What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17th TEAM

The Great Dane

First Grade
You don't really understand us Queenslanders and our beef very well. I cannot speak for everyone else from Brisbane, but I will never support the Broncos because I hate what they did to the BRL. Queenslanders are proud people and we have a long and storied rugby league history of our own that isn't given the recognition it deserves. Those of us who remember it aren't going to forget it, nor are we going to forgive those who took it away from us. Seeing the Broncos logo makes my blood boil because they connived, lied, stole and bullied every BRL club into submission by exploiting Joh's anti-pokies law. Donkeys got fat and rich by taking all the talent that was nurtured by the local competition, said they would compensate them and not play games at Lang Park at the same time as the BRL was held, then proceeded to break every one of their promises in 1988. It's no surprise that the club that set out to destroy the Brisbane competition tried the same thing on with the Sydney competition less than a decade later.

I attend QLD Cup games. There is still support there for Easts, Wynnum, Redcliffe and Ipswich. Norths have some support too. Souths do it tough these days. Bring 3 or 4 of these clubs into the NRL and not only will rugby league draw more than 40,000 spectators to games in Brisbane each week, but fumbleball and onionball will probably fizzle out of the market up here.
What you are talking about is a fantasy dripping in nostalgia. Not only is it impossible to go back to how things were before, but if we even tried it wouldn't produce the results that you are expecting/hoping for.

On top of that nobody under the age of 35 probably even actually remembers the BRL, and nobody under the age of 40 was old enough to truly build a connection to it. So it's not like there's a huge untapped fanbase just waiting for a resurrection, and with each passing generation that group that does remember and cares enough to make a difference gets smaller and smaller.

I also highly doubt that any of those QRL clubs are averaging more than 1ish thousand a game, and 40k split between 4 clubs doesn't impress me at all. It sounds like 4 small clubs with 10k averages instead of 2 bigger ones with 20k averages.

You also haven't answer my question from before, so I'll ask again, who misses out so Brisbane can have club 3 and 4?

What you are talking about is a fantasy dripping in nostalgia. Not only is it impossible to go back to how things were before, but if we even tried it wouldn't produce the results that you are expecting/hoping for.

On top of that nobody under the age of 35 probably even actually remembers the BRL, and nobody under the age of 40 was old enough to truly build a connection to it. So it's not like there's a huge untapped fanbase just waiting for a resurrection, and with each passing generation that group that does remember and cares enough to make a difference gets smaller and smaller.

I also highly doubt that any of those QRL clubs are averaging more than 1ish thousand a game, and 40k split between 4 clubs doesn't impress me at all. It sounds like 4 small clubs with 10k averages instead of 2 bigger ones with 20k averages.

You also haven't answer my question from before, so I'll ask again, who misses out so Brisbane can have club 3 and 4?
I am 35, so that makes a mockery of your theory. :cool:

I see plenty of young people at the QLD Cup games I go to, including kids.

Not all 4 teams would be playing in Brisbane each week. Two would play one week, the other two the following week.

Does Canberra deserve a team? Not that long ago it was averaging less than 9,000 people to its games and relies heavily on Logan, NZ, England and southern NSW to supply its team with quality talent to keep it competitive. If it relied on talent born and bred in Caanerra then it would be lucky to win a game. Canberrans are bandwagoners who will jumpship to onionball or fumbleball in an instant, so why bother with them when the population is under 400,000? Better putting a team in Logan or southern Brisbane so there can be more local derbies and more opportunities for Queenslanders to stay close to their families. No one wants to live in a cold dreary country town like Canberra.

I said 3 or 4 BRL clubs based would average more than 40,000 a week. Obviously they wouldn't be playing at home every week and not at the same time, so you're looking at averages in the 20.000s or even 30.000s. Canberra knows what it is like to play in front of less than 10.000 people, so if you're saying that 10k is the bare minimum number that a team must average then Canberra have failed the test. It's not how many you get during a GF run that matters, but what you average when you're in a slump. We know Canberra has about 8,000 fans who will turn up when they're at the foot of the ladder. Not enough to cut the mustard.

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
I think we have to accept nrl is not as popular/or doesn’t have the fan commitment of afl. Either way we are a long way from their attending fanbase across the board. Even on the business side, broncos have a revenue of around $56mill, Eagles $100mill.

is that true though? The Broncos are the highest rating team of any code across TV so I don't think its popularity It's a culture issue with the sport where most people would rather watch on TV than attend.

Yeah, I've talked to many a Victorian and Sydney-siders who currently live on the GC. The AFL supporters of them are more inclined to buy a GC Suns membership so that they can watch regular games of AFL regardless of which team is playing the Suns. You don't really find it that much in Rugby League circles. I don't know too many NRL supporters who would get a Broncos membership, for example, just to watch any NRL game/Sydney team playing in Brisbane that week. Far more inclined to go to the pub or buy a foxtel subscription if they want to catch regular footy.
Victorians must feel like a fish out of water living in Queensland. They wouldn't be able to strike up a conversation with a shopkeeper or fellow customer at Coles about the fumbleball as no one would be able to name a single AFL player. The only ones I remember are Roger Merritt, and Jason Dunstall. I don't think they would be playing any more. Going to the fumbleball would be their only chance to meet other fumbler fans. There wouldn't be any at the pub.

Marlins

Juniors
The Nrl should just do something crazy and bring in two Qld cup sides at the same time.

Ipswich Jets & Redcliffe Dolphins

Brisbane would go mad for it.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I am 35, so that makes a mockery of your theory. :cool:
Lol, I said nobody under the age of 35 would probably remember the BRL, you are 35 not under it you idiot.
I see plenty of young people at the QLD Cup games I go to, including kids.
That doesn't mean that they have a connection to the BRL, and I'd bet that most, if not all, have an NRL team that they hold as their favorite team above their QRL team.
Not all 4 teams would be playing in Brisbane each week. Two would play one week, the other two the following week.
If you really think that there'd be no tribalism between the 4 teams (realistically five because no matter how hard you try you aren't getting rid of the Broncos and if you even tried to it'd be a shit show) then you're delusional.

People would pick a team and stick with it, they wouldn't be going to the other clubs games on a regular basis.
Does Canberra deserve a team? Not that long ago it was averaging less than 9,000 people to its games and relies heavily on Logan, NZ, England and southern NSW to supply its team with quality talent to keep it competitive. If it relied on talent born and bred in Caanerra then it would be lucky to win a game. Canberrans are bandwagoners who will jumpship to onionball or fumbleball in an instant, so why bother with them when the population is under 400,000? Better putting a team in Logan or southern Brisbane so there can be more local derbies and more opportunities for Queenslanders to stay close to their families. No one wants to live in a cold dreary country town like Canberra.
Somebody who knows absolutely nothing about Canberra hanging shit on it, how original, never experienced that before...

Firstly, with all due respect you live in f**king Logan, you have no right to bag anywhere else.

Secondly, there's no such thing as a team made up exclusively of local juniors anymore, hasn't been for decades. If you want to be successful you have to draw talent from all over the place.

Thirdly, Canberra's population isn't under 400k, and if you add in Queanbeyan (which you should) it hasn't been for probably over a decade now.
I said 3 or 4 BRL clubs based would average more than 40,000 a week. Obviously they wouldn't be playing at home every week and not at the same time, so you're looking at averages in the 20.000s or even 30.000s. Canberra knows what it is like to play in front of less than 10.000 people, so if you're saying that 10k is the bare minimum number that a team must average then Canberra have failed the test. It's not how many you get during a GF run that matters, but what you average when you're in a slump. We know Canberra has about 8,000 fans who will turn up when they're at the foot of the ladder. Not enough to cut the mustard.
There's no way that 4 clubs in Brisbane would average 20k or even 30k, you would have split the market to much for that to be possible.

Canberra-Queanbeyan is an area with a pop under 500k, Brisbane has a pop over 2mil, what is the bare minimum is different for each.
The Raiders at there worst are probably pulling more per capita than the Broncos are, so maybe clean your own backyard before telling others how to clean theirs.

Perth Red

Post Whore
is that true though? The Broncos are the highest rating team of any code across TV so I don't think its popularity It's a culture issue with the sport where most people would rather watch on TV than attend.

When your on fta every week your figures are going to look good!

Lol, I said nobody under the age of 35 would probably remember the BRL, you are 35 not under it you idiot.
But you did say no one under the age of 40 would have a connection to it. I am 35 and watched the BRL and the QLD Cup on ABCTV as enthusiastically as the NSWRL/ARL. When I was in the backyard playing I would think of teams like Ipswich, Valleys, Redcliffe and Wynnum Manly. Whenever The Courier Mail arrived I would flick to the section that contained scores for the BRL/QLD Cup.

That doesn't mean that they have a connection to the BRL, and I'd bet that most, if not all, have an NRL team that they hold as their favorite team above their QRL team.
There are kids who chose Sydney Wests Tigers over the Broncos because they grey up playing for one of Easts Tigers sub-district clubs. Fancy that, kids basing which NRL club they support on which BRL Club they hold a connection to.
If you really think that there'd be no tribalism between the 4 teams (realistically five because no matter how hard you try you aren't getting rid of the Broncos and if you even tried to it'd be a shit show) then you're delusional.
Who said anything about no tribalism? The point about bringing in 3 or four clubs is to re-create the tribalism that was lost when the Donkeys came in.
People would pick a team and stick with it, they wouldn't be going to the other clubs games on a regular basis.
You're not stating anything that no one else didn't know.

You would be creating fans and bringing existing fans out of hibernation. There are plenty of rugby league fans in Brisbane who don't go to NRL games because they hate the Broncos. That's why their attendances are shit but TV ratings are so high.

It's a long way to travel from Moreton, Ipswich and Logan to Lang Park. Traffic grinds to a halt around the time Donkeys games are held. People only do it when it's special or if they're a die-hard fan who doesnt have serious health problems.

Somebody who knows absolutely nothing about Canberra hanging shit on it, how original, never experienced that before...
I know people from Brissie who relocated to Canberra for work. They couldn't wait to come back and told me why. Raiders have had trouble recruiting players for years because people don't want to live in the cold wilderness

Firstly, with all due respect you live in f**king Logan, you have no right to bag anywhere else.
There's that elitist attitude held by Canberrans that make them on the nose.

If you gave me a one way ticket to live in a fancy house in Canberra I would sell it and buy property in Logan. It's a no brained really. Do I want to be live in a vibrant young city that had rugby league as its main sport, plenty of parks and lots of beautiful wildlife, a wonderful climate and a 40 minute drive from the Gold Coast, or do I want to be stuck in a cold inland city that is isolated?

Canberra is exactly half way between Sydney and Melbourne. It is the very definition of isolated. No beach to drive to. No neighbouring cities of reasonable size to venture in to.

The eastern suburbs of Logan are very affluent. Plenty of millionaires like in Shailee Park and Daisy Hill. They got rich in the private sector.

Secondly, there's no such thing as a team made up exclusively of local juniors anymore, hasn't been for decades. If you want to be successful you have to draw talent from all over the place.

Cowboys are a Townsville based team that represents all of NQ from the far north to Mackay. From memory it has quite a few locals in its team. Feldt, Morgan and Holmes are superstars of the game and were all born and bred in Townsville. Jake Clifford is from Tully. Taumoloo was brought to Townsville when he was 12 or 13.

Brisbane is mainly made upbof locals. So too the Warriors.

Thirdly, Canberra's population isn't under 400k, and if you add in Queanbeyan (which you should) it hasn't been for probably over a decade now.

There's no way that 4 clubs in Brisbane would average 20k or even 30k, you would have split the market to much for that to be possible.

Canberra-Queanbeyan is an area with a pop under 500k, Brisbane has a pop over 2mil, what is the bare minimum is different for each.
Brisbane has about 1.23million, Ipswich 213,000, Logan 326,000, Redland 150,000 and Moreton Bay Region 459,000. These are all different areas and not just Brisbane. You cannot put a team in Brisbane, call it Brisbane, then tell people who live in a different city with a different culture that it represents them.

The Raiders at there worst are probably pulling more per capita than the Broncos are, so maybe clean your own backyard before telling others how to clean theirs.

That's what I am trying to do, but you're deliberately holding the game back by keeping Brisbane under-represented. What is your agenda? Are you afraid that an expanded presence in Brisbane means less talent for Canberra to poach? Fumbleball and onionball love your type because it allows them to exist in Brisbane.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brisbane cant sustain 4 big NRL clubs.
We want strong new clubs, not more diluted struggling suburban clubs. Lets see if a second one can survive before getting too far ahead lol

The Great Dane

First Grade
But you did say no one under the age of 40 would have a connection to it. I am 35 and watched the BRL and the QLD Cup on ABCTV as enthusiastically as the NSWRL/ARL. When I was in the backyard playing I would think of teams like Ipswich, Valleys, Redcliffe and Wynnum Manly. Whenever The Courier Mail arrived I would flick to the section that contained scores for the BRL/QLD Cup.
You don't have a connection to the BRL.

It's just a vaguely remembered vestige of your early childhood that you hold onto because of the nostalgia, the same nostalgia that further clouds your memories and makes you remember it through a set of deeply rose tinted glasses.
There are kids who chose Sydney Wests Tigers over the Broncos because they grey up playing for one of Easts Tigers sub-district clubs. Fancy that, kids basing which NRL club they support on which BRL Club they hold a connection to.

So they have NRL clubs that they support over their Q cup team. Cool thanks for confirming what I said.
Who said anything about no tribalism? The point about bringing in 3 or four clubs is to re-create the tribalism that was lost when the Donkeys came in.
You can't say 'hey these people will be tribal supporters of their club' and 'they'll just go to any footy that's on and that will boost all the clubs average attendance'. They're mutually exclusive ideas, you can't have it both ways!
I know people from Brissie who relocated to Canberra for work. They couldn't wait to come back and told me why. Raiders have had trouble recruiting players for years because people don't want to live in the cold wilderness

The Raiders only ever had trouble attracting players when they've had to pay overs on the cap to get them here. It's got nothing to do with the city it's self, and everything to do with certain clubs have advantages when it comes to the third party deals.
There's that elitist attitude held by Canberrans that make them on the nose.

If you gave me a one way ticket to live in a fancy house in Canberra I would sell it and buy property in Logan. It's a no brained really. Do I want to be live in a vibrant young city that had rugby league as its main sport, plenty of parks and lots of beautiful wildlife, a wonderful climate and a 40 minute drive from the Gold Coast, or do I want to be stuck in a cold inland city that is isolated?

Canberra is exactly half way between Sydney and Melbourne. It is the very definition of isolated. No beach to drive to. No neighbouring cities of reasonable size to venture in to.

The eastern suburbs of Logan are very affluent. Plenty of millionaires like in Shailee Park and Daisy Hill. They got rich in the private sector.
Are you unwell?

I mean seriously, you said Canberra's shit, then when a person from Canberra slaps back they're the one that's being elitist... Seriously that's insane.

BTW, everything you've written their is just the typical ignorant shit and I can't be bothered with it.
Cowboys are a Townsville based team that represents all of NQ from the far north to Mackay. From memory it has quite a few locals in its team. Feldt, Morgan and Holmes are superstars of the game and were all born and bred in Townsville. Jake Clifford is from Tully. Taumoloo was brought to Townsville when he was 12 or 13.

Brisbane is mainly made upbof locals. So too the Warriors.
Using that standard most of Canberra's players are local juniors as well...
That's what I am trying to do, but you're deliberately holding the game back by keeping Brisbane under-represented. What is your agenda? Are you afraid that an expanded presence in Brisbane means less talent for Canberra to poach? Fumbleball and onionball love your type because it allows them to exist in Brisbane.
I don't have the power to hold anything back in Brisbane,but let's say that we go with your ludicrously over saturated utopia in Brisbane, who misses out to make it possible?

Brisbane cant sustain 4 big NRL clubs.
We want strong new clubs, not more diluted struggling suburban clubs. Lets see if a second one can survive before getting too far ahead lol
Theb you better get rid of Canberra, NZ Warriors, Gold Coast as they struggle and draw shit crowds in one team cities. Put a line through any attempt to expand into Perth, as there's no way a team over there would average over 12,000.

greenBV4

Bench
Brisbane has about 1.23million, Ipswich 213,000, Logan 326,000, Redland 150,000 and Moreton Bay Region 459,000. These are all different areas and not just Brisbane. You cannot put a team in Brisbane, call it Brisbane, then tell people who live in a different city with a different culture that it represents them.
sorry to break it too you but whether you agree or not those are all Brisbane, a city isn't just it's CBD
Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 6.16.12 pm.png

You are basically saying Brisbane should have more clubs by because Sydney does, but Sydney has too many and you don't want to recreate that in Brisbane. If you want to watch a bunch of Brisbane clubs play each other then watch the QCup, its often regarded as the 2nd best League comp in the world.

With the Titans close by I think the right number of clubs for Brisbane is definitely 2, and like it or not the Broncos aren't going anywhere.

If I were starting a brand new comp I would have 3 SEQ (Brisbane North/South or East/West + GC) and 4 Sydney (each compass point)

You don't have a connection to the BRL.

It's just a vaguely remembered vestige of your early childhood that you hold onto because of the nostalgia, the same nostalgia that further clouds your memories and makes you remember it through a set of deeply rose tinted glasses.
I love the way you gaslight and make up shit.

I've attended more Queensland Cup matches, which is an extention of the BRL, than NRL games. I actually enjoy my time at Queensland Cup games far more than any NRL match I've ever attended. So yeah, I have a connection with the BRL. I've been to state library to research the league in the archives and watched plenty of footage of it on YouTube. I read John Barber eviscerate the Broncos in the Logan & Albert News in 1988, and I can tell you, they did some pretty shitty things.

So they have NRL clubs that they support over their Q cup team. Cool thanks for confirming what I said.
LOL

If that's your take on it then you need to work on your reading comprehension. I said kids from Brisbane chose an NRL team from an area that has no connection to them for no other reason than its mascot was the same as the one of the BRL club. Got it?

You can't say 'hey these people will be tribal supporters of their club' and 'they'll just go to any footy that's on and that will boost all the clubs average attendance'. They're mutually exclusive ideas, you can't have it both ways!
No one said they would go to all games. You're the only one who came up with the crazy idea.

The Raiders only ever had trouble attracting players when they've had to pay overs on the cap to get them here. It's got nothing to do with the city it's self, and everything to do with certain clubs have advantages when it comes to the third party deals.
You are full of shit. Canberra struggles because theres nothing out there. No one wants to live in a cold dreary place. What sort of shops are out there? You rubbish Logan, but it has the largest Ikea in the southern hemisphere and 3rd largest in the world. A team here could work with Ikea in a mutually beneficial relationship. There are shops and industries all over Logan. What does Canberra have other than its public sector? Your sponsor only went with you to spite the government.

Why do you think television networka ignore the Raiders? Small regional city that doesn't rate well across the country. You rubbish the idea of Brisbane having more than 2 teams, but have you ever thought about what the broadcasters want?

If you had 4 teams in Brisbane then most rounds would see a Brisbane team playing each game day. That's a ratings bonanza for Nine and Foxtel. You might even get Nine interested in a Saturday game if there was a Sydney vs Brisbane team on.

Who do you think pays the bills?
Are you unwell?

I mean seriously, you said Canberra's shit, then when a person from Canberra slaps back they're the one that's being elitist... Seriously that's insane.
You've been a prick from the word go about Brisbane and Sydney, telling us how many teams we can have, even though you it's none of your business. You keep scraping the bottom of the barrel for reasons to death ride proper expansion into Brisbane because you think everywhere else should have the same amount of teams, even the ones that don't play the game. When I pointed out that maybe Canberra shouldn't have a team because it's small, has a poor climate, draws shit crowds and has a poor record of producing born and bred juniors you got your knickers in a twist.

Why are you even in these threads?

What business is it of yours how many teams are in Brisbane?

Just admit it, you're worried that talentless Canberra won't be able to raid Queensland at all if Brisbane has 3 or 4 sides. Canberra would go back to being also rans drawing 9,000 people to their games.
BTW, everything you've written their is just the typical ignorant shit and I can't be bothered with it.

Pot.
Kettle.
Black.

Using that standard most of Canberra's players are local juniors as well...
Name these players that were born and bred in Canberra.

Name players that were brought to Canberra at 12 with their entire families.

I don't have the power to hold anything back in Brisbane,but let's say that we go with your ludicrously over saturated utopia in Brisbane, who misses out to make it possible?
Gold Coast and Canberra provide nothing to the television rights, so let's get rid of them. Donkeys can be starved out of existence by the BRL clubs no longer giving them access to their juniors. How do you think the Donkeys will compete without any talent?

Put a team in Logan/Ipswich or South Brisbane with ties to Logan and Ipswich and another that merges Wests, Norths, Easts and Souths, bring in a Dolphins/Falcons type team and suddenly the Donkeys are just like your mob.

Last edited:
sorry to break it too you but whether you agree or not those are all Brisbane, a city isn't just it's CBD
View attachment 38726

You are basically saying Brisbane should have more clubs by because Sydney does, but Sydney has too many and you don't want to recreate that in Brisbane. If you want to watch a bunch of Brisbane clubs play each other then watch the QCup, its often regarded as the 2nd best League comp in the world.

With the Titans close by I think the right number of clubs for Brisbane is definitely 2, and like it or not the Broncos aren't going anywhere.

If I were starting a brand new comp I would have 3 SEQ (Brisbane North/South or East/West + GC) and 4 Sydney (each compass point)
Brisbane ain't like all the other capitals. It amalgamated all of its LGAs in the early 20th century to create one big city. The surrounding cities are to Brisbane what Central Coast is to Sydney. Thr only time Logan and Redland are lumped in with Brisbane is for statistical purposes due to their close proximity. But other than that there are cultural differences that are unique to each city.

I used to think Sydney had too many teams, but now I think they have it about right.

MugaB

Coach

I've attended more Queensland Cup matches, which is an extention of the BRL, than NRL games. I actually enjoy my time at Queensland Cup games far more than any NRL match I've ever attended. So yeah, I have a connection with the BRL. I've been to state library to research the league in the archives and watched plenty of footage of it on YouTube. I read John Barber eviscerate the Broncos in the Logan & Albert News in 1988, and I can tell you, they did some pretty shitty things.

LOL

If that's your take on it then you need to work on your reading comprehension. I said kids from Brisbane chose an NRL team from an area that has no connection to them for no other reason than its mascot was the same as the one of the BRL club. Got it?

No one said they would go to all games. You're the only one who came up with the crazy idea.

You are full of shit. Canberra struggles because theres nothing out there. No one wants to live in a cold dreary place. What sort of shops are out there? You rubbish Logan, but it has the largest Ikea in the southern hemisphere and 3rd largest in the world. A team here could work with Ikea in a mutually beneficial relationship. There are shops and industries all over Logan. What does Canberra have other than its public sector? Your sponsor only went with you to spite the government.

Why do you think television networka ignore the Raiders? Small regional city that doesn't rate well across the country. You rubbish the idea of Brisbane having more than 2 teams, but have you ever thought about what the broadcasters want?

If you had 4 teams in Brisbane then most rounds would see a Brisbane team playing each game day. That's a ratings bonanza for Nine and Foxtel. You might even get Nine interested in a Saturday game if there was a Sydney vs Brisbane team on.

You've been a prick from the word go about Brisbane and Sydney, telling us how many teams we can have, even though you it's none of your business. You keep scraping the bottom of the barrel for reasons to death ride proper expansion into Brisbane because you think everywhere else should have the same amount of teams, even the ones that don't play the game. When I pointed out that maybe Canberra shouldn't have a team because it's small, has a poor climate, draws shit crowds and has a poor record of producing born and bred juniors you got your knickers in a twist.

Just admit it, you're worried that talentless Canberra won't be able to raid Queensland at all if Brisbane has 3 or 4 sides. Canberra would go back to being also rans drawing 9,000 people to their games.

Pot.
Kettle.
Black.

Gold Coast and Canberra provide nothing to the television rights, so let's get rid of them. Donkeys can be starved out of existence by the BRL clubs no longer giving them access to their juniors. How do you think the Donkeys will compete without any talent?

Put a team in Logan/Ipswich or South Brisbane with ties to Logan and Ipswich and another that merges Wests, Norths, Easts and Souths, bring in a Dolphins/Falcons type team and suddenly the Donkeys are just like your mob.
Ignore button is useful for pricks, i got over the bickering and constant knitpicking quoting from the great pane, there is a different breed living in Australia's capital,
But i agree 4 teams in Brisbane can be done,
Redcliffe/sunshine coast bid, Brisbane Bronx, Ipswich/western corridor bid, and Easts Firehawks bid. Gold coast should start servicing the northern rivers area moreso.
But only adding those amount of teams gradually over the next 20+ years, whenever adding"either WA/SA/NZ2, or even CC if sydney teams fall over

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
You don't really know what gaslighting means do you...

I didn't gaslight you, I psychoanalysed you.
I only 'rubbished' Logan (I didn't even really do that) because you 'rubbished' Canberra. You can't slap somebody then complain when they slap back.

That's not what would happen though.

What would happen is what's happened in Sydney. The market would be over saturated and you'd end up with one or two big clubs and the rest would be small clubs that can't compete with the big ones.

In other words you'd get one big rater/draw (probably the Broncos because they are better established), and three small weak clubs that would struggle to out draw clubs from markets a quarter their size.
Questioning your ideas is not being a prick, it's either trying to understand you or your ideas, or it's trying to show you where you've got bad ideas.

The person who started people being pricks was you, and as I said before you can't slap somebody then complain when they slap back.

This sub-forum isn't just about expansion in Brisbane, it's about expansion in general, and what you are suggesting would realistically destroy any chance there is for most expansion cities that are just as important, if not more important in some cases, than Brisbane.

Which brings me back to my question; who should miss out so Brisbane can have team 3 and 4?

Just in the NRL side or in the whole Raiders system?

Just in the NRL side you have at least Croker, Wighton, Cotric, Papalii, Williams, Kris, Niko, Smith-Shields, Frawley, and probably a few more that I'm forgetting or don't know about.
On top of that you've got roughly 20 or so more Canberra juniors running around in the NRL and some more on top of that over in England.

That is probably very close to the least juniors that a Raiders side has ever had in it though, but these day to be competitive you have to draw players from everywhere. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I'm not sure what Canberra's juniors has to do with anything though...

You don't really know what gaslighting means do you...

I didn't gaslight you, I psychoanalysed you.
You're gaslighting again.

I only 'rubbished' Logan (I didn't even really do that) because you 'rubbished' Canberra. You can't slap somebody then complain when they slap back.
I responded to your petty name calling and erratic double standards by treating Canberra with the same scrutiny you're putting every Brisbane bid through. You don't like it because my criticism about Canberra is spot on.

That's not what would happen though.

What would happen is what's happened in Sydney. The market would be over saturated and you'd end up with one or two big clubs and the rest would be small clubs that can't compete with the big ones.

In other words you'd get one big rater/draw (probably the Broncos because they are better established), and three small weak clubs that would struggle to out draw clubs from markets a quarter their size.
There are four game days each round, one team in Brisbane. It's well known Queenslanders are tribal and tune in more often when a local team plays. Put three or four teams in Brisbane that have an established connection and history with the area that dates back to 1909 and you will see support. If you don't agree then fine, I don't need to convince you as you're from Canberra.

Questioning your ideas is not being a prick, it's either trying to understand you or your ideas, or it's trying to show you where you've got bad ideas.

The person who started people being pricks was you, and as I said before you can't slap somebody then complain when they slap back.

You started calling my posts 'nonsense', called me 'stupid', put words in my mouth so you could go on about something that was never said. That's being a prick.

This sub-forum isn't just about expansion in Brisbane, it's about expansion in general, and what you are suggesting would realistically destroy any chance there is for most expansion cities that are just as important, if not more important in some cases, than Brisbane.
Name one expansion city more important than Brisbane.

Perth is never going to draw the crowds, ratings or juniors that Brisbane provides. Melbourne has failed in every facet, despite having the most successful team in the history of the game. Auckland is Brisbane's size and can barely support one team. Every other city in NZ is the size of Canberra. Why doesn't Perth Red call out the "Sporting Capital of the World" for their shit crowds, ratings and lack of development?

Which brings me back to my question; who should miss out so Brisbane can have team 3 and 4?

Asked and answered a week ago. Broncos and Titans out, Devils, Dolphins and Seagulls in. Could even add Perth to make it an 18 team competition or get rid of the Raiders as they provide nothing.

Just in the NRL side or in the whole Raiders system?

Just in the NRL side you have at least Croker, Wighton, Cotric, Papalii, Williams, Kris, Niko, Smith-Shields, Frawley, and probably a few more that I'm forgetting or don't know about.
On top of that you've got roughly 20 or so more Canberra juniors running around in the NRL and some more on top of that over in England.

That is probably very close to the least juniors that a Raiders side has ever had in it though, but these day to be competitive you have to draw players from everywhere. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

I'm not sure what Canberra's juniors has to do with anything though...
Josh Papali is from Logan.

Last edited:
Ignore button is useful for pricks, i got over the bickering and constant knitpicking quoting from the great pane, there is a different breed living in Australia's capital,
I think they watch too much Question Time in the ACT and think that's how normal people talk.
But i agree 4 teams in Brisbane can be done,
Redcliffe/sunshine coast bid, Brisbane Bronx, Ipswich/western corridor bid, and Easts Firehawks bid. Gold coast should start servicing the northern rivers area moreso.
But only adding those amount of teams gradually over the next 20+ years, whenever adding"either WA/SA/NZ2, or even CC if sydney teams fall over
The great thigh about four teams is it adds value to the broadcast rights. The NRL could even look at splitting the NRL into northern and southern conferences. If 16 teams in comp then 2 conferences of 8 teams, 14 rounds. Premiers play against each other to determine National champion. Then top four from each conference play each other over 14 rounds. Top four play for a spot in the grand final. The English Super League play far longer seasons than us and they do okay. The extra rounds will make the broadcast righta worth more to Foxtel and FTA.

Dolphins wouldn't disappoint if they were first in line to get the nod. They can service a large population that is a fair distance from Brisbane. With Brisbane City Council getting bigger and busier it is making it harder and more expensive to move around the city, especially at night. Areas like Moreton find it even tougher getting in and out. I would love to see Easts and Wynnum form a joint bid to service the eastern side of greater Brisbane within 10-15 years of the Dolphins getting in. Ipswich is one for the future, maybe in 30 years time when the population is bigger.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Theb you better get rid of Canberra, NZ Warriors, Gold Coast as they struggle and draw shit crowds in one team cities. Put a line through any attempt to expand into Perth, as there's no way a team over there would average over 12,000.

If they werent already here and we were considering where to put a new club you might have an argument, but thats not the scenario.
To play devils advocate
GC has a historic higher crowd avg than a third of the comp
NRL needs RL as strong as possible in NZ
Canberra are cash rich with their LC's
Melbourne are one of the best supported clubs in the comp and one of the most watched on TV

Brisbane2 isnt expansion, its consolidation in the games heartland. the only three real expansion areas the game has are Perth, Adelaide and NZ2

A new Brisbane club has to be big enough to compete with big brother or they will be dead in the water for years. Thats why I prefer the Bombers bid as sht as the name is. A new club is going to need a very rich and powerful board with connections in Brisbane, not a suburban LC operation who will struggle to bring in the $30mill a year theyre going to need.

Hope fully a successful Brisbane club coming in will give the impetus for the NRL to prepare for the 18th club we really need to expand the game, in Perth.

Hopefully one day we would see a 20 team comp, every team play each other once plus 2 magic weekend fixtures for a 21 round season. That should be our long term vision for the top tier comp.

If they werent already here and we were considering where to put a new club you might have an argument, but thats not the scenario.
To play devils advocate
GC has a historic higher crowd avg than a third of the comp
I don't know if I can trust the attendance figures that are published regarding Titans, Suns and Giants games. All I see is empty seats. I've been to a few Titans games and I was always amazed at how few supporters they had turn up to support them. They don't have a Leagues Club to keep them afloat and there is no reason for people to not support them. Great stadium asd climate, free public transportd and easy to access. I've never turned my back on the teams I support when they are going through a rough patch. Fans just don't turn on their club's if they care.

I liked the suggestion of elevating the Burleigh Bears into the big league to replace the Titans. Burleigh is close to Robina so it could very well work out as the club is established with the community. But Burleigh are not as well supported as the BRL clubs like Wynnum and Easts or Valleys.

I am not convinced professional sport can work on the Gold Coast. That's just my honest opinion, but it's based on 30 years of seeing no professional sports team survive there. There is a general laid back apathy on the Gold Coast that makes it different from other places.

NRL needs RL as strong as possible in NZ
Yes, but it's smaller than Queensland and not as affluent. A second team there will not drive up the price of broadcast rights and I don't know if it would be financially viable. Auckland is the only city of considerable size and it isn't screaming out for a second team.
Canberra are cash rich with their LC's
So is Brisbane.
A joint venture between Wynnum and Easts servicing the east from Brisbane through Redland, Logan and Gold Coast would be able to pool resources from thr two massive Leagues Clubs that are at Manly West and Coorparoo. You want to know how powerful Easts Leagues are? A few years ago they signed a deal to manage the ailing Donkeys Leagues Club. East Coast Seagulls, if ie came into existence, could very well become the largest rugby league club in the world. I thought that's the sort of thing you wanted? It could split games between Lang Park and Robina Stadium until a new ground is built at Nathan.
Melbourne are one of the best supported clubs in the comp and one of the most watched on TV

Melbourne calls itself the sporting capital of the world. If that's true then why don't they sell out Melbourne Rectangular Stadium and produce their own players? There hasn't ben a more successful team in Australian sport during the modern era in terms onfield success. They should be doing better off the field.
Brisbane2 isnt expansion, its consolidation in the games heartland.
Brisbane had an entire competition of its own raped and plundered into extinction by shifty people who used Queensland's anti-poker machine laws to their benefit. Imagine if that happened to your league back home in England? How would that make you feel? Do you even know the history of the BRL? Its clubs didn't have the luxury of collecting money from poker machines because the Joh Bjelke-Pietersen government banned them. He was a religious nut. Sydney clubs had pokies, so they had more money. Ken Arthurson and John Quayle took advantage of this to add the Donkeys, ignoring a consortium from the QRL. The Donkeys agreed to financially compensate the BRL clubs for lost revenues, but never paid up. They also agreed to not lplay any home games at 3pm on Sunday as that was when all BRL games kicked off. They broke this promise during their first season. BRL clubs closest to Donkeys went broke. Donkeys could have bailed them out, but didn't.

I thought Arthurson and Quayle were quite hypocritical during the Super League fiasco. They wanted to rationalise Sydney duringe the 80s and didn't think twice about killing 80 years of history in Brisbane, but carried on about the importance of history and tradition when their competition was under threat.

I hope you now understand why I will never support the Donkeys and why I am bitter against them. There are other people up here who feel the same way. Some of us are young. I believe there is a large rugby league community up here who learned about the Donkeys ill deeds from their parents and grandparents and want nothing to do with them. I often hear people up here say their favourite team is whoever is playing the Broncos. They're never going to go to a Donkeys game, but if you create a couple more teams they will support them.
the only three real expansion areas the game has are Perth, Adelaide and NZ2
There's no interest in Adelaide. NZ2 is unsustainable and has no location for it. Perth has a bid and would draw 12,000 and open up a new time slot. I would like to see them in, but are they via ale long term? Will the other clubs say no to travellaing cross the country?
A new Brisbane club has to be big enough to compete with big brother or they will be dead in the water for years. Thats why I prefer the Bombers bid as sht as the name is. A new club is going to need a very rich and powerful board with connections in Brisbane, not a suburban LC operation who will struggle to bring in the $30mill a year theyre going to need.
Bombers won't work. There's no difference between them and Donkeys and their brand is shit.

My big concern is population density. It's getting harder to move from ob3 part or Brisbane to the other as there are so many people here now compared to 24 years ago. Getting to and from Lang Park is no small feat any more and is rather a headache. I think a team in the east/south/Gold Coast, one north in Moreton and one at Lang Park would be better. It would take the game to the people and crowds would improve as a result. That's 3 teams in total.

Broncos' Achilles heel is they don't have any junior clubs of their own. Say Wests, Norths, Easts and Souths amalgamated to become the Brisbane Devils then the Donkeys would be without the senior and junior clubs that are affiliated with these areas. At least three of them would have Leagues Clubs to pool money from and their brand would be seen all over Brisbane. Give it time and the Broncos would become little brother. I know you don't think it's possible, but people from Brisbane will remember which junior club they played for and have an emotional connection to it. Their parents and grandparents will have supported a BRL club. Support is often passed down from generation to generation.

Hope fully a successful Brisbane club coming in will give the impetus for the NRL to prepare for the 18th club we really need to expand the game, in Perth.

Hopefully one day we would see a 20 team comp, every team play each other once plus 2 magic weekend fixtures for a 21 round season. That should be our long term vision for the top tier comp.
Broadcasters would pay less money for that.

The only expansion area I can see being realistic outside of Brisbane and Sydney is Perth. I would love to have 4 NZ clubs, but I just cannot see where they would get corporate support from. Brisbane2 and Brisbane3 will easily get sponsors on board.

Last edited: