What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys

Rich102

Staff member
The guy deserves some praise.
Not only did he get a resumption of the game against all odds but he instituted some great changes as well.
One referee has been a total success, as has 6 again.
And in amongst all that is happening he has renegotiated and extended the TV deal.
Does the guy ever sleep?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Yep he’s winning me over, the rule changes have been great. And may I add from a more selfish point of view I think they might end up particularly benefitting our team by one what nullifying the advantage of big forward packs and making our back three and their meterage game even more important.

mikeob

Juniors
He also runs racing NSW and has introduced races like the Everest (prize money is 14 million and is promoted as the worlds richest horse race) and the Golden Eagle worth 7.5 million. Both races and others in direct competition with the Melbourne Cup Spring Carnival. That's huge because Melbourne has spring racing to themselves for 150 years or more. Long may he stay in rugby league.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I also noted that he had to good sense today not to go on the offensive against the NSW govt for cancelling the ANZ stadium redevelopment. I don’t think there will be a lot of public sympathy if the NRL attempt to play hardball over stadiums post-Covid, I thibk they’re better off just ensuring the Moore Park rebuilt goes ahead and accepting ANZ will stay as it is for another 5 years or so. Once the new Moore Park stadium is built they can start thinking about ANZ again.

TheDMC

Bench
How did this 6 again rule come about? It seems to be a really positive game changer but I can’t recall it being discussed at all in recent years while dozens of okay, average , ridiculous rule changes have, and some implemented with not much effect.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Don't get too used to him. It's quite clear he is destined for bigger and better things than running our game

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
If we didn’t have PVL, I doubt we would’ve been playing this year

Exactly right. He's a leader. Weaker CEOs in the past wouldn't have taken government on like he has, in challenging the status quo and the conventional response to this pandemic. He pushed back on what he was being told, had a vision for how we were going to get back on the field and wasn't afraid to cop wacks on the way to achieve it. I'm sure he ran into a lot of people who told him he was being overly bold, was putting people's livelihood at risk, was no chance of succeeding etc.

Don't get too used to him. It's quite clear he is destined for bigger and better things than tuning our game

Sadly probably true, but we can enjoy him in the mean time and hopefully the changes that get made under his leadership become long lasting and he provides a blueprint for what the game should be. I think he's a passionate league person as well, is he not?

Reactions: JJ

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Sadly probably true, but we can enjoy him in the mean time and hopefully the changes that get made under his leadership become long lasting and he provides a blueprint for what the game should be. I think he's a passionate league person as well, is he not?
Yep very passionate. This whole situation has put him in the shop window so to speak in terms of getting sport back up and running in the midst of a worldwide pandemic. He is standing alongside leaders of the UFC and the Bundesliga, arguably 2 of the biggest sporting organisations worldwide.

He just doesn't suffer fools and gets shit done. And refreshingly isn't swayed by the media, just does his thing and eventually they jump on board with him rather than going against him.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yep very passionate. This whole situation has put him in the shop window so to speak in terms of getting sport back up and running in the midst of a worldwide pandemic. He is standing alongside leaders of the UFC and the Bundesliga, arguably 2 of the biggest sporting organisations worldwide.

He just doesn't suffer fools and gets shit done. And refreshingly isn't swayed by the media, just does his thing and eventually they jump on board with him rather than going against him.

Compare that to Gill McLaughlin, who thinks he is Christmas as the head of the AFL but sat around with his finger up his arse and couldn't get anything done in a state that god worships his sport.

mikeob

Juniors
How did this 6 again rule come about? It seems to be a really positive game changer but I can’t recall it being discussed at all in recent years while dozens of okay, average , ridiculous rule changes have, and some implemented with not much effect.

I read last week that it had been used once before in the 2012 All Stars game.