What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

naturally gifted rugby league players for scoring tries, who you rate ?

images
Ah yes...ol' creeping Jesus

Hutty1986

Immortal
B.Moz and Blacklock, as well as Hayne in 09/14. Just lethal.
Matty Bowen, so electric at his best. Andrew Walker just a freak too, just such a natural with footy in hand. Bomaderry boy too. 2541 baby!

skeepe

Immortal
This list isn’t complete without mentioning Jarrod Croker. A natural try scorer and a freak in the air, he always looks like he might find the line.

4th highest active try scorer, and he ain’t near done yet.

Chimp

Bench
As a Sharks man, it pains me to say it, but Blacklock was very special - he’s the first name that came to my mind when reading the title.
ET was great, and whilst I’m sure everyone rates B.Moz, I think he’s still underrated - I reckon he’s one of the best all round wingers to ever play the game. Imagine if he’d played his career at Melbourne.
Englishmen in the NRL, Schofield and Hanley both scored tries for fun, throughout their career both in England, Australia and at international level.

Vozzy

Juniors
I think currently Brett Morris is involved in a lot of tries despite being a winger. He seems to be both gifted in scoring and being one of the last passes for a try to be scored. Even last night he chimed in at fullback better than most who have played a whole career there.

Obviously teddy and turbo are on this list as well.

Back in the day Slater, Renouf, Semi and Menzies.

Where is that stats guys?

Tries per game.

Now this is about naturals, there will be blokes who stats are better as they played outside a genius.

Ken Irvine. May not have seen the guy play, but considering he played 236 first grade games from 1958 to 1970 for the North Sydney Bears and then from 1971 to 1973 for Manly scoring 212 tries, he would classify as a natural. I mean in his career, he played 432 first class games and scored 385 tries (source: https://www.nrl.com/hall-of-fame/players/ken-irvine/), as such that would put him in there.

You would also add in Brian Bevan. May have played most of his career in England for Warrington in the 1940s thru to the mid 1960s, but he played 696 first class games scoring a staggering 796 tries. He was a complete freak from all reports, a pure natural with ball in hand, but looked very scrawny (source: https://www.nrl.com/hall-of-fame/players/brian-bevan/).

Of those I have seen I'd nominate Arthur Beetson. The guy had it all pace, strength, football brains, a good passing game, more elusive than you'd think, and could tackle too.

Last edited: