What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Channel 9 the home of rugby league?

taipan

Referee
They are feeling great, got a great deal off the NRL to broadcast basically all the big supported clubs every week. Great for ratings at a discount price.

They are still there, when perhaps down the line had to file for bankruptcy.Economy is doing so well ATM.
Ratings also may have had a lot to do, with nothing else on and people spending more time indoors.
And should the AFL have to accept a lower current deal, ch7 will breathe a sigh of relief.Ditto A League.

T-Boon

Coach
You would think these nine guys who have been made rich by rugby league (Sterling, Fittler, Thaiday etc) would be so embarrassed about how Marks was over the last 2 months and would kind of apologise on the footy show for how big of ass he is. Maybe not in so many words but like try to over compensate over the next 2 years by commentating in nothing but a positive way.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I see another puff piece today about Vlandys in the Ch9 mouthpiece smh. If only the game had known years ago that all it had to do was hand Ch9 $100million and they’d say nice things about them lol!

Reactions: gUt

davi

Juniors
Afternoon sport updates on the news for 9, most of the time start with an AFL story.Nine still have the AFL Footy Show in AFL states.,the rugby league one was ditched.
Yep ch9 is the home of rugby league, as North Korea is the home to democracy.

If 9 doesn't put it on when they pay more, they sure as hell aren't going to put it on, when they pay less.They are losing money hand over foot as it is.

The Rugby league Sunday Footy Show is not completely ditched in AFL states. The replay usually gets televised from 1PM to 3PM on GEM in Victoria eastern states time, and 12:30PM to 2:30PM in SA via SA time, and 11:00am to 1:00PM WA via WA time then the NRL nine Sunday match coverage gets televised live after that. I'm not defending NINE but it's not correct that the NRL Sunday Footy Show has been completely ditched. The other thing as a Queenslander living in Melbourne I'm just grateful that its televised at all and I'm not bothered it's on GEM. However if you are trying to build up the popularity of the sport in these states then yeah it kind of does suxs.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
They are still there, when perhaps down the line had to file for bankruptcy.Economy is doing so well ATM.
Ratings also may have had a lot to do, with nothing else on and people spending more time indoors.
And should the AFL have to accept a lower current deal, ch7 will breathe a sigh of relief.Ditto A League.

Like I said they'd feel great!!

The Rugby league Sunday Footy Show is not completely ditched in AFL states. The replay usually gets televised from 1PM to 3PM on GEM in Victoria eastern states time, and 12:30PM to 2:30PM in SA via SA time, and 11:00am to 1:00PM WA via WA time then the NRL nine Sunday match coverage gets televised live after that. I'm not defending NINE but it's not correct that the NRL Sunday Footy Show has been completely ditched. The other thing as a Queenslander living in Melbourne I'm just grateful that its televised at all and I'm not bothered it's on GEM. However if you are trying to build up the popularity of the sport in these states then yeah it kind of does suxs.

Thats good to know, I’m in SA these days and just flicked on the telly to watch the NRL show, but the AFL one started of course (light bulb moment - I’m not in Sydney any more)..

They did talk about the NRL for a bit though, no surprise given it’s the only gig in town. But I turned it off after that. Might watch the NRL show later today then, freezing and overcast outside. Made for TV today.

They are feeling great, got a great deal off the NRL to broadcast basically all the big supported clubs every week. Great for ratings at a discount price.

yes true, ratings bonanza this round. Restarting the NRL and being only sport in town will help. And of course they’ll feel happy about their deal.

But would they be happier had they not snubbed the raiders in weighing in on the NRL draw.. ? 3 games for one of the heavyweights and (in my opinion) the best team to watch playing football in the last 12 months.

I’m glad they’ve only got a 2 year deal.

taipan

Referee

Agree.People are conditioned to the main channels' intend to use the lesser ones for specific reasons only.So non NRL tragics naturally don't get to se it on the main one.

Vee

First Grade
Has anyone wondered whether the NRL sought a guarantee for the broadcasters not to go back and reevaluate each six to go call? Apparently Nine pushed for the rule as they thought it would result in a better product, surely it could go both ways with the NRL looking to cut down on ref bashing from Nine and Fox.
The game moves on too quickly. Without the breaks, there is little opportunity for Gus and his fellow idiots to carry on.

taipan

Referee
very altruistic of Vlandys to screw the nrl to help out a tv station that is sht at its business.

Perhaps the pandemic and its effects have screwed the NRL/AFL /every other code you can name.And 98% of businesses in this country.
But of course as you believe the pandemic and its effects are just a passing phase, you'd hold to that view, unsurprisingly. From someone who spent post after post bagging Greenberg in the years of his tenure, to at the last minute thinking he really did no wrong, and it's all V'Landys fault as the big ogre.

Using your logic the Banks in this country had a 50% drop in profit as a result of this pandemic,must be sh*t at business.Businesses make decisions at times with staff, who turn out less than expected as Nine /NRL and other organisations have done.
Virgin Australia went into administration, must also be sh*t at business.
Rio Tinto stuffed up an Aboriginal heritage sight, they are sh*t at business.
Nine has made bad decisions,as has 7 ,and 10.ABC don't give a stuff, we just continue to fund them

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perhaps the pandemic and its effects have screwed the NRL/AFL /every other code you can name.And 98% of businesses in this country.
But of course as you believe the pandemic and its effects are just a passing phase, you'd hold to that view, unsurprisingly. From someone who spent post after post bagging Greenberg in the years of his tenure, to at the last minute thinking he really did no wrong, and it's all V'Landys fault as the big ogre.

Using your logic the Banks in this country had a 50% drop in profit as a result of this pandemic,must be sh*t at business.Businesses make decisions at times with staff, who turn out less than expected as Nine /NRL and other organisations have done.
Virgin Australia went into administration, must also be sh*t at business.
Rio Tinto stuffed up an Aboriginal heritage sight, they are sh*t at business.
Nine has made bad decisions,as has 7 ,and 10.ABC don't give a stuff, we just continue to fund them

perhaps nine were losing viewers well before the pandemic? Perhaps they are sht at their jobs? Perhaps their coverage of nrl has been so poor that it has driven Hundreds of thousands of viewers to other platforms? Perhaps they shouldn’t have signed a massive tv deal with nrl in 2015 if they couldn’t meet the contract?
Perhaps this is just the excuse they were looking for to screw the nrl?
Yes virgin were sht at their business, they were living on unsustainable debt, this was just the straw that broke the back of an unsustainable business model,
Not sure what rio having no ethics has to do with it but yeh I’d say that was a pretty sht act.
The bank stories are “could”. No ones losing sleep if banks only make $12billion profit instead of $24billion!

Thought I’d take a look to see how many other major sports had been threatened by their network partner to rip up the contract during covid. Guess what I found? not one.
Yes that’s right, across the entire planet with countries getting much harder hit than us and with much larger financial commitments I couldn’t find one tv partner saying they were considering walking away from their contract with that sport. Interesting hey?

taipan

Referee
perhaps nine were losing viewers well before the pandemic? Perhaps they are sht at their jobs? Perhaps their coverage of nrl has been so poor that it has driven Hundreds of thousands of viewers to other platforms? Perhaps they shouldn’t have signed a massive tv deal with nrl in 2015 if they couldn’t meet the contract?
Perhaps this is just the excuse they were looking for to screw the nrl?
Yes virgin were sht at their business, they were living on unsustainable debt, this was just the straw that broke the back of an unsustainable business model,
Not sure what rio having no ethics has to do with it but yeh I’d say that was a pretty sht act.
The bank stories are “could”. No ones losing sleep if banks only make $12billion profit instead of $24billion!

Thought I’d take a look to see how many other major sports had been threatened by their network partner to rip up the contract during covid. Guess what I found? not one.
Yes that’s right, across the entire planet with countries getting much harder hit than us and with much larger financial commitments I couldn’t find one tv partner saying they were considering walking away from their contract with that sport. Interesting hey?

As they are in fact ahead of ch7 in the overall ratings probably why they weren't fussed.about preparing to go to court for the NRL broadcasts. Which were down in ratings.And if you are down in TV ratings for a product, the incentive to pay more goes down, but to pay less especially in times like this.
They seem to get big ratings for trash TV.
Not arguing about their coverage, their promotion of the NRL always has been ordinary.Kayo no doubt has had an impact.

Sheesh 2015 is not 2020.The comparison is like comparing a gold ingot with a t*rd.Please show me the virus operating in 2015 and people losing jobs and the world economy up sh*t street without a paddle?

"Unsustainable debt" correct, and guess what 9 and Foxtel have huge debt which if it continues to rapidly increase would be unsustainable. V'Landys would have realised that point. ch7 wasn't available to fill in the vacancy.
"Screw the NRL".as you are so full of knowledge of the actual deal ,please spell the actual figures out.No guesswork.

"No one loses sleep if Banks drop 50% in profit at times like these",That shows ,you are even more clueless than you project.People who depend on dividends from Banks in their retirement lose sleep.These dividends also filter into Super funds, of which we are probably all members,that effects balances.Staff in these Banks lose jobs due to cutbacks .Oh and interest rates are lows incomes for many are further reduced. The economy is not your strong point.

Seeing you are supposedly so diligent, have you checked worldwide and here ,to see if TV deals are being renegotiated to accomodate the huge loss in revenue ,they are being impacted by.

So for example, as Foxtel is talking about a reduced A League deal,AFL with ch7 and Foxtel and it happens, will you continue to display the usual ignorance .And Union has already been told to expect a lower deal next one.

Johnny88

Juniors
Looks like the Storm V Souths will be live on 9HD in Melbourne was announced on their AFL show tonight lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts