What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion Team Names

greenBV4

Bench
Eastern Suburbs have lodged a Trademark for 'Brisbane Firehawks'.

View attachment 38715
I started writing up a little rant on "why is the fire necessary, if you want a hawk just go with hawks", but realised part way through its probably a connection to their colour scheme. Still think Brisbane Hawks would be better (and also think there's better than hawks in general) but its OK I guess

if it were to go down to QRL clubs who do people think has the better bid out of Easts and Dolphins?

Edit: Just realised theres actual such thing as a firehawk, they use fires to their advantage to hunt, and apparently can carry fire in their beak and spread bushfires

Last edited:

Smiley

Bench
I started writing up a little rant on "why is the fire necessary, if you want a hawk just go with hawks", but realised part way through its probably a connection to their colour scheme. Still think Brisbane Hawks would be better (and also think there's better than hawks in general) but its OK I guess

if it were to go down to QRL clubs who do people think has the better bid out of Easts and Dolphins?

Edit: Just realised theres actual such thing as a firehawk, they use fires to their advantage to hunt, and apparently can carry fire in their beak and spread bushfires

Maybe there is some truth to the East / Wynnum Manly joint venture. Hawks/bird mascot to represent Wynnum's involvement and the colour orange for Easts?

Do the Roosters own the Tigers?

Absolutely makes sense the Tigers reg'd the name.

Apologies, I'm just confused on the reg'd names of both Easts teams.

EDIT....

Tigers have INC on end. Durrr. Sorry...carry on.

GAZF

First Grade
Firehawks is a cool sounding name, with an Australian origin, that is becoming increasingly relevant, isn't a direct name for an animal species, isn't used in Australian sport currently, and is distinct enough from its closest mascot in the NRL (Sea-Eagles).

Probably wont see the light of day.

The Great Dane

First Grade
I like it, it's unique and interesting.

My only concern is that if they're not careful then the design of the brand could very quickly go from 'unique and interesting' to a very cartoony logo and a mess of a jersey with flames all over it, if you know what I mean.

greenBV4

Bench
I like it, it's unique and interesting.

My only concern is that if they're not careful then the design of the brand could very quickly go from 'unique and interesting' to a very cartoony logo and a mess of a jersey with flames all over it, if you know what I mean.
re the jersey I think they've gone with the name so they can keep the current one and have it still make sense. Wests will probably have a sook but thats their fault for not using a predominantly orange jersey and sticking with black

The Great Dane

First Grade
re the jersey I think they've gone with the name so they can keep the current one and have it still make sense. Wests will probably have a sook but thats their fault for not using a predominantly orange jersey and sticking with black
Considering that most of the time their jerseys are just knockoff Balmain jerseys, I don’t think that’s going to fly.

It’d just cause all sorts of issues that can and should be avoided.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I don't know if its just me but I'm not a fan of the"Brisbane" name.

I've got nothing against having a 2nd Brisbane team but we already have Brisbane which sounds obvious

Unless you put East, North, South, West or have a different name like Logan, Redcliffe, Ipswich, having 2 teams with the same name is a bit Americanised.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Considering that most of the time their jerseys are just knockoff Balmain jerseys, I don’t think that’s going to fly.

It’d just cause all sorts of issues that can and should be avoided.

Mate they are not 'knock offs'.

Eastern Suburbs have a long history with the Tiger mascot, and black and gold colours. Stretching back to Coorparoo 'Bengals' Football Club pre-WWI.

Have some respect, it is more correct to say Balmain and Easts have shared those colours and branding.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Mate they are not 'knock offs'.

Eastern Suburbs have a long history with the Tiger mascot, and black and gold colours. Stretching back to Coorparoo 'Bengals' Football Club pre-WWI.

Have some respect, it is more correct to say Balmain and Easts have shared those colours and branding.
I'm not trying to be disrespectful or knocking them, but the fact of the matter is that they've basically copied a bunch of Balmain's designs for years, to the point that the tiger on their logo is literally just a slightly edited copy of Balmain's (that doesn't happen just because of a happy quinky dink of convergent evolution). Which honestly is fine, I couldn't careless as it hasn't made a difference until now.

But now that they're entering a competition where Balmain is present (at least to some degree), and there is still a club that owns and uses Balmain's brand and flogs off Balmain merchandise, they're going to have to leave their stuff that is inspired by Balmain designs behind or it'll inevitably cause problems.

The Quenbyan Blues lead Canberra bid went through similar problems when they entered the NSWRL, it just is what it is.

sempmrh

Juniors
Firehawks not only sounds cool, it’s unique and it has a genuine Australian origin. It’s probably my favourite out of all the proposed expansion team names.