What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Banjo2014

Juniors
It was a very insensitive comment and he’s clearly unfamiliar with the deeper issues.

General issues with ex players in the media I’m afraid.

They simply don’t understand the fan life. They don’t line up to get in, they dont get stuck behind a big bloke with an anger issue, they don’t have to spend anything and so forth. Just turn up and try not to upset people and they struggle to do that.

If one of you blokes sat down with Freddy and explained how 99% of you are feeling and the hundreds of reasons why, he might get some insight.

Great footballer and a good state coach, but you cant know everything.

Much like Gould turning up and thinking he could put the fire out. He thought things couldn’t get much worse and he’d be seen as a super hero, but things have gone backwards since the review. He misjudged everything.

Even the new assistants have failed so far.

Let’s be honest, Flanno hasn’t made any known impact at all. I don’t know if it’s his fault or Marys but together with the coaching group, they are serving up rubbish.

Its like Millward and his retention and recruitment. The cupboard is bare, the cash has been spent, no one wants to come. Even the loafers don’t want to be demeaned by Mary.

Can anyone remember the entire team playing on the same page and bringing their best game?

Yesterday, you might have got a 60% turnout at best. They can’t all be having individual professional breakdowns at once. They’ve got bad crap in their heads, they can’t shake out.

They are subliminally associating playing for sgi as a bad professional and personal experience. They should be enjoying their work and mates.

The kid who came to our club, he said the best thing was to get away from the off field pressure.
I think we can read between the lines.
Exactly right Silvo
Sterling was telling a story the other day that Fatty Rabs and he were in a limousine going to Wembley to call a game and dropped in at a Ladbrokes to put 500 quid on a horse.

BLM01

First Grade
Yep Blind Freddy being a smart arse and putting the boot in......it was only last year he was criticizing mcgregor for poor performance himself
Sounds like (Mc9 I am a Coach) did have a little word to Freddy on the quiet about bagging him publicly.
Freddy brought some new gear out of it.

BLM01

First Grade
It was a very insensitive comment and he’s clearly unfamiliar with the deeper issues.

General issues with ex players in the media I’m afraid.

They simply don’t understand the fan life. They don’t line up to get in, they dont get stuck behind a big bloke with an anger issue, they don’t have to spend anything and so forth. Just turn up and try not to upset people and they struggle to do that.

If one of you blokes sat down with Freddy and explained how 99% of you are feeling and the hundreds of reasons why, he might get some insight.

Great footballer and a good state coach, but you cant know everything.

Much like Gould turning up and thinking he could put the fire out. He thought things couldn’t get much worse and he’d be seen as a super hero, but things have gone backwards since the review. He misjudged everything.

Even the new assistants have failed so far.

Let’s be honest, Flanno hasn’t made any known impact at all. I don’t know if it’s his fault or Marys but together with the coaching group, they are serving up rubbish.

Its like Millward and his retention and recruitment. The cupboard is bare, the cash has been spent, no one wants to come. Even the loafers don’t want to be demeaned by Mary.

Can anyone remember the entire team playing on the same page and bringing their best game?

Yesterday, you might have got a 60% turnout at best. They can’t all be having individual professional breakdowns at once. They’ve got bad crap in their heads, they can’t shake out.

They are subliminally associating playing for sgi as a bad professional and personal experience. They should be enjoying their work and mates.

The kid who came to our club, he said the best thing was to get away from the off field pressure.
I think we can read between the lines.
You can not blame anything else or one individual anymore about the infections at the club.
It is all about players not responding or believing in the coach..pure and simple.
Freddy says if the board stay solid then the players will.
It is too late Freddy..they are shouting out in volumes on field...so much so that 2 out of 3 games fresh into a new season the Coach has had to call out his players regarding efforts, passion and desire.
Not good situation at all...it is now untenanble.
Should be interesting game against the Dogs next week.
Sounds like they are in the same boat..almost

dragonhysteria

Juniors
Your post raises an interesting question.
What if Price was given 6 years at the helm instead of McGregor?
How would he have performed with the same squads and access to juniors.
You can't help but think he would have done a lot better than this joker.
If we had won THAT game against Melbourne in 2014 we would have been 4 from 6....we were 4 from 10 when he got the sack. Flogged by Roosters, Dogs and Eels. This idiot of a coach is 4 from his last 21!!!!!!

Exactly right Silvo
Sterling was telling a story the other day that Fatty Rabs and he were in a limousine going to Wembley to call a game and dropped in at a Ladbrokes to put 500 quid on a horse.

Yeah it’s a different life.

You can not blame anything else or one individual anymore about the infections at the club.
It is all about players not responding or believing in the coach..pure and simple.
Freddy says if the board stay solid then the players will.
It is too late Freddy..they are shouting out in volumes on field...so much so that 2 out of 3 games fresh into a new season the Coach has had to call out his players regarding efforts, passion and desire.

Not good situation at all...it is now untenanble.
Should be interesting game against the Dogs next week.
Sounds like they are in the same boat..almost

I see what you say, the worry is that they’ve lost belief in themselves as well.

The modern Mary has kind of flattened out a bit with some comments, but he’s hedging his bets in terms of future team choices.

There was a co vid excuse and Cam was close to best player in the whole round, but Issac would have been up for a game against the warriors somewhere. that seemed obvious to me anyway.

I think Pay turned up to the dogs at the worst possible time, but make no mistake, it was a coup against Hasler.

Losing those two players coming into form was a serious injury to them, but because the side isn’t expected to do anything, there’s not much pressure.

So it presents as a kind of warriors mark 2 game, a second chance for Mary in a way.

By rights you should smash them, but I said that about the warriors.

thebigredv

First Grade
Full article
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ro...eeks-to-save-750-000-job-20200531-p54y5w.html

'Roster not the issue': McGregor has two weeks to save $750,000 job

Michael Chammas
June 1, 2020 — 12.01am
  • Send via Email
Leave a comment

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has just two games to avoid the axe as Dragons powerbrokers gear up for the club’s most significant meeting in years when the St George Illawarra board gathers on June 16.

The Herald can reveal the club is paying $750,000 a season for a coach whose only two wins in the last 15 games have come against the hapless Gold Coast Titans.

McGregor’s future is under a huge cloud, and not even the lucrative two-year extension he was bizarrely handed by previous Dragons management before a ball was kicked last year will save him should his team fail to land a blow against the Bulldogs and Sharks.

Saturday’s woeful showing against the Warriors has sent passionate Dragons fans into a frenzy as they call for the coach’s sacking after the club slumped to their 17th loss in the last 21 games.
When the Dragons agreed to McGregor’s extension before last season, they strangely did so without a performance-based pay-out clause.

He wasn’t a coach in demand either, which raises question marks as to why he was paid more than premiership-winning coaches Des Hasler and Michael Maguire. He is ranked in the top half of paid coaches.

At the time of signing there were still plenty of question marks over his coaching ability after the Dragons slumped from first place at the halfway point in 2018 to seventh to end the season. It’s a headache inherited by new chief executive Ryan Webb.

The Dragons would have to pay about $1m to McGregor if they terminate his deal in coming weeks, but club officials realise a failure to act could ignite an ever bigger backlash from disgruntled fans and a financial shortfall in membership that may take years to recover from.

Uncertainty around the Dragons’ future will also compromise its position when trying to lure stars such as Canberra’s John Bateman to the club in 2021, with up to nine spots available on the roster and money to spend following the departure of Tyson Frizell to Newcastle and the potential ending of payments to the off-contract James Graham and Jack de Belin.

Former premiership-winning five-eighth Jamie Soward believes the time for excuses is all but over for McGregor.

‘‘When you come out two years ago and say this is the squad you wanted, it certainly puts a lot of pressure on results going forward,’’ Soward told the Herald.

‘‘When you say you have the squad you want, you need results. Unfortunately for Paul McGregor it hasn’t panned out that way. It looks like the players either don’t agree with the game plan or don’t like it.

‘‘On Saturday it looked like it was the last round of the year. It’s the game that upset me the most since I retired. Yesterday was the hardest to watch since I left. They’ve had eight weeks off and played against a team they should have beaten. Even if they don’t win, they need to show something for themselves.

Even wins over the next fortnight shouldn’t sugar-coat what is a dire situation for the Dragons. When the revised draw came out the joint-venture club was handed games against the Warriors, Bulldogs, Sharks and Titans – all winless teams after the first two rounds.

They also played against the Tigers and Panthers in the opening two weeks, both teams that didn’t feature in last year’s finals series. The Dragons have a top-six roster. Paul Vaughan, Frizell, Corey Norman, Ben Hunt and Tariq Sims all played State of Origin last year.

‘‘There’s a lot of smart footballers in the team, and strong leaders in the team. But it looks like things have taken their toll. It has shone through that the Dragons jumped the gun by re-signing Mary when there was no pressure to do it.’’

The second-most under pressure man at the Dragons is Ben Hunt, after another underwhelming showing against the Warriors. While former Canterbury hooker Michael Ennis believes Hunt and the Dragons will benefit by moving him to the bench, Soward has called for a host of changes that revolve around Hunt’s move into the No.9 jersey.

‘‘Ben Hunt has to start at nine this week, because you can’t have your $1.2 million player on the bench,’’ Soward said.

‘‘The way the game is going with the changes, Ben Hunt could be similar to Josh Hodgson. He has a good kicking game and knows how to manage his forwards. Cam McInnes is a fantastic player but as an attacking threat, Ben Hunt can provide them with more points. McInnes made 70 tackles on the weekend, which is incredible, but they need spark in attack.

‘‘Hunt at hooker, where he’s played for Australia and played well, makes sure he’s always in the game and hasn’t got the chance to drift in and out if it’s not going well. Then you move McInnes to lock, shift James Graham up front with Paul Vaughan, move Tyson Frizell back to the right edge where he plays for NSW, play Tristan Sailor at fullback and bring Adam Clune into the halves alongside Corey Norman.

‘‘Dragons fans are the most loyal fans I ever played for. As much as they bag you, they will support you to the hilt and stick by the team if they are making changes and blooding youngsters to improve the team. It makes it hard to support the team when they dish out what they did yesterday.’’

Some of the obvious names that will be linked to the job include former Dragons players such as Roosters assistant coach Craig Fitzgibbon, former Manly coach Trent Barrett and ex-Newcastle coach Nathan Brown. But Soward believes it’s time the club looks externally.

‘‘They need someone like Anthony Griffin,’’ Soward said. ‘‘The Dragons have had success when they’ve brought guys from outside to look inside the club. Wayne Bennett did that.’’

Last edited:

RedVDave

First Grade
I hope I'm wrong and I hate to say but given the current pandemic I don't think any coach will be sacked this season.
During the off season though we could see Pay, Kearney & Mary all shown the door.

Full article
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ro...eeks-to-save-750-000-job-20200531-p54y5w.html

'Roster not the issue': McGregor has two weeks to save $750,000 job

Michael Chammas
June 1, 2020 — 12.01am
  • Send via Email
Leave a comment

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has just two games to avoid the axe as Dragons powerbrokers gear up for the club’s most significant meeting in years when the St George Illawarra board gathers on June 16.

The Herald can reveal the club is paying $750,000 a season for a coach whose only two wins in the last 15 games have come against the hapless Gold Coast Titans.

McGregor’s future is under a huge cloud, and not even the lucrative two-year extension he was bizarrely handed by previous Dragons management before a ball was kicked last year will save him should his team fail to land a blow against the Bulldogs and Sharks.

Saturday’s woeful showing against the Warriors has sent passionate Dragons fans into a frenzy as they call for the coach’s sacking after the club slumped to their 17th loss in the last 21 games.
When the Dragons agreed to McGregor’s extension before last season, they strangely did so without a performance-based pay-out clause.

He wasn’t a coach in demand either, which raises question marks as to why he was paid more than premiership-winning coaches Des Hasler and Michael Maguire. He is ranked in the top half of paid coaches.

At the time of signing there were still plenty of question marks over his coaching ability after the Dragons slumped from first place at the halfway point in 2018 to seventh to end the season. It’s a headache inherited by new chief executive Ryan Webb.

The Dragons would have to pay about $1m to McGregor if they terminate his deal in coming weeks, but club officials realise a failure to act could ignite an ever bigger backlash from disgruntled fans and a financial shortfall in membership that may take years to recover from.

Uncertainty around the Dragons’ future will also compromise its position when trying to lure stars such as Canberra’s John Bateman to the club in 2021, with up to nine spots available on the roster and money to spend following the departure of Tyson Frizell to Newcastle and the potential ending of payments to the off-contract James Graham and Jack de Belin.

Former premiership-winning five-eighth Jamie Soward believes the time for excuses is all but over for McGregor.

‘‘When you come out two years ago and say this is the squad you wanted, it certainly puts a lot of pressure on results going forward,’’ Soward told the Herald.

‘‘When you say you have the squad you want, you need results. Unfortunately for Paul McGregor it hasn’t panned out that way. It looks like the players either don’t agree with the game plan or don’t like it.

‘‘On Saturday it looked like it was the last round of the year. It’s the game that upset me the most since I retired. Yesterday was the hardest to watch since I left. They’ve had eight weeks off and played against a team they should have beaten. Even if they don’t win, they need to show something for themselves.

Even wins over the next fortnight shouldn’t sugar-coat what is a dire situation for the Dragons. When the revised draw came out the joint-venture club was handed games against the Warriors, Bulldogs, Sharks and Titans – all winless teams after the first two rounds.

They also played against the Tigers and Panthers in the opening two weeks, both teams that didn’t feature in last year’s finals series. The Dragons have a top-six roster. Paul Vaughan, Frizell, Corey Norman, Ben Hunt and Tariq Sims all played State of Origin last year.

‘‘There’s a lot of smart footballers in the team, and strong leaders in the team. But it looks like things have taken their toll. It has shone through that the Dragons jumped the gun by re-signing Mary when there was no pressure to do it.’’

The second-most under pressure man at the Dragons is Ben Hunt, after another underwhelming showing against the Warriors. While former Canterbury hooker Michael Ennis believes Hunt and the Dragons will benefit by moving him to the bench, Soward has called for a host of changes that revolve around Hunt’s move into the No.9 jersey.

‘‘Ben Hunt has to start at nine this week, because you can’t have your $1.2 million player on the bench,’’ Soward said.

‘‘The way the game is going with the changes, Ben Hunt could be similar to Josh Hodgson. He has a good kicking game and knows how to manage his forwards. Cam McInnes is a fantastic player but as an attacking threat, Ben Hunt can provide them with more points. McInnes made 70 tackles on the weekend, which is incredible, but they need spark in attack.

‘‘Hunt at hooker, where he’s played for Australia and played well, makes sure he’s always in the game and hasn’t got the chance to drift in and out if it’s not going well. Then you move McInnes to lock, shift James Graham up front with Paul Vaughan, move Tyson Frizell back to the right edge where he plays for NSW, play Tristan Sailor at fullback and bring Adam Clune into the halves alongside Corey Norman.

‘‘Dragons fans are the most loyal fans I ever played for. As much as they bag you, they will support you to the hilt and stick by the team if they are making changes and blooding youngsters to improve the team. It makes it hard to support the team when they dish out what they did yesterday.’’

Some of the obvious names that will be linked to the job include former Dragons players such as Roosters assistant coach Craig Fitzgibbon, former Manly coach Trent Barrett and ex-Newcastle coach Nathan Brown. But Soward believes it’s time the club looks externally.

‘‘They need someone like Anthony Griffin,’’ Soward said. ‘‘The Dragons have had success when they’ve brought guys from outside to look inside the club. Wayne Bennett did that.’’

Important article, comes at a good time, thanks for posting.

I’d probably add that you fans and members are as much upset with the cascade of lies, promises, false hopes and rubbish that has accompanied the failure as much as anything else. A lot of trust has gone and will take ages to regather.

But the idea of cash and a new coach sounds good.

I’d give an old boy a miss too.

Toovs would get the joint jumping.

$750k, one of the highest paid coaches in the game? No wonder he did his nut in the presser!

Dare to dream of victory comrades. The night is darkest before the dawn.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Man they must have been smoking some strong s##t when they drafted the contract and put in an extra nought and the comma in the wrong spot. Surely it was meant to be $75,000.

Fellas it’s Andrew Gordon as the benevolent mate with the zeros

- & the Chairman of the disastrous Board

who should be feeling the heat.

There’s the central issue.

Unpick that & the problem’s solved.

Everything else is tangential
...it’s the head of the snake/Dragon stuff

Anyway
Ryan Webb
On your Day 56
(So far)
without change

....you & all the (“bizarrely handed”) Extension co-conspirators are now bearing the social ignominy of your stupidity in the senseless & farcical retention of a Waterboy without results, shame or a coaching brain

...whose woeful stats accrue to records by the week.

Now only the stats will do him in

....as mateship’s sure not dead in The Illawarra

- but what’s the dreadful cost of this scorched earth Andrew & Pauly Show?

Probably incalculable in the hearts & minds of fans & players

Last edited:

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Has there ever been a easier draw in the history of NRL.
Next 3 weeks we play last, second last, and forth last. All 3 teams are winless.
We might jag 3 wins and the media will praise him no end.

100% spot on. This is not the first time this sort of thing has happened either. Mary's job is under pressure but it always seems to come when we've got a couple of easy rounds approaching.

We'll scrape a couple of wins by less than 8 points and Mary will be hailed for pulling us out of a rut. Please.

BLM01

First Grade
Has there ever been a easier draw in the history of NRL.
Next 3 weeks we play last, second last, and forth last. All 3 teams are winless.
We might jag 3 wins and the media will praise him no end.

Well GD..if you look at the draw before last weekend we wre given the draw to the bottom 4 winless sides in a row
Mc0 must of thought the gods are with him (the NRL are trying hard to assist hom here) and I bet he was complacent (as I was) with that one and ticked it off with a win and was ready to talk about getting on a roll.
No wonder he said we have to win now and it wont come later..why?... as we play all the good sides later
Ahhh...that game against the Warriors has got to hurt.
Now the Foran...led Dogs...lets see how cocky McWinless is this week. Another tick for a win perhaps!