What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 v Warriors

Coffs dragon

Bench
From the SMH, You have to be kidding

Assistant Dean Young sat on the sidelines watching the horror show and looms as the likely stop-gap solution if the Dragons' front office did move on McGregor
Whilst not ideal, anything is an improvement on the 7 year current Peanut.
At least Deano & Flanno are supposedly tight and I’m sure would be allowed to have some major influence in rebuilding the McGregor destruction.
At this stage, I’d happily accept the Happy Dragon to coach the club iso The Deflector

Crush

Coach
It's no fluke Norman has been playing for teams that are at the bottom of the ladder for years...
You have to give credit to Norman where due, he has managed to earn a very nice salary for years with very little output. He just goes through the motions with no care of winning or losing. His salary allows him to invest and concentrate on his true passion, his clothing brand.
Well played Norman.

Banjo2014

Juniors
Saturday morning

Banjo (6yrs old) decides to take a bath with my bedroom TV's remote control
Pool man reports cannot clean algae out of pool = empty scrub and refill - 100 degree heat no pool 4 days
Phone call from 90 year old mate - Filipina wife just taken off with all his money in bank account
Local Mayor declares Quarantine relaxed but all bars to remain closed until 15 June
Sari Grocery store runs out of beer
Wife reports entire family coming over on Monday for one day party (can things get worse)

Fellow Dragon supporter arrives at door - 12.29pm with bottle of Sangria - discover two bottles of scotch in storeroom - you bewdy

12.30pm - 16 year old daughter told to vacate Lounge Room and turn off Korean K Pop music as Football is about to start - surely the Dragons can pull off a victory and get my day on track.

1pm Filipino time - game starts

1.07pm TRY WARRIORS - Green grubbers on the last and Dufty makes a meal of it in front of his own posts. The chasing Jamayne Taunoa-Brown does well to pick it up by his fingertips and crash over to score

About 2.40pm Filipino Time

Warriors - 18 Dragons - 0

FULLTIME - That will do us, as the Warriors stun the listless Dragons with a near-perfect performance.
Games finishes - mate goes home - nothing said.

Wife emerges from Nursery - finally gets baby to sleep - how did the Mighty Dragons go did we win?

The Friz

Juniors
My thoughts:
•Dufty not NRL standard, needs to go
•The wingers did well overall
•Will hold judgement on centres till we see them on the front foot with some quality ball.
•The halves need to be split up. Norman to fullback maybe
•Mcinness is GOD
•Lawrie is a plodder
•Kerr must start
•Fuimaono and Aitken were good impact forwards from bench, need more minutes. Maybe Fui should start in the #13 jumper
•Forward pack and bench needs an injection of youth and enthusiasm. Where is our Elia Katoa?
• Need an actual footy coach

Dragon David

First Grade
Saturday morning

Pool man reports cannot clean algae out of pool = empty scrub and refill - 100 degree heat no pool 4 days
Phone call from 90 year old mate - Filipina wife just taken off with all his money in bank account
Local Mayor declares Quarantine relaxed but all bars to remain closed until 15 June
Wife reports entire family coming over on Monday for one day party (can things get worse)

Fellow Dragon supporter arrives at door - 12.29pm with bottle of Sangria - discover two bottles of scotch in storeroom - you bewdy

12.30pm - 16 year old daughter told to vacate Lounge Room and turn off Korean K Pop music as Football is about to start - surely the Dragons can pull off a victory and get my day on track.

1.07pm TRY WARRIORS - Green grubbers on the last and Dufty makes a meal of it in front of his own posts. The chasing Jamayne Taunoa-Brown does well to pick it up by his fingertips and crash over to score

FULLTIME - That will do us, as the Warriors stun the listless Dragons with a near-perfect performance.

Wife emerges from Nursery - finally gets baby to sleep - how did the Mighty Dragons go did we win?
As you say Banjo2014 - You Bewdy! Dragons tragics all over were hoping for a win, but not to be and the Warriors with some of their players only being in the squad for 4 days played near flawless footie.
Cheers!

Dragon David

First Grade
My thoughts:
•Dufty not NRL standard, needs to go
•The wingers did well overall
•Will hold judgement on centres till we see them on the front foot with some quality ball.
•The halves need to be split up. Norman to fullback maybe
•Mcinness is GOD
•Lawrie is a plodder
•Kerr must start
•Fuimaono and Aitken were good impact forwards from bench, need more minutes. Maybe Fui should start in the #13 jumper
•Forward pack and bench needs an injection of youth and enthusiasm. Where is our Elia Katoa?
• Need an actual footy coach
*We need changes and improvement in impact and quicker line speed in defence (Flanno - what's doing here?).
*Lomax does not have any impact/strike power compared to many other centres in the comp.
*That Elia Katoa has impact and strength and we need guys like him in the backs.
*Our wingers were solid and tried hard all day.
*Our halves were poor and directionless and lacked playmaking prowess. Just too robotic.
*Clune needs to come in as I am positive he will be more creative for our attack.
*All coaches need to study the games played this weekend to see how effective the other teams played, even those clubs that lost, under the new rules.
*Mary needs to be sacked but before that happens he will need to determine who should be dropped for the clash against the Bulldogs.
*Mary needs to watch the Bulldogs game today to see how we can beat them next week.
*We will be at the bottom of the ladder unfortunately at the end of the comp. Possibly wooden spooners the way we have played as we don't have he talent in my opinion.

kit66

Bench
471 tackles must be some kind of record, no wonder we didn't score any points.
I only got to listen to the game on ABC ( hardly any fake crowd noise thank christ ) and I was spared having to watch that debacle. How many times did we die with the ball ?

Well done boys, a couple more like that and even the fools running the show must surely show McGregor the door, then we can get back to playing some real footy.

TruSaint

Referee
Saturday morning

Gold...

possm

Coach
For 2020 and using players from our current squad because it does not look like we are going to recurit any others for this season, I'd like to see the following:

Coach
Sheppard as interim head coach assisted by Flanagan. Mary sacked.

Fullback - Lomax
Wingers - Ravalava and
Saab
Centre - Williame and Fuimaono
Five-eighth - Hunt
Halfback -
Clune
Props - Vaughan and Kerr
Secondrow - Sims and Ford

Lock - Frizell

Bench
Merrin
K Sims
Lawrie

Brittain

Dropped
Dufty
Pereira
Norman
Graham
Aitken

Dragon David

First Grade
For 2020 and using players from our current squad because it does not look like we are going to recurit any others for this season, I'd like to see the following:

Coach
Sheppard as interim head coach assisted by Flanagan. Mary sacked.

Fullback - Lomax
Wingers - Ravalava and
Saab
Centre - Williame and Fuimaono
Five-eighth - Hunt
Halfback -
Clune
Props - Vaughan and Kerr
Secondrow - Sims and Ford

Lock - Frizell

Bench
Merrin
K Sims
Lawrie

Brittain

Dropped
Dufty
Pereira
Norman
Graham
Aitken
Similar to my thoughts Possum. I'd like to include Blacker in the team and leave out Lawrie.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Dragons have the following results:
Newcastle Win
South's Loss
Wests Loss
Penrith Loss
Warriors Loss
For 2020 they have only won 20% of games played which is pathetic.
Team for Bulldogs:-
Lomax
Pereira
Williame
Fuimaono
Ravalawa
Sailor
Clune
Mc Innes
Frizell
Tariq Sims
Vaughan
Hunt
Kerr
Bench
Korbin Sims
Ford
Host
Brittain

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL: Classy moment after Dragons demolished; Question coach won’t answer
The perfect picture emerged on Saturday as a heartwarming gesture from the Dragons proved the NRL’s return is about more than results.

AAP
news.com.auMay 31, 20206:51am

A heartwarming moment of sportsmanship put a sheen on the most satisfying NRL win Stephen Kearney has been a part of as coach of the Warriors on Saturday night.

After beating St George Illawarra 18-0, the Warriors gathered as a group while Dragons skipper Cameron McInnes addressed the team to thank them for their sacrifices to restart the NRL season.

The Warriors have spent four weeks in Australia and are likely to be here until at least round nine to keep the competition running after the coronavirus shutdown.

And despite the uneven scoreline, it was a gracious gesture from the Dragons who are hurting after three straight losses to start the season.

Kearney said the goodwill shown to the club from other NRL clubs has been humbling — typified by the Sydney Roosters loaning Poasa Faamausili to the club for four weeks, although they were yet to win a game themselves before this weekend.

The 24-year-old will join the Warriors on Sunday as part of a revolutionary loan deal to help the injury-hit team while staying isolated in Australia.

Saturday’s win was the first of the season for the Warriors and Kearney said it was satisfying after the ordeal his team has endured over the past few months.

“I was pretty pleased for the boys. I’m really proud of the way they’ve gone about the last couple of months,” Kearney said.

“The way they’ve responded in the last couple of months, they’ve just got on with the job and that’s what I was most pleased about.

“It means a great deal to not only the group but to families back home. We’ve got a footy club that’s still operating, all our footy staff back home, administration and all of our fans.

“I know there would have been a lot of them watching it was really pleasing to put in a performance they can be proud of.”

b79cb6d491a3e444b590bad433880aa1

The Dragons showed brilliant sportsmanship even in defeat.Source:Getty Images

Meanwhile, under-fire St George coach Paul McGregor lashed his team for a lack of passion and promised to swing the axe if they continue to underperform. Saturday’s loss to the Warriors marked the Dragons’ worst start to an NRL season in seven years and follows hard on the heels of their worst season as a joint venture in 2019.

McGregor is now under pressure to keep his job just three games into a two-year contract extension after six seasons in charge.

Although he denied he is feeling any pressure, McGregor said players need to take personal responsibility for their effort and passion for the jersey.

“It’s got to come from within,” he said. “Belief is a by-product of success too and we’ve lost a few games and we’re coming off a not a great year.

“We’ve got to find that. Passion is being excited to play, it’s about being in the moment and going after it so that comes down to the individual.

“The scrimmages at training, the intensity that we’ve trained at, is not transferring on to the field on game day.

“The passion, the excitement, the competitiveness needs to be there, shown by everyone.” While the Warriors were slick and near faultless, the Dragons were disorganised in attack and failed to fire a shot when in threatening field position.

“Attitude is by-product of belief and today at times they looked like strangers out there,” he said.

“We didn’t do anything at speed and a couple of the tries they scored needed to be defended and they weren’t. Defence is all about attitude.

“When we had some field position we turned over possession twice so we didn’t play with any composure there either.”

Leading into the game players were told no one’s position is safe, and McGregor said he would consider making changes for the next round clash with Canterbury. “I’d like to reflect a little bit and watch the game again and talk to my staff,” he said.

“There’s no reserve grade now there’s only one way for players to get an opportunity and that’s by performing on game day.

“If we feel the right adjustment to the team needs to be done, there’ll be changes.

“If we feel there’s no right adjustment we’ll keep the 17, but it will be a discussion point this week.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/n...r/news-story/4723479c5ee850d4bb154b3c7204f427

Whilst not ideal, anything is an improvement on the 7 year current Peanut.
At least Deano & Flanno are supposedly tight and I’m sure would be allowed to have some major influence in rebuilding the McGregor destruction.
At this stage, I’d happily accept the Happy Dragon to coach the club iso The Deflector
As long as he is only a stop gap until they find a proper coach...

Just watched the replay.

My take on the ordinary/woeful performance of our team is:

Dufty handling error put us on the back foot from the beginning

Team lacks confidence

Ben Hunt's kicking game was very ordinary. Probably looked worse than it was because we failed to chase with urgency.

Our attack is rudderless. Its as if the team hasn't trained together before. Very pedestrian.

Warriors out enthused us.

Korbin Sims, seemed very tentative. That broken arm may have left a mental scare.

We have an under 6 game plan.

Our defence was reasonably good.

Our attack is none existent.

We are one game closer to Mary being sacked.

slippery5

Juniors
I was told he was one of the best trainers during the off season, and he was looking good for a regular starting position. Staff have a high opinion of Lawrie

I think we are in a hole, where we are harvesting the accumulation of bad efforts all round the park. Today even on the rare occasion that a forward dominated in a run, they got up to play slowly. I think a perfect example was the Dufty dropped ball for the first try ... check how long the Warriors had to kick that ball, no pressure art all. The whole team is lacking energy and punch unfortunately.
So it was a battle between Lawrie & Dufty for the "Best & Fairest Trainer".

Dragonsamy

Bench
[QUOTE="qld redvee, post: 14123737, member: 47260"
you would have to think that supercoach has lost the shed it just seemed like a training run out there .. So much for the boys ripping in at training there was not a shred of intensity out there today ....[/QUOTE]

You have absolutely nailed it