What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs Raiders @ Campbelltown Stadium

Who will win? Round 4: Raiders v Knights

• Canberra Raiders 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aqua_duck

Coach
With Sione I think the reason he was so good as a junior was partly due to having 3 older brothers playing junior reps and first grade. He was pretty much training like a professional and in pathways programs since he could walk, that's a massive advantage to have when you're young.

Knight76

Juniors
Someone said Best doesn't look the goods last week but surely he must have changed his mind. Physically a beast already but has the intelligence of a seasoned vertern

Who on earth would have thought Best didn't look the goods last week. Geez what more does the kid have to do?

ryana87

Juniors
How is everyone watching the press conferences?.... I usually watch them on the WWOS YouTube channel, but they don't seem to be doing them anymore and the official knights page is asking for a login, which I assume is a pay wall?

Johns Magic

Referee
Someone said Best doesn't look the goods last week but surely he must have changed his mind. Physically a beast already but has the intelligence of a seasoned vertern. His try was great but his kick for the penalty try and the last minute winner was class class and some more class. Should definitely be in the reckoning for some rep footy this year.

I’m guessing you are referring to me? All I said is I want to see he has a passing game before I say he has a rep future. As O’Brien said in the presser today, Best had a junior career of running over the top of people so the passing bit comes next.

He threw a nice one for Edrick today, and his kick showed he probably has the smarts so good signs.

Johns Magic

Referee
Yep I see it as

8. D Saifiti
9. McCullough
10. Klemmer
11. Fitzy
12. Barnett
13. Ese’ese

14. Jacob
15. Glasby
16. Sione
17. Watson (Hoy/Randall)

Replying to my own post.

I actually suspect O’Brien will be keen to have at least 2 of Klem/Dan/Jacob/Herman on the field at all times for grunt.

Watson will probably be coming on as a lock when he returns. So in that lineup above Glasby becomes a bench prop.

Herman can start at 13 but it will require some juggling to keep the grunt factor on the field for all 80 minutes. In a normal world, all of Klem/Dan/Herman would get a rest between the 25-35 minute mark which would then leave our middle a bit light on as Jacob/Glasby/Watson.

So when Watson comes back. Either Glasby starts with Herman to bench(not my preference), or they will have to juggle the Klem/Dan/Herman interchanges.

That is unless I’m wrong about my grunt factor theory...

Spot On

Coach
I’m guessing you are referring to me? All I said is I want to see he has a passing game before I say he has a rep future. As O’Brien said in the presser today, Best had a junior career of running over the top of people so the passing bit comes next.

He threw a nice one for Edrick today, and his kick showed he probably has the smarts so good signs.

Plenty of centres who can not pass have played extensive amounts of rep footy. Michael Jennings to the top of the list. There are plenty of others as well.

That said, Bradman does not look to have that issue and the coach is seemingly aware it must continue to develop. His pass to Edrick was a beauty.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Yeah Im really not sitting here thinking 'can't wait to add Barney back to the pack'. For mine he's an okay backrower.
Happy with Herman in the middle.

Yep, that's where I see him as well. Not sure if other clubs see him as a must have purchase, there didn't seem to be huge interest in him before signing his last contract???

Nice reward winning a club medal but Klemmer was our standout player last year... the fact he did not get it simply showed how poor we were (as a club) off the field by the end of the season.

Johns Magic

Referee
Are we talking about Barnett or Ese’ese?

Barnett we have locked up and extended early every contract as far as I recall.

I don’t think anyone is arguing he is a superstar big name on the market. But certainly I think he is a good first-grader and will be a very valuable cog in this pack. I think he will relish the new regime/physicality, and he was one of our best in Round 1 this year.

I imagine if you asked the other 15 clubs whether they’d rather come up against Barnett or Guerra there would be a unanimous answer. Guerra is a workhorse but Barnett has much more presence creativity.

Apey

Staff member
Guerra's got to be done after this year. He's not terrible but he's getting closer to past it each game.

Old dog

Juniors
Guerra is good, a pro but on the downward, not able to match the likes of Barnett, Fritz, Fitz even Sione and Jones so he will be gone with many thanks. We will be ok without him

Knight76

Juniors
Guerra came in to the team at a great time and did what was expected of him. Never stop, run yourself to a standstill tackling which he did. We needed match experience and a workhorse to show the young players how it's done.

We are past that stage now and Guerra just isn't required. No doubt he will be gone at end of contract.

And hello Frizell.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Guerra came in to the team at a great time and did what was expected of him. Never stop, run yourself to a standstill tackling which he did. We needed match experience and a workhorse to show the young players how it's done.

We are past that stage now and Guerra just isn't required. No doubt he will be gone at end of contract.

And hello Frizell.

Agreed, we’re no longer a team of kids that relies on ageing former rep players to keep them from totally falling apart on field. We’re now a team with a number of established rep stars as well as a good solid core of genuine first grade quality players and a few talented rookies sprinkled in.

Guerra was a good buy for the club for the value that he added during a really tough rebuilding period. But we’ve got an elite second rower coming to the club next year and that means we need to turn over a couple of players to improve the roster and I can’t see Guerra staying tbh. Maybe a year or two in the super league after this to prolong his career.