What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Follow another Team

boardlumps62

Juniors
Obvious case of schadenfreude.
I had to look that up but no wrong. I'm actually a St George supporter since a kid when Cassius Clay was a boxer and we listened to NSW State v Qld State on Radio and Ronald Ryan was hanged in Victoria. Don't take this to heart anyone.

smi962

First Grade
And you reckon I'm having a sook FMD.

So if you think that some of those people don't think the Dragons are dead and they are now almost forced to suffer the Illawarra / Steelers mentality and whilst looking at that option question how they can have any ongoing loyalty then you are sadly mistaken.

So it was the Illawarra mentality that won us our first premiership in 31 years; I will have to thank them for that. Or has the Illawarra mentality only taken over since 2010? was it the St George mentality in 2010? And how about in the mid 2000's, was that Illawarra or St Geroge mentality? or was it a little of both. St Geoge when we won and Illawarra when we lost. I am confused.

Old Timer

Coach
So it was the Illawarra mentality that won us our first premiership in 31 years; I will have to thank them for that. Or has the Illawarra mentality only taken over since 2010? was it the St George mentality in 2010? And how about in the mid 2000's, was that Illawarra or St Geroge mentality? or was it a little of both. St Geoge when we won and Illawarra when we lost. I am confused.
Indeed you are confused just like muzby
The conversation is/was about where we have descended to in the here and now.
The mediocrity we endure today is “A” typical of how Illawarra conducted itself for almost the entire time it existed until it ultimately failed.
That mentality now predicates the entire club.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think I need a dollar for every time old timer mentions my name..

I could pay out Mary’s contract..

Dragon David

First Grade
Indeed you are confused just like muzby
The conversation is/was about where we have descended to in the here and now.
The mediocrity we endure today is “A” typical of how Illawarra conducted itself for almost the entire time it existed until it ultimately failed.
That mentality now predicates the entire club.
How the mighty has fallen. The marriage between St George Dragons and the Illawarra Steelers hopefully will end up in the divorce courts one day with settlement and alimony paid out to free the Dragons of despair and abuse.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I had to look that up but no wrong. I'm actually a St George supporter since a kid when Cassius Clay was a boxer and we listened to NSW State v Qld State on Radio and Ronald Ryan was hanged in Victoria. Don't take this to heart anyone.
Pretty sure Muhammad Ali didn't want to be called Cassius Clay., he once referred to it as his "slave name" - after he said this, sections of the media would continue to taunt him and call him Cassius.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Pretty sure Muhammad Ali didn't want to be called Cassius Clay., he once referred to it as his "slave name" - after he said this, sections of the media would continue to taunt him and call him Cassius.
He wasn't Mohamad Ali when I was a St George supporter. Are you related to my friend the Orange?

RedVDave

First Grade
I spoke out in anger and frustration yesterday after losing to my most hated team and making them look like the Melbourne Storm. The only silver lining was maybe the coach would be sacked after another inept performance by a lowly placed team alas it wasn't to be and I vowed not to bother with St George this year, whilst my heart won't be fully into it I have decided to stand by them and whilst preparing for the worst I'll also hope for the best, coming into these Forums and seeing many others feel the same way I do is very good stress relief, I look forward to reading everyones thoughts and opinions as the year goes on.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
He wasn't Mohamad Ali when I was a St George supporter. Are you related to my friend the Orange?
Nor was he known as Muhammad Ali when I first started following St George. But by the mid-1960s I heard he didn't like being called Cassius Clay, so decided that was his choice. I was too young to know why I thought that, but nowadays I think it was just a simple matter of respect.

I don't know your "friend the orange". Have you spoken to anyone else about this?

boardlumps62

Juniors
Nor was he known as Muhammad Ali when I first started following St George. But by the mid-1960s I heard he didn't like being called Cassius Clay, so decided that was his choice. I was too young to know why I thought that, but nowadays I think it was just a simple matter of respect.

I don't know your "friend the orange". Have you spoken to anyone else about this?
I like that story Willow it takes my mind off the problem at the Dragons.
Now the orange is another matter. He needs to realise I have Red and White eyes especially after crying in my beer after those dismally performances.

boardlumps62

Juniors
I spoke out in anger and frustration yesterday after losing to my most hated team and making them look like the Melbourne Storm. The only silver lining was maybe the coach would be sacked after another inept performance by a lowly placed team alas it wasn't to be and I vowed not to bother with St George this year, whilst my heart won't be fully into it I have decided to stand by them and whilst preparing for the worst I'll also hope for the best, coming into these Forums and seeing many others feel the same way I do is very good stress relief, I look forward to reading everyones thoughts and opinions as the year goes on.
One more shit display I think Mary is gone. Did you see the look on Vaughn's face plus a few others. These players have no heart I've played games and was flogged week in week out just to keep the club alive. The young bloke are watching.

Old Timer

Coach
He actually went from Cassius Marcellus Clay to Cassius X and then later after adopting Islam he became Mohammad Ali.

There is a play "one Night In Miami" which depicts the night the young 22 year old Cassius beats Liston for the title and then meets with Malcolm X, the great entertainer Sam Cooke and NFL great Jim Brown in a "Jim Crow" style hotel to celebrate his victory and discuss the civil rights movement.

Interesting that Cooke and Malcolm X were both dead within 2 years and Brown walked away from the NFL at the height of his career.

Blood&Bandage

Juniors
Can the club survive without supporters?

I love my team, but as the saying goes, ‘if you love something, set it free.....’

I’m voting with my feet. I haven’t renewed my membership and I won’t be going to games.

What’s worse, my boys who were into the Saints... couldn’t give a rats arse anymore. To their defence, they have only known Paul McGregor’s reign.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Ok hope you have my point I have been following The St George Dragons a long time.
So as a lot of supporters are wondering where is the white jersey with the Big Red V.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I like that story Willow it takes my mind off the problem at the Dragons.
Now the orange is another matter. He needs to realise I have Red and White eyes especially after crying in my beer after those dismally performances.
What does the apple say?

Dragons4me

Juniors
No can do. It's Dragons for me (see my name) or nothing. It's why at age 53 I sat with tears of joy rolling down my cheeks at the 2010 GF. I'm not even sure if my wife fully understands.