What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Cactus

Juniors
LOL. That is just so funny that you mistakingly think you have won an argument. You are wrong a lot arn't you.

From someone who had to be corrected because he couldn’t understand basic contractual principals. Funny as.

Frailty

First Grade
So not only did Channel Nine put the footy on GEM in Melbourne last night, but they couldn't spare time after the game for post-match coverage. They had to quickly break to "World's Worst Flights".

The sooner Channel Nine are f**ked off, the better.

greenBV4

Bench
So not only did Channel Nine put the footy on GEM in Melbourne last night, but they couldn't spare time after the game for post-match coverage. They had to quickly break to "World's Worst Flights".

The sooner Channel Nine are f**ked off, the better.
is there a way to see ratings for 9 vs GEM? I would be interested to see if re-runs of RBT actually out rate the NRL, even with the extra viewers from it being on the main channel I would like to think surely not

Frailty

First Grade
is there a way to see ratings for 9 vs GEM? I would be interested to see if re-runs of RBT actually out rate the NRL, even with the extra viewers from it being on the main channel I would like to think surely not

To be honest, I'm not that phased about it being on GEM - though I think it's absurd to move live sport so you can show RBT for an hour and then another repeat of Jason Bourne. There is a HD version of it, and everyone should have access to it so not really a big issue.

But why not show the full coverage? They've done it with Origin the last few years I've lived down here. No shield presentation, no break down of the game.

To be honest, I'm not that phased about it being on GEM - though I think it's absurd to move live sport so you can show RBT for an hour and then another repeat of Jason Bourne. There is a HD version of it, and everyone should have access to it so not really a big issue.

But why not show the full coverage? They've done it with Origin the last few years I've lived down here. No shield presentation, no break down of the game.

Reason is that Channel 9 think "its Melbourne, it's not AFL so it won't rate" just like they always say "We have to have a Qld base team for the Thursday/Friday night game otherwise it won't rate in Qld". They stick to those mantras religiously and are completely risk averse, which is why just about everything they do smacks of being clapped out and tired as they rarely do anything new.

seanoff

Juniors
https://tvtonight.com.au/2020/05/thursday-28-may-2020.html

Have fun.
Was out rated on the multi channels by Shaun the sheep, number blocks, Hawaii 5-0, Floogals, Bargain Hunt etc. Didn’t make the top 20.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Have fun.
Was out rated on the multi channels by Shaun the sheep, number blocks, Hawaii 5-0, Floogals, Bargain Hunt etc. Didn’t make the top 20.

Not surprising given it would only be 3 of 5 cities and around 40k all up I would imagine. Dont forget in Perth and Adelaide it is up against early evening programming like the news, and most self respecting RL fans would have given up watching it on FTA a long time ago in the afl states. .

Knight76

Juniors
The thing is this isn't up to the NRL so given they have gone public, one can only assume they have got information from the government that sport crowds in July is the goal.

Doubtful, Vlandy's seems to be very forward on what he wants to happen then just pushes it through.

Apparently 500 going to be allowed back in clubs soon, 500 is well short of 10,000 but it's a start.

unforgiven

Bench

Have fun.
That doesn't show it was out rated by those shows. A combined 107000 could have watched the Rugby League in Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne and it wouldn't show up on that list as it is competing with shows that showed in all 5 states and it doesn't include 2 of them.

Storm80

Juniors
LOL. That is just so funny that you mistakingly think you have won an argument. You are wrong a lot arn't you.

From someone who had to be corrected because he couldn’t understand basic contractual principals. Funny as.

Haha I've been 100% vindicated and you know it.

So this is a summary of how negotiations went:

Nine to NRL - "There is no longer a contract because NRL can't deliver 25 rounds etc in 2020. We will save $130m in 2020 if we don't broadcast the NRL in 2020. So we have no contractual obligation or financial incentive to broadcast the game this year."

NRL to Nine - "How about we discount you $119m over the remainder of the 2018-2022 media deal but we'll talk tough in the media and carry on like there is still a binding contract"

Nine to NRL - "Do want you want so long as we end up with a discount in the region of the $130m we'll save if we don't broadcast in 2020".

NRL to Nine - "Deal"

Cactus, Nine got absolutely everything they wanted because there was no "legally binding contract" in place after the NRL couldn't deliver the 25 round season, internationals and SOG in the winter months of 2020.

It's ok to admit when you are wrong Cactus.

I was happy to admit I was wrong about my early interpretation of the Act of God clause, but it appears I was never wrong about the the contract being breached by the NRL and unenforceable after the COVID19 shutdown.

There's exactly $119,000,000 reasons why I been right all along Cactus haha LOLs (as you would say)

Perth Red

Post Whore

Nine to NRL - "There is no longer a contract because NRL can't deliver 25 rounds etc in 2020. We will save $130m in 2020 if we don't broadcast the NRL in 2020. So we have no contractual obligation or financial incentive to broadcast the game this year."

NRL to Nine - "How about we discount you $119m over the remainder of the 2018-2022 media deal but we'll talk tough in the media and carry on like there is still a binding contract"

Nine to NRL - "Do want you want so long as we end up with a discount in the region of the $130m we'll save if we don't broadcast in 2020".

NRL to Nine - "Deal"

Cactus, Nine got absolutely everything they wanted because there was no "legally binding contract" in place after the NRL couldn't deliver the 25 round season, internationals and SOG in the winter months of 2020.

I was happy to admit I was wrong about my early interpretation of the Act of God clause, but it appears I was never wrong about the the contract being breached by the NRL and unenforceable after the COVID19 shutdown.

There's exactly $119,000,000 reasons why I been right all along Cactus haha LOLs (as you would say)

You might be right, but Masters take on Greenberg getting sacked because he told Nine the contract wasnt void and they would be held accountable to it is an interesting counter argument. If that is the case Vlandys has been very very generous with the NRL's money to avoid a court case.
Or as you say he might have agreed it as his advice was the whole contract was null and void (in which case the NRL's lawyers want a fcking massive stick up them for not protecting the game in event of an enforced shut down) . Hard to know for sure.

Cactus

Juniors

NRL to Nine - "Deal"

It takes a certain type of loser to just start making sh!t up in an effort to disguise their stupidity.

If it wasn't so funny it would be very sad indeed.

unforgiven

Bench

NRL to Nine - "Deal"

Again you do not know that! I have told you that so many times.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And they still control scheduling on top of it

and still treat the game like sht in afl states.
Cracking deal by Hugh. Just goes t show it’s worth shtting on the game in public as you then get what you want!
Ceo who was holding them to their contract, gone. Big reduction in cost, done. Game over.

Last edited:

Latest posts