What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best and worst biffers

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Best: Gordon Tallis on Ben Ross. The Bull rarely missed and he certainly didn't here:

Worst has to be Jason "never heard of the f**ker" Smith, who clearly couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat:

Best - Tom Raudonikis, Ian Roberts, Les Davidson, Peter Kelly, Steve Bowden, Paul Harragon, Kevin Campion, Paul Gallen, Mario Fenech, Ray Price.

Kevin Tamati n Greg Dowling - best all time fight for mine..at Lang Park.

Worst - everyone at the MCG State of Origin in 1995. Many people rate that as a classic origin brawl.. but to me its embarrassing. Everyone knew it was coming before the match, so you’d think Channel 9 would be clued in on the likes of Harragon etc when it kicked off... yet nothing of the props who could throw em... it was Moore v Barnhill, wingers, and absolute nuffies throwing handbags at each other, and still missing!

I cringe any time it comes up..

David Furner knocked the f**k out of Shane Webcke and was the Canberra gym champion when he was coaching the club

He could throw them.
He has genuinely been acknowledged as the best fighter/boxer in the Australian rugby league community. I've only seen him throw them once and he had seriously good form.
Another one who was very good, believe it or not, was Scott Prince.

He has genuinely been acknowledged as the best fighter/boxer in the Australian rugby league community. I've only seen him throw them once and he had seriously good form.

Yes I’ve heard all about Furner, has he ever been a professional boxer though? Or what’s his amateur record?

Players who also boxed to various successes include Monty Betham, Anthony Mundine, Mark Broadhurst, Solomon Haumono, Sonny-Bill Williams. I’m sure there’s others but that’s off the top of my head. Of these, Mundine has to be considered the most successful.

And I’m not including the fly-by-nighters in that list (Lussick, Hodges and co). And no, not Jeff Fenech either.

Willie Ray

Bench
Yes I’ve heard all about Furner, has he ever been a professional boxer though? Or what’s his amateur record?

Players who also boxed to various successes include Monty Betham, Anthony Mundine, Mark Broadhurst, Solomon Haumono, Sonny-Bill Williams. I’m sure there’s others but that’s off the top of my head. Of these, Mundine has to be considered the most successful.

And I’m not including the fly-by-nighters in that list (Lussick, Hodges and co). And no, not Jeff Fenech either.
Billy Johnstone came out of the Brisbane comp and played for a few years at the
Bulldogs...really good hooker...had about 25 pro fights if I remember correctly.
Never saw him throw 'em on the field as no-one took him on.
I never saw Monty Betham fight either but he had a fearsome reputation.
Never saw Ruben or Petero fight either....imagine those two with their blood up.

Lukemac

Juniors
Mitchell Pearce, Braith Anasta, and Daniel Vidot All deserve honourable mentions in the worst fighter department.
But Matt Sing probably takes the prize.

nick87

Coach
Yeah the hook he dropped Webcke with was no f**king accident, he shaped up, protected himself, found the opening and landed it as clean as you like
Furner was not a pub brawler

Going off this Monty is one of the best and Steve Readon is one of the worst.

Dunno if that does Betham or Reardon justice. Monty started laying into Reardon when he was getting to his feet, and I'd be covering up too.

I remember Sirro in a game against the Dragons back in the late-80's, saturday arvo ABC one. Wally Fullerton-Smith had a relatively minor crack at Sirro, who fired up then towered over him to throw an absolute fearsome combination back at Wally. Went on for about 4-5 seconds, which doesn't sound like much, but reckon there was at least a dozen thrown... Wally had his hands up "protecting himself" like he was on a golf course when someone shouts "FORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".. Sirro was an absolute beast - and I cant recall any fights he had after that - maybe coz everyone else saw it and thought better than to poke that bear.

While Tamati and Dowling was the best I've seen, this is my favourite - and funniest.

Les Davidson and Peter Kelly.

Last edited:

Latest posts