What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One Ref

unforgiven

Bench
Folks want fatigue in the game, but what we saw last night was fatigue heavily proportioned to one team as the Broncos were the ones to concede the first couple of 6 agains and concede tries so have much more to do in defence. If that becomes the trend, then expect blowouts. Those Parra tries in the second half were soft as butter.

Yes, fatigue is expected but if it becomes disproportionate in most games, is it really good for the game?

An idea I saw raised on another forum was if that becomes a problem to return to the Super League rule of scorer kicks off. I think that would help stop momentum going too far to one side which I think may be the only problem with this new rule.

Frailty

First Grade
An idea I saw raised on another forum was if that becomes a problem to return to the Super League rule of scorer kicks off. I think that would help stop momentum going too far to one side which I think may be the only problem with this new rule.

Much like my previous post, using this game as the sole sample would be silly to make conclusions. Especially when you consider that the ball handling from unforced errors put the Broncos under far more pressure.

Parra also forced 5 drop outs. It was much more likely a combination of Parramatta playing well and the Broncos being awful, rather than one sided momentum caused by a rule change.

unforgiven

Bench
Much like my previous post, using this game as the sole sample would be silly to make conclusions. Especially when you consider that the ball handling from unforced errors put the Broncos under far more pressure.

Parra also forced 5 drop outs. It was much more likely a combination of Parramatta playing well and the Broncos being awful, rather than one sided momentum caused by a rule change.
Did you see the if in my post? I do think the Broncos errors came from being fatigued though, but this could change as they get fitter after the covid layoff. The Broncos whole game is based off their big forwards though and maybe they will need to make a change there and I don't have a problem if they do need to make that change.

Still Nutty

Juniors
I'm OK with the one ref but we need to be mindful that some of the previous rule changes over the period of 2 refs need to be thought through now - particularly on how it will bring the fatigue factor into refereeing consistency;

For example, the ability for a quick tap restart for a dead in goal now puts significant strain on the one referee to be in position to allow that to happen consistently - it might be OK at the start of a game but the pressure on a ref operating at the 79th minute or during golden point extra time to be in position to allow the same consistency of opportunity is going to be affected by his level of fatigue, which will ultimately have an impact of advantaging or disadvantaging a team over the course of a match.

If you couple this with the 6 again rule being applied, this will also potentially increase the fatigue factor for extended periods of effort on effort for referees as well as oppositions, where there isn't a break in play. Whilst players in these circumstances may get a chance for a breather once they have possession of the ball, one ref isn't going to get the luxury of having a breather whilst play is still progressing.

This is not about referee fitness - they are already at a fairly elite level to do the role now. It's about the demands of the game flow that has evolved to have 2 on the field to cover for each other on occasion...that is no longer available when 1 ref is out on the field for the duration.

They may need to revisit how some of the modern rule interpretations and structures are designed to speed the game up and, in particular, how they now impact on the practical ability of one referee to be able to physically maintain their performance CONSISTENTLY throughout the game.

What do others think?

snickers007

Juniors
Folks want fatigue in the game, but what we saw last night was fatigue heavily proportioned to one team as the Broncos were the ones to concede the first couple of 6 agains and concede tries so have much more to do in defence. If that becomes the trend, then expect blowouts. Those Parra tries in the second half were soft as butter.

Yes, fatigue is expected but if it becomes disproportionate in most games, is it really good for the game?

Broncos are just dumb f**ks.
There are plenty of ways to give away penalties in the ruck to get that breather - rather than conceding 6 again eg. strip the ball, or don't square up at marker.

A smart team like Melbourne will start giving away these penalties inside their red zone, instead of the hand on the ball penalties of previous years.

Additionally, Eels were very good at forcing repeat sets through drop-outs and errors.

This Year?

Immortal
I bagged the way the Change was made, I’m a big fan of the one ref. The six again jury is still out for me. It’s going to cost someone a game at some point when they dont get a kick able penalty.
The way I see it some infringements aren't worthy of a shot at goal much like the differential in a scrum. I can see what you're getting at with it being used late in a game to waste time. Maybe that will then become a professional foul which will then become a kickable penalty.

betcats

Referee
Big shout out to last nights ref. Spotlight was on him and he managed the pressure well. After all Vlandys criticism of them I hope he sent him a text saying well done.

Vlandys doesnt thank his minions for doing a good job, he just allows them to keep existing.

betcats

Referee
Less kicks for touch, less penalty goals is a good thing - keep the ball in play. I hate seeing teams take 2 minutes to slot a goal from right in front. Then they gotta go back for the kick off. The jury is still out but i liked what i saw a lot last night.

betcats

Referee
It also reduces the amount of chances captains get to bitch and moan at refs now with one ref and holding down penalties not stopping the game.

lockyno1

Post Whore
I bagged the way the Change was made, I’m a big fan of the one ref. The six again jury is still out for me. It’s going to cost someone a game at some point when they dont get a kick able penalty.

Play on quick and you get a try. Refs can still blow a penalty as shown last night

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
Here's some important factors to remembers:
  • One game doesn't make a sample size. To call this a 'success' after one game is ridiculous.
  • Neither the Broncos or Eels were known to be amongst the teams with the most wrestle.
  • It was the first game back with a lot of build up - the intensity and pace was always going to be there.
  • Commentators took a very rose-coloured look at the officiating. Paul Vautin said that the 10m looked like 7-8 a lot of the time - but it was for both teams so it's fine. That's not the usual perspective for commentators to have. Even forwarded passes they didn't agree with they responded with 'I don't know about that' and then would carry on.
  • It hasn't sped up the play the ball area. The average PTB time for the Broncos was 3.4 seconds. This has compared to 3.48 and 3.53 in their previous two games (0.1 second faster). For the Eels, it was 4.03 seconds where previous games were 4 and 3.54 respectively. If we look at the PTB for their opponents - Eels opponents in Rounds 1 and 2 both had a PTB speed of 3.4 (exactly the same as the Broncos), whilst Broncos opponents 1 and 2 had PTB speeds of 3.87 and 3.75 (both faster than last night)
  • "There was more ad lib play". Had more to do with Offloads which Parramatta dominated 20 to 5.
  • "It brought fatigue back into the game" - I guess have an impromptu 9 weeks off where players couldn't train as a team had nothing to do with it.
I'm not saying it will be a failure, but can we just pull back on praising the changes after one game.

so basically from point 4 , instead of saying the commentators were looking at it with rose coloured glasses , MAYBE JUST MAYBE it’s the frekin media/ commentators fault that everyone has been so obsessed with how refs officiated .
Instead of having GUS (admittedly been years since I watched that shithole coverage ) harp on a decision 5 minutes and then have someone like buzz run with the outcry the following day in the paper , wouldn’t it be nice if the SAID FKALL about refs decision and just play on .

AnonymousLurker

Juniors

Maybe you should blame the donkeys (in this case) coach and players for not following the rules .
It’s not different to how Harrigan would blow early penalties to settle a game . If players aren’t coached to break rules they won’t be effected also without having a 2nd ref in the ruck nitpicking , the players will be fully to blame

Delboy

First Grade
The 6 again calls last night were not on last tackles , basically early in the count, so not so much an advantage as first seems. What was an issue is teams like the Storm giving away penalties in their own 20, with Cam Smith then standing in front of the referee questioning it, getting a breather and a line reset.

Need to see how the so called "professional" coaches and teams , Storm and Roosters per se , manipulate the changes to mangle the intent. The wrestle, slowing down the ruck, 3rd man in when held and chicken wing and neck twist all have their origins guess where.

4 to 6 games needed to confirm its all good, or wtf.

Latest posts