What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

colly

Juniors
However the NRL stream/ and/or the APP I would say that it will be allowed to 'cast' to TV, which is NOT the case now. The NRL will have control of this APP and will not allow a DRM protection ( Digital Rights Media ) which stops "casting" or even mirroring up to your TV. So in essence it can compete with Kayo and the APP will be downloaded from the NRL digital/arm website which WE CONTROL.

seanoff

Juniors
However the NRL stream/ and/or the APP I would say that it will be allowed to 'cast' to TV, which is NOT the case now. The NRL will have control of this APP and will not allow a DRM protection ( Digital Rights Media ) which stops "casting" or even mirroring up to your TV. So in essence it can compete with Kayo and the APP will be downloaded from the NRL digital/arm website which WE CONTROL.
Not sure fox would be happy with allowing casting out of an nrl app. They may have a clause in the new contract that expressly forbids it. Like now.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I would say it will, they don't want competition. That was the whole point of V'landys pushing Greenberg out the way so News had a say in the direction of the NRL digital, News viewed it as competition and didn't take too kindly to it.

Say the pandemic didn't hit, V'landys was always put into position to guide the game back to News. The pandemic has just sped up the process/agenda.

Once everything is ticked off, Pete will head back to racing a hero.

unforgiven

Bench
I would say it will, they don't want competition. That was the whole point of V'landys pushing Greenberg out the way so News had a say in the direction of the NRL. Forget the pandemic, V'landys was there to guide the game back to News. The pandemic has just sped up the process/agenda.

If Foxtel have paid for the streaming rights, why should they be happy with the NRL having an app allowing streaming?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
They wouldn't, I understand that. But why sign with Fox for 2023-2027, what's the rush.

See where streaming is going, Most people have a dislike and distrust of News Ltd do we want them getting their tentacles around everything again.

colly

Juniors
Not sure fox would be happy with allowing casting out of an nrl app. They may have a clause in the new contract that expressly forbids it. Like now.
You may be right about that, as i remember it, DRM protection occurred when the new contract started. I had the Telstra/NRL stream and it would allow me to cast. It could have been Foxtel (40% telstra 60% News LTD ) telling their partner/Telstra put a DRM protection against 'casting' which they went along with. 2022 will reveal all. I still think the Digital media rights would include streaming like NFL does. We will see soon enough.

unforgiven

Bench
You may be right about that, as i remember it, DRM protection occurred when the new contract started. I had the Telstra/NRL stream and it would allow me to cast. It could have been Foxtel (40% telstra 60% News LTD ) telling their partner/Telstra put a DRM protection against 'casting' which they went along with. 2022 will reveal all. I still think the Digital media rights would include streaming like NFL does. We will see soon enough.
It will be much more cost effective to sell the rights to someone else, atm that someone else if fox. I do remember reading in the article annoucing the new deal that digital wasn't included though.

Perth Red

Post Whore

not going to happen imo. Fox need exclusive streaming rights to drive Kayo subscriptions, why do you think they want the extension?

need to mindful that digital and streaming are not the same thing.

Digital is the arm of the nrl that controls website, media nrl.com, social media etc. the nrl gets its digital revenue from advertisers on these platforms. Fox and Ch9 would love to control this is it is competing with their advertising sales. It is also the development of the platform that nrl could directly produce and sell its own streaming service on, another reason Ch9 and fox want it closed down.

streaming is the actual games and the way they are sold online. For the next 7 years (wtf?) this is now owned by fox. Nice way to cut out future players in the inevitable streaming war that is to come in next 5 years.

AJB1102

First Grade
fox would go bust if they didn’t have nrl, how are they going to say no to us?

Fox Sports Australia might. There would become a point where it was no longer viable for News Ltd to dump money into FSA.

I had hoped this big balls chairman everyone is fawning over would maybe have the Coohoonas to say no more, but instead he has capitulated like the rest, less money, no wins for the game, extension with no competitive tension, undisclosed deals for first time in games history. But hey he makes decisions right?

Maybe the fact the "big balls chairman" with a history of pushing to get what he wants didn't perform his usual strongman tactics indicates he wasn't holding as many aces as you think.

And yes, he does make decisions. He makes them decisively too. Whether they're good or bad remains to be seen (although so far loving 6 again and 1 ref).

Wouldn't you say that is having a vision? Something you slammed Greenberg for lacking, no?

Chook Norris

First Grade
I haven't followed the latest convo on here too closely but taking your parents/sole income providers to court (as I saw suggested somewhere) is not necessarily the smartest thing to do when you cant provide for yourself and you'd be screwed long term without them. Clearly the NRL does not have as much leverage against Fox and 9, or alternatives, as much as some would like to believe.

I'm glad the footy is back and I'm glad people are finally talking up the game. This to me is far more important along with a stable revenue base for the foreseeable future.

taipan

Referee
I would say it will, they don't want competition. That was the whole point of V'landys pushing Greenberg out the way so News had a say in the direction of the NRL digital, News viewed it as competition and didn't take too kindly to it.

Say the pandemic didn't hit, V'landys was always put into position to guide the game back to News. The pandemic has just sped up the process/agenda.

Sheesh .Agenda still in operation.News doesn't like the fact the NRL has a Digital department, neither did 9/SMH,t hey see it as competition with them have journalists and getting scoops before the main media.

Say V'landys never came, we'd still be just coasting along with stuff all assets, wrestling dominating, no decision on expansion,Greenberg trying to please everyone and pleasing few, grassroots struggling, clubs being short changed,Tv ratings on 9 counting to drop, all this with no pandemic.

Imagine Todd controlling when then pandemic was in full swing.They say coaches lose the sheds, well he lost the support of the clubs(that actually are the backbone of the NRL).

I don't care if PVL heads off into the sunset, as long as he completes what he stated he would do.People come and go, and we've had some real non performers in the past.Without naming names.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
If most nrl games involve one team flogging another every week, then the honeymoon period for PVL's rule changes will end fast.

We need some stability and not another NRL 9s/ lottery of one sided games.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
If most nrl games involve one team flogging another every week, then the honeymoon period for PVL's rule changes will end fast.

We need some stability and not another NRL 9s/ lottery of one sided games.

If there is flogging it’s more about the coaches and players being flogged .

There will be only 6 again if teams breaking rules and as you saw there wasn’t dozens and dozens.
What I saw more than anything , players that either not fit, or teams/coaches that relied upon breaking the rules and relying upon set defences throughout a game to defencd.

blame the coaches , not refs not nrl . Blame the coaches

I haven't followed the latest convo on here too closely but taking your parents/sole income providers to court (as I saw suggested somewhere) is not necessarily the smartest thing to do when you cant provide for yourself and you'd be screwed long term without them. Clearly the NRL does not have as much leverage against Fox and 9, or alternatives, as much as some would like to believe.

I'm glad the footy is back and I'm glad people are finally talking up the game. This to me is far more important along with a stable revenue base for the foreseeable future.
PR needs to read this 500 times a day for a month .
Then he might just understand .
Although I doubt it .
He Can't grasp the effect a Pandemic has on a business/jobs/income/sustainability/economies etc after 3 months

LeagueXIII

First Grade
not going to happen imo. Fox need exclusive streaming rights to drive Kayo subscriptions, why do you think they want the extension?.

Agreed, people need to realise just like in the 90's when Fox needed league to drive their new Pay TV the same now applies to streaming.

They have made the most of this crisis and got an extra 5 years and eliminated the competition.

Cue taipan........10...9....8...7....

franklin2323

Immortal
Agreed, people need to realise just like in the 90's when Fox needed league to drive their new Pay TV the same now applies to streaming.

They have made the most of this crisis and got an extra 5 years and eliminated the competition.

Cue taipan........10...9....8...7....

Who was going to be their competition?

Latest posts