What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Board to meet on June 16th

thebigredv

First Grade
Stall, stall, stall. This is management at its worst. Set the meeting for two weeks in the hope a win against the hapless dogs can patch over the grand canyon of a wound festering at our club.

How many meetings does it take the see the elephant in the room?

Actually listening to the knowledgeable fans would have saved them this conundrum and the $ they are now do desperate to retain.

Stuff all the people who have ruined our once amazing club. The rebuild will be years in the making and our reputation tarnished for who knows how long.

grouch

First Grade
At least the players know they only need to throw another 2 games to rid themselves of this imposter
I've felt nothing but sympathy for the players through the McGregor era. Even the crap ones have been dudded by having such a shit coach in charge.

But that has now started to wear thin. The playing group of any first grade side always have the power to sack the coach.. it's been happening since the game began. Not even a premiership in 1956, for example, could save Norm Tipping when Ken Kearney and the playing group turned against him. So, I have run out of pity for these players - at this point they are growing in culpability. Supposedly they, if the Gus Gould review is anything to go by, they all think he's a good bloke and want to keep him around. Time to get out of their comfort zone and take action to get this cancer of a coach sacked.

So who's it going to be? What is the power base within the ranks to facilitate making a move on McGregor? Frizell - gone. There are really no other comparable highly admired local junior club greats. Ben Hunt, the marquee money man? Nope, McGregor is his jetski buddy after all. Norman, Graham - johnny-come-lately mercenaries with no clout. Paul Vaughan? Maybe, with help. Zac Lomax is on a long term deal and may be genuinely aggrieved.. but he's too much of a rookie to have a hope.

it has to be the captain. Cam McInnes, in his 4th year at the club, still under contract for a few more years. he needs to organise a player's bbq, stat

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Firstly, this is a scheduled meeting, not an extraordinary meeting. However, I'm certain the coaching issue will be on top of the agenda.
As noted in the article, the term 'significant improvement' will need to he shown to save Mc85s job.

Now, what is considered as 'significant improvement'?
Scoring a point or two?
Losing by less than 10?
Winning by any margin?

If it's a real kicker, them 'significant improvement' would have to take the form of:
Winning (against Dogs and Titans) by more than 20 point, and
Our style of play reverses from 'powa game' to open play.

There are 2 other issues that need to be discussed obviously;
1. Cost of paying out McGregor and hiring a new coach, be that interim or permanent. The fact here is they cannot afford not to. It's why i believe an interim coach will be appointed ie Shep or Young at least for the remainder of this season.
2. Selection process to hire a permanent head coach, who they can afford, who would want to come here, salary, term of contract etc.

COVID may gave given some grace to McGregor, as I'm sire he would have already been gone given our previous draw, however, the impact of COVID financially on the club will be significant and having a coach that is deplored by the membership paying fans, and it's those fans who are the financial heartbeat, keeping McGregor on will ultimately impact their pockets as well.

It's also up to the players now. Are they truly playing for or against McGregor? I guess the next 2 weeks will tell the story there.

Dragon David

First Grade
Stall, stall, stall. This is management at its worst. Set the meeting for two weeks in the hope a win against the hapless dogs can patch over the grand canyon of a wound festering at our club.

How many meetings does it take the see the elephant in the room?

Actually listening to the knowledgeable fans would have saved them this conundrum and the $ they are now do desperate to retain.

Stuff all the people who have ruined our once amazing club. The rebuild will be years in the making and our reputation tarnished for who knows how long.

The Board failed to see how useless Mary would be years ago and their decision to extend his contract when there was no pressure to do so was baseless. He must be the "golden child" sitting in his ivory tower with his shining head having this halo above it. "I am the chosen one, I will lead the Dragons into the depths of despair". Yes that's it!

The Board meeting on 16 June will be a time to celebrate the return of rugby league and being able to rub shoulders together after the lockdown. "Cheers all" they will be saying as they down their crownies. "Oh, by the way" the Chairman will say "is there anything for us to discuss?". There is a slight pause and he then quips "well that's it, meeting is closed lets have another drink hic!".

I can honestly see why Brian Johnston decided to quit. He probably was also told not to open his mouth nor write anything and keep us all in the dark. He just could not do anything or say anything and I'm sure that he was not happy about resigning Mary. He could see how disastrous things will turn out.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The time for talk is well and truly over.

Why wait until the June 16 board meeting? Instead, make the decision now, install an interim and then utilise that board meeting to discuss the transition plan into the next full time head coach (be it someone for 2021 or keeping an interim in place until Flanno can come back in 2022).

The longer this goes on, the longer it is going to take to re-build. How many more 'reviews' and bureaucratic decision making processes do we need here??

We are in a predicament where the status quo refuses to acknowledge that he is indeed the problem. His quotes around having good staff around him should be read as "these are the staff I've been given (upon a review at the end of last season), they were employed to help me and protect my position, what is their excuse??"

Right now, what we have is the equivalent of what is going on in the Queensland State Government...

The Labor / Palaszczuk government know they are no chance of winning the upcoming state election, so cool, let's continue to f*** up the Queensland Economy hiding behind COVID-19 as an excuse, and make it difficult for our political rivals to come in and clean up the mess.
Well the board has to meet in order to make the decision, that's assuming it's on the agenda.

I can't see how it is the equivalent of government COVID-19 restrictions. All governments, state and federal, instigated restrictions. In most cases it has been bi-partisan. And the safety first attitude has been well received.

grouch

First Grade
I can honestly see why Brian Johnston decided to quit. He probably was also told not to open his mouth nor write anything and keep us all in the dark. He just could not do anything or say anything and I'm sure that he was not happy about resigning Mary. He could see how disastrous things will turn out.
F**k Brian Johnston. He was part of the board when they first appointed McGregor and was CEO when they gave him the ludicrous extension.

possm

Coach
The Board failed to see how useless Mary would be years ago and their decision to extend his contract when there was no pressure to do so was baseless. He must be the "golden child" sitting in his ivory tower with his shining head having this halo above it. "I am the chosen one, I will lead the Dragons into the depths of despair". Yes that's it!

The Board meeting on 16 June will be a time to celebrate the return of rugby league and being able to rub shoulders together after the lockdown. "Cheers all" they will be saying as they down their crownies. "Oh, by the way" the Chairman will say "is there anything for us to discuss?". There is a slight pause and he then quips "well that's it, meeting is closed lets have another drink hic!".

Give a break, BJ was the former Chairman of the Board with a majority vote. He was in that position when Mary was extended and when Craig Young was given a position on the Board.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Yes, same here. And reportedly a $1 million payout? No performance clause? I find it hard to believe.

I don't think we'll ever be given the full story on why McGregor got two extensions, and contract weighted in his favour.

I mean really... Who signed off on this?

The extension was poor enough, but now to find out there was no clause re performance is just negligent.

Have been saying to fellow members here for a while, vent all you want at Mary, the blame lies elsewhere.

Shocking corporate governance.

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
The extension was poor enough, but now to find out there was no clause re performance is just negligent.

Have been saying to fellow members here for a while, vent all you want at Mary, the blame lies elsewhere.

Shocking corporate governance.

Negligent is a massive understatement.
McGregor has ‘coached’ this great club (St George) into the ground. I really don’t know why any prospective player would sign with us at the moment which given the number of off contract incumbents is a real concern.

blacksafake

First Grade
Surely BJ has his prints all over this.
If his resignation was in response to the signing of L plate then he’s more so responsible. Some say he’s a good bloke but if he was then he should have walked before L plate was signed in protest against it. It’s as if he’s said up yours to us supporters on the way out.

TruSaint

Referee
It gets better...

Exclusive: Can’t even beat their own B Team - Dragons belted by reserves before Warriors meltdown

EXCLUSIVE – Dragons coach Paul McGregor was furious after a Red V training session last weekend which saw a team of reserves and development players pump the majority of the St George Illawarra side which lost to the Warriors.

The Dragons were humbled by the injury-stricken Warriors on the Central Coast on Saturday, plunging McGregor’s future into fresh doubt.

The Red V coach has won just twice in his last 13 games in charge of the Dragons, with both victories coming against the equally hapless Titans.

And now foxsports.com.au can reveal that the warning signs were there in training last Saturday in Wollongong.

Sources close to the Dragons say that a starting side including the likes of Paul Vaughan, Cameron McInnes with a halves pairing of Ben Hunt and Corey Norman were beaten by three tries against a rag-tag B team boasting Adam Clune and Jack de Belin as the halves.

The reserves were said to have battered the starting side through the middle and showed much more desire and an attitude to win.

It is understood that the stood-down de Belin led the charge, while Korbin Sims’ showing in the training run saw him force his way into the starting side for Saturday’s woeful defeat to the Warriors.

The Dragons’ display against the Kiwi outfit prompted Fox League expert Michael Ennis to say that McGregor had to make some tough calls over the coming weeks to save his career.

“He’s got some huge decisions to make, Paul McGregor,” Ennis said on Saturday.

“Under enormous pressure coming in to the season but to lose this afternoon, to have lost three straight now, and the performance of the high profile players – none more than Ben Hunt – he has got some big decisions to make if he is going to remain as head coach of this club.”

With the Dragons handed a relatively straightforward run – Bulldogs, Sharks, Titans – over their next three games, McGregor has a chance to rectify his side’s slow start.

There have been suggestions that Wayne Bennett would come to the club as McGregor’s replacement if he fails to hit the mark, but that option shapes as an expensive one.

The names of English national team coach Shaun Wane and current assistant coach Dean Young have been thrown into the ring.

Both would be more cost-effective options, while Young is waiting in the wings after a long apprenticeship as a junior coach.

Shane Flanagan, the club’s current defensive coach, is not allowed to coach until the 2022 season.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...Zo-az4rbIjcNYhWiO9g34spawCn9qP3Ng849fK0qEsEV4

blacksafake

First Grade
There’s an old saying.
“You get what you paid for”
Well we’ve got a coach who’s failed to deliver any sort of value for money whatsoever for what he’s supposedly being paid. It’s as if the board has received numerous quotes for a job & every tradie who quoted has quoted for the exact same job to be done but with way different figures & our dumb board have just selected the dearest.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
In my opinion, the Board will move to sack Mary and intrall Sheppard as interim head coach.

It will be interesting Possm. The decision to 'sack McGregor" has long term implications as to the future of the club.
As far as interim coach is concerned the contenders are (imo):
Shepherd - obvious choice with hand over straight to Flannagan
Young - another obvious choice, but with intrim leading to full time
Griffin - whilst a good choice i dont think he's what we need right now, particularly short term.
Toovey - been out of the game too long imo.
Bennett - well we all know about Benny

Contenders for full time:
Flannagan
Wane
Young
Fitzgibbon
Ryles

The bottom 3 being rookies, Id rather pass on them tbh.
The one we should look at seriously is Shaun Wane, yes a rookie at NRL level bit coaching pedgree second to none. He would be my choice from 2021 onwards.

Brutalitops

Juniors
I've felt nothing but sympathy for the players through the McGregor era. Even the crap ones have been dudded by having such a shit coach in charge.

But that has now started to wear thin. The playing group of any first grade side always have the power to sack the coach.. it's been happening since the game began. Not even a premiership in 1956, for example, could save Norm Tipping when Ken Kearney and the playing group turned against him. So, I have run out of pity for these players - at this point they are growing in culpability. Supposedly they, if the Gus Gould review is anything to go by, they all think he's a good bloke and want to keep him around. Time to get out of their comfort zone and take action to get this cancer of a coach sacked.

So who's it going to be? What is the power base within the ranks to facilitate making a move on McGregor? Frizell - gone. There are really no other comparable highly admired local junior club greats. Ben Hunt, the marquee money man? Nope, McGregor is his jetski buddy after all. Norman, Graham - johnny-come-lately mercenaries with no clout. Paul Vaughan? Maybe, with help. Zac Lomax is on a long term deal and may be genuinely aggrieved.. but he's too much of a rookie to have a hope.

it has to be the captain. Cam McInnes, in his 4th year at the club, still under contract for a few more years. he needs to organise a player's bbq, stat
I'll tell you right now: Ben Hunt and Tyson Frizzel are no buddies of Mary. Anyone noticing dialogue between the WAGs on Instagram over the last year know he lost them ever since his defence of JDB, and it is the festering toxic work environment in which Mary insists on keeping JDB around in which has brought this playing group down.

Coffs dragon

Bench
It will be interesting Possm. The decision to 'sack McGregor" has long term implications as to the future of the club.
As far as interim coach is concerned the contenders are (imo):
Shepherd - obvious choice with hand over straight to Flannagan
Young - another obvious choice, but with intrim leading to full time
Griffin - whilst a good choice i dont think he's what we need right now, particularly short term.
Toovey - been out of the game too long imo.
Bennett - well we all know about Benny

Contenders for full time:
Flannagan
Wane
Young
Fitzgibbon
Ryles

The bottom 3 being rookies, Id rather pass on them tbh.
The one we should look at seriously is Shaun Wane, yes a rookie at NRL level bit coaching pedgree second to none. He would be my choice from 2021 onwards.
Also some gossip/rumours of Matt Head a possible interim coach.
Makes sense if you want to bring on the younger players he coached to some level of success in Canterbury Cup.

HenryTatana

Juniors
Dragons fans breathe fire with petition to torch head coach Paul McGregor

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor is interviewed following his side’s 18-0 loss to the Warriors in Gosford on Saturday. Picture: AAP
  • BRENT READ
    SENIOR SPORTS WRITER
    @brentread_7
    8a2fbfa2e92a609cfd30a16a25de7e5a
  • 9:53PM MAY 31, 2020
  • 3 COMMENTS
By late afternoon on Sunday, a dormant petition to remove St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor had fired up again. The petition was started 11 months ago, claiming a lack of vision and leadership from the coach.

It accused McGregor of being blinded by his own poor decisions and strategies. On and on it went, with close to 3000 signatures on a document that signifies the frustration felt by Dragons supporters with the way their side has played not just this year, but last year and the year before that.

McGregor is the latest whipping boy for Dragons fans, just as former chief executive Peter Doust and ex-coach Steve Price were before him. Fortunately for “Mary” McGregor, no crowds means the “Fail Mary” banner hasn’t made an appearance on the hill this season.

2a793e0dce06f29079e7dd751b1a0992

Warriors put heat on Dragons coach|Festival of the reboot: Warriors grab the heart but Raiders the head|Tommy Turbo burns off Bulldogs|Gritty Knights dig deep against Panthers|Tigers compound Sharks’ woes|Raiders storm home in Melbourne
Hunt limped through most of the second half, but he was legless before that. So dire was his display, some have called on the Dragons coach to axe his million-dollar No 7 to save his own career.

Even that may not be enough. McGregor signed a new deal last year and has the rest of this season and next on his contract, which means a payout won’t be cheap.

The Dragons have a reputation for being thrifty and it is unlikely the Gordon family, which owns 50 per cent of the club, would want to shell out more than $1 million to pay out their coach.

The other question is who would replace McGregor? The premiership winner Shane Flanagan is on staff, but he is banned from becoming a head coach for another year.

Acting NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo told The Australian last week he would be happy to sit down with Flanagan, but it seems difficult to fathom a scenario whereby the NRL would relax its ban on his coaching aspirations.

Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership. Every game of every round Live & On-Demand with no-ad breaks during play. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

The other name linked with the Dragons is Wayne Bennett. The last time St George Illawarra fans were really happy with their coach, the seven-time premiership winner was the man in charge.

Bennett knows he will be on his way out of Souths at the end of 2021, and he has made it clear he wants to coach again — and he has a good relationship with officials at St George Illawarra.

The Australian was told a third party had contacted Bennett to gauge his interest, but there is no indication the approach was done with the Dragons’ knowledge.

Regardless, Bennett may find the lure of the Dragons and a fresh contract palatable. Alternatively, he may decide to wait and see what the NRL decides when it comes to a second team in Brisbane.

As for McGregor, he is fighting for his future, and the next three weeks are likely to be decisive.

Former State of Origin teammate Brad Fittler urged the Dragons to keep the faith.

“Stick with Mary for two years. Seriously, you’ve got to start giving the coach a bit of power,” he said.

URL LINK ADDED BY MODERATOR: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...r/news-story/8c6b7806c4d5d3a088cdd95ba490e0a0

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts