What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 - Storm vs Rabbitohs: Friday 5th June 7:55pm @AAMI Park

Go Bunnies

Juniors
Good half from Latrell. Seems up for it tonight.
Disappointing not to be in front. No reason why Souths can't win this.
Great pass to Johnston for the try but in all honesty, Johnston the only one in the backline to score that try - As Andrew Johns always says “you can’t coach speed”.
Also Burns needs to learn to pass - not one pass in the first half.

Travitoh

First Grade
The second half has been pure shite. Souths got the rub of the green tonight but did nothing to capitalise on it.

Latrell's performance was a positive. He is improving each week.

Souths should've won that.

Robbie 12

Juniors
One of the worse games Souths have played, they did not look like scoring in the second half at all, no matter how many tackles they got, there is a massive lack of focus, not working as team, no one knows what they are doing, no set plays at all,

Travitoh

First Grade
One of the worse games Souths have played, they did not look like scoring in the second half at all, no matter how many tackles they got, there is a massive lack of focus, not working as team, no one knows what they are doing, no set plays at all,

I feel like we've been saying similar to this for close to 12 months now.

callmack1

Staff member
Well the tale of the tape for that one is simple. Errors, errors, errors. That's all it was, just too many bloody errors. I feel pretty gutted and a bit deflated after that. We did so much right in that game, so much and the Storm really were there to be beaten but instead, we decided to beat ourselves. Should be happy with that performance but in the end I'm actually fuming and pretty friggin gutted. Man, we should have won that!!

Big improvement attacking wise tonight. You could notice the changes to the pack straight away as there was just a lot more punch and we were marching up the field quite well that whole game to be honest. I was happy with the way the forwards played (apart from the errors) and the changes certainly paid off. Our attacking shape and plays were far better close to the line too and we looked so dangerous everytime we were down there. Asked a lot of questions of one of the best defensive teams in the comp tonight and that should not be underestimated. The attack was great. But, as we all know, it was the errors in the second half that just absolutely murdered us. They just kept coming, and coming, and coming. Melbourne are a team you simply just can't do that to and that showed tonight. So when you take all those incomplete sets out of it, I was actually quite happw with the attack.

Defensively, we were rocks and diamonds tonight. I mean, look at how much ball the Storm had in our own half and yet, we managed to hold them out time and time again. That was impressive. Line speed was of a high intensity and we did a much better job of slowing down the ruck. In saying that, we were poor defensively sometimes and it was in the key moments too. We just clocked of at times and let them straight through which was evident in the Storm's first two tries. That needs work.

Mitchell: First time I've said this all year but Latrell had a great game tonight. You could see he just wanted to be into it and wanted to be involved. His kick returns were very strong, as were a lot of his ordinary runs. Plus, how good did he look on attack?! Some of the passes he threw tonight were just exceptional, especially his cut out ball for AJ's try. He created a lot of chances for us with fantastic touches of the Footy on both sides of the field. It was grreat to watch.

Gagai: Pretty solid tonight without being spectacular. His runs were strong, especially out of our own end, safe under the high ball, pretty good defensively and he got through a lot of work. He did make a couple of errors but man, he was unlucky not to score tonight. Latrell would seemingly put it on a platter for him but the Melbourne defence was sadly too good.

Graham: Another great game from Cammy in that right centre spot. Like Gags, he did a lot of work coming out of our own end and proved hard to put down, making a decent amount of meters on every run. He was defensively sound and got close to scoring a couple of times.

Burns: Was solid. His runs perhaps weren't quite as strong but he did get through a hell of a lot of work. Over all his defence was solid but he did have a few poor lapses that need to be worked on, most noteably their first try, that all came about beacuse Burnsy showed no energy to get back into the line which opened the space.

Johnston: Pretty good tonight. Wasn't afraid to get in and do the hard yards, his kick returns were strong. Wasn't bad over the whole game defensively either (he got a really bad bounce for Vunivalu's try. An incredible finish to score his try too!

Dargan: Have to be a bit harsh on him tonight sadly but I just wasn't a fan of the way he played. To be honest, I just feel he didn't create a lot. Generally, whenever we got an opportunity, it was created by someone else and he just had a hand in the play. He had a few soft defensive moments, in paticular a real lack of chase on the Storm's first try. And finally, he had two chances to step up and take our final chances at the end of the game but he didn't execute. Threw that poor pass that Vunivalu intercepted and then there was that obtruction penalty where he should have just surrendered and not passed. They were two key moment that he didn't ice. I guess we cna't be too hard on him though, it's his second game.

Reynolds: A much better performance from Reyno!! He actually really stood up and led from the front. Right from the opening minute, he was busy and was demanding the Footy. He was actually digging into the line more on attack which was creating space for his outside men. I was impressed with his kicking game too and he forced a couple of line drop outs with the ball on a string. I guess hif job was made easier by the forwards laying more of a platform but it's just good to see him stand up.

Tatola: Much improved! Back to his normal self tonight thankfully. Really led the way for the forwards as he was very busy but didn't show any signs of slowing down. Fantastic runs that certainly set the platform for the night and was great in defence also. Much better Junior!

Cook: Speaking of improvement, I thought Cookie was a lot better too. Our forwards weren't getting dominated so I guess he had more of a platform and more time to work off but it was good to see him pick his runs and just go for it, his running game was a lot better. I feel his service was also because he didn't seem to overplay his hand. Our top tackler for that game too!

Burgess: Didn't seem to get as many minutes but still put in a good shift. No errors with some good, hard running and making plenty of yards, that's all we want from Tommy and that's exactly what he did tonight.

Lowe: I gotta be honest, he was quiet. Really not that much to say about him. God, he needs to lift!

Su'a: His best game in the Red and Green by far! He was so powerful tonight, it was Te'o like! He just looked like a different player, it was brilliant! he seemed hungry and ran with a lot of power and aggression which saw him pick up plenty of meters. Not only that, but he went close to scoring a couple of times and was even creating opportunities for Campbell and Gags outside him. His defence was outstanding too, made his tackles but also put on some big hits.

Murray: Well, his move back to lock was an instant success and you could just see how much more formidible our pack looked. Cam on a personal level had a great game. It was the Cam Murray of old at lock with a lot of involvement, very stong runs with a quick play-the-ball, offloads and text book tackles.

Knight: Not his greatest of nights for Liam. Most of his game was top notch and I thought he brough great impact off the bench. Was taking his hit ups well and generally charging up field. However, his hands were a real issue and I think he made two or three errors in the end which is just not good enough.

Nicholls: Mark was okay, better than last week. He did his job and I was actually quite surprised at the amount of post contact meters he was making. I was however, disappointed in a few errors he made.

Amone: Tom's running game was great once again. I am seriously blown away by his ability to just keep moving forward with defenders hanging off him and we saw that again tonight, he provided great impact off the bench. But it was him that initially caused the Vunivalu try because he got drawn into some niggly stuff at the ruck and completely took his eye off the ball, that was disappointing.

Koloamatangi: Massive congrats to Keon on the debut!! We didn't get to see a lot of him as he only had a few runs but they were very good. Hope to see more this year.

So all in all, a very frustrating game because I feel like we really could have and should have won that. Hold onto the wall and we may have done just that. It's so disappointing as we've just missed a great opportunity. In saying that, while we still have A LOT to work on, I think we can take some real confidence from that because we've seen how we can play if we execute.

truthslayer

Juniors
First of all, Bennett should make all those that had bad handling errors walk around for two days carrying a football. The turning point for me was when Mark Nicholls dropped the ball cold on an early tackle south attacking the line. Donald Duck would put more fear into the opposition than Nicholls. Whilst the Chin (Liam Knight ) run more metres his defence in the Munster break and elsewhere is ordinary. So is Bennet handling of Murray who indeed was much better. Bennet had replaced him and low and behold Munster makes the break inside storm territory. Liam K looking a fool in defence once again. Murray would have had him. Tom was safe and ran hard. Sua was very good. Amone strong but needs more defence work. Tatola strong carry. Ethan Lowe was much better this week. Koloamatangi would have liked to see him have more playing time. Reynolds more involved. Dargan, not first-grade standard. Burns ran more but passing and defence is still a worry. Graham strong runs but missed a couple of tackles that led to tries.
Nicholls must go no threat. Johnstone ok great try but as we know can go missing in defence. For a first-grade team ball handling was not acceptable. Same players making the same mistakes week in week out.Mitchell his best game yet. Discipline is a key to win and its bennets job to get this right.

Latrell might be getting better in some facets of his play at fullback, but his involvement in running the ball is well below that of his opponents. Case in point last night's game, Latrell had (according to Fox Sports) had 9 runs for 92 meters. By comparison Papenhuyzen had 16 runs for 177 meters. I know the Storm varied where they placed their kicks, but you need a fullback running the ball more often than Latrell has so far if he wants to be a success there.

callmack1

Staff member
Player of the Game - Round 4: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/06/06/player-of-the-game-round-four/

Have seen a lot of people saying that we're not capable of matching it with the big teams and I disagree with that to some degree. Against the Broncos in Round 2, we were mostly in the game and anything could have happened. We matched it with the Roosters last week and were in the game for the first half before we dropped off in the second. Against the Storm, we really pushed them and should have won that game. Now, I'm realistic and agree that we have been quite poor in periods this year so far. However, I refuse to believe we can't match it with the big teams because we've already proven that if we put it together, we can.

Our biggest issue at the moment is consistency. We are just not consistent throughout the 80 minutes. We play really well in patches and that's where we've stuck it to the bigger teams but then we can be absolutely awful for the next 20 minutes, let them in, and then just like that, the game is gone. If we can focus, execute and play for the full 80 minutes, I strongly believe we can match it with anyone.

truthslayer

Juniors
So Braiden Burns' only missed tackle from 18 attempts occurred attempting to chase down Vunivalu?
well, he did have a stronger running game, vunivalau had an str8 run burns angled, it's a tackle that could be made, however, he is not the only one that missed tackles.

Pauly1

Juniors
well, he did have a stronger running game, vunivalau had an str8 run burns angled, it's a tackle that could be made, however, he is not the only one that missed tackles.
B Burns is not a 1st grade player, at best reserves.
Hope he gets dropped when the jet comes back.

assess5

Juniors
B Burns is not a 1st grade player, at best reserves.
Hope he gets dropped when the jet comes back.

Lowe is NOT a first grade player either. He just seems to skate through each game, can anybody ever say of him 'wow, that was great' in either defence or attack. Chuck him, bring Amone on full time, Amone has some guts and mongrel, Lowe just collects his pay check. Only time I was impressed with Lowe was that state of origin game which did Souths a lot of good.

Bennett sent Koalamatangi on with on with thirteen minutes to go 'go on mate, tear it up, kill im'.
Gosh,Koalamatangi mistimed his first run, 'no pressure mate'.
Some of Bennet's maneuvers totally escape me, be glad when he goes. Didn't Bennett bring Lowe with him?

Latest posts