What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brownie

epDragon62

First Grade
I don't know if Brown is the best option for us but I do know we could do much worse (Mary, for instance).

Others have stated values reasons that Brown should not be judged too harshly for his for stint and respected for some very good aspects of his time coaching to date.

One thing that we be positive about a Brown return to the club in either coaching or recruitment is he is a builder of talent and he would bring some passion and decisiveness, and I suspect he would fit our finances profile.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Brown also seemed to have a great love for the horses and TAB which could have distracted him. Doust only made one good coaching appointment in Bennett.

TruSaint

Referee
Brown also seemed to have a great love for the horses and TAB which could have distracted him. Doust only made one good coaching appointment in Bennett.

LOL,

Go forbid we have a coach who enjoys the punt every now and then. I know a few who do and currently employed.

Absolutely irrelevant. And by no measure is there any evidence it "distracted" him.

Maybe he was just too young ? Too close to ex players ?

redv13

Bench
LOL,

Go forbid we have a coach who enjoys the punt every now and then. I know a few who do and currently employed.

Absolutely irrelevant. And by no measure is there any evidence it "distracted" him.

Maybe he was just too young ? Too close to ex players ?
Like I said earlier, Browny was let down by Mr push ups way too many times when it mattered.

RedVDave

First Grade
Brownie did a tremendous job at Newcastle rebuilding that team he has always been a great eye for young talent as well. I would hire him as a talent scout in a heart beat.

Whilst he would be an upgrade on our current peanut (apart from Paul Langmack who wouldn't be?) I don't think he would be the right fit for us right now we need a more firm coach right now Bennett, Toovey, Flannigan etc. Would be amongst the best choices for us right now imo.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Brownie did a tremendous job at Newcastle rebuilding that team he has always been a great eye for young talent as well. I would hire him as a talent scout in a heart beat.

Whilst he would be an upgrade on our current peanut (apart from Paul Langmack who wouldn't be?) I don't think he would be the right for us right now we need a more firm coach right now Bennett, Toovey, Flannigan etc. Would be amongst the best choices for us right now imo.

RIGHT now, he is NOT the choice. Neither is Flanagan IMHO. Sorry, he needs to serve his time.

We need a reboot. Wayne / Griffin / someone who will instil discipline into the squad. There is zero chance of Nathan being in consideration. Above all, we need to know the boards plan going forward.

redv13

Bench
I’d be happy with Griffin. New ideas, discipline that is clearly lacking within the club at the moment. Good track record at Brisbane and Penrith. He’s da man for 2021 or even 2020 :fingers_crossed_tone1::fingers_crossed_tone1:

RedVDave

First Grade
RIGHT now, he is NOT the choice. Neither is Flanagan IMHO. Sorry, he needs to serve his time.

We need a reboot. Wayne / Griffin / someone who will instil discipline into the squad. There is zero chance of Nathan being in consideration. Above all, we need to know the boards plan going forward.

I don't think Flannigan would be available anyway so I'm with you there, I would prefer not to have Bennett simply because he's irreplaceable once he leaves.

Whilst I would like to know the boards plans and intentions going forward the problem is it is fairly evident the board not only doesn't know but also don't seem to care.

I agree that Toovey, Griffin etc. Are amongst the best options, I have nothing against rookie coaches but again it's probably the most illogical choice for us at this stage.

TruSaint

Referee
I don't think Flannigan would be available anyway so I'm with you there, I would prefer not to have Bennett simply because he's irreplaceable once he leaves.

Whilst I would like to know the boards plans and intentions going forward the problem is it is fairly evident the board not only doesn't know but also don't seem to care.

I agree that Toovey, Griffin etc. Are amongst the best options, I have nothing against rookie coaches but again it's probably the most illogical choice for us at this stage.

All good.

This is a critical time in our survival, so we MUST know what the board is doing. That comes first. Without direction we will not know who the coach will be and why such a coach is appointed.

As to Wayne, yes, he is not easily replaced, however this will be his last crack to re-ignite a club and put us on a path forward. We wont win a comp in 2-3 years, but he may well build us to a point where we can. They should then reward his stellar career by giving him an appointment as coaching director.

That way, there is no " player" bleeding after he stops coaching.

Last edited:

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I believe that Griffin would be a good fit as we need a disciplined coach. All our past premiership winning coaches like Provan, Bath and Bennett were disciplined. If you bring in a young coach you probably need a mentor which Farrar, Brown, Price and Mc Gregor obviously lacked as the stories that have come out about their decision making in some instances are concerning. Mc Gregor has been a master of the blame game for over six years.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
As a recruitment director? Sure.

As a coach? No thanks. Adam O'Brian is showing what a good coach can do with this Newcastle side right now. Browny was holding them back.

SaintPauli

Juniors
What....regularly made the semis and left the club in a wonderful position, that even Wayne Bennett acknowledged Brownies structures. (Except McGregor)
If Mary was as successfull as Brownie during the 2000s I'd be jumping through hoops. Tommorrow is D day. Forget 2 weeks.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Fitzgibbon....responsible for the Roosters defense....been in a successful system...Old Boy and lives in the area....That's who i would approach if we are talking "Old boys'.

Last edited:

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Going back to Brown would be like going back with your ex who made your life miserable because you can’t find anyone new but you’re all like...hey...at least I was having sex every now and then....even though the sex was very average.