What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Cameron Smith play one season too long?

Will Cameron Smith play one season too long?

• Total voters

davi

Juniors
Cam Smith should shut his stupid merkin mouth. If he wants to shut the comp, he can put in the cash from the 48 contracts he signed in 2007.

The thing is the NRL also thinks Cameron Smith shouldn't have put his beak into it. The latest comments apparently have infuriated the NRL. It's all right for players, coaches, and commentators to have views on these matters but Brad Fittler stated on the Sunday Footy Show he doesn't know enough to have a view on how this matter should be handled. Basically Fittler was saying he doesn't have the expertise to make these decisions and leave it to the people who do which is quite sensible.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/foo...onavirus-comments/ar-BB11gWGR?ocid=spartandhp

moffla

Bench
The thing is the NRL also thinks Cameron Smith shouldn't have put his beak into it. The latest comments apparently have infuriated the NRL. It's all right for players, coaches, and commentators to have views on these matters but Brad Fittler stated on the Sunday Footy Show he doesn't know enough to have a view on how this matter should be handled. Basically Fittler was saying he doesn't have the expertise to make these decisions and leave it to the people who do which is quite sensible.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/foo...onavirus-comments/ar-BB11gWGR?ocid=spartandhp
He was asked at a presser, and as president of the RLPA, I'd like to think he certainly does have as the right to talk from a playing point of view.

The health experts have already told everyone to practice social distancing and avoid contact etc. The NRL is clinging to anything they can to save dollars - they aren't listening to experts at all, just merely adhering to enforced guidelines rather than recommendations.

They won't stop until it becomes mandatory, and that's fact.

What Smith said is actually the smartest way to go about it. Suffer now, take a month off and actually develop a plan A,B,C,D etc rather than changing tact every 12 hours leaving everyone guessing.

The NRL only want the game to continue for financial purposes - but it's bound to shut down at some point. The quicker us as a society take this thing seriously and minimise the spread, the quicker we can get back to really enjoying things like Rugby League.

Just my two cents

_Johnsy

Referee
He was asked at a presser, and as president of the RLPA, I'd like to think he certainly does have as the right to talk from a playing point of view.

The health experts have already told everyone to practice social distancing and avoid contact etc. The NRL is clinging to anything they can to save dollars - they aren't listening to experts at all, just merely adhering to enforced guidelines rather than recommendations.

They won't stop until it becomes mandatory, and that's fact.

What Smith said is actually the smartest way to go about it. Suffer now, take a month off and actually develop a plan A,B,C,D etc rather than changing tact every 12 hours leaving everyone guessing.

The NRL only want the game to continue for financial purposes - but it's bound to shut down at some point. The quicker us as a society take this thing seriously and minimise the spread, the quicker we can get back to really enjoying things like Rugby League.

Just my two cents

As the president of the RLPA if the season is abandoned for say 8 weeks as he wants a suspension of the comp, will he (in a personal context & as president of the RLPA) advocate for the loss of income to all players?

8 week hiatus is 32%, so cam on his million dollar contract happily forgo $320,000.
A player on the base salary of $75k ( I believe is the base) loses 24k.

I just cannot see Cam "three contracts" Smith advocating this on a personal level or as president of the RLPA.

I'd be happy if I was proven wrong, but I just can't see him going for it. if anything those earning the top tier of contracts should forgo $$, whereas those earning the minimum should not receive a pay cut.

James Graham thinks so. I think he'd make a great advocate for players post career with the RLPA.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/16/graham-players-would-consider-pay-cuts-if-games-cancelled/

Graham said the players could draw inspiration from the way people in communities on the NSW South Coast supported each other after the recent bushfire devastation.

If players were required to take pay cuts, Graham suggested those earning big money would be likely to take a bigger cut than their teammates on minimum wage.

"Would everyone take the same percentage, you have got to presume not," he said. "Obviously that would affect everyone differently but this isn’t just rugby league, it is all members of society who are probably staring this in the face.

"From a player’s point of view, if there is a restructure in payment the RLPA would take over. Nothing has been discussed as yet but if we were to get there I would guess that the players would look to look after each other."

moffla

Bench
As the president of the RLPA if the season is abandoned for say 8 weeks as he wants a suspension of the comp, will he (in a personal context & as president of the RLPA) advocate for the loss of income to all players?

8 week hiatus is 32%, so cam on his million dollar contract happily forgo $320,000.
A player on the base salary of $75k ( I believe is the base) loses 24k.

I just cannot see Cam "three contracts" Smith advocating this on a personal level or as president of the RLPA.

I'd be happy if I was proven wrong, but I just can't see him going for it. if anything those earning the top tier of contracts should forgo $$, whereas those earning the minimum should not receive a pay cut.

James Graham thinks so. I think he'd make a great advocate for players post career with the RLPA.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/03/16/graham-players-would-consider-pay-cuts-if-games-cancelled/

Graham said the players could draw inspiration from the way people in communities on the NSW South Coast supported each other after the recent bushfire devastation.

If players were required to take pay cuts, Graham suggested those earning big money would be likely to take a bigger cut than their teammates on minimum wage.

"Would everyone take the same percentage, you have got to presume not," he said. "Obviously that would affect everyone differently but this isn’t just rugby league, it is all members of society who are probably staring this in the face.

"From a player’s point of view, if there is a restructure in payment the RLPA would take over. Nothing has been discussed as yet but if we were to get there I would guess that the players would look to look after each other."

Who said anything about reducing the season, though? The competition can, and will run into November if they can to avoid reducing the amount of games played. But the 4 weeks (or however long) off gives the game time to plan. That time can also be used to work out the details of player payments etc.

As much as I like Smith, I can't honestly say if he will take a cut if needed or not - but I also couldn't say that about any NRL player. One thing is though, he knows by saying what he said in that presser he's put himself in a position where the discussion around player finances would need to be had if his advice is taken further.

moffla

Bench
The president of the RLPA. He mentioned halting the season, but didn't mention extending it, not once. It's a fair assumption to make he meant having a shortened season.
Surprised you're getting all these assumptions based on his post game quote
"If we make a decision to suspend the competition for a couple of weeks, it gives everyone an opportunity to sum up the situation a lot better rather than being reactive daily or hourly."

Why is that such a bad approach? It doesn't necessarily mean reducing the amount of games - he's just suggesting that time is taken to make the best decisions.

_Johnsy

Referee
Surprised you're getting all these assumptions based on his post game quote

Why is that such a bad approach? It doesn't necessarily mean reducing the amount of games - he's just suggesting that time is taken to make the best decisions.

All these? It was one assumption. He didn’t mention shortening the number of games played. I’m shocked that someone would assume that could mean play less games.

I didn’t say it’s a bad approach to take time to assess the situation, that’s something you have assumed. So how easy it is to be pedantic.

So when do you play the games then? In November and December when temperatures frequently break the 40 degree mark in many parts of Australia? Do you play them when the rep players are away on the Kangaroo Tour which is supposed to be in November 2020? Do you have them play 2 games in a week to make up the shortfall as some suggested the AFL do?

When you factor that in with stadium availabilities and demands from other sports, and the mandatory holiday period for all NRL players, and when the NRL contract year "ends", suspending the competition most likely does mean reducing the season if you then resume it as the logistical issues which I've touched on show how much of a nightmare it would be to do otherwise.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/a723534d7e3cc01788da9585391c6f2d

Rugby league legend Peter Sterling has claimed that Cameron Smith is no longer the game’s premier hooker.
Sterling argued that Englishman Josh Hodgson was now the best rake in the competition and had surpassed Smith in recent months.

Hodgson’s Canberra side dominated Smith’s Melbourne outfit on Saturday.

Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership. Watch every game Live & On-Demand with no-ad breaks during play. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Round 4

Who is the best hooker in the NRL? Vote in our poll below! Can’t see it? Click here.

The Green Machine’s No. 9 was on fire at AAMI Park, pulling off a signature ball steal and a 40-20.

His compatriot George Williams was named man of the match for two assists as the Raiders ran riot.

And the Hodgson-inspired performance has led Sterling to label him as the game’s best.

“All of their playmakers are playing some great football,” Sterling told WWOS.

It has begun.

JB04

Juniors
If Smith does play on next year, then where does that leave Harry Grant? Could he sign with the Tigers permanently.
Yes, there’s a clause in his contract that he’s allowed to seek a release if Smith goes around again.

As a Tigs fan, I hope to God Smith plays next year!

Although Storm have B. Smith next year for their hooking position, so if Grant goes back he wouldn’t even start. Stay with us boy!

Latest posts