What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Willow

Assistant Moderator
McGregor survives: Dragons opt against sacking coach at board meeting

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has surprisingly been granted a stay of execution after the club called an emergency board meeting on Tuesday morning to discuss his future.

Dragons directors reacted to Monday afternoon's dismal showing against Canterbury by organising a video conference to discuss the coach's future.

The Herald has been told by sources close to the meeting that the club decided against sacking the under-siege coach, despite the club slumping to a humiliating fourth straight loss to open the season.

The Dragons board was originally scheduled to meet next Tuesday, however the club's dire predicament forced officials to contemplate parting ways with the coach as early as today.

The Dragons are the only team in the NRL not to win a game this season, and haven't scored a try since the competition resumed two rounds ago, losing to cellar dwellers the New Zealand Warriors and Canterbury Bulldogs in consecutive weeks. The Dragons play the Sharks and Titans over the next fortnight.

McGregor, who is in his sixth full season as Dragons coach, is on a contract until 2021 on a deal worth around $750,000 a season, and would have received close to a $1m pay-out if the club decided to end his tenure.

More: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/mc...o-discuss-coach-s-future-20200609-p550q4.html

ViceVersa

Juniors
Paul McGregor future: Dragons shock as coach survives

Michael Carayannis, Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph
June 9, 2020 12:19pm

Paul McGregor has survived as St George Illawarra coach.

McGregor’s future was discussed at an emergency board meeting called by Dragons directors on Tuesday morning.

Amid pressure from fans and members, Saints’ board elected against axing McGregor despite the club’s 0-4 start to the 2020 season.

It is understood the club would have been forced into a $1m payout to oust McGregor.

Frustration at the club’s awful performances – which included finishing 15th last season – reached a crescendo after a 22-2 loss to fellow strugglers Canterbury on Sunday.

McGregor won just one finals game in his six-and-a-half seasons in charge of the famous club. He is though just four games into a new two-season extension.

The Dragons board was due to meet on June 16 but were forced to bring forward their discussions after Sunday’s horror loss.

It would have cost the club between $1.6m to $1.8m to sack and replace McGregor.

St George Illawarra is running dead last on the NRL competition table and hasn’t scored a try in 81 days.

Those close to the club are adamant senior players – including Ben Hunt, James Graham, Paul Vaughan, Corey Norman, Tariq Sims and Tyson Frizell – must share the blame and responsibility for McGregor’s demise.

Hunt and Norman are filling $2m a year in the club’s salary cap.

Earlier, close friend and former Blues teammate Laurie Daley indicated he would tell McGregor to walk away from the position.

“If I’m looking at Mary (McGregor) now and he asked me that, I know what I’d have to say to him,” Daley said on the Big Sports Breakfast on Tuesday morning.

“I would say mate, it’s not working. You seriously need to consider your position.

“I look at you now and you’re not the same person. It looks as though it’s getting to you. Do you need the stress in your life?”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/9781aaecaec274832561d9d49572299b

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
giphy.gif

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The contempt the board show for the fans is astonishing, talk about being able to read a room.

Make no mistake this is purely a penny pinching exercise by the Gordon's. no crowds, no hit to gate revenue. Sack him at the end of the year to save $ compared to a payout now. Purely a financial cost benefit analysis. Assholes, not sure about anyone else, but i am fkn furious.
It’s even worse they got our hopes up. They should have not called an emergency meeting for that what a waste of internet bandwidth.

RedVDave

First Grade
F[_]CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It is understood the club would have been forced into a $1m payout to oust McGregor.

Anyone looking for a reason don't need to go much further than that. They don't care if we end up with the wooden spoon. Shouldn't be surprised.

mickeylane

Bench
Trust me 2 more losses will do it...there is no f**king way the joint will survive 2 more losses - the pressure on the club and Mcgregor is at a true boiling point. He will either step down from the pressure or the board will make him quit and negotiate a payout...because he won't be receiving $1M that's for sure..

18to87

First Grade
This is as bad as each of the semi-final losses in the last decade.

Anyone looking for a reason don't have go much further than that. They don't care if we end up with the wooden spoon. Shouldn't be surprised.
Don't we have an angel investor somewhere? Someone who helped pay Bennett? Someone call him PLEASE

Dragon66

Juniors
If McGregor stays in charge at least we will be on track tp get our first title in several years. The Wooden Spooners. Looks like i'll have to continue holding back on rejoining the club for another 12 months.
What a shambles of a club. Anyone expecting a great revival under McGregor would have to be totally delusional and divorced from reality. I watched Monday's game totally devoid of expectation and, sadly, i got exactly what i expected. Nothing with this team has changed in the last four years except the players have finally decided that there is no longer any point in following a gameplan that relies on the opposition playing badly to forge out a win. Even when we were winning we still weren't playing well. So over it but I'm a loyal Dragons fan so i'm not going anywhere. It's going to be a tough 2020 having to continue to listen to McGregor's smooth talk as he continues accept responsibility but deflect to every other excuse he can find because he "works" so hard. Give me break!!!!!!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Dragons are the only team in the NRL not to win a game this season...

Can someone remind of the last time we actually won a game?

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
The Gordon's, can't or won't? They had the ideal opportunity to show their intent and willingness to move forward with a strong message. They failed miserably, guess their millionaires for a reason. They only see this NRL franchise as a possible money making venture, obviously.
They would be pretty stupid to not see the team as a money making venture don’t you think?

RedVDave

First Grade
I've decided to sack the club until Mary is gone I won't be watching anymore games it's not worth the stress I won't be buying anymore merchandise or attending any events I bleed red & white! The board don't care at all, I'll always be a loyal fan but this is my silent protest bugger it!

Latest posts