What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

today is a good day

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I disagree 100% I enjoy all sports except for the AFL (I find it stupid) and have been a Reds season holder for most of my life. Some people at the Reds are very snobby and anti league. I've gotten some very snide remarks about being a Rugby League fan. I've had people on my dads family call league every name under the sun for no reason at all.

And then they take our coaches........how ironic

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can you paste please, stuck behind a paywall. Cheers
Apologies

Incoming Rugby Australia chairman Hamish McLennan said he was hoping to build on Andrew Forrest’s decision to allow the Western Force to take part in the proposed domestic Super Rugby AU competition that is likely to start on July 3.

The competition, which carries Vodafone naming rights, will see the Force pitted against the other four Australian Super Rugby sides that they used to compete against until the franchise was axed by the then Australian Rugby Union in 2017.

McLennan hailed the Force’s return as one of the great stories of Australian rugby and acknowledged the pain the club had been through but said he now hoped to work with Forrest to reinvigorate the game right across the country.
“The return of the Western Force in an Australian based competition is a great story,” McLennan said. “We are grateful for Andrew Forrest’s support and understand that decisions made by Rugby Australia in 2017 were painful for sports fans in Western Australia and the Force players, and we are sorry that they haven’t been able to share in the rivalry against their fellow Australian teams.

“I would love to continue to work with Andrew into the future as we use this opportunity to innovate and reinvigorate rugby right across the country.

“Our Australian derby clashes are always up there with the most popular matches each season and it will be great to see those rivalries ignited again in a national competition. Wallabies spots will also be on the line as (incoming Wallabies coach) Dave Rennie and his coaching team run a keen eye over the competition ahead of the international season.

READ MORE:Twiggy picks up part of the bill as Force returns to Super Rugby|Western Force are the silver lining as Rugby Australia flails for the light|Who will pay if Force awakens?|The Quiz: test your sporting knowledge
“The players are hard at it in preparation and we can’t wait to get the season restarted on July 3,” he said.

Forrest insisted that his agreement to work with Rugby Australia at this point extended no further than this year’s domestic competition.

“Until I see evidence that reinvention is at the core of any strategic plan RA comes up with, it will be difficult to commit to a long-term investment,” Forrest said.

Interim RA chief executive Rob Clarke said that although there was still hope that Japanese side, the Sunwolves, would be able to play in the Australian competition, the knowledge that they now had five teams secured enabled RA to ramp up their discussions with their broadcaster Fox Sports and their commercial partners over the coming days.

Forrest said his desire to see rugby union return to a position of sporting prominence in Australia was at the heart of his decision to commit the WA club to Rugby Australia’s proposed one-off domestic competition this year.

“Put simply, I want what is best for rugby in Perth and in Australia and to ensure the game flourishes,” he said.

“My views on the mismanagement of the game under the previous Rugby Australia administration are well known. Change is imperative at the top for rugby to thrive long term.”

“Rugby Australia cannot afford to miss this opportunity to restructure and reinvent every aspect of the game – its governance, cost structure, rules, competition construct, partnerships with broadcasters, commitment to grassroots and, most importantly, engagement with the fans.”

He stressed that the Force’s agreement to join Australia’s four other professional franchises was for the remainder of the year only.

“I developed and launched Global Rapid Rugby across the Asia Pacific region to prove how rugby can be played – fun for the players, fast moving, high scoring and always entertaining.

“The Australian sporting public deserves to see more of that style of rugby. A game which keeps up with the times and is not mired in a myriad of laws. A game which returns rugby to its former national prominence and international appeal. A game that will be embraced by the Asia Pacific region as relevant, culture strengthening and entertaining.

“Until I see evidence that reinvention is at the core of any strategic plan RA comes up with, it will be difficult to commit to a long-term investment.”

Forrest also paid tribute to a group of ex-Wallabies captains led by Simon Poidevin and Nick Farr-Jones who had advised him.

“I am grateful for their guidance and determination to return rugby to its former glory,” Forrest said.

If the proposed competition gets the green light the Force may have to relocate to the eastern seaboard in line with Western Australia’s strict border closure. Discussions with the WA government would then continue around possible home games in Perth later this year.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...n/news-story/afcdfcc10e8fabe2b011a96ae89e5bcf

T to the T

Juniors
Thanks PR

Has Twiggy always been a rusted on unionite and was there ever a chance of him funding a NRL side?

I still think the NRL missed an opportunity when the Force were first cut. Hopefully when a second Brisbane side is admitted, a Perth side is also added

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thanks PR

Has Twiggy always been a rusted on unionite and was there ever a chance of him funding a NRL side?

I still think the NRL missed an opportunity when the Force were first cut. Hopefully when a second Brisbane side is admitted, a Perth side is also added

yes to first, no to second. He played it at uni hence his connection. I’m not sure he was that big a fan tbh. If he was you’d think he’d have been owner of the force from day one, or at least when they desperately needed funding before they got cut. He is incredibly parochial to WA and I suspect his motivation for backing the Force was more a WA thing rather than a Union thing.

as for league I suspect he has no interest, probably dislikes it in that way that union toffs tend to. We do have two multi millionaires who are big RL fans though. It’s just a shame there’s never been a serious strategy by the nrl to expand the game here since the 90’s and get them on board.

taipan

Referee
There isn't really any animosity between League and Union in QLD or the ACT. I don't think there is any in NZ either.

Seems to be more of a Sydney thing and UK of course.

In Qld at least rugby league is being played in some GPS schools ,fat chance in Sydney

colly

Juniors
i don't recall seeing so much negative press hurled at the aWfUl for some time.

can't get their shit together 1/2: https://www.smh.com.au/podcast/the-...llon-mclachlan-had-hoped-20200513-p54sou.html

can't get their shit together 2/2: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/so...up-for-afl-restart-plans-20200513-p54sqr.html

the feral bitch on player behaviour: https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/v...e/news-story/3abeb8626a28a36bcd408af57ff16e89

cross dressing stalker coach digging in deeper: https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/c...g/news-story/ff2e6b020f4055498b13d504f0015383

mass sackings similar to NRL massaged into "forced out" LOL: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/up-to-60-afl-coaches-could-be-forced-out-20200513-p54sol.html

not to be outdone, good old Vlad getting in on the action: https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...-demetriou-over-payments-20200513-p54shl.html

what a fall from grace for that human sphincter...

i can't wait for this code to die. NRL taking them to school for once. PVL pushing forward for May 28, only player on the outer is Bryce Cartwright who no one gives a shit about. reckon aWfUl will struggle to get june 11 up with victoria still taking a strict approach.

suddenly victorian clubs might have to play in QLD? lulz wtf is going on at aWfUl central? https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/af...t-wa-clubs-in-queensland-20200513-p54spi.html

More on cutting teams........AFL eating their own !

https://www.3aw.com.au/why-a-gillon-mclachlan-answer-on-3aw-concerned-gerard-healy/

Radio where "Dll' Ceo of the AFL was not enought enthusastic about a 18 team competition.

More from the age.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/wh...-18-team-afl-competition-20200529-p54xoi.html

AFL chairman Richard Goyder's insistence in March that the competition would emerge from the COVID-19 emergency with 18 clubs intact - a stand reinforced by Gillon McLachlan on Friday - remains open to serious scrutiny.

The Bulldogs' Peter Gordon earlier this week joined Hawthorn's Jeff Kennett as the second corona cabinet club president to cast doubt on the survival of every club and even cautioned that the weaker teams needed to be more accountable.

Gold Coast and GWS are the youngest of the 18 AFL clubs.Credit:Getty Images

This enraged key sections of the competition, notably some of the AFL's poorer clubs, which privately insisted they have never been more beholden to head office as their multimillion-dollar debts continued to swell.

Some middle-order clubs pointed out that the Bulldogs president's Herald Sun interview demonstrated his short memory given his club's not-so-distant history. They added that the Bulldogs, like most clubs, would probably require financial help from the AFL at some point given the dire financial circumstances facing the game.

Gold Coast chairman Tony Cochrane did not disguise his contempt for the Gordon view on Nine this week. Drawing on his rich history as a marketing man, Cochrane pointed out that the ninth AFL game of every home-and-away round was worth an additional $50 million to the broadcast rights agreement.

Not only was that an outrageously generous assessment in the context of pre-coronavirus but also wildly out of the ballpark in the view of the AFL's media partners.

AFL chairman Richard Goyder's insistence in March that the competition would emerge from the COVID-19 emergency with 18 clubs intact - a stand reinforced by Gillon McLachlan on Friday - remains open to serious scrutiny.

The Bulldogs' Peter Gordon earlier this week joined Hawthorn's Jeff Kennett as the second corona cabinet club president to cast doubt on the survival of every club and even cautioned that the weaker teams needed to be more accountable.

Gold Coast and GWS are the youngest of the 18 AFL clubs.Credit:Getty Images

This enraged key sections of the competition, notably some of the AFL's poorer clubs, which privately insisted they have never been more beholden to head office as their multimillion-dollar debts continued to swell.

Some middle-order clubs pointed out that the Bulldogs president's Herald Sun interview demonstrated his short memory given his club's not-so-distant history. They added that the Bulldogs, like most clubs, would probably require financial help from the AFL at some point given the dire financial circumstances facing the game.

Gold Coast chairman Tony Cochrane did not disguise his contempt for the Gordon view on Nine this week. Drawing on his rich history as a marketing man, Cochrane pointed out that the ninth AFL game of every home-and-away round was worth an additional $50 million to the broadcast rights agreement.

Not only was that an outrageously generous assessment in the context of pre-coronavirus but also wildly out of the ballpark in the view of the AFL's media partners.

25 % Discounts media contracts ! Cutting teams, Oh dear! What about the WS Pygmies ? Will someone pleasse think of the kiddies.

Starkers

Bench
I'm having a giggle. And all this is before they renovate their tv deal lower. Ironically, losing GWS and Suns might actually help!

TheRam

Coach
yes to first, no to second. He played it at uni hence his connection. I’m not sure he was that big a fan tbh. If he was you’d think he’d have been owner of the force from day one, or at least when they desperately needed funding before they got cut. He is incredibly parochial to WA and I suspect his motivation for backing the Force was more a WA thing rather than a Union thing.

as for league I suspect he has no interest, probably dislikes it in that way that union toffs tend to. We do have two multi millionaires who are big RL fans though. It’s just a shame there’s never been a serious strategy by the nrl to expand the game here since the 90’s and get them on board.

Who are they PR?

Johnny88

Juniors
‘Beaten to the punch’: Cornes slams Caro, others critical of NRL restart date
  • May 31, 2020 11:45am
  • by Fox Sports
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
91928c223d8220ae50e39c38476a3e02

Kane Cornes has whacked Caroline Wilson.Source: FOX SPORTS
Port Adelaide Hall of Fame member Kane Cornes has taken aim at Caroline Wilson and others who were heavily critical of the NRL in recent months.
After Peter V’landys made a bold call to announce a restart date and begin on May 28, the NRL was laughed at for their surprise decision during the coronavirus crisis.

However, the NRL has had the last laugh, with no further setbacks leading to the season resuming over recent days.

Get your footy fix on KAYO ahead of live matches returning soon. Watch classic battles from the 60s to today, docos, news and more. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

“I want to Vol-Kane-O Caroline Wilson,” he said on Channel 9’s Sunday Footy Show.

“I want to go back to April 27th on Footy Classified when she was highly critical of the NRL chairman Peter V’landys.”

Wilson made her thoughts clear about how the NRL was far from being certain when announcing the date.

“Kane, this out date announcement is all about getting revenue back,” she said in April.

“They don’t have a fixture, they don’t have venues. The AFL aren’t blueing with their broadcast, they’re not sacking their CEO.”

But Cornes believed it was time for members of the AFL community to put their hand up and admit they got it wrong.

“Unbelievable job the NRL have done, anyone critical of Peter V’landys, including Timmy Watson, Jeff Kennett have been highly critical (are wrong),” he said.

597e2d056213140973753dc6e26f589b

The NRL has resumed in recent days. Photo: Scott Barbour/AAP Image.Source: AAP
“This was back in a big way… I just think it has been outstanding and a lesson to the AFL. For the first time I think in Australian sport the AFL are somewhat behind the times, they’ve been beaten to the punch by Peter V’landys.

“He’s an absolute genius. Anyone who has been critical, put your hand up. It’s front page and back page, they’re dominating the headlines.

“I’m not having a crack at the AFL, I’m having a crack at the people who were critical and there were plenty of them. I’m having a crack at those people who now look silly about those comments they made a month ago.”

The AFL season will resume on June 11, with Richmond playing Collingwood at the MCG.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...o/news-story/ee790559baac5d05fc9711339f8a1a00

Johnny88

Juniors
Rugby Australia axes more than 40 per cent of staff

Rugby Australia has axed more than 40 per cent of staff, citing financial woes, including the COVID-19 crisis, in a successful bid to stave off insolvency.
Interim Rugby Australia CEO Rob Clarke told 7.30 staff cuts at the national governing body for rugby union were expected to be concluded today by telephone.

"We will be reducing our full-time headcount by 47 people," he said.

"We will be reducing our contractors and casuals by over 30 people and taking $5.5 million out of the annual salary bill of Rugby Australia.

exit of former CEO Raelene Castle, an out-of-court settlement with Israel Folau, a declining audience, board leaks and allegations of mismanagement from former players.

Former Wallabies captain Nick Farr-Jones was part of a group of ex-captains who wrote an open letter to Rugby Australia's board seeking sweeping changes.

"Look, I think it's going to escalate in the next few months," he told 7.30 before the cuts were announced.

"I wish the interim chief executive Rob Clarke and the new incoming chairman all the very best for the sake of rugby.

"There's absolutely no doubt I think we made a grave mistake knocking back the Foxtel broadcasting deal."

Rugby Australia walked away from a $57 million broadcasting deal with Foxtel and is now looking for a new broadcast partner.

"I can't understand how a couple of guys were paid a million dollars to consult for Rugby Australia [on the Foxtel deal] when you look at spending $320,000 a day in rugby, having over 200 staff, having corporate costs of nearly $20 million a year.

"I just cannot understand it. There's going to have to be a significant reset."

Rugby Australia spent more than $1.8 billion over the last two decades, only to see the national team's world ranking slump from second to around seventh and a 42 per cent decline in Super Rugby viewership.

"It's just that we're behind the eight ball in Australia at the moment. I think there's been a lot of mismanagement in the last few years." Mr Farr-Jones said.

'It's not where we want to be'
12307070-4x3-xlarge.jpg

Interim chief executive of Rugby Australia Rob Clarke is overseeing the sacking of 40 per cent of its staff.(ABC News)
Mr Clarke denied there had been any "mismanagement".

"As to decisions made from past administrations, they are questions you can ask them, I'm sure they had reasons why they made the decision they did," he said.

"My job is to secure the future of the game while I'm in this chair."

Mr Clarke admitted the Wallabies' on-field performance was lacking.

"I agree. We have been number one in the past and where we sit today is not where we want to be.

"So that is a focus of our high-performance team under Scott Johnson and new coach Dave Rennie."

However, former Wallaby and president of the Eastwood Rugby Club, Brett Papworth, said there had been too much focus on elite forms of the game, citing reports that RA spent $19 million on corporate costs and only $4.3 million on community rugby.

"[Rugby Australia has] chopped all the trees down and been a fantastic logging business and they've built massive timber mills, but they've forgotten to plant any new trees," he told 7.30.

"They've invested nothing in the future of the kids playing the game."

Watch the story tonight at 7.30 on ABC TV.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-01/rugby-australia-axes-forty-percent-of-staff/12302232

Johnny88

Juniors
Channel 7 has rested (axed) 3 AFL shows when the season resumes. Saturday Night pre show The Kick, Sunday show Gameday and Monday Night primetime show Talking footy. The budget cuts continue at the home of AFL.
7 news @6pm seems to be showing more NRL content in there sport report nightly as well.

Johnny88

Juniors
AFL close to extending TV deal with Seven as Foxtel holds out for discount

The AFL is on the brink of securing a two-year extension of its television rights deal with Seven West Media at a reduced price but pay TV operator Foxtel is holding out for an even bigger discount.

Multiple media industry sources who requested anonymity because the negotiations are confidential told The Age that Seven is seeking a cost reduction on its current deal in exchange for a two year extension that would give the AFL more financial certainty in a weakening economy.

344ec68c8e455bd310d01edf9ac4cb83b4ebafa9

The AFL is close to securing a deal with Seven West Media.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES

Foxtel, Seven and Telstra secured a $2.5 billion six year deal with the AFL in 2015 that runs until 2022. Seven's two year extension would take its deal with the AFL out to 2024.

Seven, which is controlled by billionaire Kerry Stokes, is aiming to save between $30 million and $40 million on its AFL rights bill this year based on a 22 to 23 per cent reduction in games played this season, sources said.

A pro-rata payment based on an 153-game season along with finals,previously reported by The Age, is at the foundation of the re-negotiation but sources also indicated Seven was also looking to suspend the three per cent annual inflation rate included in the deal.

Seven was expected to pay about $150 million to the AFL this year under its existing deal.

Both Seven and Foxtel have been facing significant financial challenges in a tough environment for media companies that predates the coronavirus pandemic. The broadcasters believe AFL games this year have lost significant value due to the absence of crowds and reduced lengths of games, but AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan is still expected to drive a hard bargain in the negotiations.
Seven and Foxtel declined to comment.

Seven, which booked a $66 million half-year loss in in February, has net debt of $541.5 million and chief executive James Warburton has been looking to slash costs across the business.

The AFL currently costs Seven about $20 million to produce annually, but that figure would be reduced in the interim due to talent being unable to fly interstate and reduced staff on site during matches.

Foxtel, which is controlled by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, has also been battling subscriber losses amid fierce competition from streaming services. News Corp wrote down the value of the business by $1.3 billion in May.

The pay TV provider is holding out for an even larger reduction on its AFL rights costs than Seven to account for the loss of games and subscriptions to its set top box and sports streaming service, Kayo.

Foxtel, which contributed about $1.3 billion to the AFL deal in 2015, now believes it overpaid, sources said.

The company has stood down more than 200 staff and axed more than 300 jobs in the last few months due to the suspension of sport and large falls in spending from advertisers due to COVID-19.

In recent years media executives have publicly disputed the large amounts they have paid for sport, which in many cases acts as a loss leader for other programming. They argue production costs they incur in addition to rights fees cannot be recouped up in advertising dollars.

The AFL will return on June 11.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...l-holds-out-for-discount-20200604-p54znm.html

Latest posts