it's too late but wouldn't that be the best plan? And should've been done in the first place, 70-75k SFS with club mode (since its unlikely the CBD will get one and thats the closest), knock down ANZ and sell off the land for development, redistribute savings to suburban grounds OR 1-2 more WSSs where needed

It would’ve been very difficult at that particular site with the residents, getting 70k in and out without a train line is a nightmare. I would’ve liked to see the central station idea get up.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Perth’s $1.6 billion Optus Stadium has reportedly missed out on hosting the Indian cricket team and captain Virat Kohli this summer.

Cricket Australia has been caught in the middle of a tug of war between Perth and Brisbane after Indian cricket authorities confirmed this summer’s tour will only include four tests between Australia and India.

With the MCG, SCG and Adelaide Oval already locked in, the Gabba and Optus Stadium have been competing for months for the rights to host the first test of the series.

Governments fighting over events, stadiums are government business in AU.

LINK

blue bags

First Grade
Two of the NSW government's most controversial projects are in serious doubt; the Powerhouse Museum relocation and the ANZ Stadium upgrade.

greenBV4

Bench
Two of the NSW government's most controversial projects are in serious doubt; the Powerhouse Museum relocation and the ANZ Stadium upgrade.

(if this is true) Its funny seeing how differently different states choose to handle things, NSW looking to cuts projects to save money, and Im pretty sure I saw somewhere that VIC is doing the opposite, starting another "construction blitz" to stimulate the economy + jobs

flippikat

Bench
As much as Vlandys seems to like a bit of a fight for the code, he also seems very Sydney-centric in his view for the game, I don't think he would send the GF interstate and would instead renegotiate with the NSW Gov

Yep.. and that's the one big concern I have with him.

For all the achievements he's made in getting the competition going again, there just doesn't seem to be a roadmap of how to expand (and by that I don't just mean top-tier teams in new markets).

While it's true that Covid-19 has put a lot of businesses growth/expansion plans on the back burner, there's still a need to plan for the recovery.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Yep.. and that's the one big concern I have with him.

For all the achievements he's made in getting the competition going again, there just doesn't seem to be a roadmap of how to expand (and by that I don't just mean top-tier teams in new markets).

While it's true that Covid-19 has put a lot of businesses growth/expansion plans on the back burner, there's still a need to plan for the recovery.

I think his edict at the moment is getting the game profitable and putting cash reserves aside. From there it's much easier to look at expansion.

a few thoughts
I think the GF, origins, et all
should all be up for the highest bidder.
if WA gov wanted to spend 100 million to host the GF at the big thing they have there they should be able to do it.
As to suburban grounds. i would much rather see the teams like Wests, upgrade Campbelltown and not Leichardt. but they should just play at bank west tbh.

greenBV4

Bench
a few thoughts
if WA gov wanted to spend 100 million to host the GF at the big thing they have there they should be able to do it.
As to suburban grounds. i would much rather see the teams like Wests, upgrade Campbelltown and not Leichardt. but they should just play at bank west tbh.
I think its working with the 3rd origin game and would for the GF as well, and it would also bring in some extra $$$

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL needs to maximise non media revenue. Selling big events is a key way to do so. The justification for keeping it in Sydney just because the NSW Govt actually did their job and upgraded sporting infrastructure is a joke.

NRL has the following marquee events it sells or could sell:

All-Stars
Club Nines
World Nines
SOO 1 game
GF
Magic weekend
Internationals

Then support for club games to be taken on the road

NRL needs to maximise non media revenue. Selling big events is a key way to do so. The justification for keeping it in Sydney just because the NSW Govt actually did their job and upgraded sporting infrastructure is a joke.

NRL has the following marquee events it sells or could sell:

All-Stars
Club Nines
World Nines
SOO 1 game
GF
Magic weekend
Internationals

Then support for club games to be taken on the road

look at the potential revenue just there

Perth Red

Post Whore
look at the potential revenue just there
One area they could get more involved is in negotiating deals for games on the road. At the moment it is left to clubs and is random and not very strategic. Maybe the NRL should be allowed to control 1 or 2 home fixtures each club to sell to other venues. Clubs get 80% and NRL 20% of deal. They would also be better placed to be driving marketing and corporate sales for these on the road events, again with a slice of the pie going each way.

beave

Coach
Oh cool, the goal posts move yet again and the NRL will just bend over again and take it in the ass again.

V’landys won’t take the GF out of Sydney, nor will he even threaten the state gov, he’s a Sydney boy through and through.

magpie_man

Juniors
a few thoughts

Agreed. A Superbowl style floating GF would be a game-changer for the NRL.
AFL GF will never leave Melbourne.

Latest posts