What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One Ref

Perth Red

Post Whore
One very noticeable thing was how much the Brisbane big boys struggled with the pace of the game. Could we be signalling the end of the 115kg plus forwards?

Angry_eel

First Grade
Here's some important factors to remembers:
  • One game doesn't make a sample size. To call this a 'success' after one game is ridiculous.
  • Neither the Broncos or Eels were known to be amongst the teams with the most wrestle.
  • It was the first game back with a lot of build up - the intensity and pace was always going to be there.
  • Commentators took a very rose-coloured look at the officiating. Paul Vautin said that the 10m looked like 7-8 a lot of the time - but it was for both teams so it's fine. That's not the usual perspective for commentators to have. Even forwarded passes they didn't agree with they responded with 'I don't know about that' and then would carry on.
  • It hasn't sped up the play the ball area. The average PTB time for the Broncos was 3.4 seconds. This has compared to 3.48 and 3.53 in their previous two games (0.1 second faster). For the Eels, it was 4.03 seconds where previous games were 4 and 3.54 respectively. If we look at the PTB for their opponents - Eels opponents in Rounds 1 and 2 both had a PTB speed of 3.4 (exactly the same as the Broncos), whilst Broncos opponents 1 and 2 had PTB speeds of 3.87 and 3.75 (both faster than last night)
  • "There was more ad lib play". Had more to do with Offloads which Parramatta dominated 20 to 5.
  • "It brought fatigue back into the game" - I guess have an impromptu 9 weeks off where players couldn't train as a team had nothing to do with it.
I'm not saying it will be a failure, but can we just pull back on praising the changes after one game.

I think being the first game after 2 months, commentators were being easy on the refs. Wait for 5 rounds, and they will be crucifying the refs.

blaza88z

Coach
Surprised we only got done by 30 looking at the stats, 6-1 "restart" count in their favor, we made 150 more tackles, they had 17 more sets than us, ran an extra 1000 metres, it just goes on and on.

I think the starts of the games are going to be as important as ever, might see teams like Melbourne kick it into touch quite frequently.

blaza88z

Coach
One very noticeable thing was how much the Brisbane big boys struggled with the pace of the game. Could we be signalling the end of the 115kg plus forwards?

You take the 3 best backrowers out of any club, you'll see something similar to last night.

T-Boon

Coach
I think being the first game after 2 months, commentators were being easy on the refs. Wait for 5 rounds, and they will be crucifying the refs.

Agreed. They run out of things to say so they fall back on bitching about the refs. Anasta is an example of a guy with no inciteful things to say. He cant talk about the game for long without either going silent or falling back on ref bashing. Actually they are all the like that except Sterlo.

siv

First Grade
Trial fatigue will be a factor for first 3 rounds

Once everyone is fit by Round 4 we will see the real fatgue

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
So, is this the new normal?
Whichever side gets the best of the first 20 minutes will wear the other side out and go on to a big win?

The halftime/fulltime betting must be going off. So far its one way traffic.

beave

Coach
Perenara missed a blatant legs hit
on Jake Clifford last night in the first set of the game when he went to kick on the last.

There is too much going on for mine (especially now with the 6 again rule) for one person to accurately adjudicate on our game. Quick restarts from balls rolling dead in goal are going to be hard now because the ref is up monitoring the ball.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Perenara missed a blatant legs hit
on Jake Clifford last night in the first set of the game when he went to kick on the last.

There is too much going on for mine (especially now with the 6 again rule) for one person to accurately adjudicate on our game. Quick restarts from balls rolling dead in goal are going to be hard now because the ref is up monitoring the ball.

The first instance should have been watched by the touchie.

The second I can live with. Can't stand the way teams are punished with seven tackle sets anyway.

Perenara was a drop in quality from the ref on Thursday night, mainly in allowing the Titans to hold slumber parties in the ruck.

beave

Coach
The first instance should have been watched by the touchie.

The second I can live with. Can't stand the way teams are punished with seven tackle sets anyway.

Perenara was a drop in quality from the ref on Thursday night, mainly in allowing the Titans to hold slumber parties in the ruck.

disagree on the touchie mate, well partly I disagree as yes he should have picked up on it, but i can understand why he didn’t, hear me out on this one.

On the last, that short side touchie is most likely going to be concerned with starting his sprint downfield as early and as quickly as he can in anticipation for the kick on the last , and the far side touchie is 60m away so probably too far to be really making accurate calls. I just watched it again, the touchie that should have made the call on that short side was out of shot for the start of the play but he comes into shot as the kicked ball is falling and he is about 20m upfield. I just think that 2nd ref in the situation allows for the touchie to get downfield and make better calls on players receiving a kick/bomb and monitoring the sideline and any foul play on the kicker is picked up by the pocket ref.

Agree with you on the 7 tackle sets, IMO it needs to go.

siv

First Grade
Umbrella defense is back

No one is watching the 10m

It is also not stopping the wrestle. Good wrestling teams will still wrestle. And if they want to slow down the game on the 20m zone will just give away a proper penalty

gerg

Juniors
Umbrella defense is back

No one is watching the 10m

It is also not stopping the wrestle. Good wrestling teams will still wrestle. And if they want to slow down the game on the 20m zone will just give away a proper penalty

Roosters were offside while defending their line for most of the game. Klein also missed an offside kick chase which resulted in a Souths dropout. Maybe it could be put down to Klein being out of his depth more than the 'one ref' rule.

siv

First Grade
Roosters were offside while defending their line for most of the game. Klein also missed an offside kick chase which resulted in a Souths dropout. Maybe it could be put down to Klein being out of his depth more than the 'one ref' rule.

We are back to the old

Different referees will referee games differently

And rule interpretations or infringement focus varies

I generally disagree, and B Anasta criticising the ref when L Mitchell dropped the ball cold was nowhere to be seen when J Friend scored, players win and lose matches not the ref. STOP CRITICISING REFEREES, THE REF IS GOD.