What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Board to meet on June 16th

Gareth67

First Grade
‘ Stern words followed by stern actions ‘ is the motto of the Joint Venture board , therefore they shall inform the maestro that he must improve the teams overall standing on the competition ladder or his final season with the club shall be 2021 .

matPORTS

Juniors
The time for talk is well and truly over.

Why wait until the June 16 board meeting? Instead, make the decision now, install an interim and then utilise that board meeting to discuss the transition plan into the next full time head coach (be it someone for 2021 or keeping an interim in place until Flanno can come back in 2022).

The longer this goes on, the longer it is going to take to re-build. How many more 'reviews' and bureaucratic decision making processes do we need here??

We are in a predicament where the status quo refuses to acknowledge that he is indeed the problem. His quotes around having good staff around him should be read as "these are the staff I've been given (upon a review at the end of last season), they were employed to help me and protect my position, what is their excuse??"

Right now, what we have is the equivalent of what is going on in the Queensland State Government...

The Labor / Palaszczuk government know they are no chance of winning the upcoming state election, so cool, let's continue to f*** up the Queensland Economy hiding behind COVID-19 as an excuse, and make it difficult for our political rivals to come in and clean up the mess.

Banjo2014

Juniors
Guys do not get too excited - same scenario just one year ago

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...rds-agenda-says-ceo/1bk2kncwvoya9zcprdmcg258e

21 July 2019

Paul McGregor’s future not on St George Illawarra board’s agenda, says CEO

Much to the disappointment of furious St George Illawarra fans who have flocked to social media to voice their disapproval of Paul McGregor in recent days, the club’s board will not discuss the coach’s future at a meeting on Tuesday.

McGregor has copped plenty from Red V fans who blame him for the Dragons’ dreadful run of form

TruSaint

Referee
'Roster not the issue': McGregor has two weeks to save $750,000 job

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has just two games to avoid the axe as Dragons powerbrokers gear up for the club’s most significant meeting in years when the St George Illawarra board gathers on June 16.

The Herald can reveal the club is paying $750,000 a season for a coach whose only two wins in the last 15 games have come against the hapless Gold Coast Titans.

"When you say you have the squad you want, you need results. Unfortunately for Paul McGregor it hasn’t panned out that way. It looks like the players either don’t agree with the game plan or don’t like it.

"On Saturday it looked like it was the last round of the year. It’s the game that upset me the most since I retired. Yesterday was the hardest to watch since I left. They’ve had eight weeks off and played against a team they should have beaten. Even if they don’t win, they need to show something for themselves.

"There’s a lot of smart footballers in the team, and strong leaders in the team. But it looks like things have taken their toll. It has shone through that the Dragons jumped the gun by re-signing Mary when there was no pressure to do it."

The second-most under pressure man at the Dragons is Ben Hunt, after another underwhelming showing against the Warriors. While former Canterbury hooker Michael Ennis believes Hunt and the Dragons will benefit by moving him to the bench, Soward has called for a host of changes that revolve around Hunt’s move into the No.9 jersey.

"Ben Hunt has to start at nine this week, because you can’t have your $1.2 million player on the bench," Soward said.

"The way the game is going with the changes, Ben Hunt could be similar to Josh Hodgson. He has a good kicking game and knows how to manage his forwards. Cam McInnes is a fantastic player but as an attacking threat, Ben Hunt can provide them with more points. McInnes made 70 tackles on the weekend, which is incredible, but they need spark in attack.

"Hunt at hooker, where he’s played for Australia and played well, makes sure he’s always in the game and hasn’t got the chance to drift in and out if it’s not going well. Then you move McInnes to lock, shift James Graham up front with Paul Vaughan, move Tyson Frizell back to the right edge where he plays for NSW, play Tristan Sailor at fullback and bring Adam Clune into the halves alongside Corey Norman.

"Dragons fans are the most loyal fans I ever played for. As much as they bag you, they will support you to the hilt and stick by the team if they are making changes and blooding youngsters to improve the team. It makes it hard to support the team when they dish out what they did yesterday."

Some of the obvious names that will be linked to the job include former Dragons players such as Roosters assistant coach Craig Fitzgibbon, former Manly coach Trent Barrett and ex-Newcastle coach Nathan Brown. But Soward believes it’s time the club looks externally.

"They need someone like Anthony Griffin," Soward said. "The Dragons have had success when they’ve brought guys from outside to look inside the club. Wayne Bennett did that."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ro...VQHuzAvj5-bzIHvJoKnx0YJEDtdjtBlNJkgUPyv7xBCog

Dragon David

First Grade
'Roster not the issue': McGregor has two weeks to save $750,000 job

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has just two games to avoid the axe as Dragons powerbrokers gear up for the club’s most significant meeting in years when the St George Illawarra board gathers on June 16.

The Herald can reveal the club is paying $750,000 a season for a coach whose only two wins in the last 15 games have come against the hapless Gold Coast Titans.

"When you say you have the squad you want, you need results. Unfortunately for Paul McGregor it hasn’t panned out that way. It looks like the players either don’t agree with the game plan or don’t like it.

"On Saturday it looked like it was the last round of the year. It’s the game that upset me the most since I retired. Yesterday was the hardest to watch since I left. They’ve had eight weeks off and played against a team they should have beaten. Even if they don’t win, they need to show something for themselves.

"There’s a lot of smart footballers in the team, and strong leaders in the team. But it looks like things have taken their toll. It has shone through that the Dragons jumped the gun by re-signing Mary when there was no pressure to do it."

The second-most under pressure man at the Dragons is Ben Hunt, after another underwhelming showing against the Warriors. While former Canterbury hooker Michael Ennis believes Hunt and the Dragons will benefit by moving him to the bench, Soward has called for a host of changes that revolve around Hunt’s move into the No.9 jersey.

"Ben Hunt has to start at nine this week, because you can’t have your $1.2 million player on the bench," Soward said.

"The way the game is going with the changes, Ben Hunt could be similar to Josh Hodgson. He has a good kicking game and knows how to manage his forwards. Cam McInnes is a fantastic player but as an attacking threat, Ben Hunt can provide them with more points. McInnes made 70 tackles on the weekend, which is incredible, but they need spark in attack.

"Hunt at hooker, where he’s played for Australia and played well, makes sure he’s always in the game and hasn’t got the chance to drift in and out if it’s not going well. Then you move McInnes to lock, shift James Graham up front with Paul Vaughan, move Tyson Frizell back to the right edge where he plays for NSW, play Tristan Sailor at fullback and bring Adam Clune into the halves alongside Corey Norman.

"Dragons fans are the most loyal fans I ever played for. As much as they bag you, they will support you to the hilt and stick by the team if they are making changes and blooding youngsters to improve the team. It makes it hard to support the team when they dish out what they did yesterday."

Some of the obvious names that will be linked to the job include former Dragons players such as Roosters assistant coach Craig Fitzgibbon, former Manly coach Trent Barrett and ex-Newcastle coach Nathan Brown. But Soward believes it’s time the club looks externally.

"They need someone like Anthony Griffin," Soward said. "The Dragons have had success when they’ve brought guys from outside to look inside the club. Wayne Bennett did that."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ro...VQHuzAvj5-bzIHvJoKnx0YJEDtdjtBlNJkgUPyv7xBCog
I really like Soward's suggestions of positional changes and adding Sailor and Clune in the team. Mary has got to try these things now what has got to lose!? But when all is said and done and for the betterment of the club long term, losses in the next two games are paramount for the Board to seriously consider sacking Mary, Mary quite contrary.

denis preston

First Grade
The Board is also stupid as well as incompetent.If they made the decision earlier some of these incredible details such as 750k a year ( if true then it really is a rort and should be investigated ) would not have been revealed. A board can be as bad as this and survive as long as the football side is performing but our side hasn't really since 2011 but these faceless men keep hiding. They must be held accountable.

I wish some reporter can just go up to Andrew Gordon "current affair " style and ask two or three hard questions. Why? Why? Why ? He more than any other director ( as he controls 50% of the club personally ) needs to be seen as responsible and if he does not want to talk then perhaps the St.George directors can force him, as they also will ( should ) be under the pump.

hewi

Bench
I really like Soward's suggestions of positional changes and adding Sailor and Clune in the team. Mary has got to try these things now what has got to lose!? But when all is said and done and for the betterment of the club long term, losses in the next two games are paramount for the Board to seriously consider sacking Mary, Mary quite contrary.

Good changes maybe however as long as the forwards are not going forward because they won’t play for the coach the changes are pointless and might harm those younger players confidence.

Dragon David

First Grade
Is this Board meeting something that is scheduled on the SGI calendar or is it a special meeting to discuss the present disastrous state of the poor results Mary has achieved? If it is the former, then what is on the agenda may not include ending Mary's contract irrespective of the results of the next 2 games. If it is the latter, then it will be business as usual and wait and see how the results pan out when we play the Titans, Roosters and the Raiders.

They will be gutless and not wanting to payout Mary in my opinion.