What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

I a little confused as to how we cannot afford to pay out the dipshit.

Firstly I don’t think he is anywhere near the money mentioned as I recall once someone said he is on around 300-$450000 and was signed cause he was a cheap option

In saying that I just browsed through the financials of the St George leagues club and me being involved in finance can tell you they are a strong entity with plenty and I mean plenty of dollars in assets debt free I might add and have almost 20 million cash in bank.
I may be working but if anyone can tell me I can only say what I saw and the club can pay out dipshit and it wound hurt there bottom line one bit

Good point.

getsmarty

Immortal
Hooper: $800k Mary fails to take COVID paycut — while his Dragons play like ‘strangers’
Dragons
james_hooper.jpg

b830a54c11740d24abdf8251b17c9e65

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is under pressure.Source: Getty Images
Under-siege Dragons coach Paul McGregor has been on full pay of his $800,000-a-season salary for the entire COVID-19 shutdown as the blame game at St George Illawarra turns uglier by the hour.

While the likes of rival NRL coaches Dean Pay and John Morris were stood down without pay and Roosters three-time premiership-winner Trent Robinson took a 40 per cent cut, McGregor has remained on his full wicket.

The development is guaranteed to send the Red V army into a frenzy as they demand McGregor is moved on and rumblings grow louder about the playing group no longer entirely listening to their coach.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/b64a79a62f31aaf1c9bb18dfff561ae5

getsmarty

Immortal
Exclusive: Can’t even beat their own B Team - Dragons belted by reserves before Warriors meltdown
Dragons
  • June 1, 2020 11:16am
  • by George Clarke
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
73357cc9f870c44e8d3816cf0b2252b5

Dragons coach Paul McGregor looks on after the loss to the WarriorsSource: AAP
EXCLUSIVE – Dragons coach Paul McGregor was furious after a Red V training session last weekend which saw a team of reserves and development players pump the majority of the St George Illawarra side which lost to the Warriors.

The Dragons were humbled by the injury-stricken Warriors on the Central Coast on Saturday, plunging McGregor’s future into fresh doubt.

The Red V coach has won just twice in his last 13 games in charge of the Dragons, with both victories coming against the equally hapless Titans.

And now foxsports.com.au can reveal that the warning signs were there in training last Saturday in Wollongong.

Sources close to the Dragons say that a starting side including the likes of Paul Vaughan, Cameron McInnes with a halves pairing of Ben Hunt and Corey Norman were beaten by three tries against a rag-tag B team boasting Adam Clune and Jack de Belin as the halves.

2d8be0e03dce54d942680295f2582cce

Corey Norman’s Dragons performances have left a lot to be desiredSource: AAP
The reserves were said to have battered the starting side through the middle and showed much more desire and an attitude to win.

It is understood that the stood-down de Belin led the charge, while Korbin Sims’ showing in the training run saw him force his way into the starting side for Saturday’s woeful defeat to the Warriors.

The Dragons’ display against the Kiwi outfit prompted Fox League expert Michael Ennis to say that McGregor had to make some tough calls over the coming weeks to save his career.

“He’s got some huge decisions to make, Paul McGregor,” Ennis said on Saturday.

a5ae4b9d3c3bfa162c4c0900e668a8c0

Dragons player Ben Hunt during the side’s clash with the WarriorsSource: AAP
“Under enormous pressure coming in to the season but to lose this afternoon, to have lost three straight now, and the performance of the high profile players – none more than Ben Hunt – he has got some big decisions to make if he is going to remain as head coach of this club.”

With the Dragons handed a relatively straightforward run – Bulldogs, Sharks, Titans – over their next three games, McGregor has a chance to rectify his side’s slow start.

There have been suggestions that Wayne Bennett would come to the club as McGregor’s replacement if he fails to hit the mark, but that option shapes as an expensive one.

The names of English national team coach Shaun Wane and current assistant coach Dean Young have been thrown into the ring.

ff3bd29adf412e3810dac38d5fdb63d3

Dean Young during a St George Illawarra training sessionSource: News Corp Australia
Both would be more cost-effective options, while Young is waiting in the wings after a long apprenticeship as a junior coach.

Shane Flanagan, the club’s current defensive coach, is not allowed to coach until the 2022 season.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/68322113628c81807be75c91a6f17893

BLM01

First Grade
3 losses in a row and getting worse. Flanno might be the bridge the board need to not lose face entirely. Compromise candidate. The scomo of sgi.

Fair enough, you may have more insights than I do on the issue.
He also confirmed as much on 100% footy last night if you can get that 2-3 minute extract when they were discussing the Dragons early on. Dragons could not afford to sack Mary last year..or now?....so they say
It was all about getting him help..but now the light bulb moment has striked at the club as what they should really be doing....Ryan Webb perhaps
Mary wont last this season

LINESPEED

Juniors
We need a Board, Of The People, By The People For The People.
If this was case we would have had a new coach for the beginning of this Season!
We must not stop until he is gone.

....and we need a Chairman who’s NOT best mates with a now universally accepted failed shell of a ‘coach’ who is now despised by his players?

Well Webby
On Day 57
Of “bedding down the coaching changes”
... as you so farcically put it a few weeks ago
(embedded in the glittering optimism of a bullshit statement deflecting & denying the truths of our once great Club’s predicament).

You seem to have slotted into the anti-culture seamlessly

... & you’re learning the hard way that our Club’s true culture is about winning titles
- not marketing, chimera or jobs for the boys.
- & as fans yes we demand excellence, but have been served up shit since 2012

.... by a Board that should’ve sacked itself on principle long ago

So ostensibly we have 2 more weeks of monumental product damage ahead on your watch Ryan?

And your frontman fuc/kwit of a non-coach who’s clearly lost The Shed
-& just let me get this straight -has to only beat either the Dogs OR Sharks to win his reprieve by all accounts (ie 1-5 will do quite nicely for this rather failed Gordon business model?).

“And McGregor himself is well and truly copping it, after it was revealed on Monday he may only have a couple of weeks to save his job”.

So his ‘performance’ of 0-3 (4/21), collapsed morale, universal ridicule & a Media frenzy don’t reflect extenuating circumstances that warrant an extraordinary Board meeting tonight?

A statement (lol)?
Some noise at least from the CEO?

FMD I’m sorry Ryan,
that’s right
your hands are tied,

- and it’s all about Andrew’s call

...and defeating the15th placed piss-weak Dogs will be our new yardstick of excellence to commemorate the rebirth of McSelf next Monday?

And what will have been “saved” exactly?
The stay of execution for another week?
Further descent into apocalypse?

No,no,no Andrew’s mate of course!

That’s what it’s all about - nothing else matters in his Illawarra universe.

I think the people HAVE spoken
Andrew

Argued sensibly in good faith
Shouted in fact
And now screamed defiance
... in the way of revolutions in fact

And despite the Board’s best efforts to shut down true democracy,
....the people have prevailed in this sordid matter,
no matter the futile delay

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
....and we need a Chairman who’s NOT best mates with a now universally accepted failed shell of a ‘coach’ who is now despised by his players?

Well Webby
On Day 57
Of “bedding down the coaching changes”
... as you so farcically put it a few weeks ago
(embedded in the glittering optimism of a bullshit statement deflecting & denying the truths of our once great Club’s predicament).

You seem to have slotted into the anti-culture seamlessly

... & you’re learning the hard way that our Club’s true culture is about winning titles
- not marketing, chimera or jobs for the boys.
- & as fans yes we demand excellence, but have been served up shit since 2012

.... by a Board that should’ve sacked itself on principle long ago

So ostensibly we have 2 more weeks of monumental product damage ahead on your watch Ryan?

And your frontman fuc/kwit of a non-coach who’s clearly lost The Shed
-& just let me get this straight -has to only beat either the Dogs OR Sharks to win his reprieve by all accounts (ie 1-5 will do quite nicely for this rather failed Gordon business model?).

“And McGregor himself is well and truly copping it, after it was revealed on Monday he may only have a couple of weeks to save his job”.

So his ‘performance’ of 0-3 (4/21), collapsed morale, universal ridicule & a Media frenzy don’t reflect extenuating circumstances that warrant an extraordinary Board meeting tonight?

A statement (lol)?
Some noise at least from the CEO?

FMD I’m sorry Ryan,
that’s right
your hands are tied,

- and it’s all about Andrew’s call

...and defeating the15th placed piss-weak Dogs will be our new yardstick of excellence to commemorate the rebirth of McSelf next Monday?

And what will have been “saved” exactly?
The stay of execution for another week?
Further descent into apocalypse?

No,no,no Andrew’s mate of course!

That’s what it’s all about - nothing else matters in his Illawarra universe.

I think the people HAVE spoken
Andrew
And despite the Board’s best efforts to shut down true democracy,
....the people have prevailed in this sordid matter,
no matter the futile delay
You just might be proven wrong re Ryan Webb and sitting on his hands re the coach...sooner than you think..get ready...Flanno?
Wheels are turning...players and others have spoken quietly
It's all over now Baby Blue!
Why do you think all of a sudden there is a media frenzy and they are circling hard over our club all of a sudden..after a 18-0 loss..Cmon. I am happy and it is deserved but most supporters saw this after 2016 & some after the downhill slide in 17 & 18. The media..crickets..it was Garth Brennan and Ivan Cleary
Yes majority of these journos laying the King Gee's into our club...have forgotten so quickly about their loyal support they had for Mary..some as early as this year
The cat has been let out of the bag...their is a major story brewing
Have you not noticed hardly a boo out of the media re the insepid Dogs or Titans or even (Cronulla in part) performances either. They are also on 0 points.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Hooper: $800k Mary fails to take COVID paycut — while his Dragons play like ‘strangers’
Dragons
james_hooper.jpg

b830a54c11740d24abdf8251b17c9e65

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is under pressure.Source: Getty Images
Under-siege Dragons coach Paul McGregor has been on full pay of his $800,000-a-season salary for the entire COVID-19 shutdown as the blame game at St George Illawarra turns uglier by the hour.

While the likes of rival NRL coaches Dean Pay and John Morris were stood down without pay and Roosters three-time premiership-winner Trent Robinson took a 40 per cent cut, McGregor has remained on his full wicket.

The development is guaranteed to send the Red V army into a frenzy as they demand McGregor is moved on and rumblings grow louder about the playing group no longer entirely listening to their coach.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/b64a79a62f31aaf1c9bb18dfff561ae5
So what in 3 months McGregor has gone from $600K to $750K now $800K a year
Which is it? :rolleyes:;)

Coffs dragon

Bench
You just might be proven wrong re Ryan Webb and sitting on his hands re the coach...sooner than you think..get ready...Flanno?
Wheels are turning...players and others have spoken quietly
It's all over now Baby Blue!
Why do you think all of a sudden there is a media frenzy and they are circling hard over our club all of a sudden..after a 18-0 loss..Cmon. I am happy and it is deserved but most supporters saw this after 2016 & some after the downhill slide in 17 & 18. The media..crickets..it was Garth Brennan and Ivan Cleary
Yes majority of these journos laying the King Gee's into our club...have forgotten so quickly about their loyal support they had for Mary..some as early as this year
The cat has been let out of the bag...their is a major story brewing
Have you not noticed hardly a boo out of the media re the insepid Dogs or Titans or even (Cronulla in part) performances either. They are also on 0 points.
God I hope your right BLM, I don’t want to spend an extra week of my life having to think about McDud.

Exclusive: Can’t even beat their own B Team - Dragons belted by reserves before Warriors meltdown
Dragons
  • June 1, 2020 11:16am
  • by George Clarke
  • Source: FOX SPORTS
73357cc9f870c44e8d3816cf0b2252b5

Dragons coach Paul McGregor looks on after the loss to the WarriorsSource: AAP
EXCLUSIVE – Dragons coach Paul McGregor was furious after a Red V training session last weekend which saw a team of reserves and development players pump the majority of the St George Illawarra side which lost to the Warriors.

The Dragons were humbled by the injury-stricken Warriors on the Central Coast on Saturday, plunging McGregor’s future into fresh doubt.

The Red V coach has won just twice in his last 13 games in charge of the Dragons, with both victories coming against the equally hapless Titans.

And now foxsports.com.au can reveal that the warning signs were there in training last Saturday in Wollongong.

Sources close to the Dragons say that a starting side including the likes of Paul Vaughan, Cameron McInnes with a halves pairing of Ben Hunt and Corey Norman were beaten by three tries against a rag-tag B team boasting Adam Clune and Jack de Belin as the halves.

2d8be0e03dce54d942680295f2582cce

Corey Norman’s Dragons performances have left a lot to be desiredSource: AAP
The reserves were said to have battered the starting side through the middle and showed much more desire and an attitude to win.

It is understood that the stood-down de Belin led the charge, while Korbin Sims’ showing in the training run saw him force his way into the starting side for Saturday’s woeful defeat to the Warriors.

The Dragons’ display against the Kiwi outfit prompted Fox League expert Michael Ennis to say that McGregor had to make some tough calls over the coming weeks to save his career.

“He’s got some huge decisions to make, Paul McGregor,” Ennis said on Saturday.

a5ae4b9d3c3bfa162c4c0900e668a8c0

Dragons player Ben Hunt during the side’s clash with the WarriorsSource: AAP
“Under enormous pressure coming in to the season but to lose this afternoon, to have lost three straight now, and the performance of the high profile players – none more than Ben Hunt – he has got some big decisions to make if he is going to remain as head coach of this club.”

With the Dragons handed a relatively straightforward run – Bulldogs, Sharks, Titans – over their next three games, McGregor has a chance to rectify his side’s slow start.

There have been suggestions that Wayne Bennett would come to the club as McGregor’s replacement if he fails to hit the mark, but that option shapes as an expensive one.

The names of English national team coach Shaun Wane and current assistant coach Dean Young have been thrown into the ring.

ff3bd29adf412e3810dac38d5fdb63d3

Dean Young during a St George Illawarra training sessionSource: News Corp Australia
Both would be more cost-effective options, while Young is waiting in the wings after a long apprenticeship as a junior coach.

Shane Flanagan, the club’s current defensive coach, is not allowed to coach until the 2022 season.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/68322113628c81807be75c91a6f17893
If the "B" Team did so well then why didn't he use more players that did well in that game.
What is he afraid of?
What does he have to lose?
BTW Dean Young is even starting to look like McGregor...

He also confirmed as much on 100% footy last night if you can get that 2-3 minute extract when they were discussing the Dragons early on. Dragons could not afford to sack Mary last year..or now?....so they say
It was all about getting him help..but now the light bulb moment has striked at the club as what they should really be doing....Ryan Webb perhaps
Mary wont last this season
If we're talking about affordability, how much does all the help cost I wonder?
In McGregor's case, cost is relative especially if you draw a line through falling memberships and merchandise sales.

getsmarty

Immortal
If the "B" Team did so well then why didn't he use more players that did well in that game.
What is he afraid of?
What does he have to lose?
BTW Dean Young is even starting to look like McGregor...

Dennis...be patient..that would involve learning how to cut and paste a whole B team in place of the 1sts....we all know people are working 14 hour days...these things take time to learn....LOL

TruSaint

Referee
The board will meet and stand him down.
They then will announce that Mary will be on " JobKeeper" , as they cant pay him out.

Imagine being in a position where the payout is over 1.5 mil ( if reports are true ).

Crush

Coach
Hang on, I only skim read this as working but did that article say Flanno may be eligible to coach this year?
Did I mis-read that?

TruSaint

Referee
Hang on, I only skim read this as working but did that article say Flanno may be eligible to coach this year?
Did I mis-read that?

Theres a report out there that the NRL are " open" to looking at Flanno's return earlier should Mary be punted.

Not much detail to be honest. Sorry dont have the link at the minute.