What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saints are completely f**ked - McGregor sacked

I really can’t believe you would defend what he has done with Lomax or the player development in general. He should’ve saved Lomax from himself before they wasted an entire offseason on a move most people had serious doubts about.

There is no excuse for the dragons to not be producing nrl players every year. Your most talented juniors get held on the fringe Of the squad and shuffled around different positions and in and out of grade for years.

I’m defending that he isn’t the sole reason the club is in its hole right now. We produce loads of players but you can’t have all of them in the 17 each week. Some cut it, some don’t. But at the moment no one in that team - apart from McInnes in my opinion - is even near the standard needed.

Everyone needs to have a look at themselves in the club, top to bottom.

Everyone had to ask themselves what they can do to lift their own standards, and the standards of the team as a collective.

Everyone is accountable for their own attitude and actions. And how that impacts the team.

That team has little (if any) attitude, spirit, heart, aggression, or any of the attributes a successful NRL team needs. And I’m sick of it. It actually disgusts me.

But I’m not putting it all on the coach. To me that’s a simple target. Dragons fans have been howling at coaches for years to be sacked, or blaming them for all of our woes. Brown, Bennett (after he left) Price, now McGregor.

McGregor has a lot to answer for and a lot of weight on his shoulders to try and pull this team out of where they are. Rightly so, that’s what he’s paid to do. But that team also needs to take responsibility for itself - coz not even a Bennett, Gibson, Gould, Ryan could get this limp excuse of a team winning again if they keep playing with their bottom lips dragging on the ground.

Last edited:

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Kinda feel for Mary here on a human level. Hooper and Co are coming for him just as hard as they went after Latrell in the off season. Just won't relent.

Is that you Mary?

Seriously though, there is a lot of “what ifs” and “could haves” with both of our lists. But the way I see it, the lack of development of one junior can point to an issue with the player.

When it is universally shithouse that’s on the coach.

In the past 5 years we have not successfully developed one player who consistently plays NRL and owns their position. Not one. And that is despite winning the interstate championship in that time.

I can’t think of another club where that is the case.

Mate my hairline is heading toward his but that’s about where the similarities end.

As for no NRL players through him... yes agree from juniors through to senior level there’s not many/if any who stayed the distance and established themselves. However some who’ve been brought to the club have done it in spades. 6 players have made it to origin level from the Dragons during McGregors time coaching them.

Vaughan, Sims, De Belin, Hunt, Norman, Frizell.

And Cameron McInnes would be there too if not for Damien Cooks selection (rightly too IMO).

Anyway enough of debating..

I hear you, and a lot of other fans of the club. Whether we disagree on a few things, some “whys” etc... it’s all opinions on a club we care so much about. I think what we all agree on is that where this club is at right now is about as further from acceptable as it gets.

Had a spiel in reply to someone before. Basically I believe every single person in that club needs to be accountable for their own actions - look at their own standards and honestly answer to themselves what they need to do personally to be the best they can be, and what they can do to lift the standard of the team as a whole.

The coach is a big part of that. But to me it’s not just him, it’s every single person in that club. Players, support staff, management, the board.

I hate where we are. Like others I can have theories why etc. But in the end unless everyone in that club is honest with themselves, stops looking at the next bloke to blame or to save them, they’ll sadly be doomed to the same results.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
After the dragons pumped us in the 2018 finals on our home ground Bennett should have resigned. He didn’t. Therefore he has no honour or balls regardless of what his new missus tells you.

Mary is no different. Only in it for the money and he’s not on his pat malone there. f**ken disgraceful from both of them.

One difference is Bennett got some results but they’re a distant memory now and that’s how it’s gonna stay

grouch

First Grade
After the dragons pumped us in the 2018 finals on our home ground Bennett should have resigned. He didn’t. Therefore he has no honour or balls regardless of what his new missus tells you.

Mary is no different. Only in it for the money and he’s not on his pat malone there. f**ken disgraceful from both of them.

One difference is Bennett got some results but they’re a distant memory now and that’s how it’s gonna stay
Bennett ensures his clubs are f**ked after he leaves
McGregor ensures his club is f**ked while he's there

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Bennett ensures his clubs are f**ked after he leaves
McGregor ensures his club is f**ked while he's there

Mary hasn’t left yet but the bar is extremely low. May have to get brown back to make things worse than they are now but he’s going to have his work cut out

grouch

First Grade
Mate my hairline is heading toward his but that’s about where the similarities end.

As for no NRL players through him... yes agree from juniors through to senior level there’s not many/if any who stayed the distance and established themselves. However some who’ve been brought to the club have done it in spades. 6 players have made it to origin level from the Dragons during McGregors time coaching them.

And Cameron McInnes would be there too if not for Damien Cooks selection (rightly too IMO).

I hear you, and a lot of other fans of the club. Whether we disagree on a few things, some “whys” etc... it’s all opinions on a club we care so much about. I think what we all agree on is that where this club is at right now is about as further from acceptable as it gets.

Had a spiel in reply to someone before. Basically I believe every single person in that club needs to be accountable for their own actions - look at their own standards and honestly answer to themselves what they need to do personally to be the best they can be, and what they can do to lift the standard of the team as a whole.

The coach is a big part of that. But to me it’s not just him, it’s every single person in that club. Players, support staff, management, the board.

I hate where we are. Like others I can have theories why etc. But in the end unless everyone in that club is honest with themselves, stops looking at the next bloke to blame or to save them, they’ll sadly be doomed to the same results.
The people that said Dragons fans are the funniest on this forum are right. This is f**king hilarious

Do you have any idea how many times Paul McGregor has blatantly blamed other people in the organisation for the failings of the team under his watch? hahaha

Dragons 09

Juniors
It’s got to be about money
Things were bad before, but with covid it just made it worse
They want to sack him but just can’t afford it

Of course it's about money, if the tight ass merkins sack him now, they don't get to collect the $1,500 JobKeeper subsidy for him.......f**ken maggots!

The people that said Dragons fans are the funniest on this forum are right. This is f**king hilarious

Do you have any idea how many times Paul McGregor has blatantly blamed other people in the organisation for the failings of the team under his watch? hahaha

unsurprising coming from you. How’s that bat soup coming along?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
When you're at the point you want the sharks to 50 on you for the sake of club, you must be close.

BennyV

Referee

Why would anyone in that club take an honest look at themselves and take accountability? That’s not our way.

That starts at the top - the Board of Directors is accountable to no one. I’m not sure how the WIN side work, but the St George side is self-appointed from the Leagues Club Board, and in order for any new board members to be elected it has to be done through a fully-paid 5 year membership and only then can be voted after 3 years of membership. And the Reason that this system is in place is because last time there was a surge to try and vote leagues club board members out, a ‘balloting Mishap’ meant that a whole lot of votes were mysteriously lost and the result was the current coward members remaining in place.
They are untouchable, unaccountable and answer to no one.

Goes a step further to the old CEOs - Peter Doust was the longest running CEO in the NRL and despite a small window of success between 2009-2011, he was not held to account for his failings in any way by anyone because HE WAS ON THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS!
Brian Johnstone also had a quick reign, during which time he re-signed a coach with a single finals win and average ladder position of 10th on a $600-800k deal with no KPI or performance clauses AND oversaw the lowest ladder finish in JV history, but he was allowed to quietly step aside at his leisure. Not held to account because he elected himself as CEO from the BOD, where he was Chairman! And his time as Chairman saw us sell half the club to the family of another board member for less money than was being offered by a professional sports administration company.
But like his predecessor, BJ was untouchable, unaccountable and answered to no one.

We then look across the football staff, notably Ian Millward who has assembled a roster filled with underperforming, overpaid former rep players and reserve grade throw offs from other clubs. Put into this position with low experience and poor past results because his father was on the board of directors. Untouchable, unaccountable.

Then the coach, who has achieved the lofty heights of an averages 10th place finish, such grand records as worst attacking start to a season, biggest loss at Kogarah, lowest finish in JV history, and longest losing streak in JV history, not to mentioned filtering through no less than 15 different support staff throughout his horrific tenure, yet through all that is given the undying and everlasting support of his mates on the board of directors. Untouchable, unaccountable.

Seems the only people being held to account are the likes of Dufty, Saab, Sailor, Lomax, Host, Ford - the young players that the coach is meant to be developing into first graders, yet get dropped at the first sign of trouble.

So why would/should anyone make themselves accountable when the culture of the club is to protect yourself first, throw anyone and everyone else under the bus and deflect blame wherever possible? Why should the players ‘take a long, hard look at themselves’ when every level above them has no intention of doing the same?

I would love for the board to be wiped and replaced, but that wont happen. I’d love for the newly appointed CEO to be given enough control to show we he can do with the place such that he lives (and dies) by his own decisions and not the nepotism at board level, but it wont happen. Realistically, the best the fans can actually hope for is that much of the football staff is replaced by some competent operators and the TEAM (not the club) can rebuild some identity and winning culture so the fans can enjoy some success. And while there are many steps that would need to follow, those changes start with replacement of McGregor and Millward.

big hit!

Bench
The thing is no one at the Dragons wants to accept responsibility or pay the price. The Gordon family don't want to chip in financially to pay off Marys contract, while the board members should resign for agreeing to that extension.

No one wants to bite the bullet.It seems like they only care about their own self interests first, and therefore leave the club and fans a distant second.

fans are emotional. they don't control the funds. they think clubs sit on a pile of cash. just want wins on the weekend, doesn't matter what it costs.

execs are logical. they're employed to make decisions and keep the club operating. they see the funds, or lack of. they need to balance the financials with the performance of a football team.

betcats

Referee
fans are emotional. they don't control the funds. they think clubs sit on a pile of cash. just want wins on the weekend, doesn't matter what it costs.

execs are logical. they're employed to make decisions and keep the club operating. they see the funds, or lack of. they need to balance the financials with the performance of a football team.

Yep extending Marys contract last season was very logical. If you dont think emotion and bias clouds execs decision making you are kidding yourself. They are supposed to be logical, but quite often in RL they are not. They hire their mates and clubs legends etc, every club does it to an extent. Jobs for the boys.

Why would anyone in that club take an honest look at themselves and take accountability? That’s not our way.

That starts at the top - the Board of Directors is accountable to no one. I’m not sure how the WIN side work, but the St George side is self-appointed from the Leagues Club Board, and in order for any new board members to be elected it has to be done through a fully-paid 5 year membership and only then can be voted after 3 years of membership. And the Reason that this system is in place is because last time there was a surge to try and vote leagues club board members out, a ‘balloting Mishap’ meant that a whole lot of votes were mysteriously lost and the result was the current coward members remaining in place.
They are untouchable, unaccountable and answer to no one.

Goes a step further to the old CEOs - Peter Doust was the longest running CEO in the NRL and despite a small window of success between 2009-2011, he was not held to account for his failings in any way by anyone because HE WAS ON THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS!
Brian Johnstone also had a quick reign, during which time he re-signed a coach with a single finals win and average ladder position of 10th on a $600-800k deal with no KPI or performance clauses AND oversaw the lowest ladder finish in JV history, but he was allowed to quietly step aside at his leisure. Not held to account because he elected himself as CEO from the BOD, where he was Chairman! And his time as Chairman saw us sell half the club to the family of another board member for less money than was being offered by a professional sports administration company.
But like his predecessor, BJ was untouchable, unaccountable and answered to no one.

We then look across the football staff, notably Ian Millward who has assembled a roster filled with underperforming, overpaid former rep players and reserve grade throw offs from other clubs. Put into this position with low experience and poor past results because his father was on the board of directors. Untouchable, unaccountable.

Then the coach, who has achieved the lofty heights of an averages 10th place finish, such grand records as worst attacking start to a season, biggest loss at Kogarah, lowest finish in JV history, and longest losing streak in JV history, not to mentioned filtering through no less than 15 different support staff throughout his horrific tenure, yet through all that is given the undying and everlasting support of his mates on the board of directors. Untouchable, unaccountable.

Seems the only people being held to account are the likes of Dufty, Saab, Sailor, Lomax, Host, Ford - the young players that the coach is meant to be developing into first graders, yet get dropped at the first sign of trouble.

So why would/should anyone make themselves accountable when the culture of the club is to protect yourself first, throw anyone and everyone else under the bus and deflect blame wherever possible? Why should the players ‘take a long, hard look at themselves’ when every level above them has no intention of doing the same?

I would love for the board to be wiped and replaced, but that wont happen. I’d love for the newly appointed CEO to be given enough control to show we he can do with the place such that he lives (and dies) by his own decisions and not the nepotism at board level, but it wont happen. Realistically, the best the fans can actually hope for is that much of the football staff is replaced by some competent operators and the TEAM (not the club) can rebuild some identity and winning culture so the fans can enjoy some success. And while there are many steps that would need to follow, those changes start with replacement of McGregor and Millward.

Benny - I'm with you on this.

Well - I believe that's what they absolutely all need to do.

Latest posts