What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 rule changes

LineBall

Juniors
Captains challenge is shit. Mostly used to challenge dumb 50/50 shit at insignificant moments. The vid ref is never gonna overrule the ref unless its dogs balls obvious. Its so useless no one has bothered manipulating it. Stopping the game to examine contentious knock-ons aint entertainment.

Best use of it was probably Glasby when he and his team were wrecked and needed a breather.

Should be used for points scoring decisions only such as check grounding, or if the ball just got over the cross bar for a field goal etc.

T-Boon

Coach
Captains challenge is shit. Mostly used to challenge dumb 50/50 shit at insignificant moments. The vid ref is never gonna overrule the ref unless its dogs balls obvious. Its so useless no one has bothered manipulating it. Stopping the game to examine contentious knock-ons aint entertainment.

Best use of it was probably Glasby when he and his team were wrecked and needed a breather.

It only slightly extends an already existing stoppage. It eliminates almost all ref blaming. Stop whinging.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
It's only early days but the 6 again rule looks exciting.

I'm a little concerned that once a team gets on the 'back foot ' the opposition could run away with it more often.

We can probably manage it at NRL level but it could result in more blowouts if copied at junior level or international where fitness levels are lower. We used to regularly see teams compete with tier 1 international sides for the first 60 minutes then fade away. The new rule could contribute to that.

T-Boon

Coach

I'm a little concerned that once a team gets on the 'back foot ' the opposition could run away with it more often.

We can probably manage it at NRL level but it could result in more blowouts if copied at junior level or international where fitness levels are lower. We used to regularly see teams compete with tier 1 international sides for the first 60 minutes then fade away. The new rule could contribute to that.

It is not a rule that is needed at levels below NRL and NSW cup because they don't wrestle as much in the lower comps. The problem is the higher you go up the more time they spend training which equates to more time practicing wrestling because as has been stated NRL teams spend 80% of their time working on defense/wrestle.

T-Boon

Coach
See how bad NRL players are at long kicks now? I would estimate 95% of kicks I have seen have been caught on the full. The number of bombs in RL now is probably higher than in Union.

big hit!

Bench

concerned? where have you been the last week? it's practically happening every game. and if it's happening at elite level with salary caps, it will be like cricket in the juniors.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors

The rules changes might hurt the game a bit short-term. Kind of like T20 cricket in its infancy where most teams haven't figured out how to manage a game, and what kind of tactics to use beyond chancing one's arm, and winning on natural ability. Over time, hopefully teams adapt and we end up with a better product.

I am happy if every team adapts to these rules, except the Broncos :)

T-Boon

Coach
concerned? where have you been the last week? it's practically happening every game. and if it's happening at elite level with salary caps, it will be like cricket in the juniors.

Why would it be a rule brought in for the juniors? Wrestling is an NRL problem. The kids train twice a week at most they don't waste that time on wrestle. The kids would walk away.

T-Boon

Coach
If we want to have a lot less pointless stoppages the game should look at getting rid of scrums. That would bring in more fatigue.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
If we want to have a lot less pointless stoppages the game should look at getting rid of scrums. That would bring in more fatigue.

Thanks my point earlier was that increasing fatigue might be a good thing at NRL level but a bad thing at international level where the playing field and fitness levels might be less equal.

AJB1102

First Grade
It only slightly extends an already existing stoppage. It eliminates almost all ref blaming. Stop whinging.

Players use it poorly. Challenging a 50/50 never gonna turn out well so spending 2 minutes checking shit flies in the face of reducing stoppages. Anything requiring a little interpretation will stay refs call.

siv

First Grade
Players use it poorly. Challenging a 50/50 never gonna turn out well so spending 2 minutes checking shit flies in the face of reducing stoppages. Anything requiring a little interpretation will stay refs call.

Agree unless its howler

Its being used as a rest

We shoukd do some stats on when in a game its being used

I think you will find its being used heavily late in both halves

Nerd

Bench
I'm happy with the 6 again calls but one thing that seems to have fallen by the wayside is defenders leaving the line early especially once their team gets a run of 6 again calls.

AJB1102

First Grade
Agree unless its howler

Its being used as a rest

We shoukd do some stats on when in a game its being used

I think you will find its being used heavily late in both halves

I'd just like see how many have been used and how many were successful. Feels most are lost and if that's the case then its doing little to improve decisions and not worth the time spent reconfirming what the ref said 90 seconds earlier.

Valheru

Coach
Time to revisit 6 again rule?

This has to be the most lopsided comp I can remember. The top 8 is something like 70-10 against the bottom 8 this season.

This week the average odds for the underdogs is around $5.50.

Is the 6 again rule accentuating differences in talent and thus making it harder for upset results or is something else going on this season?

LineBall

Juniors
Time to revisit 6 again rule?

This has to be the most lopsided comp I can remember. The top 8 is something like 70-10 against the bottom 8 this season.

This week the average odds for the underdogs is around $5.50.

Is the 6 again rule accentuating differences in talent and thus making it harder for upset results or is something else going on this season?

I don't think the difference between the worst and best teams is any more than other years. The new rules mean that teams can't rely on the wrestle and giving away penalties to kill the opposition's momentum hence the more blow out scores we've seen. It's just exposing what's always been there.