What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

LINESPEED

Juniors
jesus Christ Andrew Gordon let that happen? Sack mary!!!

Well Ryan Webb
On Day 59
(how time gets away in the flurry of leaks about JetSki)

...Never in the history of bullshit
has so much been written about so undeserving a man

...And the Foxes are indeed in the Winhouse & the feathers are flying indeed with the cats now well & truly among the pigeons

Squawking everywhere

And those drums don’t help either
...or even the whisper & chatter of leaked emails?:

“Please know the fans and members are being heard, and their position is one of many things that have to be considered at this time,” Webbwrote. “I will always put the club first in any discussions with the aim of getting the club back into a successful position both on and off the field.”

“Being heard”?
Yeah like like the silence of the dressing room

Hardly confronting a maul at the gates, but nice corporate speak saying nothing FFS

When will you guys learn to be proactive - to get ahead of the game?

You know - act decisively

Win a Title, not a Spoon

Thought of an interview with Hoops to quell the riot & soon-to-be rout?

I liked the futile optimism of “successful position” though

...considering those ominous stats staring at you from the Boardroom door
(you know, those yardstick reminders to keep you honest?)

Or has Andrew whisked them away to a drawer by the harbour again?

And don’t we just love the classic subterfuge & the rearguard cowardice as Andrew & The Board leak crap through a sieve

& duly pass you the buck.

Yes WCD
Andrew Gordon has let Waterboy ‘happen’ too -

& for way way too long has the mateship card been played

as he’s manned the barricades with McFail at fortress Illawarra

...to his inevitable & dire detriment

...2/13 is such a :heartpulse: stat to run with
- but I think 56/57th & 7th from 7yrs in 113 years quite do the trick too

It’s stats in your face if you like

But the pick of the week’s been:

- some decent focus on Andrew by the harbour ( or garrison - take your pick) at last
- the selfish non paycut
- Suli’s deflected non-bird?
- another spine reshuffle after months of preseason
- more players blamed for what is universally acknowledged as a longterm coaching failure (we have the roster - universally acknowledged again - to shake the top 4)
- silence in The Shed
- Graham’s mindnumbing stupidity
-the battle of the desperates headline
- every headline
- Aitken at 17
- the poaching Mary smokescreen
- Ryan saying something to somebody
- others checking on Andrew’s due diligence history
- Fittler making a fool of himself
- Lozza fooling himself - again
- Hoops turning
- Kenty sidetracked
- Flanno’s redemption
- the myriad of coaches on offer
- Benny & Duff the whipping boys again
- etc

Quite a box of chocolates eh?

Welcome to our CEO hotseat Ryan

... it’s what happens when you don’t REALLY listen

& when you support a failed coach of 7 ludicrous years

And yet yous still fuc/kin’ spout that beating the lowly Dogs or Sharks turns it all around

... and elite players will then come flocking

- lining up to be coached by The Waterboy from Illawarra

Breathtakingly unbelievable!

Last edited:

merahputih

Juniors
After last years' result I was about to scrape up $100 to put on Mary to win this years' Dally M Coach of the Year, but the NRl has now banned betting on it- spoilsports!

matPORTS

Juniors
Again this morning across various media outlets, a lot of heat is being deflected back on the players.

Not for one minute do I wish to take all the blame away from the players, but where is Mary to defend them like any professional coach should? Or is he too busy working with the spin doctors to write the scripts for the press conference on Monday?

This thread is ground zero for Marys critics.

A one stop shop for everything Mary.

I’ve been waiting for an response to the fracas on the official website.

Something from Webby, but nothing’s been posted yet.

My expectation is a press release of more froth and bubble and utter rubbish without any acknowledgment of the perilous and dire state of football dept at this point.

“ We will work harder” being a mainstream denial of the coaching crisis.

Then again, if they don’t say anything, they can’t be criticised for it.

I blame the players but only to an lessor extent, because it’s impossible to know for sure if it’s their fault without an alternative coach.

What we do know is that the current situation is untenable.

You have to play the game as you see it.

I see a coach and a football side failing. For whatever reason, game plan, personalities, accidents the outcomes aren’t there.

I believe mez when he says the attitude training isn’t translating to games. He has to find the reason and fix it. But I fear the season is well and truly over. A win against the lacklustre dogs is hardly a great accomplishment.

Nothing short of a near record score line will tame the wolves at the foot of the castle...for a short time anyway.

Last edited:

matPORTS

Juniors
There are a number of scenarios shaping up:

Mary goes post- board meeting on 16th June and an interim (Young, Head or Shepherd) is installed.

Mary goes post- board meeting on 16th June and, subject to NRL approval, Flanno is installed.

Board meeting on 16th June determines that Mary is no longer the man for the job, however will see out the rest of 2020. Subject to NRL approval, Flanno is the man to take over in 2021.

NRL holds firm that Flanno is unable to coach until 2022. Mary goes post- board meeting on 16th June and an interim (Young, Head or Shepherd) is installed to see us through the next 18 months. Flanno takes over in 2022.

Board meeting on 16th June determines that Mary is no longer the man for the job, however will see out the rest of 2020. No further decisions will be made on the situation at this time, subject to a comprehensive review of the situation over the coming months and end of the current season (thus allowing the Flanno situation to play out + also determine what other options could be available to us going forward for 2021).

Board determines on 16th June that Mary has a positive future as our head coach and will be given every possible chance to prove that (in all honesty this would not surprise me in the slightest) !!

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the current crop of assistants & backroom staff in our ranks are only under contract for this year...?

Personally - my thoughts are that if we can't get Flanno to take over right now, then I feel we need to still install an interim now but go to market for a new full time coach to take over in 2021 & go in a different direction altogether. Unfortunately, the decision by the board to bring Flanno in as an assistant (no doubt in big reason to try and appease any unrest among the supporter group for the terrible decision that was to extend Mary for a further two years) has backfired. The guy has got his hands tied for a number of reasons other than just his suspension. The shackles either need to be released now or he needs to be cut loose along with Mary.

I don't think we can sit in limbo for the next 18 months with an interim while we wait for Flanno to have his ban lifted.

Decisions need to be made about our roster and recruitment, which is a completely different subject altogether. Any players coming in will want to know who they're working with.

Also, Corey Norman, Ben Hunt, Adam Clune in the same 17 I just can't see meshing. If the club sees Clune as it's long term number 7 going forward, I think one of either Hunt or Norman need to be shopped off to other NRL clubs or the UK, and we need to bring in an astute pivot to support Clune through his early years of development. We need a James Maloney type player in that position. Could someone like Josh Reynolds play that role? I get the feeling that he is a Flanno type player (should Flanno take over) and someone whom would be good for the club in the current circumstances.

If Hunt stays to see out the remainder of his contract (as it will be very hard to cut him loose unless he wants to up and leave himself), then his role will definitely be more towards number 9 than that of a 6 or 7. Unfortunately, that then brings on some tough decisions RE: the future of McIness.

... but trying to stay on subject RE: this issue though - basically the decisions that will be required RE: our roster will need a tough operator and tough negotiator to make things happen (especially if we are negotiating early releases for our highest paid players and bringing in other players whom other clubs are trying to get off their books for as little financial penalty as possible). Mary & Millward are not capable of doing what will be required here !!

---

... from Fox Sports today: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/7244821c2ec5505c2189fb719cc68f36

V’LANDYS SAYS FLANAGAN MUST COMPLETE HEAD COACH BAN

Peter V’landys has squashed suggestions Shane Flanagan could have his head- coaching ban reduced, effectively ruling him out as a possible early replacement for besieged St George Illawarra mentor Paul McGregor.

Currently McGregor’s assistant, former Cronulla coach Flanagan is banned from becoming a head coach again until 2022 after violating the rules of a previous suspension over his role in the Sharks’ supplements scandal.

“He (Flanagan) has to serve the penalty he’s been given and there’s no reason at this stage to change that penalty,” ARLC chairman V’landys told 2GB radio on Thursday.

Despite being contracted until the end of 2021, McGregor is under enormous pressure to turn around his winless and under-performing team before the next Dragons club board meeting later this month.

— AAP

---

We can't wait around for this, nor can we use it as an excuse to keep him on beyond the 16th June.

Unfortunately if we are going to move forward in the most positive manner possible, then Flanno (and anyone else associated to him on staff) should be cut loose now as well.

My choice now for interim is Matt Head. But, is there also any chance of getting Geoff Toovey (or another non-contracted available outside candidate) to start this year (pretty much similar to Ivan Cleary taking over mid-2017 from Jason Taylor at the Tigers)?

Last edited:
Every time you check your fone, there are more candidates for the impending vacancy.
A lot of the media people are putting up their mates!

I think whoever it is, so as to clear the decks, it shouldn’t be anyone from within or connected to the club.

The club needs to act decisively. It should sack Mary straight after the impending failure against the dogs and install an interim coach for the balance of the season.

It doesn’t really matter who it is at this point, so long as McFlog is relegated to being a historic afterthought.

Someone has to remind the club that it’s sole purpose is to win games. Saving money is all good and so forth, but they can’t even do that properly. They pissed it up against the wall on Mary for 2 years at $1.6. Not for one year but two.

The idea is to spend to win, not spend to lose.

Its their problem McPaycut is signed up seemingly forever, not the fans.

Act first and discuss the money later. It’s their problem.

They created the mess, not you blokes.

WepnutV

Juniors
Almost brings me to tears where this clubs at.. I did back mary for a number of years, defended him when he got bagged, argued with outher supporters that they should support him rather then call for his head( and i still think they should of) but after signing a huge contract extension last year it was either take our club forward or f$#% off.. We have gone backwards. If he is not sacked after june 16 regardless of results i will start a riot (protest) out the front of st george leagues club on june 17.. Who is with me?

Almost brings me to tears where this clubs at.. I did back mary for a number of years, defended him when he got bagged, argued with outher supporters that they should support him rather then call for his head( and i still think they should of) but after signing a huge contract extension last year it was either take our club forward or f$#% off.. We have gone backwards. If he is not sacked after june 16 regardless of results i will start a riot (protest) out the front of st george leagues club on june 17.. Who is with me?

I am.

I am sure to be arrested.

I’d like to meet the Fail Mary boys, legends.

Last edited:

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Again this morning across various media outlets, a lot of heat is being deflected back on the players.

Not for one minute do I wish to take all the blame away from the players, but where is Mary to defend them like any professional coach should? Or is he too busy working with the spin doctors to write the scripts for the press conference on Monday?
Remember a little while back, when he said have a go at me but leave my players alone.....just a little. How the tide has turned

piesplusreturns

Juniors
I didn't mind Yvonne Sampson, but I really have to wonder after she supposedly said this on 2KY this morning:

“It can’t be just down to Paul McGregor... He can’t go out there and make sure that you complete the sets and have a fifth tackle option that is sound."

That's one of the primary jobs of a rugby league coach!

matPORTS

Juniors

I think most of us honestly thought, given the rosters + the starts we had in 2017 and 2018, that he did have a glimmer of hope of resembling something you could call 'successful'. It's the purple patches we showed in those seasons that he & his supporters (be it from the supporter group, the board or the media) keep holding onto in order to justify his position.

The style of football developed to get us those purple patches (and consequently continue to get him renewed to multi-million $ deals) has not been improved upon. In fact, we are still using the same game plans and same bench rotation policy as Rounds 1-10 in 2017 (with 2018 just being a slightly more polished version which kept us in the finals race instead of falling out) - and this is even after a couple more fires and new hires of various assistants & support staff ! There is a common denominator here.

My biggest concern is not one junior from our system has gone onto be successful during his tenure (at least with us - keep an eye on Reece Robson with the Cowboys). But he keeps holding onto his pet project from 2015 Euan Aitken, while Zac Lomax continues to be pulled from pillar to post. Players that have left or retired have not been successfully replaced (be it through promotion from our juniors or by attracting first grade quality talent from outside the club) and this will continue to happen. Again, we have Frizell moving on and I see nothing to instill me with any confidence that someone is either going to step up and fill the void internally, or that we're going to recruit an astute replacement (Moses Suli staying with Manly for somewhat less than our offer says it all).

We are still lacking a genuine game breaker in our back five. This has been a problem since Brett Morris saw the light and went on his Mary way (see what I did there), and was only compounded once Nightingale retired in 2018. He's had two pre-seasons (plus a COVID-break) to sort this out and has come up duck egg. Dufty could very easily be this game breaking player with the right coaching and mentoring - but good luck with that at the moment ! Again, this is why it is so hard to believe that he has no say in any recruitment and retention issues. If Dufty is not the player you want to use, then why was he re-signed at the end of 2018 with Millward and co being advised otherwise ?? How can the head coach not assume any accountability in this respect ?

The talk of the town this week is on how we have a quality roster (one of the best in the comp). Despite the weaknesses in our back five, I can't argue too much with this (even our bench forwards have shown some grit in the opening games). But that 'representative level forward pack' is already headed towards collapse within the coming weeks because Frizell will soon reach the point of not giving a damn, and Graham is already on tired legs. Norman and Hunt are arguably two of the best in the game in their respective positions but for some reason are either not meshing or buying into the game plan (I'll call a 30 / 70 split out of 100 on both reasons).

matPORTS

Juniors
I didn't mind Yvonne Sampson, but I really have to wonder after she supposedly said this on 2KY this morning:

“It can’t be just down to Paul McGregor... He can’t go out there and make sure that you complete the sets and have a fifth tackle option that is sound."

That's one of the primary jobs of a rugby league coach!

The "coach isn't the one crossing the white line" excuse is the oldest in the book. Quite frankly, lacks credibility. Just ignore I think.

Yeah I heard what she said, but she doesn’t get it.

She doesn’t understand the player coach dynamic.

She might have an argument if Mary had any kind of past success. But regrettably, no one remembers what that word means at sgi since Mez took over in his bloody coup.

Latest posts