What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 vs the Knights

Lukemac

Juniors
What about mansour at 14 and Naden to the wing?
Mansour could be used very well around the ruck with dummy half runs and quick play the balls late in either half, he could also cover the backs if one went down with injury.
His defence in the middle would be adequate. Have him floating around the field taking plenty of hit ups and and supporting through the middle could work. Couldn’t be any worse than Kenny’s effort off the bench.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
What about mansour at 14 and Naden to the wing?
Mansour could be used very well around the ruck with dummy half runs and quick play the balls late in either half, he could also cover the backs if one went down with injury.
His defence in the middle would be adequate. Have him floating around the field taking plenty of hit ups and and supporting through the middle could work. Couldn’t be any worse than Kenny’s effort off the bench.

Kenny is there to give Api a rest, I don’t think Mansour could do that.

I think you pick Mansour on the wing or not at all.

He ran for 314metres. I’d leave him where he is.

They need to put Hetherington or Lenu on the bench to replace Leota
He always makes a mistake at crucial times in a game.
He also Fatigues to quickly especially now with the rule changes

martielang

Bench
They need to put Hetherington or Lenu on the bench to replace Leota
He always makes a mistake at crucial times in a game.
He also Fatigues to quickly especially now with the rule changes

I get the criticism of him & it's deserved, a crucial miss in defence & play the ball error, but he put us on the front foot every time he ran the ball. Made a positive impact as soon as he came on IMO.

ACTPanthers

Bench
I get the criticism of him & it's deserved, a crucial miss in defence & play the ball error, but he put us on the front foot every time he ran the ball. Made a positive impact as soon as he came on IMO.
As positive an impact he had, his negatives far outweighed it - The missed tackle and unforced error were far more detrimental than anything he did as a positive. Well, in my opinion anyway.

CCJohnC

Juniors
It keeps getting mentioned that we did not use all bench players but I saw all four on at some time. Kenny was on for Api for a time and Burns Tetevano and Leota all played.

martielang

Bench
As positive an impact he had, his negatives far outweighed it - The missed tackle and unforced error were far more detrimental than anything he did as a positive. Well, in my opinion anyway.

I agree with that but I don't think dropping one of our better performing players over the past 18 months because of a couple of poor errors after 2 months + off is the way to go. He otherwise looked good & is looking in decent shape.

I am a strong Leota advocate though, he seems to divide opinion.

martielang

Bench
It keeps getting mentioned that we did not use all bench players but I saw all four on at some time. Kenny was on for Api for a time and Burns Tetevano and Leota all played.

I'm in the minority but I don't think it's essential to use all the bench. One thing I liked about Sir King Hook, is that he didn't just use players just for the sake of it.

In saying that, if Kenny is going to make our bench I think I'd rather see him play lock. Bit of footwork & agility up the middle of the ruck in the latter stage of halves would work well. I just don't see him offering anything at hooker.

I'm in the minority but I don't think it's essential to use all the bench. One thing I liked about Sir King Hook, is that he didn't just use players just for the sake of it.

In saying that, if Kenny is going to make our bench I think I'd rather see him play lock. Bit of footwork & agility up the middle of the ruck in the latter stage of halves would work well. I just don't see him offering anything at hooker.
That’s not a bad idea.
Although if API can go for 80 mins
Liam Martin or Spencer Lenu on the bench will have more impact

Re-watched the game here are my thoughts.

We virtually played with half a spine.

• The obvious concerning point is we didn't score a point after the 23rd minute. With 73% possession at one stage late in the 1st half. The Knights were very gallant, but our attack at times, in my opinion, could have had asked a little more of the defence. If we had a bit of luck we could have scored a few more tries being said. Whare and Yeo were both held up, Crichton made half a break in the Knights half and was looking dangerous before he slipped over. A speedster would have likely scored in the corner where Mansour did not.
  • Aekins is a fine under the high ball and rarely makes mistakes, but he offers nothing in attack. You can get away with a fullback like him if you have 2 dominant halves, a dominant hooker and maybe a speedster on the wing. In our case that is not an option.
  • Luai did not play a halves role in the 1st half. He was absent and when he did get the ball he was a deer in the headlights. Clueless. The 2nd half he perked up more with a few runs (mainly from dummy half) and a clever touch finder in the Knights corner. Apart from that, he was largely disappointing. With a 2 game rookie next to him I would have thought he would have been more involved. To create and offer another attacking threat the Knights would have to counter. In 90 minutes he only had 1 kick. Surely the coach wanted more from him?
  • Burtin played both sides and was the only playmaker. For a 2 game rookie, has was solid. From my point, I would have liked a bit more variety in his kicking. It seemed to be a tactic of bombing, bombing, and more bombing on the last. He did have a few cross kicks and one or 2 grubbers in the in goal but mainly resorted to bombs. I would have liked to have seen him run at the line more too. maybe if Luai did more he could of. He is only 2 games in and will learn and improve. Especially next to a more experienced half.
  • Mansour wasn't as bad as some make out. Yes, he missed passing to Kikau in the early stages of Golden point when he opted for the safe option. He didn't have the speed to score in the corner in the early stages of the 1st half, where a pacy winger would have. Apart from that, he did nothing wrong. Anyone that makes over 300 metres in a game I tip my hat to him. He needs to score tries though. We have 17 games left I would respectfully like him to score 8 or 9 tires. Would love 15+ but that won't happen. He can't have another season of minimal tries.

• If Crichton stays in the centres on Kikau's side, and both get good clean ball, lookout. That is a mouth-watering combination.

• The Knights were always hanging in the game, but I thought like others once Api went off they perked up and took their chances as we appeared to lose control of the ruck. Api needs to be out there as much as possible but given his past injuries at Manly, there will be times he needs a breather. Whether its Kenny or someone else we need to ensure we don't lose too much momentum when and if he needs a breather.

• Burns and Kenny were irrelevant. Kenny was only there to give Api a breather and didn't do much. Burns didn't do much either. Martin, Leniu or Hetherington will offer more
  • I know Andrew Johns is a Novascastrian but as a commentator, he is very frustrating to listen to when your side happens to play his.
  • I like Leota's aggression when he runs but he has to get the birdbrain fumbles out of his game.

• Yeo is a warhorse
It was round one again. Hopefully, when Cleary returns and the rust blows off we will improve. I don't expect a premiership this year but I expect to win more than we lose and make the finals.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Let's not forget that the Knights were short players and had a couple injured during the game leaving a 2 man bench... There are literally NO excuses for our performance. Inexperience or not, we should have won that game even fielding 17 rookies with no NRL experience at all.

Alintheeast

Juniors
That’s not a bad idea.
Although if API can go for 80 mins
Liam Martin or Spencer Lenu on the bench will have more impact
Biggest issue for me after watching match again was the meters gained by the knights during their sets. Large forwards just rumbling through the middle we surrendered the advantage line and Cummins took away the ruck. There was really no backline movements at all and the Knights were spent late in match. They scored their third try when we had had over 60% possession. Normal Penrith performance given the circumstances would have been better if Pearce had played all match.

Pomoz

Bench
That criticism is based on the minutes they played. The Knights were short handed and we only used Kenny for 13 minutes. Api was clearly gassed.

Kilkenny

Coach
Re-watched the game here are my thoughts.

We virtually played with half a spine.

• The obvious concerning point is we didn't score a point after the 23rd minute. With 73% possession at one stage late in the 1st half. The Knights were very gallant, but our attack at times, in my opinion, could have had asked a little more of the defence. If we had a bit of luck we could have scored a few more tries being said. Whare and Yeo were both held up, Crichton made half a break in the Knights half and was looking dangerous before he slipped over. A speedster would have likely scored in the corner where Mansour did not.
  • Aekins is a fine under the high ball and rarely makes mistakes, but he offers nothing in attack. You can get away with a fullback like him if you have 2 dominant halves, a dominant hooker and maybe a speedster on the wing. In our case that is not an option.
  • Luai did not play a halves role in the 1st half. He was absent and when he did get the ball he was a deer in the headlights. Clueless. The 2nd half he perked up more with a few runs (mainly from dummy half) and a clever touch finder in the Knights corner. Apart from that, he was largely disappointing. With a 2 game rookie next to him I would have thought he would have been more involved. To create and offer another attacking threat the Knights would have to counter. In 90 minutes he only had 1 kick. Surely the coach wanted more from him?
  • Burtin played both sides and was the only playmaker. For a 2 game rookie, has was solid. From my point, I would have liked a bit more variety in his kicking. It seemed to be a tactic of bombing, bombing, and more bombing on the last. He did have a few cross kicks and one or 2 grubbers in the in goal but mainly resorted to bombs. I would have liked to have seen him run at the line more too. maybe if Luai did more he could of. He is only 2 games in and will learn and improve. Especially next to a more experienced half.
  • Mansour wasn't as bad as some make out. Yes, he missed passing to Kikau in the early stages of Golden point when he opted for the safe option. He didn't have the speed to score in the corner in the early stages of the 1st half, where a pacy winger would have. Apart from that, he did nothing wrong. Anyone that makes over 300 metres in a game I tip my hat to him. He needs to score tries though. We have 17 games left I would respectfully like him to score 8 or 9 tires. Would love 15+ but that won't happen. He can't have another season of minimal tries.
  • If Crichton stays in the centres on Kikau's side, and both get good clean ball, lookout. That is a mouth-watering combination.

• The Knights were always hanging in the game, but I thought like others once Api went off they perked up and took their chances as we appeared to lose control of the ruck. Api needs to be out there as much as possible but given his past injuries at Manly, there will be times he needs a breather. Whether its Kenny or someone else we need to ensure we don't lose too much momentum when and if he needs a breather.

• Burns and Kenny were irrelevant. Kenny was only there to give Api a breather and didn't do much. Burns didn't do much either. Martin, Leniu or Hetherington will offer more
  • I know Andrew Johns is a Novascastrian but as a commentator, he is very frustrating to listen to when your side happens to play his.
  • I like Leota's aggression when he runs but he has to get the birdbrain fumbles out of his game.
  • Yeo is a warhorse
It was round one again. Hopefully, when Cleary returns and the rust blows off we will improve. I don't expect a premiership this year but I expect to win more than we lose and make the finals.

I admire you. To watch such a frustrating game again i take my hat of to you. Pretty much agree with all your points. Well done.

Latest posts