What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 - Storm vs Rabbitohs: Friday 5th June 7:55pm @AAMI Park

callmack1

Staff member
A very big week coming up for us as we shift our focus to the Storm on Friday night. Throughout the past twelve months, we seem to have built up a bit of a rivalry with Melbourne and there seems to be some genuine hatred in this one given everything that happened last year arounf the topic of the wrestle. I know that I've certainly found some genuine hate for the Storm so will be quite pumped up come Friday night!!

It doesn't get any easier for us heading to Melbourne to play the Storm. It's no secret thay are one hell of a side, certainly one of the best sides in the comp. Add to that the fact that they had a poor loss last week (which I don't think bodes well for us as they'll be even more fired up), and the fact that we've never won in Melbourne, and we're really up against it this week.

In saying that, I have full faith that the boys can do it!! We were quite disappointing last week too so will hopefully even more fired up to make amends! Quite excited to see how the boys rebound, as I said over the weekend, I actually don't think we're far away but we do have a lot to work on and the boys will need to lift. Once again, the forward battle is going to be the key and this is the main area we need to make better. I'd say the only forwards who weren't a bit disappointing last week were Murray, Tom and Amone. If we want to compete against a quality Storm pack, we need the likes of Tatola, Knight, Lowe and Su'a to stand up. That will make it a hell of a lot easier for guys like Reyno and Cookie to have a much better game. Hopefully we'll get Jimmy back for this one too, that'd be a big boost!

So yep, big week for us!

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Hate to sound like a wet blanket but all can say is god help us..

The Storm defeated themselves against the Raiders and i believe could have won had they held onto the ball more in the second half. Not talking away anything from the Raiders, they are a quality side.

I do have to agree with Ennis' call to shift Murray back to lock. His play the balls with Cooks speed are what our game is built on, and with the ruck the way it is we should be getting more points. Especially if speed men like Roberts and AJ can back up in support.

Tough game coming up, hopefully some of our big name players can shake off the iso hangover and can lift..
We need this one.

Travitoh

First Grade

The Storm defeated themselves against the Raiders and i believe could have won had they held onto the ball more in the second half. Not talking away anything from the Raiders, they are a quality side.

I do have to agree with Ennis' call to shift Murray back to lock. His play the balls with Cooks speed are what our game is built on, and with the ruck the way it is we should be getting more points. Especially if speed men like Roberts and AJ can back up in support.

Tough game coming up, hopefully some of our big name players can shake off the iso hangover and can lift..
We need this one.

Agree. Murray to 13 where he can be more involved. He's the best forward in the side and he's getting pushed out.

Knight to prop, Tatola to the bench and Lowe to the edge will give Souths a forward pack better suited to the current game.

If Roberts returns, i would like to see him replace AJ (who goes back to the bench) on the wing but i expect Graham would be pushed out of centre to play a wing.

That would leave a bench of Tatola, Sironen, Amone and AJ.

This is imo the best 17 going forward.

callmack1

Staff member
Agree. Murray to 13 where he can be more involved. He's the best forward in the side and he's getting pushed out.

Knight to prop, Tatola to the bench and Lowe to the edge will give Souths a forward pack better suited to the current game.

If Roberts returns, i would like to see him replace AJ (who goes back to the bench) on the wing but i expect Graham would be pushed out of centre to play a wing.

That would leave a bench of Tatola, Sironen, Amone and AJ.

This is imo the best 17 going forward.
I agree about Murray, shift him back to locl for sure with Lowe going to the left edge.

However, in my opinion, it should be Knight that goes to the bench.

big hit!

Bench

We need this one.

Ennis is not original. It's been said by fans for a while - since the first article indicating Bennett was shifting Murray in pre season. You don't cover a weakness by removing a strength. If anything, you make your strengths stronger!

It's shit to lose Inglis, Sutton, and Burgii in one season, but good recruiting needs to look 3 or 4 years ahead and ensure you have good players coming through in their prime years like all those guys were when we won the premiership in 2014. All those guys (ex George) were already >30 last season on big money and we have little coming through in the prime 23-28 year olds at the moment. Reynolds and Walker are over 30. Cook, Lowe, Gagai are 30 next year. It's going to hurt the club for several seasons until the new wave are found/come through.

callmack1

Staff member
Billy Slater urges Latrell Mitchell to watch Tom Trbojevic to master fullback role: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/billy-...ack-role/6aaf642e-513f-4bbc-be80-a126c70177a7

Here's my predicted Line Up for Round 4,

1. Mitchell
2. Gagai
3. Roberts
4. Burns
5. Graham
6. Dargan
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Su'a
12. Lowe
13. Murray

14. Johnston/Sironen
15. Knight
16. Mago
17. Amone

Perhaps this is less of a predicted side and more of a 'what I want' side. Mitchell at fullback and hopefully Jimmy is good to go which would most likely see Graham back on the left wing with AJ going to the bench. I think most of us agree that Murray should go back to lock and that's what I'd really like to see too. If that were to happen, I'd put Lowe onto the left edge (and tell him to lift his game) and Knight would move to the bench. I'd also prefer to see Nicholls dropped, Mago to come in and Amone (and potentially Sironen if Wayne doesn't want a back on the bench) to keep his spot.

How much better would that bench look?! Far more impact!! Far more balanced.

This might be wishful thinking but it's what I want to see.

callmack1

Staff member
Round 4 Line Up vs Storm: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/06/02/round-four-line-up-vs-storm/

Happy with the Line Up named considering it's sounding like that's not how the team will be come kick off. The team named is unchanged (which normally would annoy me as we need to make some tweaks), however, others on another forum claim there will be changes. I've heard that someone went to training today and Murray was training at lock with Lowe on the left edge and Knight training as an interchange player. This is fantastic news if true and hopefully that turns out to be how we take the field. Hopefully Roberts and Mago can make their returns too, we'll see how that plays out in the next couple of days.

So it's sounding like there'll hopefully be some changes which I'll be happy with!

Hellray

Juniors
I’d like to see Amone come in for Nicholls, in the second half he really showed a lot of energy and aggression. Something we will need against a big Storm pack

callmack1

Staff member
Knight Ready to Weather the Storm up Front: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/06/02/knight-ready-to-weather-the-storm-up-front/

Faster Play the Ball the Focus for Murray: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/06/02/faster-play-the-ball-the-focus-for-murray/

So now Cam says 'as far as he knows,' he'll be starting on the edge. Who knows what's going on?

Training Gallery - Round 4: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/06/02/training-gallery-round-four/

The Mole - Rabbitohs return underdone: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mole-j...nderdone/c094be7b-33ef-4fcf-8e1e-3486bb2f47b0

'He's going to be a real threat' - The penny has started to drop for Latrell Mitchell says Peter Sterling: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/latrel...sterling/fb47fdb5-3d56-473a-88ea-e99ea7202de9

callmack1

Staff member
I’d like to see Amone come in for Nicholls, in the second half he really showed a lot of energy and aggression. Something we will need against a big Storm pack
I completely agree but let's see how the boys line up on Friday night. There could be some late changes. I'm kinda hoping there will be some positive ones.

callmack1

Staff member
Breaking down Bennett with the Boys: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/06/03/breaking-down-bennett-with-the-boys/

Cook reacts to ‘great news’ for Souths: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/7244821c2ec5505c2189fb719cc68f36

Also, from Sporting News,

Damien Cook calls for end to Cameron Murray experiment as Rabbitohs seek Storm reprieve

Damien Cook insists the Rabbitohs have responded positively to their loss to rivals the Roosters at the weekend and are welcoming their next test against a defeated Melbourne Storm.

The NSW Origin and Kangaroos rake added that he'd support the return of Cameron Murray to the middle, with Wayne Bennett currently experimenting with the elusive lock playing on the left edge.

South Sydney have dropped their past two games against fellow heavyweights the Roosters and Broncos, and will face a Storm outfit eager for redemption after their telling loss to Canberra on Saturday.

Without star five-eighth Cody Walker, who remains suspended until round five, the Rabbitohs did their best to stay in the fight against the Roosters but were outclassed in attack.

However, Cook said the side's 1-2 start to the season and last Friday's loss to the premiers wasn't a cause for panic in Rabbitohs camp.

"Wayne was quite happy with a lot of things that came out of that game," Cook told Sky Sports Radio. "After the first few rounds we just tweaked a few things and felt there were some good improvements.

"I know the scoreline they got us by a few points but off a couple of kicks, so we won't take too much out of that.

"Moving forward, where we lost the game the most was probably the first 10 minutes of the first half and the first five minutes of second half is where the Roosters did their damage.

"So we wanted to start fast and that's not what we want to pride ourselves on this year too so we need to fix that straight away."

With the retirement of club stalwart Sam Burgess last year, Origin star Murray has been trusted to fill the void left by the Englishman at second-row.

However, Murray was a revelation for the Rabbitohs in his primary position at lock last season, and Cook admits he'd like to see a shift back into the middle for his Origin teammate.

"I wouldn't mind [Murray being shifted back into lock] personally just to get more time with him in the middle," Cook said.

"I've built a similar combination that I've got with Cody [Walker].. and it's similar to the one I have with Cam as well.

"We know how each other plays so a bit more time with Cam in the middle I'd definitely enjoy."

The Rabbitohs will travel down to Melbourne on Friday as they look to end a two-game losing streak against last year's semi-final opponents.

The Storm themselves perhaps guilty of now adapting to the newer rules and faster conditions, Craig Bellamy's side will be desperate to avenge last Saturday's loss to Canberra.

Cook admitted it's a tough proposition facing a Storm side out for redemption but one his side looks forward to.

"Getting Melbourne after a loss isn't the best thing," he said.

"They'll fix that right away [loss to Canberra], so it's going to be quite a clash. We almost got the win down there last time so it's going to be a tough game of footy.

"They've got some great players, Cameron Munster could be one of the most dangerous players with this new six-again rules with a fatigued defensive line."

Meanwhile, the Rabbitohs number nine suggested star centre James Roberts is likely to be given another week on the sidelines after returning to training following a brief stint in a rehabilitation centre during the coronavirus lockdown.

handyman2190

Bench
1. Johnson

3. Mitchell

13. Murray

I dunno about anyone else...but that strengthens three spots immediately.
Id like to say that does any team have the luxury of retraining a player in a spine position and losing games because of it? I know players need to be blooded especially when there are injurys, but do you weaken positions to try new players and for how long?

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs Insider - Round 4: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/06/03/rabbitohs-insider---round-4/

Great episode, really enjoyed that as there was some great insight.

Wayne Bennett switches Cameron Murray back to the middle as he prepares to face nemesis Craig Bellamy: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...4/news-story/a55a2e1d6c82fac5cde48bb21f7f6490

Yes!! It looks like our prayers are set to be answered hopefully!! That makes me very happy and I feel that with Murray at lock, Lowe on the left edge and Knight providing impact off the bench, we stand a better chance against Melbourne. This game will be all about getting over top of the opposition forward pack with fast play-the-balls and thus, creating a better momentum. If we go into this game as that report suggests, then in my opinion, it gives us a much better opportunity to play that way. A much, much better balanced pack with some real impact off the bench (especially if Koloamatangi comes in). Play with some real 'oompff' and we stand a chance!

That's if this report is true. Of course, there's a chance they could be wrong.

callmack1

Staff member
Coaches Media - Round 4: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/06/04/coaches-media-round-four/

Fantastic to have these changes confirmed and I have to applaud wayne for realising a change was needed and to have the balls to actually do it. I'm hoping it overhauls the pack a bit and overhauls our performance. I'm expecting us to put on a better show tomorrow night then. I've said a number of times the forwards are the key for this game (they usually are but more so against the Storm) and these changes, in my opinion, make it more evenly matched. The pack is just so much better balanced this way and we will know have some genuine impact off the bench. Also awesome to hear that keon will make his debut, another good change and he deserves it!

Bennett to unlock giant in bid to match Storm: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/04/bennett-to-unlock-giant-in-bid-to-match-storm/

Crossbar Challenge with Latrell: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/06/04/crossbar-challenge-with-latrell/

South Sydney hooker Damien Cook ready for battle with 'Federer' Smith: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/cook-r...er-smith/0a20d4d8-1ab2-4b1a-8806-8dd5d811d926

callmack1

Staff member
It's here!! Game Day is finally here!! The boys head down to Melbourne today for what is a massive game for both us and the Storm. You don't need me to tell you how hard it is going to be tonight. Obviously the boys won't be thinking about this but we have never won in Melbourne. Fifteen attempts, fifteen losses. Can we break that hoodoo tonight?

Some people are of the opinion that the Storm are on the slide however, I don't believe they are. Melbourne are still one of the teams to beat this year. Last week was just an off night for them and they don't have off nights two weeks in a row which makes this even more dangerous for us. We're certainly going to have to be on our game. The Storm are gonna be pumped and come out firing and we need to match that intensity and sustain it for 80 minutes.

I've said it a lot because it'll be so important but the forward battle is the key tonight. They're missing one of their best but still have a quality pack there so we're going to have to put on a much better performance through the middle. I'm very happy with Wayne's changes which will hopefully allow us to do that. The focus should be speed tonight as we really need to generate some momentum.

Finally, I feel the Storm are not going to make many errors tonight and won't give us a leg up so we need to be the same. We must complete at around 90% and our dicipline must be tight. They are also one of the best defensive teams in the comp so we'll have to find a way to break them down.

I know the boys can do it tonight! It's gonna take one hell of an effort but they can do it!! Let's slowly fire up during the day and hopefully weather the Storm tonight!!

callmack1

Staff member
The family connection Souths fans can thank for Keaon: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/06/05/the-family-connection-souths-fans-can-thank-for-koloamatangi/

Really excited for Keon's debut, proud moment for him and his family, especially being a Souths junior. Can't wait to see how he goes!

Also, big congrats to Latrell who plays his 100th NRL game tonight!!

Revealed - The stats that prove the Murray experiment wasn’t working: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...g/news-story/d0b7e17629b44747257b76140c793dda

Last edited: