What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dufty to Titans

BIG RIG

Juniors
Daily Telegraph reporting that Titans are keen on bringing Dufty in effective immediately

Dragon David

First Grade
Daily Telegraph reporting that Titans are keen on bringing Dufty in effective immediately
That would be right. Another one to leave us. It's the Daily Telegraph though but even still Dufty just doesn't know where he stands anymore with his in and out selection. If he does go, then it will be interesting to see if he fires with the Titans. It could be against us in round 6!

Dragon David

First Grade
I watched the Manly Eels game last night. How good was it, how bad are we, they would put 60 on us and you just don’t want to watch us.
The best game so far in my opinion. Too bad about the disallowed try to Manly to spoil the spectacle. All the players gave it their all - hard and fast and constant. Yes both of those teams will put a high score on us when we play them, so will be difficult to get excited about watching the games.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I don’t see him as our long term fullback unfortunately. If I was him with the way the rule changes are now I’d try to put on some muss and try to get a role somewhere as a bench hooker, he’s young enough to learn the role, is fairly nuggety and quick off the mark. If there was an injury he could at a pinch play anywhere in the backline imo. Our club would never entertain it but if coached right he could be an outstanding impact player maybe in 2 seasons progress to starting hooker.

Dragon David

First Grade
Not sure why they want dufty when they already have AJ Brimson who is miles better, unless they use him as backup which isn't much of an upgrade from what he is at the Dragons.
Both Dufty and Saab will end up in the same situation they find themselves in now should they switch clubs. Very unfortunate, but these are the signs of the current times we face with our players. Must be a lot of whinging going on in the sheds at the moment. Nobody is thrilled as to where things are heading I'd say.

I am sure that the players are seeing how the top teams are going and how they play the games but our players just know that they have shoddy game plans and receive poor direction from the want to be master of the coaches.

If rumours are true that Dufty wants out to join the Titans he certainly won't be rising to the big time with that club - jumping from the pan into the fire is what I say.

watatank

Coach
Not sure why they want dufty when they already have AJ Brimson who is miles better, unless they use him as backup which isn't much of an upgrade from what he is at the Dragons.

Brimson is injured and could be out for a while. It'd be an opportunity For Dufty to try and get that fullback spot and push Brimson to the halves when he comes back. It's a gamble but staying isn't necessarily in his best interests when he has been dropped a few times already

getsmarty

Immortal
  • Pressure mounts on Dragons and McGregor as Titans circle dumped Dufty
    Adrian Proszenko
    June 6, 2020 — 7.45pm
    • Send via Email
    Leave a comment

Matt Dufty could be the latest Dragon wanting out of the embattled club, with the Gold Coast interested in acquiring him immediately if he becomes available.

The pressure is mounting on St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor ahead of a crucial match against fellow strugglers Canterbury. Another loss would consign his team to a 0-4 start, all but ending hopes of finals football given the shortened season.

Under fire @StgeorgeDragons coach Paul McGregor knows he ‘needs to get results’ or face sack. #NRL

Already several players have indicated they want out of the joint-venture club. Representative forward Tyson Frizell rejected a three-year extension to instead join Newcastle from next season, while young gun Jason Saab has asked for an immediate release from a contract that expires at the end of 2022. Moses Suli knocked back a three-year, $2 million deal to join the club to instead take up a two-year extension worth $1 million less.

Dufty, dropped following last week’s loss to the Warriors, could also be on the move. The 24-year-old has struggled to make the fullback position his own, playing a number of games off the bench as well as in the No.1 jersey last year before being axed for Corey Norman following last week’s loss.

The Titans are keen to add depth to a back line missing injured half AJ Brimson for the season and are eyeing off Dufty and Wests Tigers utility Corey Thompson as potential options should they become available.

One potential outcome is Thompson shifting north to free up a spot at the Tigers for Saab, a switch that would result in the smallest winger in the competition being replaced with the tallest. However, Dufty is also on the radar of Gold Coast coach Justin Holbrook, who believes his speed could be just what the side requires to break its own winless streak.

cf59f9579b78cbecc0265be25021fa32e6df9f43

Matt Dufty could become the next Dragon wanting out of the club.Credit:AAP

The Dragons have knocked back Saab’s initial release request, although the parties are expected to meet this week.

Boom rookie Saab won’t have any trouble finding a new club if he becomes a free agent. The NSW under-20s star has fielded interest from the Tigers, Bulldogs, Storm, Rabbitohs and Sharks after news broke that he wants out.

The potential departures are hardly a ringing endorsement for McGregor, whose only two wins in the past 13 games have come against wooden spooners Gold Coast. The former Blues centre is just three games into a two-year deal worth $700,000 a season, meaning the Dragons would face the prospect of a $1 million payout – and the expense of finding his replacement – if they were to sack him now.

As revealed by the Herald last week, McGregor has a Trent Barrett-style clause in his contract that gives the parties a six-month notice period should they wish to part company, but the earliest it can be triggered is January 1, 2021. In doing so, St George Illawarra could save themselves about $300,000 if he left in June of next year, but it remains to be seen if he will last that long.

A board meeting is scheduled for June 16, at which McGregor’s future will undoubtedly be the main topic of discussion. He is banking on the injection of debutant halfback Adam Clune to make a difference to a star-studded side that is failing to fire.

• https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pr...tans-circle-dumped-dufty-20200606-p5504w.html

possm

Coach
Both Dufty and Saab will end up in the same situation they find themselves in now should they switch clubs. Very unfortunate, but these are the signs of the current times we face with our players. Must be a lot of whinging going on in the sheds at the moment. Nobody is thrilled as to where things are heading I'd say.

I am sure that the players are seeing how the top teams are going and how they play the games but our players just know that they have shoddy game plans and receive poor direction from the want to be master of the coaches.

If rumours are true that Dufty wants out to join the Titans he certainly won't be rising to the big time with that club - jumping from the pan into the fire is what I say.
I predict Saab will play with SGI long term and once the new coach is appointed, Saab will be selected on the right wing. In my opinion Saab will become an origion winger over the next few years.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
By 2022 we will have a new coaching/recrutiment staff and our backline will probably look like this:
1. Ramsey - can also play wing
2. Sailor - can also play fullback and five-eighth
3. Lomax - can also play fullback or wing
4. Feagai - can also play wing
6. Sulivan - can also play halfback
7. Clune - can also play five-eighth

Notice all local junior talent with speed and with good coaching will hopefully be good defensively. They also should be at an affordable price.

Also a backline full of players who can play in a variety of backline positions.

Last edited: