What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Suitman

Post Whore
yeh we get that lol.
He has balls, except when it comes to holding tv to account. Then he tucked them away in his handbag and bent over for Lachlan and Mark, lube in hand.

But did he?

All we ever hear about is how much financial trouble Fox is in, and that pay tv is a dying medium.
We don't know how much the contract is worth, but Fox are now committed for the next 7 seasons. The security of that length of contract is invaluable now that we have locked them in.
Glass half full mate.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Vlandy push for 4 new grounds.....
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...s-or-grand-final-will-go-20200531-p54y3z.html

NRL's ultimatum: Four new suburban stadiums or grand final will go
Michael Chammas
May 31, 2020 — 2.18pm
  • Send via Email
The NRL will meet the NSW government this week armed with the threat of moving the grand final away from Sydney if the state doesn't deliver up to four boutique suburban stadiums over the next decade.

With the state government on Saturday dumping plans for the $800 million redevelopment of ANZ Stadium as it deals with the financial fallout of the COVID-19 crisis, NRL powerbrokers are set to demand funds be redirected towards suburban venues as part of a push to regenerate tribalism in rugby league.

3d98021bf854501834a98592da5997ae7896c443

The 30,000-seat Bankwest Stadium in Parramatta cost around $300 million to build.Credit:Getty

The NRL recently signed an extension to keep the grand final in Sydney until 2042, but that agreement hinged on a $2 billion promise that included new stadiums at Parramatta and Moore Park, as well as the redevelopment of the former Olympic venue into a rectangular facility.

According to sources with knowledge of the NRL's stadia strategy, the governing body is delighted with the decision by NSW government to scrap ANZ Stadium refurbishment plans, and will now lobby for up to four 15,000-20,000 seat stadiums worth around $150m-$200m each.

The NRL understands the government's predicament given the toll of the coronavirus crisis, and is expected to extend the time frame if it agrees to roll out a suburban venue plan that will cater for communities and sporting clubs across many codes.

Manly, Campbelltown, Penrith and Sydney's south have been earmarked as primary targets, with all nine Sydney clubs to be supported as part of the NRL's grand plan.

a099ec41c20fa8ef2d77ce5ee3dddd9a613f46d2

Brookvale Oval on the Northern Beaches is one of the NRL's priority venues to redevelop.Credit:SMH

A stadium in Sydney's south would cater for the Dragons, Sharks and potentially Canterbury, who also have the option of playing out of Bankwest Stadium. South Sydney would have the option of playing matches alongside the Sydney Roosters out of the new stadium at Moore Park, or moving games out west to Bankwest Stadium with the Parramatta Eels.

The Wests Tigers would play the majority of their games out of a new Campbelltown Stadium, which will also host new A-League club Macarthur FC.

Related Article

Infrastructure
Premier pulls the plug on stadium refurb but will keep Powerhouse move
The Penrith Panthers and Manly Sea Eagles would also have a new stadium to play out of. The governing body would much prefer fans being locked out of games than empty grandstands, hence the desire for boutique grounds to cater for crowds of around 15,000.

The strategy will be music to the ears of Nine Entertainment Co chief executive Hugh Marks, who has pushed for the prioritisation of the game's tribalism as he mulls over a potential broadcast rights extension with the NRL after the 2022 season.

ANZ Stadium would still be used as the code's major events facility, hosting State of Origin games, blockbuster Sydney finals and the grand final.

The strategy represents a significant change of tack. Just a few years back, the NRL adopted a 'build it and they will come' mentality in regards to major stadiums and turned a blind eye to suburban grounds.

So Corporate blackmail for Government hand outs is it?

I’d tell them to shove the Grand Final up their arse!

colly

Juniors
y
So Corporate blackmail for Government hand outs is it?

I’d tell them to shove the Grand Final up their arse!

"Pantherjim., post: 14126983, member: 6341"]So Corporate blackmail for Government hand outs is it?

It's been like this since, - forever- Pay attention.

I had thought with a new stadium out Panthers way would be agreeable. Yes?

Pantherjim.

Referee
y

"Pantherjim., post: 14126983, member: 6341"]So Corporate blackmail for Government hand outs is it?

It's been like this since, - forever- Pay attention.

I had thought with a new stadium out Panthers way would be agreeable. Yes?

Personally, I’d prefer decent schools with air conditioning for my Daughter and decent public Hospitals which weren’t owned by Healthscope, Ramsay or Bupa shareholders....

If the NRL want four state of the art stadiums in Sydney, they can either fund them themselves or borrow money under a mortgage arrangement from the Government.

Last edited:

Tommy Smith

Referee
Not NRL related but the worst part is the 1.1b to relocate the Powerhouse Museum.

The last time I visited Sydney I went as its right in the city and it was awesome. But not in a million years would I ever go to Parramatta to see the museum as an Interstate tourist. That'd be like going to Brissy and visiting Ipswich. As if!

1.1b! Jesus Christ these merkin politicians sure know how to piss money down the drain.

But did he?

All we ever hear about is how much financial trouble Fox is in, and that pay tv is a dying medium.
We don't know how much the contract is worth, but Fox are now committed for the next 7 seasons. The security of that length of contract is invaluable now that we have locked them in.
Glass half full mate.

The security of the deal is good, but if Foxtel don’t end up paying the AFL less as well then V’Landys is going to look pretty silly.

unforgiven

Bench
Not NRL related but the worst part is the 1.1b to relocate the Powerhouse Museum.

The last time I visited Sydney I went as its right in the city and it was awesome. But not in a million years would I ever go to Parramatta to see the museum as an Interstate tourist. That'd be like going to Brissy and visiting Ipswich. As if!

1.1b! Jesus Christ these merkin politicians sure know how to piss money down the drain.
It is not so much about getting the tourist to go, its about providing that sort of cultural attraction for Western Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Totally agree, it’s in a great spot walking distance from darling harbour in that lovely old building. Would be sad to see it move.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Personally, I’d prefer decent schools with air conditioning for my Daughter and decent public Hospitals which weren’t owned by Healthscope, Ramsay or Bupa shareholders....

If the NRL want four state of the art stadiums in Sydney, they can either fund them themselves or borrow money under a mortgage arrangement from the Government.
Write to your local councilor, state and federal member, get them to sell your local ground for $1 to The community club. Well Manly is private....so.

Not sure I like governments investing.and running stadiums.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

If the NRL want four state of the art stadiums in Sydney, they can either fund them themselves or borrow money under a mortgage arrangement from the Government

Its not a threat, it is just saying "this is our price for that big event that brings $millions to the city economy every year". The NSWGov can say no if they want to, and NRL can take the GF around Aus/NZ if they want to...

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its not a threat, it is just saying "this is our price for that big event that brings $millions to the city economy every year". The NSWGov can say no if they want to, and NRL can take the GF around Aus/NZ if they want to...

losing $50million a year plus in the new tv deal the nrl could do with the $10mill of hosting rights revenue a year!

The Great Dane

First Grade
The NRL already threatened to take the GF away if the NSW Gov reneged on their agreement. The NSW Gov have reneged on the agreement at least twice now (understandably the second time), and the NRL hasn't taken the GF away.

So why would the NSW Gov take any of the NRL's threats seriously if they've failed to follow through on them time and time again, they'll just assume that the NRL is bluffing again, and they'll probably be right.

It's one of the first rules of negotiation; your threats are meaningless if you don't follow through on them.

ash the bash

Juniors
After ANZ stadium news could this be the future of Sydney NRL Club Stadiums..

1. SFS 45K - Roosters 11, Rabbitohs 11, St George 1(Annual Anzac game when its St George's turn) Total 23 games
- As a South Sydney member I would travel the extra miles to Bankwest from Maroubra then ANZ in its current figuration. I hope the Bunnies move back to the SFS. Really am over ANZ stadium its just too big for club games. Although I suspect the Bunnies may prefer to play in the west and may move to Bankwest full time.
2. Bankwest 30K - Parramatta 11, Canterbury 10, Wests Tigers 4. Total 25 games
3. Redeveloped Panther Stadium 23,5K - Penrith 11 (Odd WSW football game?)
4. Redeveloped Shark Park 20K - Cronulla 12
5. Redeveloped Brookvale 20K - Manly 11 (Waratahs games, CC Mariners maybe..)
6. WIN Stadium 23,5K - St George Ill 6
7. Redeveloped Jubilee 20K - St George Ill 5 (Sydney FC games)
8. Redeveloped Leichhardt Oval 20K - Wests Tigers 4 (Sydney FC games)
9. Redeveloped Campbelltown Stadium 22K - Wests Tigers 4 (Macarthur Bulls 12-13 games?)
10. Belmore 18K - Canterbury 2

Now ANZ was budgeted for 850m, if the government/councils spend at least 500m over time on the 6 stadiums stated it would mean an average of 83.33m on each. While not a complete make over it would add to making them a lot more user/corporate friendly.

Dogs Of War

Coach
losing $50million a year plus in the new tv deal the nrl could do with the $10mill of hosting rights revenue a year!

With the cost cutting. He will have saved more than that. And V'lday's wants the GF to be a big event. It's not just about having $10mil. But the whole week around it. Get cities to bid for it, and it will generate way more than $10mil as they fight over having it. And ironically making it more of the Australia's game as different cities host it.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
One coalition bid for a new stadiums that I have never heard suggested is Dragons and Bulldogs....

Sharks arent a likely partner for StG as they own their own ground and they arent likely to move voluntarily.

Kogarah to Belmore is only about 20 minutes. If the requirement for a boutique stadium is 2 tennants, i think this would be southern sydneys best chance

unforgiven

Bench
One coalition bid for a new stadiums that I have never heard suggested is Dragons and Bulldogs....

Sharks arent a likely partner for StG as they own their own ground and they arent likely to move voluntarily.

Kogarah to Belmore is only about 20 minutes. If the requirement for a boutique stadium is 2 tennants, i think this would be southern sydneys best chance

Where would you put it? because it is not a terrible idea.

The NRL already threatened to take the GF away if the NSW Gov reneged on their agreement. The NSW Gov have reneged on the agreement at least twice now (understandably the second time), and the NRL hasn't taken the GF away.

So why would the NSW Gov take any of the NRL's threats seriously if they've failed to follow through on them time and time again, they'll just assume that the NRL is bluffing again, and they'll probably be right.

It's one of the first rules of negotiation; your threats are meaningless if you don't follow through on them.
Mate with PVL in charge I don't think the threats are bluffs.

taipan

Referee
With the cost cutting. He will have saved more than that. And V'lday's wants the GF to be a big event. It's not just about having $10mil. But the whole week around it. Get cities to bid for it, and it will generate way more than $10mil as they fight over having it. And ironically making it more of the Australia's game as different cities host it.

He's already picked up extra loot, by screwing betting agencies (who are upset )with a far higher commission than the AFL.