What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Duffy Options...

BBTB

Juniors
If one has a good look at the game and watches Dufty he looks uncertain as to which option to take on kick returns
  • Run onto the ball and accelerate
  • Catch and go immediately to ground (the Ostrich I call it)
  • Catch jig and jog and the hit the ground
  • Catch jig and jog and give a hospital pass to some unsuspecting support player.
These indecisive actions by Dufty are indicative of actions take by other players & groups of players namely the halves.

We suffer from a complete lack of confidence in any decision making process we undertake.

In respect of Dufty v Lomax and their progression the comments by Career Coach one would have to say that maybe he turns up to training as often as he watched CC matches.

Last but not least if you go back and have a look at yesterday's game Lomax and his leg drive with ball in hand is far superior to Dufty as is his defence.

So if we are a side that cant score points best we be a side that can stop leaking so many points so Lomax to 1 is actually a no brainer.
Yes... Dufty is just to small.... & lacking in confidence....

Dragon David

First Grade
Dufty is only keeping the jersey warm for Ramsey but until he is ready/available I would bring Clune in at 5/8, Norman to FB and Dufty to the wing which is where I see him being the most useful (speed) and likely to do the least damage (can't catch, pass or tackle).

But then seeing as Saab has speed plus height, strength and is a bit useful under the high ball I would punt Dufty altogether. He'd go alright at the Jets, Bears or Mounties.
I initially gave Dufty the benefit of the doubt and wanted him in our team but now, seeing him play in this game against the Warriors, his ability to be effective in both attack and defence is nonplussed. He seems to have lost confidence greatly and is too uncertain of himself. In general, I think the guys have been hit with a lot of pressure to play well and to instructions by the "general" and this is causing the guys to play steady as she goes type football rather than paying what is in front of them - hard and fast with anticipation and free from care/worry.

I think that as Lomax is our kicker, he should go back to fullback, Dufty dropped, put Fui in the centres, put Clune on the bench. Drop Lawrie and bring in Blacker.

Old Timer

Coach
Some reasonable amount of time ago I suggested that if we wanted to make the semis we needed to have Dufty at 1.

Then we had a forward pack that was not fatigued and weary form the bashing the ball up style of play and more importantly we had Widdop at 6.

Dufty was a potent attacking weapon and some of his glaring errors were almost tolerable due to the electricity & excitement he generated.

Well now the forwards are completely stuffed with no attacking prowess and the halves a complete shambles and every game it becomes more apparent how bad the loss of Widdop really is.

Unfortunately for Dufty there is no forward platform for him to operate from and no half with any vision as to how to get him into the game.

For these reasons Dufty's flaws are now far more apparent and no longer tolerable.

If we had of purchased a good quality forward (instead of Graham), retained Widdop and secured a decent coach Dufty may very well have made a more than competent footballer.

Jbjbjb40

Juniors
Some reasonable amount of time ago I suggested that if we wanted to make the semis we needed to have Dufty at 1.

Then we had a forward pack that was not fatigued and weary form the bashing the ball up style of play and more importantly we had Widdop at 6.

Dufty was a potent attacking weapon and some of his glaring errors were almost tolerable due to the electricity & excitement he generated.

Well now the forwards are completely stuffed with no attacking prowess and the halves a complete shambles and every game it becomes more apparent how bad the loss of Widdop really is.

Unfortunately for Dufty there is no forward platform for him to operate from and no half with any vision as to how to get him into the game.

For these reasons Dufty's flaws are now far more apparent and no longer tolerable.

If we had of purchased a good quality forward (instead of Graham), retained Widdop and secured a decent coach Dufty may very well have made a more than competent footballer.
Widdop was rubbish. Dufty is rubbish.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Dufty to me looks like a player who is scared to play the game in front of him.
Mary wants him to play as he is instructed but Dufty isn’t that type. He needs to be told follow the play and just go when GM given the ball but he seems to be worried about doing the wrong thing. The other issue is we don’t ever play 2nd phase play when the game now is open to that type of play which would bring in players like dufty. I’m not saying he is our best option but let the guy play as he can and may be just may be things will change.

slippery5

Juniors
If one has a good look at the game and watches Dufty he looks uncertain as to which option to take on kick returns
  • Run onto the ball and accelerate
  • Catch and go immediately to ground (the Ostrich I call it)
  • Catch jig and jog and the hit the ground
  • Catch jig and jog and give a hospital pass to some unsuspecting support player.
These indecisive actions by Dufty are indicative of actions take by other players & groups of players namely the halves.

We suffer from a complete lack of confidence in any decision making process we undertake.

In respect of Dufty v Lomax and their progression the comments by Career Coach one would have to say that maybe he turns up to training as often as he watched CC matches.

Last but not least if you go back and have a look at yesterday's game Lomax and his leg drive with ball in hand is far superior to Dufty as is his defence.

So if we are a side that cant score points best we be a side that can stop leaking so many points so Lomax to 1 is actually a no brainer.
My opinion exactly, also I was calling for him & any other player to be penalised if they dog it, by dropping to the ground like a wounded dog. The opposition is denied a chance to drive you back or into touch, hence ruining the spectacle of the game to keep on the attack. I just wonder what craft McNOIDEA was talking about when he said Lomax isn't adjusting naturally enough? obviously he doesn't realise that's an important part of the position.

RedVee

First Grade
What is wrong with Matt Dufty? Why is it he looks to be afraid of taking the ball up? I get that he's a little bloke but yesterday he was just submitting before the opposition had laid a finger on him. Have a go FFS!
I know I said we should persist with him but if he is going to just let himself be manhandled in EVERY tackle because he doesn't even take them on then do Matt Dufty a favour and save the kid the embarrassment.
Geeeeeezus!
Papenhuyzen is the same size yet doesn’t seem to have the same issue.

It's pathetic. It pisses me off further that he jogs up to the line before jinking and falling over. If he has that much pace he could easily make a further 5-10 m on kick return just by going at pace.

Agree. Said the same yesterday through the pain.

Where is that INTENSITY!!! Bloke ?

SaintPauli

Juniors
The Panthers have a few 1st grade startups not playing 1st grade. Its time our recruitment search all NRL for these type players not old has beens looking for a retirement fund and soft end to their careers.

Dragon David

First Grade
How well is newy going. Obrien has em sorted. Losing starting half and hooker... Debuting a young fullback cause he has the right stuff. Oh what I'd give.
I've got to say that O'Brien has done really well for Newcastle so far. I wonder how Dufty would go under him?

mickeylane

Bench
I still think Dufty is our future FB just that he has been given the run around by Mcgregor so much so that he's doubting his own talent...based on the current scenario Sailor would be the logical replacement as he still has abundant of self belief...(thanks to his father's personality) ..Lomax is a no go IMO as is Corey Norman...

SaintPeter

Juniors
Dufty is NOT a first grade player.
Watch the Newcastle game and watch a debutante full back (Rex Turps or Tex North or something) show everyone how its done.

Dragon David

First Grade
Dufty is NOT a first grade player.
Watch the Newcastle game and watch a debutante full back (Rex Turps or Tex North or something) show everyone how its done.
You are correct. Dufty needs open space to weave his magic while players like Tex Hoy etc just use power and strength to create something. Dufty dies a lot in his runs when he gets to the opposition's defensive line and has little upper body and leg power to make it difficult for the opposition to tackle him.

Once Dufty is in open space, he generally is hard to either stop scoring or passing back for some else to score. A fullback needs not only to be pretty fast but have the ability to do many other things really well - catch the ball on the full, defend the goal line, push and shove in and out, not be afraid to barge and wrestle, back-up frequently, anticipate off loads and generally be creative. Quite a lot of skills needed to be a top quality fullback.

Latest posts