What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Attack

TomRedVRiver

Bench
So obviously there are so many things we can pick apart in our attack.
- One out plays
- Boring second man plays
- Minimal offloads
- Poor last tackle options
- No support from.. Well anyone really
etc etc

One thing I have noticed over the last few years though, is the sheer lack of urgency in backline shifts.

Our spreads are boring and predictable, we all know that. But if you recall back to the Bennett years, that left shift of Young to Hornby, Hornby to Soward, Soward cuts out Creagh to Boyd and Boyd would either cut out Cooper to Morris or put it short to Cooper who would barnstorm over.
It was predictable, everybody knew it was coming, but it was SO hard to stop. And why? I mean, they were obviously quality players with immense strength and execution, but I think it boils down to one thing. Speed.

If I was Shepard right now, i'd just be saying one thing to the halves and backs. RUN. Just f**king sprint as hard and fast as you can on those spreads.
If you have a good look, our backs are ALWAYS jogging on those shifts out wide, there is never any urgency.... and when you have a backline who are already short on pace, it's a recipe for disaster.

Teams like Melbourne, the Roosters, Canberra, even Manly... They're all sprinting flat out on their attacking plays, and even if the spread is predictable, they're getting through the line just based off sheer speed of the play. Cronk was amazing at this.

That is something our side needs to cultivate, and I think HUNT is the biggest culprit here. He is a serial jogger, never hits the ball hard enough off dummy half or at second-receiver and stifles our shifts more often than not. This is where I think Clune can make a difference. That little guy never stops sprinting and would put our attack on the front foot.

All it takes is one player to take off, and the whole backline won't have a choice but to go with them. I think it's the key.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
- One out plays
- Minimal offloads
etc etc

One thing I have noticed over the last few years though, is the sheer lack of urgency in backline shifts.

Our spreads are boring and predictable, we all know that. But if you recall back to the Bennett years, that left shift of Young to Hornby, Hornby to Soward, Soward cuts out Creagh to Boyd and Boyd would either cut out Cooper to Morris or put it short to Cooper who would barnstorm over.
It was predictable, everybody knew it was coming, but it was SO hard to stop. And why? I mean, they were obviously quality players with immense strength and execution, but I think it boils down to one thing. Speed.

If I was Shepard right now, i'd just be saying one thing to the halves and backs. RUN. Just f**king sprint as hard and fast as you can on those spreads.
If you have a good look, our backs are ALWAYS jogging on those shifts out wide, there is never any urgency.... and when you have a backline who are already short on pace, it's a recipe for disaster.

Teams like Melbourne, the Roosters, Canberra, even Manly... They're all sprinting flat out on their attacking plays, and even if the spread is predictable, they're getting through the line just based off sheer speed of the play. Cronk was amazing at this.

That is something our side needs to cultivate, and I think HUNT is the biggest culprit here. He is a serial jogger, never hits the ball hard enough off dummy half or at second-receiver and stifles our shifts more often than not. This is where I think Clune can make a difference. That little guy never stops sprinting and would put our attack on the front foot.

All it takes is one player to take off, and the whole backline won't have a choice but to go with them. I think it's the key.
I’m looking more at Norman.

In all honesty I reckon it was 20 mins into the game on the weekend before I saw him with the ball in his hands.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I’m looking more at Norman.

In all honesty I reckon it was 20 mins into the game on the weekend before I saw him with the ball in his hands.

100% Norman is guilty too. Complete show-pony who jogs along in attack and only goes for 1% short-side glory plays. No urgency about him, which is such a shame, because there's a footballer in him.

Old Timer

Coach
The press coming out talking about how the "reggies' beat the 1st grade team 3 tries - zip.

In doing so I note they talk about JDB being in the "reggies" halves causing havoc.

Our halves have been an issue for ever including a top shelf 5/8 like Widdop not being able to produce the goods game in game out and make the difference and now Norman & Hunt both underperforming.

So what do we do in an opposed session in the positions that cause us the most headache we run a bloke who cant even be selected.

FMD surely it was incumbent upon us to make sure that the no 3 & 4 halves in our squad are playing as much footy together as humanly possible so they can form combinations and step up into the 1st grade side?

The press instantly focussing on JDB and not a mention of Host, Ford, Clune, Saab or anyone else that must have contributed to the "reggies" win or was it just that our 1st grade halves were shit scared of JDB that they dogged it?

No wonder we have no attacking threats as we are dysfunctional in almost everything we do on and off the field.

Old Timer

Coach
100% Norman is guilty too. Complete show-pony who jogs along in attack and only goes for 1% short-side glory plays. No urgency about him, which is such a shame, because there's a footballer in him.
No there's not he is a myth and gets by on 2 or 3 good games a year where his opportunism pays off.

qld redvee

Juniors
James Hooper has now started to bag our supercoach and over the last couple of days has stated that MARY is the attack coach .... We all know mary will not accept advice so how does this smug arrogant person suddenly manage to devise ways to attack all by his little self ????? He simply cant so if anything changes then (IMO) he has been told to either listen to your assisstants and make change or he has been told to move aside .. Same as any "outlandish" player changes .
One day mary says perform or perish then in the presser we will review and make changes if they improve the team ( right adjustment ) So if he dont like you its business as usual UNLESS there is a mutiny and commonsense prevails
I pray we have a mutiny and then he walks the plank

Dragon David

First Grade
- One out plays
- Minimal offloads
etc etc

Your analysis is good TomRedVRiver. Movement is slow in general with shuffles rather than hard running with speed. Hunt does tend to jog too much making his outside men jog as well. He has definitely got to lift in this area and sprint.

Clune is the answer. Many pundits have mentioned him and I for one think that he plays similarly to Luke Keary and he reads the play much better than Norman in only a few games in trials that I have seen of him. He certainly is worth a try in the next couple of weeks.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The press coming out talking about how the "reggies' beat the 1st grade team 3 tries - zip.

In doing so I note they talk about JDB being in the "reggies" halves causing havoc.

Our halves have been an issue for ever including a top shelf 5/8 like Widdop not being able to produce the goods game in game out and make the difference and now Norman & Hunt both underperforming.

So what do we do in an opposed session in the positions that cause us the most headache we run a bloke who cant even be selected.

FMD surely it was incumbent upon us to make sure that the no 3 & 4 halves in our squad are playing as much footy together as humanly possible so they can form combinations and step up into the 1st grade side?

The press instantly focussing on JDB and not a mention of Host, Ford, Clune, Saab or anyone else that must have contributed to the "reggies" win or was it just that our 1st grade halves were shit scared of JDB that they dogged it?

No wonder we have no attacking threats as we are dysfunctional in almost everything we do on and off the field.

Obviously practising 'social distancing'.
Kudos to the NRL squad!

SaintPeter

Juniors
Why do the media keep supporting Mary?
In today's paper a video of Fittler calling for the Dragons to back Mary?
Is there a general consensus of hatred, among the media, to keep the Dragons as a mediocre club? i.e. by not building pressure etc, on a massively under performing coach and the board.

Dragon David

First Grade
Why do the media keep supporting Mary?
In today's paper a video of Fittler calling for the Dragons to back Mary?
Is there a general consensus of hatred, among the media, to keep the Dragons as a mediocre club? i.e. by not building pressure etc, on a massively under performing coach and the board.
They just want us down at the bottom of the ladder every year so a good way to do this is to give praise to the bald eagle and say we should back him not sack him.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Our attack has been the same predictable rubbish for 6 years (or more).

5 lumbering hit ups then kick.

When we do get enterprising in our plays it's just a simple block play and looking for the fullback only.

Someone like Dufty scores some freak trys but they aren't by design and, in the main, ad-lib.

Examine how we attack from 10-20 metres out, one out bash and barge. This is bush footy mentality.

I would also suggest that we are the slowest team at 'spreading' the ball. Our halves, edge forwards and centres gave zero time to create anything. Its been the same for 6yrs (or more).

The 'theory' behind the POWA game is the hit up hy the forward is supposed to attracr multiple defenfers, therefore opening gaps in defensive lines. Thats great if the tackled foreard lanfs on his front, plays the ball quickly and then spread to the creative players. Unfortunately, we do exactly the opposite, hence multiple POWA hit ups.

The fact that the drums are beating loudly for McGregors exit, it will be interesting to witness the changes to our attacking structures

hewi

Bench
The back line operates like an 8 cylinder engine with only 5 working. Watch the good teams they are slick we are sick. The wheel has gone full circle it all starts with the coach.

dragons girl

Juniors
Our attack has been the same predictable rubbish for 6 years (or more).

5 lumbering hit ups then kick.

When we do get enterprising in our plays it's just a simple block play and looking for the fullback only.

Someone like Dufty scores some freak trys but they aren't by design and, in the main, ad-lib.

Examine how we attack from 10-20 metres out, one out bash and barge. This is bush footy mentality.

I would also suggest that we are the slowest team at 'spreading' the ball. Our halves, edge forwards and centres gave zero time to create anything. Its been the same for 6yrs (or more).

The 'theory' behind the POWA game is the hit up hy the forward is supposed to attracr multiple defenfers, therefore opening gaps in defensive lines. Thats great if the tackled foreard lanfs on his front, plays the ball quickly and then spread to the creative players. Unfortunately, we do exactly the opposite, hence multiple POWA hit ups.

The fact that the drums are beating loudly for McGregors exit, it will be interesting to witness the changes to our attacking structures

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Our attack is basically non existent unless Dufty makes a break or one of our wingers makes a tackle bust and something starts from there. Our halves have no vision whatsoever, nor do they have game management skills, ideally would be nice to have one half managing the game and the other probing around making things happen with a bit of creativity. They get to the end of the set put up a not too threatening bomb and just go through the motions. I firmly believe its not exaggeration to say that if Mary were to drop both Hunt and Norman for Clune and Sailor our attack would instantly improve, not to the point of winning a GF right away but at least would give us some entertainment. Both fast with plenty of spark and good passing kicking games. Clune would be the scheming organising Matt Head type player, Sailor would be the fast off the cuff 5/8 ala Mundine. Who on here can hand to heart say they would prefer Norman on current form to Sailor? Who on here can say the same about Clune over Hunt? Ready made combo from reserves too.

hazzbeen

Bench
We need Mary gone.Lost the shed,no idea of anything,defence attack have lost frizzell,players don't care changes should have been made but he won't do it he has bourght our once mighty club too it's knees along with the board who gave him an extension clean out the club and start again.
The lot if them need eradication the club has become toxic ....

Belta

Juniors
Our attack is basically non existent unless Dufty makes a break or one of our wingers makes a tackle bust and something starts from there. Our halves have no vision whatsoever, nor do they have game management skills, ideally would be nice to have one half managing the game and the other probing around making things happen with a bit of creativity. They get to the end of the set put up a not too threatening bomb and just go through the motions. I firmly believe its not exaggeration to say that if Mary were to drop both Hunt and Norman for Clune and Sailor our attack would instantly improve, not to the point of winning a GF right away but at least would give us some entertainment. Both fast with plenty of spark and good passing kicking games. Clune would be the scheming organising Matt Head type player, Sailor would be the fast off the cuff 5/8 ala Mundine. Who on here can hand to heart say they would prefer Norman on current form to Sailor? Who on here can say the same about Clune over Hunt? Ready made combo from reserves too.

To describe our attack as non-existent is a fair description. My biggest criticism of Mary is that he won’t accept he is wrong. He doesn’t have the gall to drop players who under-perform. With a the record of losses mounting why not try Clune and Sailor in the halves. Why not give Hunt a run at dummy half. These are important attacking areas where we create nought. McInnes can do 70 odd tackles at 13. And for craziness stakes I’d throw Fuiamano and Rav or Kerr in the centres, (another area where we create nought in attack)and find a spot for Ramsey with Lomax at the back. His height and strength will see him as a solid choice as a fullback. Dufty off the bench add impact amongst tired forwards and a coach to implement said changes.

blacksafake

First Grade
I’ve been saying for years, We are by far the most unskilled footy side in the nrl. Just the simple plays like catch & pass, especially at speed are nonexistent throughout the club. I can’t even remember the last time one of our players picked up a pass around the the bootlaces on the run without dropping it or falling over.

Old Timer

Coach
I’ve been saying for years, We are by far the most unskilled footy side in the nrl. Just the simple plays like catch & pass, especially at speed are nonexistent throughout the club. I can’t even remember the last time one of our players picked up a pass around the the bootlaces on the run without dropping it or falling over.
The only thing we are good at is errors.

We can make an error out of the most simple of situations.