What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madge The Myth ?

gordsy

Juniors
Over the course of 2019 and so far 2020 he's been near on our best player and has been MOTM for both of our wins this year. He closed out both of those wins perfectly. As for his D, he has more of a dig than the majority of halves, sure he might not be as technically sound but he has definitely improved in that area. Take a look back at that game on Sunday and you'll find that he aint the reason why we lost. Other individuals that have not been dropped made crucial errors in that second half that resulted in us losing.
I didn't say he was the reason why we lost but his defense is still shit and players don't fully trust him.
As for him being one of the better tackling halves. Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Tiger05

First Grade
I thought Douehi was really ordinary, caught out of position and number of times and just didn’t bring the ball back hard enough. I think he is a good player but his game against the coast was not good

I didn't see that. I reckon he is bringing the ball back really well plus he is an option in attack. The kick for Nofo's try to me summed up his game. He has the ability to create something.

The unknown

Juniors
I thought Douehi was really ordinary, caught out of position and number of times and just didn’t bring the ball back hard enough. I think he is a good player but his game against the coast was not good

Jeez I thought without AD we probably get flogged. Only guy that looked like half creating something

agree his positioning in defense could be better but it’s obvious to me he gets better each game

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Has an Mbye issue.

AD should be the centre, Thompson the fullback.

Brooks has to step up now.

Fordy20

Juniors
Jeez I thought without AD we probably get flogged. Only guy that looked like half creating something

agree his positioning in defense could be better but it’s obvious to me he gets better each game

100%. His crossfield kick for Nofo's try was a perfect example. Marshall and Brooks got tackled doing nothing and were lucky to get the ball away. Then in comes AD, pops the perfect kick across field for Nofo to snatch out of the air and score.

The unknown

Juniors
100%. His crossfield kick for Nofo's try was a perfect example. Marshall and Brooks got tackled doing nothing and were lucky to get the ball away. Then in comes AD, pops the perfect kick across field for Nofo to snatch out of the air and score.

100% mate. I don’t think he’s perfect atm...but he’s had a few good plays and shown more creativity than our halves. Just wish he was faster

gordynz

Juniors
I didn't say he was the reason why we lost but his defense is still shit and players don't fully trust him.
As for him being one of the better tackling halves. Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
I'm not saying that's what you thought but that's obviously what Madge thinks hence why he dropped him. I also never said he was one of the better defending halves I said he has a more of a dig than most, meaning he actually chucks his body in front and has a go. Look if the team is really worried about Benji's defense more so than the other areas, then we have a huge problem.

gordynz

Juniors
I'm hindsight, the times AD was caught out of position were on the last tackle where we had defended them quite well resulting in shitty little kicks back on the inside. Something he'll learn over time but also something we shouldn't be worried about.

Positives on him were his strong carries out of our own end, he was very safe under the high ball, chimed in when he needed to and offered a third kicking option when needed.

WA Tiger

Bench
Every player has an off day but with the 6 on his back Benjis bad days stand out like dogs balls...It would be good if we had a half back that could kill it when Benji has an off day.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
I'm hindsight, the times AD was caught out of position were on the last tackle where we had defended them quite well resulting in shitty little kicks back on the inside. Something he'll learn over time but also something we shouldn't be worried about.

Positives on him were his strong carries out of our own end, he was very safe under the high ball, chimed in when he needed to and offered a third kicking option when needed.

The problem with AD being caught out of position is that you can't cover the whole field. No fullback does that either.

It's the same type of issue that Nofo has in that he gets blamed for every try that gets scored on his side.

Sometimes you just get put into bad positions.

I do jiu-jitsu and one comment that used to be stated when you were getting choked or whatever is "you f**ked up a long time ago". Sure you might make a mistake and it may need improvement but the best option is not to get caught in that position in the first place.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Every player has an off day but with the 6 on his back Benjis bad days stand out like dogs balls...It would be good if we had a half back that could kill it when Benji has an off day.
I’d like to c AD & Benji as the halves.We need to find a gun fullback coz to optimise AD’s value to the team we need him at the scrumbase where he will handle the ball more.

Our backline is so average that AD is currently our best option at fullback a position that he has played for a short time he’s also our best centre option & he’s our best option at the scrumbase.He was a quality 5/8 in the Balmain juniors & he has game awareness that Brooks is devoid off & which has taken Benji 16 yrs to reach a basic level of game management

Tiger05

First Grade
Ted - I reckon our backline has improved significantly. We also have good middles and good edge players. I also think our halves are okay.

The comp isn't easy. Look at the Saints team. They have plenty of quality players there and they are crud.

I sort of feel the pressure is on Madge to get these guys to perform. Maybe he will be moved on and we get a coach who works with the players better after he has cleaned the joint out for us.

WA Tiger

Bench
I’d like to c AD & Benji as the halves.We need to find a gun fullback coz to optimise AD’s value to the team we need him at the scrumbase where he will handle the ball more.

Our backline is so average that AD is currently our best option at fullback a position that he has played for a short time he’s also our best centre option & he’s our best option at the scrumbase.He was a quality 5/8 in the Balmain juniors & he has game awareness that Brooks is devoid off & which has taken Benji 16 yrs to reach a basic level of game management

Original and I like it.. ...Theres certainly a fullback whose probably perfect for the new laws waiting in the wings ...

Madge thinks he’s going to give Benji a kick in the pants then he will come right and all fixed...but there’s a game against Canberra to deal with yet and “spot the weak link” could go into overdrive...

The spotlight is on Brookes big time...

Shredder

Juniors
So a question. if "Madge is a myth" and if he is really under pressure, who would be hire to replace him?

Personally I think hes one of the top coaches in the NRL and we are more than lucky to have him.

Who would be better that WOULD MOVE?

I don’t have an issue with Madge and there doesn’t seem to be a SuperCoach hanging around waiting to take over, but the continual one out option in attack for the full 80 minutes doesn’t tire out any opposition defence and along with a piss weak bench doesn’t do our team any favours.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
All good teams build around an effective spine. Ours is, and has been for a long time, made up of 'not sure's'.

Fullback- ever since Tedesco left WT have not really had a 100% certain fullback player, mostly multi role players.

5/8- Reynolds / Marshall mix for a couple of years now, mostly Marshall with Reynolds out for periods of time injured or in reserve. Now Walters in mix too. Marshall should always have been a fill in to help the next, new 5/8 for the club. 2020 season is progressing with no real idea yet on who will be the 2021 5/8 player.

Halfback- has always been Brooks but has holes in his game, can go missing, just cant ever seem to grab a game by the scruff of its neck and own it, nor does he really seem capable of driving the WT team. Where is the understudy to put pressure on his place in the team? Do we ever search for an alternate halfback?

Hooker- Maguire succombed to pressure and played Farah when he shouldn't have in the last game last season. His assumed understudy Liddle has a bad record of injury and in 2020 we are covered by the loan of Grant from Melbourne but where we will be next season is unclear but atleast we have options in Liddle / Simpkins and possibly Grant but I cant see him being allowed to stay by Melbourne.

Forwards- Maguire is changing the forward squad with an emphasis on youth and size.

Backs- our wingers are outclassed in size and enthusiasm by just about every other team. Our centres can hold their own though. We get Momo back next year and with him pretty good goal kicking.

Goal Kicking- reasonable but.....

Tactical kicking- abysmal.

Maguire is changing the squad as he can, WT are still hampered by long term, expensive, not overly useful contracts- Reynolds, Packer, Mbye and even Brooks. End of this season there are some 7 players off contract (a reasonable number in terms of squad turnover), I can only see 1 or 2 of those players getting an extension offer, which leaves room for new faces. Our perennial problem remains having players to want to play here at WT for reasonable money.

Coach- Maguire has till end of 2021 season. I'd still be tempted to offer 2 year extension now to see the remodelled squad and its results.

Last edited:

Perth Tiger

Bench
Hooker- Maguire succombed to pressure and played Farah when he shouldn't have in the last game last season.

??? Really, Farah wasn't going to play at all and the only reason he got a game was because of the injury in the warm up to Thompson I think. Don't know how that was succumbing to the pressure?

Edit. The rest of what you said is pretty spot on though

Last edited: