What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fans see nothing but red ...

boardlumps62

Juniors
It does have a design motif to it, but it might be too subtle for tv. I don't mind it, as far as alternate jerseys go. If we must have one, it's not bad

nrl_001-stgi20-3d-alternate_jersey-mnsfront_de3a20dd-063f-458b-a537-70cef2e984bd_1024x1024-png.38951
That's crap

boardlumps62

Juniors
We got to get over the jersey and the saints vs Illawarra rubbish none of this has anything to do with our current predicament

All that stuff is nothing but white noise

It's been 20plus years

If we were winning or being competitive / if we could see some light at the end of the tunnel this wouldn't even be discussed
The Red V on white is distinctive it represents the Dragons and history. If Illawarra don't like too bad

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
All red including shorts and socks. Trying to make us look like Liverpool. It’s pretty obvious some High up knucklehead likes Liverpool.

the day this club decides to not wear the red V or change the emblem, I’m out.

These merkins are making it easier each week to want to give up on the team and not watch footy ever again.

St Tangles

Bench
The Red V on white is distinctive it represents the Dragons and history. If Illawarra don't like too bad
They might say the same to us

In 2010 we had a red alternate jersey and we were winning these petty debates never came up

Yes it's distinctive and we should wear it wherever possible but the alternate jersey is not one of our clubs biggest issues

Please forgive if this has been addressed in a previous thread that I might have missed ...

What's with this year's alternative strip? All red. No hint of a motif, stripe or pattern of any kind.

Don't get me wrong, a solid monotone strip can be powerful. All Blacks, England and Wales in RU. This is hard to replicate in NRL uniforms however when they are plastered in lettering, sponsors and logos. Even the Mighty Reds of Liverpool throw their fans a bone with a pin stripe here or there.

At the risk of over-doing the importance of a kit, there have been studies done on the perception of club identity through uniform linked with performance. The All Blacks binned the grey kit they used immediately after bombing out of one World Cup. Alec Ferguson ordered a grey second Man U kit be scrapped mid-season after the team recorded a string of losses wearing it.

Don't buy into the performance link too much. The change kit Saints wore in 2010 was an abomination.

But at the same time don't fans deserve a bit better? Wonder if this is another symptom of the current malaise the club has brought on itself. Lack of identity, excitement, passion, creativity, ideas. It's evident in the kit as much as it is in the style of play. It hardly screams 'rush out and buy me' to fans which I understood to kinda be the whole point.

Know I'm not the only supporter disappointed in the way the club undersells the great colours, tradition and symbology of the club. St George and the dragon. There are crosses, vees, dragons, hoops. They have been on the right track in recent years but have taken massive strides backwards with this year's model.
Club song has no reference to "Dragons". Our club was always known as "The Saints".
Hate our red strip. Means nothing to many fans.
Why bastardize the most recognized brand in Rugby League history?
Small minded, self professed marketing gurus ruining our heritage and our identity.

possm

Coach
Please forgive if this has been addressed in a previous thread that I might have missed ...

What's with this year's alternative strip? All red. No hint of a motif, stripe or pattern of any kind.

Don't get me wrong, a solid monotone strip can be powerful. All Blacks, England and Wales in RU. This is hard to replicate in NRL uniforms however when they are plastered in lettering, sponsors and logos. Even the Mighty Reds of Liverpool throw their fans a bone with a pin stripe here or there.

At the risk of over-doing the importance of a kit, there have been studies done on the perception of club identity through uniform linked with performance. The All Blacks binned the grey kit they used immediately after bombing out of one World Cup. Alec Ferguson ordered a grey second Man U kit be scrapped mid-season after the team recorded a string of losses wearing it.

Don't buy into the performance link too much. The change kit Saints wore in 2010 was an abomination.

But at the same time don't fans deserve a bit better? Wonder if this is another symptom of the current malaise the club has brought on itself. Lack of identity, excitement, passion, creativity, ideas. It's evident in the kit as much as it is in the style of play. It hardly screams 'rush out and buy me' to fans which I understood to kinda be the whole point.

Know I'm not the only supporter disappointed in the way the club undersells the great colours, tradition and symbology of the club. St George and the dragon. There are crosses, vees, dragons, hoops. They have been on the right track in recent years but have taken massive strides backwards with this year's model.
I'd like to see the white jumper with the big red V used for as many games as possible. Our alternate jumper could be a red and white horizontal striped jumper.

We no longer have the Illawarra Stealers Club as our partner in the NRL so no need for the Stealers jumper.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Personally I would like it if they adopted a modern version of these Steelers jerseys to use as an alternate. I am a sucker for a collar on a jersey as well

images

images

We got to get over the jersey and the saints vs Illawarra rubbish none of this has anything to do with our current predicament

All that stuff is nothing but white noise

It's been 20plus years

If we were winning or being competitive / if we could see some light at the end of the tunnel this wouldn't even be discussed
Your last statement is the most poignant but it is also the reason for the "white noise".
JV has been a flop in terms of results. That's why there is so much discontent.
We (the fans) were promised a "Super Club" (like Melbourne for example) and other than our inaugural year and 2010, we have not lived up to the hype.
Factional fighting, new private owners who have contributed nothing so far, 8 years + of low quality coaching and compromises.
We have to admit it that we are a basket case compared to someone else's vision of what we should be.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the white jumper with the big red V used for as many games as possible. Our alternate jumper could be a red and white horizontal striped jumper.

We no longer have the Illawarra Stealers Club as our partner in the NRL so no need for the Stealers jumper.
That makes sense.
At least the striped jersey has some meaning and connection with our heritage.

possm

Coach
Your last statement is the most poignant but it is also the reason for the "white noise".
We (the fans) were promised a "Super Club" (like Melbourne for example) and other than our inaugural year and 2010, we have not lived up to the hype.
Factional fighting, new private owners who have contributed nothing so far, 8 years + of low quality coaching and compromises.
We have to admit it that we are a basket case compared to someone's vision of what we should be.
So the answer is to restructure the SGI club to one which has a maximum membership of 50,000 members and one that is publicly listed.

The Board should make 50% of the current shares (valued at 5 million), available to registered members. As a promotional measure, on registration as a member (fee $100), you receive 10 shares. A member can buy up to a limit of 1000 shares. This promotion will last until all 5m shares are sold or up until 30 June 2023.

Members will have the right to vote at the AGM for items placed on the agenda, including Board membership. Each share will constitute one vote.

St Tangles

Bench
We have to admit it that we are a basket case compared to someone's vision of what we should be.
No arguments here but it's not the Jerseys that are our issue
We have been mismanaged by those at the top and have not moved with the times