What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 v Dogs

matPORTS

Juniors
That's three different full backs in the space of four games. What happened to Lomax being our number one full back for this year??

You know a coach is under pressure when major team selection changes are being made on the fly. Got to admit, in some respects it's actually quite refreshing than the usual 'cut and paste' team lists we've become accustomed to over the last six or so years.

Now that we are making week-to-week changes, are we still going to use the same 'cut and paste' game plan, or have we actually got something devised to maxmise the selections that have been made?

The Friz

Juniors
Can you believe he is still carrying Aitken on the bench while including an extra dummy half in Luke....please someone take this buffoon out the back of the leagues club and put him out of his misery like old yeller
If you take the “I hate Aitken” blinkers off, I actually thought he was really effective through the middle last week. One of the few to trouble the defence with leg speed and strength. He has a future in a role through the middle.

Kylez3

Juniors
Merrin, Lawrie and Graham all starting over Fuimaono is an absolute disgrace. I see Mary's lovechild Aitken is included again, naturally. I can't even put into words how much I despise McGregor's wretched existence.

Absolutely thrilled for Adam Clune though.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Feel a bit sorry for Cluney. On a hiding to nothing really.
Does well, coach gets the accolades
Does poorly, coach has ready made excuse.
Team wins, coach says 'Im 4 games into a 2 year contract and I'm promoting rookies....etc"
Team loses, coach says "we gave him a go but obviously he wasnt up to first grade standard....I'm 4 games into a 2 year contract, trying new things, butvwe havecto try harder next week...etc"

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
If you take the “I hate Aitken” blinkers off, I actually thought he was really effective through the middle last week. One of the few to trouble the defence with leg speed and strength. He has a future in a role through the middle.
I thought he played well too but I’d rather 4 forwards on the bench one being either Tyrell or Ford as a backup back if needed.

Dragon David

First Grade
Team wins, coach says 'Im 4 games into a 2 year contract and I'm promoting rookies....etc"
Team loses, coach says "we gave him a go but obviously he wasnt up to first grade standard....I'm 4 games into a 2 year contract, trying new things, butvwe havecto try harder next week...etc"
I hope Clune does well and the coach gives him the accolades and he keeps quiet about himself!

George Dragon

Juniors
Hooper: Matt Dufty axing proves Mary has completely lost the plot
NRL PREMIERSHIP

james_hooper.jpg

e2edd504c877ab8e680ec05d07782259

Matt Dufty has been dropped in favour of Corey Norman.Source: Getty Images
Dragons fullback Matt Dufty has been axed with Corey Norman to move to the no.1 role and rookie halfback Adam Clune to become the Red V’s newest playmaker.

The left-field move could well prove one of coach Paul McGregor’s final bizarre acts at the helm of St George Illawarra.

Over the course of the summer McGregor went public pledging young gun Zac Lomax would get first crack at being the Dragons fullback.

After training in the role for most of the off-season, Lomax was then shifted to the centres after only one match.

Matt Dufty, who has been re-signed and then told he’s free to look around with rival NRL clubs at various stages, was rushed back into the team.

There are some on the Dragons coaching staff who are huge supporters of Dufty.

McGregor is clearly not one of them because with his own head squarely on the chopping block after a lame loss to the Warriors, this has been his team shake-up

Just as concerning is the fact Norman was part of a bizarre playmaking scenario last year where Dufty was on the bench and Norman or Gareth Widdop would move from fullback to the halves and hooker Cameron McInnes would go to lock and Ben Hunt would move to hooker.

Confused? So were most of us.

Norman did not like this scenario, especially when he was starting games at fullback.

What’s just as condemning is the way no Dragons players inside the Central Coast dressing rooms last Saturday chose to speak up when offered the opportunity after being soundly squared-up by the Warriors.

Coach McGregor threw it open to the floor and not one player chose to speak up. Crickets.

The dumped fullback Dufty had forced his way back into the Dragons starting side after carving-up when a Dragons “B” team beat the “A” team in a trial a week earlier.

Dufty scored three tries in the opening half with the “B” team and then made it four when switched to the “A” team for the second half.

Isaac Luke has been included on the bench at the expense of Tyrell Fuimaino.

The changes are expected to be met with widespread criticism as McGregor clings on to his job by a thread.

A board meeting is scheduled for June 16 but if Mary can’t beat the Bulldogs with this team on Monday then the walls will begin to close in.

Only a fortnight ago McGregor stipulated he didn’t care for reputations and if players didn’t aim up the Dragons had the depth to cover for it.

Now, bizarrely, Dufty and Fuimaino are the only two players dropped from the Warriors loss.

The Red V also has a plethora of depth on its roster with young guns Jason Saab, Tristan Sailor, Jackson Ford, Jacob Host and ex-Origin and Test forward Trent Merrin.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Surely this guy is got some sort of mental issue by picking this side. I don’t like to say it like that but he has lost the plot.

True_Believer

Juniors
NRL PREMIERSHIP

james_hooper.jpg

Dragons fullback Matt Dufty has been axed with Corey Norman to move to the no.1 role and rookie halfback Adam Clune to become the Red V’s newest playmaker.

The left-field move could well prove one of coach Paul McGregor’s final bizarre acts at the helm of St George Illawarra.

Over the course of the summer McGregor went public pledging young gun Zac Lomax would get first crack at being the Dragons fullback.

After training in the role for most of the off-season, Lomax was then shifted to the centres after only one match.

Matt Dufty, who has been re-signed and then told he’s free to look around with rival NRL clubs at various stages, was rushed back into the team.

McGregor is clearly not one of them because with his own head squarely on the chopping block after a lame loss to the Warriors, this has been his team shake-up

Just as concerning is the fact Norman was part of a bizarre playmaking scenario last year where Dufty was on the bench and Norman or Gareth Widdop would move from fullback to the halves and hooker Cameron McInnes would go to lock and Ben Hunt would move to hooker.

Norman did not like this scenario, especially when he was starting games at fullback.

What’s just as condemning is the way no Dragons players inside the Central Coast dressing rooms last Saturday chose to speak up when offered the opportunity after being soundly squared-up by the Warriors.

Coach McGregor threw it open to the floor and not one player chose to speak up. Crickets.

The dumped fullback Dufty had forced his way back into the Dragons starting side after carving-up when a Dragons “B” team beat the “A” team in a trial a week earlier.

Dufty scored three tries in the opening half with the “B” team and then made it four when switched to the “A” team for the second half.

The changes are expected to be met with widespread criticism as McGregor clings on to his job by a thread.

A board meeting is scheduled for June 16 but if Mary can’t beat the Bulldogs with this team on Monday then the walls will begin to close in.

Only a fortnight ago McGregor stipulated he didn’t care for reputations and if players didn’t aim up the Dragons had the depth to cover for it.

Now, bizarrely, Dufty and Fuimaino are the only two players dropped from the Warriors loss.

The Red V also has a plethora of depth on its roster with young guns Jason Saab, Tristan Sailor, Jackson Ford, Jacob Host and ex-Origin and Test forward Trent Merrin.

Pretty poor article tbh. For a start, K Sims isn't in the team - so not sure this clown has even looked at the team list.

Secondly, that picture of him is obviously from a few years ago. Watching him on 360 I doubt a photo that size would be able to adequately fit his whole head in these days.

IF he knew anything about footy, he'd know one of our biggest holes at the moment is fullback. I think most agree that Zacs best position is centre. Dufty just isn't cutting it. Who else? Really only one option given team restrictions and he's done that. Is it right? Probably not. But at least it's trying something different. It might at least get Norman into the game.

Fui is unlucky - but like others, I thought Aitken played OK on the weekend. Good enough to keep his position on the bench at least. Luke may provide a spark up the middle as he is a better attacking option than Cam in my opinion - so bringing him on for a couple of stints might work out OK. But with both of those filling reserves, it's leaving our bench a bit light.

As I said in another post, we just need to get rid of Mary. Once that's done, we can truly assess our roster and make calls on who stays and who goes.

The Friz

Juniors
NRL PREMIERSHIP

james_hooper.jpg

Scoring tries against our first grade side being used a selection criteria is akin to taking a 5 for in the local comp and then getting a test call up.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors

DS,
I am delighted that Clune has finally got his chance and I think it is far better that he comes in when he has a good chance to make a genuine difference and to cement a place in the side rather than an odd game because of an injury. From what I saw of him in the CC last year he ran the team almost single-handedly. Who better then to thrust into the NRL team when it appears quite directionless? One of Hunt's weaknesses during his tenure has been a consistently poor kicking game. Against almost every opponent we have displayed the weaker kicking game, a real burden for the team to shoulder. Clune's short kicking game should bring a real improvement and ask more questions of the opposition. Just a pity that this commonsense selection has been accompanied by others defying logic such as the disappearance of Tyrell whose only failure against the Warriors was to stay on the bench for as long as Mary dictated.

Walpole

Juniors
Glad to see Clune get a go but how bad are we going when a debutante (rightfully) gets picked to run the team over two Origin players.

Norman at fullback is a disaster that will almost certainly happen. Lomax at least gets two games in a row in the same position but he must be wondering why he was told all pre-season he'd be at fullback.

The forwards? Well, who cares really. They certainly don't. I expect we'll get about 10-11 minutes of effort from most of them (except for McInnes who will probably make 95 tackles) and then this game will dissolve into one of the worst of all time.

Dogs 1-0 in golden point.

Vinnie

Juniors
Please i need help !!! I just can't understand ..... one of MANY major F*&$UPS last week was leaving Luke out and playing Aitken, So this week we leave out Fui out and playing both luke and aitken ????
Why Why Why
I can only assume he is going for agility and speed with these new rule changes ..... and even then i still cant agree
If someone has an answer for me please let me know.

Vinnie

Juniors
Greg Hoopers words

"The Red V also has a plethora of depth on its roster with young guns Jason Saab, Tristan Sailor, Jackson Ford, Jacob Host"

Unfortunately i'm expecting to see most of these juniors along with others carving it up at other clubs soon. Just like Garrick & Herbert & Robson. Sad but true because our retention strategy is pathetic and juniors just don't get a go at our club but we buy has beens.

So really unless things change very soon we will or i guess already are "easybeats" and lose all our juniors as well.