What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Not being able to pay the coach out is hogwash.

A- st George leagues has a load of cash in the bank.
B- Gordon is worth so much that a former lawyer for the corporation skimmed him for 10 million just last year and he doesn’t seem like he felt that in the pocket.

I think this line being trotted out is a cover up of CCP proportions. The BOD don’t want to look like the dickheads they are so let’s just use the line of finance and
Hopefully it will all go away.

And yes millward might be part of the problem but the players aren’t wanting to be out there or play so how does anyone want to blame him for on field performance. For Christ sake our best player has told us indirectly by signing with the knights that he has zero confidence in Mcfwit being a coach

Puff

First Grade
Not being able to pay the coach out is hogwash.

A- st George leagues has a load of cash in the bank.
B- Gordon is worth so much that a former lawyer for the corporation skimmed him for 10 million just last year and he doesn’t seem like he felt that in the pocket.

I think this line being trotted out is a cover up of CCP proportions. The BOD don’t want to look like the dickheads they are so let’s just use the line of finance and
Hopefully it will all go away.

And yes millward might be part of the problem but the players aren’t wanting to be out there or play so how does anyone want to blame him for on field performance. For Christ sake our best player has told us indirectly by signing with the knights that he has zero confidence in Mcfwit being a coach

Mary is bad. But Millward is also epic bad. He failed in aus as a coach, then failed eng. Then was employed in possibly the second most important role at the club. I don’t think they got past his last name on the resume before hiring him. And there is a little part of the problem.

getsmarty

Immortal
Mary is bad. But Millward is also epic bad. He failed in aus as a coach, then failed eng. Then was employed in possibly the second most important role at the club. I don’t think they got past his last name on the resume before hiring him. And there is a little part of the problem.

The whole place needs a broom put through it....unfortunately that is not going to happen.

That was the argument on Fox.

The pro-Millward camp said he’s done his job and captured elite players.

They argue that they are then surrendered to Mary and become cactus.

The anti-Millward camp says that the players recruited should have been resilient and skill full enough to cope with Mary and he’s bought fizzers. Players that haven’t delivered.

I had a red hot go at him for losing Friz and his atrocious pr job afterwards but I’ve chilled out a bit.

At the end of the day, I’m in the middle of the argument. He’s signed some great players but they aren’t going to well. Mary and his antics plus all the circus performers have to accept the key blame because at the core, most of the players are capable.

I will give him a 5 out of 10. I will blame his losing Friz public relations disaster on the obscene pressure he was under to explain the lost player of the season.

Anybody who saw it, knew he was struggling. He was tasked with selling a mouldy sandwich.

I thought the buck stopped with Mary. His main comment has been

“ I hope he changes his mind”

Leadership lol.

In terms of Millsys post Mary contribution, I just don’t know. Right now, after the Suli 80% overs and failing catastrophe, he’d have to be at least looking to be heading out the door. It’s his job to procure good players at a sensible price.. He misses out and the club is humiliated in the process. That was not to plan. So his close, but I’d give him a few months compassion to see if he can deliver.

Without the albatross, he could be quite good. His past signings suggest that.

I’d flip a coin and be confident with either outcome. But if he draws “ keep him” he’s back on a 3 month probationary period, pay cut and incentive contract!

Last edited:

LINESPEED

Juniors
Favours and old mates act

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F8605b809-f416-477e-b0f1-bd9a0d9ed40a

Graham's assertions about McFail and the players
reveal a player who's had one head knock too many.

Why didn't he speak up in The Shed?
The so-called Captain was also lost for words?

Why?
Because the effort, result & silence
spoke volumes

Walk Waterboy
And apologise to the fans on your way out

You're done & dusted
As the stats have told you
Unspun!

ChocOConnor

Juniors
I just felt sick in the stomach reading the telegraph. If I knew how to post the item I would. Can you believe they signed this imbecile cause they thought he was being poached by another club. And someone at the club confirmed this apparently.

Then it goes on about how rich the Gordons are and how much saints leagues has and what it’s worth so like I said it is hogwash of CCP spin. The writer said combined both make them one of the most powerful entities financially.

Bring in president Xi or whatever his name is to blame something else now

qld redvee

Juniors
It would be interesting to see what wages we have been paying for all these so called advisers to our beloved supercoach to assist him . they probably add up to a sizeable chunk which if we didnt have would probably enable a pay out to supercoach..
Grahams remarks are remarkable once again saying supercoach is so bloody good and we owe him ...
well James if he is so bloody good why are we sitting where we are ? and if he is so bloody good WHY do we year after year sack and turnover staff or have to get motivational staff to assist ??????
James how about you have a go for us bloody supporters you owe us big time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

matPORTS

Juniors
I just felt sick in the stomach reading the telegraph. If I knew how to post the item I would. Can you believe they signed this imbecile cause they thought he was being poached by another club. And someone at the club confirmed this apparently.

Then it goes on about how rich the Gordons are and how much saints leagues has and what it’s worth so like I said it is hogwash of CCP spin. The writer said combined both make them one of the most powerful entities financially.

Bring in president Xi or whatever his name is to blame something else now

I heard (albeit can't fully confirm) that all players and staff were remained on full pay and benefits during the COVID shut down period. I can't recall exactly where or who it was... but I do remember hearing/reading that "this was one of the benefits of the club being privatised (or at least partly so)".

Clearly the Illawarra side of the JV is in charge of the spin doctoring. The spin doctor in charge is a clear genius given the artificial rumour seemingly created that Mary was being poached and we had to act.

Unbelievable !

qld redvee

Juniors
2nd rant guys - (sorry)
Graham also says supercoach is a dragon through and through ( or words to that event)
so Me macgregor Ive a question for you - If you indeed always want to do the right thing by this club as you love them --- THEN why cant you realise that you cant achieve the results that the club and board deserve ( lets say our history) so tender your resignation by saying I cant get the results this great club deserves.. You would actually go out with dignity
BUT you are so arrogant you are delusional and wont accept any responsability but keep blaming everyone else
YOUR QUOTES
1) its the team I want ( mentioned every year for the last couple)
2) presser after warriors - IVE now got good staff
3) presser after warriors - IVE made good changes
4) presser after warriors - I believe in this team

So as we are failing ( again) it must be you ...my friend ..... go and type out your resignation letter to the board and accept a different job doing something more appropriate for the club you love

George Dragon

Juniors
NRL 2020: Why Dragons re-signed Paul McGregor on two-year deal
Brent Read, The Australian
June 3, 2020 6:18pm

St George Illawarra powerbrokers were under the impression that another club had their eyes on Paul McGregor when they signed their coach to a two-year contract extension at the start of last season.
The Dragons have been heavily criticised for striking a two-year deal worth upwards of $1.3 million with McGregor at a time when many would have you believe they were competing against themselves for his signature.
However, sources close to the talks told News Corp that the Dragons were of the belief that another offer was on the table for McGregor — something they subsequently had confirmed by a third party.

Wary of losing their coach and having considered potential alternatives such as Anthony Griffin, Tim Sheens, Justin Holbrook, Craig Fitzgibbon, Jason Ryles and Adam O’Brien, they opted to keep the faith with McGregor when they signed him to a contract extension in April last year.
That decision is now under the microscope as the club attempts to negotiate a poor start to the year — they have lost three games to open the season culminating in a woeful performance against the Warriors last weekend.
The only clubs with any uncertainty around their coaching positions at the start of the 2019 season were Parramatta, Newcastle and the Gold Coast. The Australian understands McGregor was never mentioned in relation to the Titans job.

The Eels ultimately re-signed Brad Arthur a decision that has been vindicated by the way Parramatta played last year and have opened this season. Newcastle went with former Melbourne and Sydney Roosters assistant Adam O’Brien, who has presided over an undefeated start to the 2020 season.
The Dragons, meanwhile, languish near the foot of the ladder, prompting speculation that McGregor could lose his job if the club can’t find a way to start winning games.
There has been much discussion around whether the Dragons can afford to sack McGregor, but the more prevalent question is whether they have the appetite to payout their coach.
Money is not necessarily an issue for the joint venture. Media magnate Bruce Gordon’s WIN Corporation own 50 per cent of the club, having bought out the Illawarra share of the Dragons last year.

Gordon alone is worth more than $700 million. The other half of the Dragons is owned by St George Leagues Club, who like Gordon invested $500,000 in the club last year to help meet costs.
The leagues club’s financial report at the end of last season indicated they had more than $19 million in cash. Combined, the two entities make the Dragons one of the most financially muscular sides in the NRL.
Yet there seems a genuine reluctance to expend money, that thriftiness apparently extending to the coaching position. The Dragons would have no shortage of alternatives led by Sydney Roosters assistant Craig Fitzgibbon and Melbourne assistant Jason Ryles, two men who have an affinity to the club after playing for the Dragons.

Ryles has an agreement in place to join Eddie Jones on the staff of England rugby union at the end of the year but it is hard to envisage the former frontrower turning his back on an NRL head coaching job should one arise.
Outside Ryles and Fitzgibbon, the likes of Anthony Griffin, Trent Barrett, Todd Payten, Nathan Brown and potentially Brad Fittler loom as candidates for any vacant positions that become available.

St George Illawarra powerbrokers were under the impression that another club had their eyes on Paul McGregor when they signed their coach to a two-year contract extension at the start of last season.
The Dragons have been heavily criticised for striking a two-year deal worth upwards of $1.3 million with McGregor at a time when many would have you believe they were competing against themselves for his signature.
However, sources close to the talks told News Corp that the Dragons were of the belief that another offer was on the table for McGregor — something they subsequently had confirmed by a third party.

Wary of losing their coach and having considered potential alternatives such as Anthony Griffin, Tim Sheens, Justin Holbrook, Craig Fitzgibbon, Jason Ryles and Adam O’Brien, they opted to keep the faith with McGregor when they signed him to a contract extension in April last year.
That decision is now under the microscope as the club attempts to negotiate a poor start to the year — they have lost three games to open the season culminating in a woeful performance against the Warriors last weekend.
The only clubs with any uncertainty around their coaching positions at the start of the 2019 season were Parramatta, Newcastle and the Gold Coast. The Australian understands McGregor was never mentioned in relation to the Titans job.

The Eels ultimately re-signed Brad Arthur a decision that has been vindicated by the way Parramatta played last year and have opened this season. Newcastle went with former Melbourne and Sydney Roosters assistant Adam O’Brien, who has presided over an undefeated start to the 2020 season.
The Dragons, meanwhile, languish near the foot of the ladder, prompting speculation that McGregor could lose his job if the club can’t find a way to start winning games.
There has been much discussion around whether the Dragons can afford to sack McGregor, but the more prevalent question is whether they have the appetite to payout their coach.
Money is not necessarily an issue for the joint venture. Media magnate Bruce Gordon’s WIN Corporation own 50 per cent of the club, having bought out the Illawarra share of the Dragons last year.

Gordon alone is worth more than $700 million. The other half of the Dragons is owned by St George Leagues Club, who like Gordon invested $500,000 in the club last year to help meet costs.
The leagues club’s financial report at the end of last season indicated they had more than $19 million in cash. Combined, the two entities make the Dragons one of the most financially muscular sides in the NRL.
Yet there seems a genuine reluctance to expend money, that thriftiness apparently extending to the coaching position. The Dragons would have no shortage of alternatives led by Sydney Roosters assistant Craig Fitzgibbon and Melbourne assistant Jason Ryles, two men who have an affinity to the club after playing for the Dragons.

Ryles has an agreement in place to join Eddie Jones on the staff of England rugby union at the end of the year but it is hard to envisage the former frontrower turning his back on an NRL head coaching job should one arise.
Outside Ryles and Fitzgibbon, the likes of Anthony Griffin, Trent Barrett, Todd Payten, Nathan Brown and potentially Brad Fittler loom as candidates for any vacant positions that become available.

That the titans were never interested in him says something.

You do know that the conduct of the BOD would be a corporate crime. ASIC should look into the way this board has run this club and it should be a criminal charge to have signed the knucklehead.

Hooper said they left it to bj (maybe to avoid push back like now).

But to turn away O’Brien is shocking. Negligent at best.

Fittler in the mix is interesting.

This mystery club seeking his services last year...Dapto or Albion Park Rail Reptiles.

Whoever they were are breathing a sigh of relief.

BLM01

First Grade

The board assumed someone was interest in him did they.
So a phantom deal orchestarted by Mary's smart manager tells our gullible BOD that someone was interested in our Mc0. They bite and say geez..we better quickly sign him without doing due diligence..except they ask a 3rd party to check it out. Probably asked Mc0's wife to confirm it.
Not surprised actually.
But what a load of cods wollop article in respect to avaialble coaches
And why are any candidates better that have a prior affiliation with the club.

Are these guys blind...None of those candidates are worth lookin at except Fitzy. if we are fed dinkum.
Ryles..dont fall for it just because Bellamy is the boss..does not necessary translate to a gold coach
Griffin punted twice
Barrett ...Manly ring a bell
Payten relatively inexperienced as an assitant thus far
Brown..been there done that...Newcastle players saw the light
Fittler....no thx..

What about Toovey

BLM01

First Grade
Hooper said they left it to bj (maybe to avoid push back like now).

But to turn away O’Brien is shocking. Negligent at best.

Fittler in the mix is interesting.

This mystery club seeking his services last year...Dapto or Albion Park Rail Reptiles.

Whoever they were are breathing a sigh of relief.
Another furfy..BJ may have recommended it
Easy fall guy to put out there now..he's trotted back to Dunedoo
So now we are led to believe that the BOD let BJ sign Mcgregor on his own without seeing the contract and did not vote or sign off on it...yeah right..it was all BJ's fault..he set the term, salary and conditions..no one else knew anything about it.
Never would happen at any or even a park football club...yet it is our BOD we are talking about.
But because someone leaks that excuse to the media...they run with it.

Another furfy..BJ may have recommended it
Easy fall guy to put out there now..he's trotted back to Dunedoo
So now we are led to believe that the BOD let BJ sign Mcgregor on his own without seeing the contract and did not vote or sign off on it...yeah right..it was all BJ's fault..he set the term, salary and conditions..no one else knew anything about it.
Never would happen at any or even a park football club...yet it is our BOD we are talking about.
But because someone leaks that excuse to the media...they run with it.

Yes that was my first thought too. I might ask him to explain next “ hoops” open forum.

But he’s been tearing Mary apart all the same.

The selection of the blade may be wrong, but if it’s doing the job, it’s doing the job.

Marys been humiliated and defiled every day since what I call the judgment game.

Most of the public think he’s a muppet of the first order.

Even to be seen with him on a voluntarily basis is embarrassing.

But my call to arms was to keep the faith and not let the sporting media become distracted by something palatable.

Each bright and happy morning should bring with it as much pain and suffering to the Mary Elite as is possible.

No media coverage of his junket yet. Club comes second last and he’s abandoned everyone and headed off overseas having the time of his life. Then comes home with his souvenir footprints and rookies again crap.

He forgot the meaning of the season.

The worst in living memory. He bloody forgot it.

That might have pleased bj and the board but....

No fan or member deserves that.

Latest posts