What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One Ref

ReddFelon

Juniors
Somewhat predictably the six again rule has fallen into the trap of referees being too scared to make calls. Souffs/Easts and Warriors/Dragons have far too many guys lying all over the tackle that would've been pinged on Thursday night. They really need to stop undermining the refs to the point where these blokes are terrified to make calls out of fear of being dropped. While they're at it, go back to calling players by their number, they're not your mates you shouldn't be calling out their name like a mum at a supermarket, it should be "13, you're off" not "oi, oi Cameron, oi I said Cameron, hey, hey, listen to me please". Bunch of pansies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Somewhat predictably the six again rule has fallen into the trap of referees being too scared to make calls. Souffs/Easts and Warriors/Dragons have far too many guys lying all over the tackle that would've been pinged on Thursday night. They really need to stop undermining the refs to the point where these blokes are terrified to make calls out of fear of being dropped. While they're at it, go back to calling players by their number, they're not your mates you shouldn't be calling out their name like a mum at a supermarket, it should be "13, you're off" not "oi, oi Cameron, oi I said Cameron, hey, hey, listen to me please". Bunch of pansies.

then you’d get the players saying they’re not being respected lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
Oh I know, it's just something I find quite frustrating. Calling them by their names seems like a small issue, but the moment you start trying to be their mate, you've lost all authority.

they need take a look at way SL refs conduct themselves. They stand zero nonsense or chat and are clearly in charge, most of the time.

siv

First Grade
On Ch9 you have no idea if the ref made a 6 again call

Yet Fox seems to be guessing

BunniesMan

Immortal
The game looks a lot better. 2 refs were always redundant. 6 again rule is also an improvement. V is doing all the right things.

siv

First Grade
Teams are avoiding 6 again calls at the moment

I expect things to change after this weekends analysis

Front-Rower

First Grade
Reverting to one ref is the best thing the league have done in a long time.

Having one person in charge, with one interpretation has bought an aura of confidence back to the officials who don’t have to worry about what the pocket has to say, no two different instructions to the players. It’s magic.

big hit!

Bench
On Ch9 you have no idea if the ref made a 6 again call

Yet Fox seems to be guessing

for the most part, there isn't any indication of what the 6 again is for. The refs waive 6 again, the bell goes off and that's it. It's open to quite a bit of abuse. There also seems to be a lot more 6 again calls for infringements than there were penalties from ruck fouls in past seasons.

It's imperative that the players and everyone knows what the infringement was. Fox have a small graphic indicating what a penalty is for. They haven't been doing it for 6 agains because no one f**king knows what the infringments are. No one is disputing it because the game is moving on.

EDIT: is there actually a 6 again bell at the ground, or is just the fox/triple mmm coverage?

Last edited:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Wow. I noticed how there were very few stoppages. I mean I always in favour of going back to one ref, they're more focused being in charge.

My only real concern was the 10m but I did see a few late in a few games.

Its early days, as whenever there's been a new rule change we love it but notice it changes after a few rounds. Fingers crossed we have the same free flowing game by October. However I feel a bit confident this will happen for a while.

Cactus

Juniors
for the most part, there isn't any indication of what the 6 again is for. The refs waive 6 again, the bell goes off and that's it. It's open to quite a bit of abuse. There also seems to be a lot more 6 again calls for infringements than there were penalties.

So far I am favour of the intiative but I agree with your point about the potential for abuse.

However, I suspect what we will see develop is a trend towards 6 again calls going the way of the team behind on the scoreboard. The refs evening things up. It used to happen by way of penalties before and now it will just be multiple 6 agains till the damn bursts and the behind team goes in.

Penrose_11

Juniors
My only real concern was the 10m but I did see a few late in a few games.
Agree that the 10m was probably about 7-8 for most games. It seemed to start off good but after 15-20 mins once everyone really starts blowing, the red seems to forget about it. To me this is where the touchy should step up and signal to the red. Other than than signalling the ball into touch, what role are they having?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Round 1 been a success for both changes imo. Games faster and less messy. Let’s hope the coaches dont cynically f**k it up!
I can see the value of nippy dummy half running Hookers going up significantly.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agree that the 10m was probably about 7-8 for most games. It seemed to start off good but after 15-20 mins once everyone really starts blowing, the red seems to forget about it. To me this is where the touchy should step up and signal to the red. Other than than signalling the ball into touch, what role are they having?

My understanding was that the relegated ref to the touch line would keep and eye on the offside?

unforgiven

Bench
for the most part, there isn't any indication of what the 6 again is for. The refs waive 6 again, the bell goes off and that's it. It's open to quite a bit of abuse. There also seems to be a lot more 6 again calls for infringements than there were penalties from ruck fouls in past seasons.

It's imperative that the players and everyone knows what the infringement was. Fox have a small graphic indicating what a penalty is for. They haven't been doing it for 6 agains because no one f**king knows what the infringments are. No one is disputing it because the game is moving on.

EDIT: is there actually a 6 again bell at the ground, or is just the fox/triple mmm coverage?
Most of the game I watched I could hear the ref making a call to the players of what the 6 again was for, most of the time he was calling too slow so I think it was taking too long to clear the ruck.

gerg

Juniors
Most of the game I watched I could hear the ref making a call to the players of what the 6 again was for, most of the time he was calling too slow so I think it was taking too long to clear the ruck.

Yep. Plus quite a few hand on the ball. I thought the play-the-balls in the second half of the Canberra/Melbourne game were slower than the first half. Also Bulldogs copped it but they are also one of the worst sides at slowing down the ruck.

Overall though the on field product is much better, so well done to Our Vlad and also the refs did a pretty good job.

One good thing with SOO being at the end of the year there won't be the usual calls to change interpretations in the middle of the year like usually happens.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep. Plus quite a few hand on the ball. I thought the play-the-balls in the second half of the Canberra/Melbourne game were slower than the first half. Also Bulldogs copped it but they are also one of the worst sides at slowing down the ruck.

Overall though the on field product is much better, so well done to Our Vlad and also the refs did a pretty good job.

One good thing with SOO being at the end of the year there won't be the usual calls to change interpretations in the middle of the year like usually happens.

the main problem is no different to blowing a penalty and that’s consistency. For every six again called there would be twenty exactly the same scenarios ignored.