What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam Clune

Old Timer

Coach
I can't remember him touching the ball
Not the first nor the last to experience Career Coaches welcome to 1st grade game plan.

I remember when Host was 1st elevated to the top grade he would be constantly running at a hole on tackle 3 or 4 only for the halves to kick prematurely or to turn the ball back inside.

Not until he adopted the battering ram approach running back into the middle was he given any ball and then when he decided to experiment with a kick to see if we could score he was quickly demoted.

Kylez3

Juniors
Game Plan:
Mary to Clune, 'just let Hunt have the call, if he sees a hole he might
pass it to you'.
Mary to Hunt, 'do your best and only pass to Clune as last resort'.
Mary to McInnes, 'serve the ball to Hunt as often has possible'.
Mary to Hunt and Clune, 'Hunt will take all the kicks in general play unliess he gets stuck and needs someone else to kake a kick'.

Well said Possum.

dannyt

Coach
Not the first nor the last to experience Career Coaches welcome to 1st grade game plan.

I remember when Host was 1st elevated to the top grade he would be constantly running at a hole on tackle 3 or 4 only for the halves to kick prematurely or to turn the ball back inside.

Not until he adopted the battering ram approach running back into the middle was he given any ball and then when he decided to experiment with a kick to see if we could score he was quickly demoted.
Correct. Useless game plans are on the coach irrespective of a dysfunctional board.

Dragon David

First Grade
You can’t expect McGregor to change his game plan in a week to accommodate Clune. He hasn’t been able to adjust it in 6 seasons.
When we had Widdop there was no winning formula designed in Mary's game plans. It took a long time for Widdop to realise this but of course he did and that helped him sway his decision to go to the Super League.

Clune has all of the ability from what I have seen of him to become a great attacking five eighth for us. He needs a lot of support and confidence building from his peers and coaching staff. This is the big problem.

Dean Pay from the Bulldogs made changes which I think will win them more games if Foran remains injury free, they have a young team that can be hard to beat. Their defence is good - well compared to ours that is.

Not to worry, losing is becoming easier to take and I certainly haven't had my blood pressure go up during the games when you are expecting a loss.

rasaint

Juniors
Didn’t see a lot of Adam Clune yesterday.

I notice he is a quick half back. First half sprinted quickly across field to cut off promising Bulldogs move when winger got overlap.

Second half flew on diagonal run before bullet pass on Jordan P chest for that close miss of try in corner. A fast NRL winger would have scored.

worth more games I reckon.

Walpole

Juniors
Clune definitely deserves an extended run in the team but as we know, that's not Dragons footy. So what happens now?

1. New position
2. 7 minutes off the bench
3. Dropped all together

denis preston

First Grade

Spot on OT.Host used to run great lines in U20 & Ressies ( off a lot of Clune passes actually ) but once in first grade....> Same as offloads BANNED !

Old Timer

Coach
Spot on OT.Host used to run great lines in U20 & Ressies ( off a lot of Clune passes actually ) but once in first grade....> Same as offloads BANNED !
Hi dp,
Hopefully some of the early news today might come to fruition and we might have a new coach by days end.

Hopefully any new coach will make a very early attempt to salvage the careers of players like Host, Lomax, Ford, Saab, Dufty and not just continue on in the shadow of Mc Fookknuckle.

That is somewhat my fear in that the coach might change but the new person in the chair also relies on the cattle currently used and makes few if any changes.

The coaching has been abysmal no doubt but the mediocrity of some of the "senior" and "preferred" players is undeniable and needs to be dealt with quickly.

getsmarty

Immortal
clu_rc1_2009.jpg

DRAGONS

Clune's growing influence sees Hunt start at hooker
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 7 Jul 2020, 06:06 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Adam Clune's growing influence over the Dragons is reaping rewards for those sharing his side of the field.

With Ben Hunt named at hooker and Cameron McInnes at lock for St George Illawarra's match against Manly on Sunday, centre Euan Aitken said Clune's growth was helping everyone around him.

Clune made his NRL debut in round four against Canterbury and his confidence has risen with each of the five matches he has played in the No.7 jersey.

During that time Hunt has been having an impact at dummy half from the interchange.

While signed as a halfback, Hunt is the incumbent Queensland hooker and has played as a bench utility for Australia because of his dummy-half skills.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor had been reluctant to move Hunt to hooker full-time as captain Cameron McInnes is regarded as one of the NRL's best No.9s. The pair have been sharing the dummy half for the last four weeks.

Hunt played 59 minutes in last weekend's 22-16 loss to Canberra, with McInnes shifting to lock, and he made 55 metres and one-line break from five dummy-half runs, as well as 37 tackles.

McInnes made 66 tackles and ran the ball for 121 metres from 16 carries, including one dummy-half run.

With Clune controlling the game at halfback, McGregor is now more comfortable about starting Hunt at hooker and he revealed last week that the move had been discussed by the club's new selection panel.

Centre Euan Aitken was full of praise for 25-year-old Clune on Tuesday.

We have changed up our attack a little bit, we are starting to get early ball to the centres

Euan Aitken on changes at the Dragons
"I have got nothing but wraps for Cluney. He is a little general," Aitken said.

"He is a great talker, he is a leader on the field and the way he has stepped into the team and is starting to lead the team around as well, he is slowly earning trust in the team."

Aitken defends on the left edge alongside Clune and they are set to be joined for the Manly game by second-rower Tariq Sims after his recovery from a thumb injury, while winger Jordan Pereira returns from suspension.

"I usually play on the right so I am starting to form a good combination on that edge with Cluney and we have got Tas coming back as well so it is going to be a strong edge there now," Aitken said.

"We haven't had too many tries down our edge in the last four games and we are just trying to improve on that. They have only scored off kicks in four games, which is impressive."

Team-mates regarded Aitken as St George Illawarra's best player in Canberra and he ran 221 metres with the ball.

The off-contract centre, who just two years ago was being touted for NSW Origin selection, revealed the Dragons had changed their attacking style since Clune took over at halfback.

"We have changed up our attack a little bit, we are starting to get early ball to the centres and that is what you want," Aitken said.

"In past games, early on [this season] and at the back end of last year. we just weren't as fluent in attack and it was a lot more stagnant so sometimes the ball wouldn’t get out there and I wouldn’t even touch the ball in good [position] or in transition to attack.

"Having Cluney there, I am getting a bit more clean pill and that allows me to get one-on-one with defenders and I back myself each time with that because I feel like I am a strong player."

The Sea Eagles will again be missing star fullback Tom Trbojevic and five-eighth Dylan Walker due to injury, while prop Addin Fonua-Blake has been suspended.

Despite those absences, Aitken said halfback and captain Daly Cherry-Evans was still a danger.

"They are obviously missing Turbo which is a big loss for them but they have still got a crafty half in Cherry-Evans so we have got to be on, especially as he is on our side on the left edge," he said.

"If we can nullify his attack I think we will go a long way towards winning."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/07/clunes-growing-influence-sees-hunt-start-at-hooker/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty makes Clune pitch
Dragons Den
r0_0_4462_3549_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Adam Clune is hoping to return against the Roosters. Picture: NRL Imagery

IT rebooted his side's season and Dragons coach Paul McGregor looks likely to revert to the same formula next week with the anticipated return of halfback Adam Clune from concussion against the Roosters next week.

Clune left the park early against Cronulla in round 11 and didn't return after failing an HIA. With a five-day turnaround into Thursday's clash against the Rabbitohs, the call was made to sit him out. McGregor said Clune is likely to be recalled, fitness pending, which wold see Ben Hunt revert back to dummy-half after playing in the No. 7 on Thursday.

Clune certainly has fullback Matt Dufty's vote, with livewire fullback crediting his longtime junior teammate for his own form resurgence through the middle stretch of the season.

"Hopefully he's back, I thought he was doing a great job for us since coming into first grade, he's grown every week," Dufty said.

"I've know Cluney since year six and we've played a lot of footy together, we now each others' game inside out. I love playing with Cluney, he loves playing with me, and I just feel a lot more comfortable when he's on the field with me.

"Its not taking anything away from Hunty and Normy, I love playing with them to, but the amount of games I've played with Cluney... it's hard to take that combination away when it's available.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6859057/dufty-makes-clune-pitch/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
clunea-200620_sd_04.jpg

MEDIA RELEASE

Clune makes 2020 NRL academic team of the year
Author
NRL Media Release NRL Media
Timestamp
Sat 14 Nov 2020, 08:01 AM

The NRL and the RLPA have announced the 2020 Academic Team of the Year, celebrating the academic achievements of the game's stars.

Included in this year's Academic Team of the Year is the first player in the fulltime professional era to complete a Master's Degree while still playing, Gold Coast Titans' Anthony Don. There are six other current players undertaking a Master's program.

Don was awarded the "2020 Academic Male of the Year", while New Zealand Warriors' Kirra Dibb took out "Female of the Year" honours.

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo congratulated all the players named in the Team of the Year, along with all players who have furthered their education in such a challenging environment.

"This year's Academic Team of the Year will be remembered as one of the most disciplined and determined,'' he said.

"Our squads have been in a biosecurity bubble all year but the commitment of these players to continue to further their studies during the pandemic is a remarkable achievement.

"As a game we are very proud to have around 100 players who have completed or are completing tertiary degrees and a further 100 who are completing traditional trades. Rugby league is about teamwork, communication, discipline and focus. When you combine those skills with the study a significant portion of our playing group is doing, our players are well prepared to enter the workforce after their career.

"We'll continue to invest heavily in the education and wellbeing area to ensure our players are prepared for life after rugby league."

RLPA Chief Executive Clint Newton said education should always be a priority for the game.

"We congratulate the academic achievements of these individuals, who are rightfully being celebrated for their continued engagement in career development, despite the many challenges season 2020 has placed before them," Mr Newton said.

"We need to continue supporting and championing players, investing in their future by prioritising education and professional development."

NRL Wellbeing & Education Manager, Paul Heptonstall said of 550 contracted players, 93 current NRL players have completed or are completing a University Degree, while seven players are doing a Masters degree, through 32 different universities.

A further 106 players are completing traditional trades while a total of 610 VET qualifications have been achieved by all the Players.

"We have 84 percent of players currently engaged in career development," Mr Heptonstall said.

"We have long believed, and it is backed up by research, that players who further their education are more likely to succeed on the field.

"It is also pleasing to see some of our most successful Clubs off the field as some of the most engaged Clubs with their off-field development and education."

2020 NRL Academic Team of the Year
  • Rhys Kennedy (Completed Bachelor of Exercise Science and Cert III in fitness, University of Wollongong)
  • Connor Tracey (Completed a Bachelor of Accounting and Financial Services, currently completing a Post Grad Cert in - Chartered Financial Analyst, CFA Institute)
  • Anthony Don (Completed a Masters of Business Administration 2020 & Completed a Bachelor of Education 2011, University of New England)
  • Christian Welch (Completed a Bachelor of Commerce and currently completing a Masters of Business, University of New South Wales)
  • Jayden Brailey (Currently completing a Bachelor of Exercise sports Science, Australian Catholic University)
  • Jake Granville (Currently completing a Carpentry Apprenticeship and Diploma of Business Management & Hospitality)
  • Reed Mahoney (Completed Cert IV in Business, Education Support & III & IV Fitness and Diploma in Business, currently completing a Bachelor Sport Business, Australian College of Physical Education)
  • Adam Clune (Completed a Bachelor of Laws-Bachelor of Commerce (Finance) with distinction, University of Wollongong)
  • Euan Aitken (Completed a Cert IV in Fitness, currently completing a Bachelor of Exercise Science and Completed a Cert IV in New Small Business, University of Wollongong)
  • Nat Butcher (Completed Diploma in Business & Cert IV in Small Business Management, currently completing a Bachelor of Business Administration, Australian Catholic University)
  • Matt Ikuvalu (Completed Certificate III in fitness and Cert IV in Community & Recreation, currently completing a Bachelor of Teaching (Honours), University of Newcastle)
  • Alex Twal (Completed a Bachelor of Commerce (2020) & Cert III in Fitness, Australian Catholic University)
  • Kirra Dibb (Currently completing a Bachelor of Applied Science - Exercise Physiology, University of Sydney)

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/11/14/clune-makes-2020-nrl-academic-team-of-the-year/