What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

merahputih

Juniors
While I agree that McGregor has had a free ride with most of the sports journos, I think there is now blood in the water and the media sharks are circling. As happens with real sharks in the ocean they will be joined quickly by others as the corpse gets ripped apart and the feeding frenzy intensifies. This latest news that he was on full coin during the Covid-19 plague while some of his (more successful) counterparts took pay cuts isn't going to help his cause or ease the perception that he has lost the dressing room, which is usually fatal in any professional team sport.
Sportsbet has both the Dragons and Bulldogs at $1.90 for this week's game :says it all!

matPORTS

Juniors
Gus was involved with the review as an 'external consultant'. Again, I'm still confused as to exactly what this was about and what the findings actually were. James Hooper describing it as a paper shuffle review aint far from the mark I suppose.

Again, we had another round of sackings & new appointments within the coaching, medical, support & backroom staff, significantly also bringing in Shane Flannagan and James Shepherd. But once again, McGregor and Millward seemingly escaped any 'microscope level' scrutiny for their short-comings as both head coach and head of recruitment.

Some other significant comments and replies from Hooper on his blog today:

upload_2020-6-1_15-47-47.png

Struggle to agree. Sure, we have a representative level forward pack (but not for much longer looking at the Frizell situation, the fact that Graham is on worn legs and the JdB situation). But we are loaded with way too many reserve grade standard outside backs (whether the likes of Saab, Sailor, Ramsey can excel to first grade standard and even any continued development of Lomax, Dufty etc is subjective looking at who is coaching them). I've mentioned a couple of times on these forums that I thought we were in trouble when Nightingale retired - and I know many were waiting for Nightingale to hang up the boots, so we could usher in the next generation, given he was on tired legs and no longer the 'standard-type' winger that the rigors of NRL footy now commands. But boy we have struggled to replace that 200+ games of experience, haven't we?

Some would also argue that the outside backs have been in trouble since Brett Morris was allowed out the door. Looking at the way both Morris boys are playing now, would have happily had one or both of them back in the Red V. But I'm sure there is some sort of irreparable falling out that Brett had with Mary which prevented any home coming for either.

upload_2020-6-1_16-2-11.png
upload_2020-6-1_16-5-9.png

Reddragon

Bench
While I agree that McGregor has had a free ride with most of the sports journos, I think there is now blood in the water and the media sharks are circling. As happens with real sharks in the ocean they will be joined quickly by others as the corpse gets ripped apart and the feeding frenzy intensifies. This latest news that he was on full coin during the Covid-19 plague while some of his (more successful) counterparts took pay cuts isn't going to help his cause or ease the perception that he has lost the dressing room, which is usually fatal in any professional team sport.
Sportsbet has both the Dragons and Bulldogs at $1.90 for this week's game :says it all!

I think we need to pin a clear, factual account of McGregor's coaching record on this site for lazy journalists and commentators. No comments. No opinions. Just the facts.
Not a couple of minutes from a grand final, but the brutal facts: one semi-final win in 6 seasons, now going on 7.
Only one good half season in all that time.
Longest losing streak.
That kind of stuff, nothing else.

RedVee

First Grade
I think we need to pin a clear, factual account of McGregor's coaching record on this site for lazy journalists and commentators. No comments. No opinions. Just the facts.
Not a couple of minutes from a grand final, but the brutal facts: one semi-final win in 6 seasons, now going on 7.
Only one good half season in all that time.
Longest losing streak.
That kind of stuff, nothing else.
Only coach held to nil at Jubilee... twice.

Wittenberg

Juniors
So with blood in the water and no chance of Flanagan until 2022, we face the prospect of Dean Young......hmmm not exactly a great prospect, but Mary has to go irrespective of the follow up coach problem

LINESPEED

Juniors
So with blood in the water and no chance of Flanagan until 2022, we face the prospect of Dean Young......hmmm not exactly a great prospect, but Mary has to go irrespective of the follow up coach problem

ABM (anyone ....)

The Drover’s Dog if available

He’d teach them linespeed, offload & backup - an easy 20 points a game straight up with that roster

...without Aitken & Lafai to muddy the water of course

Last edited:

Yes, triage unit to stop the bleeding!

With the mass media finally turning against him:-

There has never been an opportunity like this for you blokes to stand up and save your club.
Here and now, the eyes of the game are upon you.

It can’t be another big media bubble and then disappear as people get distracted.

Mary told you that he was going to keep every last red cent of the clubs hard earned in his wallet. Coops said as much as well.

There’s crocodile tears at press conferences as his wallet gets fatter and fatter.

No goodwill like many other coaches. No leadership where the rubber hits the road.
No walking the walk.

As hoops suggested, the review was a phoney and a fake. Gould’s left the building. Shame on him.

No performance clause. All power was given up unto Mary and he’s led you into the valley of rugby league death.

The ordinary people with signs, taken away, interrogated and prevented from voicing their opinion. Martyrs.

And worst of all, the promises, the excuses and the lies stuffed down your throats. So many have been torn apart here on this thread, I’ve lost count.

And there’s still a few fans that buy the propaganda. Pity them.

It wasn’t just me, swinging my axe into Marys coaching at hoops forum today. There was so many posters, he was struggling to keep up. Take heart.

Not one step back, do or die.

He’s on the ropes, now finish his coaching career off.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Love and agree with both your choices.
Toovey would be my outright choice.
No way he would play favourites and can you imagine him tolerating Saturday's performance against the Warriors?
Two things stand out to me with this guy:
1. Simmering passion and drive.
2. Serious football smarts.
Toovey is a tough little rooster that will make a huge difference to our team.
Coaches like Hook and other also rans are not the answer.
For me Hook (Griffin) plays his cards too close to his chest and gives the supporters little emotion or any insight into what his thinking or analysis of the game just played.
But of couse would be an improvement on McWinless

But Bellamy, Robbo and most other coaches tell you plenty and dont bable corporate crap...ahhh to dream..one day!

For me Hook (Griffin) plays his cards too close to his chest and gives the supporters little emotion or any insight into what his thinking or analysis of the game just played.

But Bellamy, Robbo and most other coaches tell you plenty and dont bable corporate crap...ahhh to dream..one day!

Tooves will bring a lot of upbeat enthusiasm with him. I’m sure he’d accept a staggered payment regime to accommodate him right now. He’s been wanting back in the game for ages. He should never have been sacked. Manly are an ingrateful lot.

piesplusreturns

Juniors

Matt Elliott basically put in a pitch for the job Sunday arvo on Grandstand. I'd take him. Mind you, I'd take tetanus over McGregor.

BLM01

First Grade
Did we need confirmation Paul, you have lost the players . Do the honourable thing and walk.
How is Dean Young a long time coach in waiting. He has done a few meek assistant years under Mc0 and couple of share Junior and or lower grade coaching roles with Hornby.
he has been defensive and forward coach in recent years...how has that all been going.
Look at Fitzgibbon and others....up to 10 years or more in assistant roles to top line coaches,
How is he even close to being ready
Please...if their is any justice..not Dean Young.

hazzbeen

Bench
How is Dean Young a long time coach in waiting. He has done a few meek assistant years under Mc0 and couple of share Junior and or lower grade coaching roles with Hornby.
he has been defensive and forward coach in recent years...how has that all been going.
Look at Fitzgibbon and others....up to 10 years or more in assistant roles to top line coaches,
How is he even close to being ready
Please...if their is any justice..not Dean Young.
as long as Daddy is there he is every chance.....

Tuddy

Juniors
McGregors going to earn $62,500 in the next MONTH.

He’s not quitting.

Sack him as coach and make him paint Kogarah Oval for the money. It’s not right that he just gets to walk away with a cheque once this is done. Make him earn it.

There’s no way there would be a clause in his contract stopping the club from doing this to him. No one involved in this mess is that smart.