What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WIN Corporation

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
A bloke sat .. fiddled whilst rome burned and got his dad to buy him the ashes as a play thing ...
The govenance to vote mates over professionalism at that Steeler level is borderline criminal but very much corrupt. IT is symptomatic of a club that in 20 years achieved nothing.

St George's board is f**ked as well but i stand by the fact that they actually have ambition to be better without the brains to know how to achieve it.
Rufus I normally have a lot of time for your posts, but the fact you’re pushing that barrow makes me think you’re off the mark on this one..

piesplusreturns

Juniors
You mean to say the sooner St George go back to stand-alone the sooner they join the Canterbury Cup..

You know, the way things are, I'd support it.

The hill at Kogarah every second weekend with full strength beers. That's the whole reason I started supporting them anyway.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The club is in turmoil- this is not an overnight development- it's been brewing as we all know for years- the media are gleefully reporting on SGI supporters ditching their memberships- this is the time that Andrew Gordon as the Chair and figurehead of the club should be addressing supporters directly rather than mouthing platitudes to the media that the Board values loyalty and supports the coach. Everyone knows it's BS and based on contractual obligations- and is ultimately unsustainable.

In my opinion therefore, Gordon has "squibbed it". He has gone MIA when as Chair of perhaps the most famous and passionately supported club in the Rugby League world he should be reaching out to the fans. Ironic isn't it that a media guy feels so uncomfortable communicating.
I do love how ‘fans’ turn on people in the club when they feel they’ve been disrespected..

Given they didn’t sack Mary, what would you have preferred him to do? Put out one official message from the club and then a different one to the fans?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You know, the way things are, I'd support it.

The hill at Kogarah every second weekend with full strength beers. That's the whole reason I started supporting them anyway.
Newtown are probably getting bigger home crowds now than when they were in the top grade..

TruSaint

Referee
We need to get an outsider to buy Win out and go back to St. George as a stand alone entity
Wasn’t there talk once that the owner of the Sydney Kings were interested in buying Win’s share.
It is amazing that Rugby Australia is a mess but it has been reported that some investment company is interested to finance the game.
The sooner we dump Win and go back to our roots the better we will be off
Will it happen....".. NO

WIN's financial involvement is only just over 1 year old.
Dont know what the other mob would have done. Never will.

Roy Masters in 2018 said...

" The Dragons are entitled to boast they have been the only enduring successful joint venture of the three formed at the end of the costly and brutal Super League war when the number of clubs was to be cut initially from 20 to 14.

Unlike the shotgun marriages of Wests Tigers and the short-lived Northern Eagles combination of traditional enemies Norths and Manly, the union of St George and the Steelers was a wedding where each partner had what the other wanted.

St George had history, while Illawarra had geography.

The usually successful Dragons were backed by its Kogarah-based licensed club but surrounded by an increasingly ageing, non-traditional rugby league demographic, while the Steelers had a rich nursery of talent but little money and tradition.

The not-negotiables in the original wedding vows of St George Illawarra – colours (red and white), emblem (Dragons) and location (St George and Wollongong) – will remain."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/br...e-in-st-george-illawarra-20160419-go9jzs.html

Old Timer

Coach
I do love how ‘fans’ turn on people in the club when they feel they’ve been disrespected..

Given they didn’t sack Mary, what would you have preferred him to do? Put out one official message from the club and then a different one to the fans?
How about a message explaining exactly why Mc Fookknuckle hasn't succeeded to date and what it is he will be doing to garner success in the future and why the board believe that it will work this time.

After all surely that is the reason he was retained rather than all the cliche shit about solidarity in the face of adversity.

In board meetings I have ben involved with with public companies and clubs the CEO's / GM's etc have to convince board members of their well explained and highly detailed plans in order for it to get acceptance and ultimately implementation.

Maybe IYO it is a bit too much to ask of our people?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
How about a message explaining exactly why Mc Fookknuckle hasn't succeeded to date and what it is he will be doing to garner success in the future and why the board believe that it will work this time.

After all surely that is the reason he was retained rather than all the cliche shit about solidarity in the face of adversity.

In board meetings I have ben involved with with public companies and clubs the CEO's / GM's etc have to convince board members of their well explained and highly detailed plans in order for it to get acceptance and ultimately implementation.

I think you need to read between the lines of the club statement.

He won’t be there next year.

Will be lucky to be there by the end of this year.

I also think you need to re-read the question I asked.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Spot on OT- for most Dragons members/fans, Gordon is invisible and we are treated like mushrooms. Paul Kent remarked on NRL 360 that Gordon wasn't "media savvy" and I found that incredible for a media tycoon. But the evidence is there- I for one wouldn't know him if he stood in front of me and I'm sure that there are many others who wouldn't recognise him either.

So familiarization would be one of the aims of the exercise of reaching out directly to the fan base. Another aim would be reassurance. The Gordons have a reputation (and rumours persist unless they're directly addressed) for frugality. If Gordon were to assure fans that the Board would spare no expense- and that means players, coaching staff- the whole box and dice- in ensuring that SGI returns to the top of the table and they have a plan for that- watch this space - I can't say I'd be happy- but it gives me hope for the future.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Spot on OT- for most Dragons members/fans, Gordon is invisible and we are treated like mushrooms. Paul Kent remarked on NRL 360 that Gordon wasn't "media savvy" and I found that incredible for a media tycoon. But the evidence is there- I for one wouldn't know him if he stood in front of me and I'm sure that there are many others who wouldn't recognise him either.

So familiarization would be one of the aims of the exercise of reaching out directly to the fan base. Another aim would be reassurance. The Gordons have a reputation (and rumours persist unless they're directly addressed) for frugality. If Gordon were to assure fans that the Board would spare no expense- and that means players, coaching staff- the whole box and dice- in ensuring that SGI returns to the top of the table and they have a plan for that- watch this space - I can't say I'd be happy- but it gives me hope for the future.
Out of curiosity, how much did we hear from the chairman when Doust was ceo?

We heard diddly squat from BJ, but
operational matters are for the ceo..

How about we give Webb enough time with his feet under the table and let him handle that..

Saint Pedro

Juniors
WIN would be bleeding money I would think in this day and age. People are watching online stuff, especially the younger generations. Advertising is down through the pandemic and the shows on WIN are not something I ever watch. Only the local news every now and then and the panel sometimes. Does anyone tune in much? Since the footy deal didn’t work out, there is not much on for me.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Out of curiosity, how much did we hear from the chairman when Doust was ceo?

We heard diddly squat from BJ, but
operational matters are for the ceo..

How about we give Webb enough time with his feet under the table and let him handle that..

Well- these are exceptional circumstances-We're at the bottom of the ladder and we've played the easy teams so it's going to get worse- Eddie McGuire wouldn't be hiding and leaving it to his newly appointed CEO if Collingwood was bottom of the ladder and bleeding members, merchandise sales, gate attendance (already one of the worst in the NRL and probably going to drop thru the floor) and all the other financial ingredients a club needs. As far as I know the St George half of the JV has never finished last at any point in their history, so Mary may be about to achieve an unwanted distinction.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
He is not media savvy and he is not business savvy that’s for sure

He is riding on his daddy’s coattail and the only thing he is known for to date as a business man is signing over authorities for some guy to draw 10 million bucks from the Win account and spending gambling. All this time Andrew has no idea what he had signed. And you wonder why we are in this predicament

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Well- these are exceptional circumstances-We're at the bottom of the ladder and we've played the easy teams so it's going to get worse- Eddie McGuire wouldn't be hiding and leaving it to his newly appointed CEO if Collingwood was bottom of the ladder and bleeding members, merchandise sales, gate attendance (already one of the worst in the NRL and probably going to drop thru the floor) and all the other financial ingredients a club needs. As far as I know the St George half of the JV has never finished last at any point in their history, so Mary may be about to achieve an unwanted distinction.
I’m confused. Whilst I get that they should have sacked the unsackable potato on Tuesday, I’m not sure what kind of response you were seeking? Yes, it was corporate codswallop but it’s not the chairman’s role to be advising the media about operational matters.

And in regards to your final point, st George have won the wooden spoon 3 times.

I’m confused. Whilst I get that they should have sacked the unsackable potato on Tuesday, I’m not sure what kind of response you were seeking? Yes, it was corporate codswallop but it’s not the chairman’s role to be advising the media about operational matters.

And in regards to your final point, st George have won the wooden spoon 3 times.

The fourth is well and truly on the way

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
For the record the CEO will merely action the decisions of the board

the poor bastard doesn’t stand a chance.
In a well run organisation they don’t...

The CEO handles operational issues, the board provides governance and makes sure the company is heading in the right direction so that...

hmmm..

**re-reads the first five words of this post**

f**k.

getsmarty

Immortal
  • Opinion
    'Their only ambition is to be there': Dragons savaged by ex-premier
    f3d0dacee5b0179c7b5b04391b595375649f0c4d

Andrew Webster
    Chief Sports Writer
    Send via Email

Former NSW Premier and Member for Hurstville Morris Iemma, however, captured the mood perfectly when he picked up the phone.

“It’s a club whose only ambition is to just be there,” Iemma told me. “Meanwhile, other clubs are competing for premierships. It’s a simple betrayal of what the Dragons should stand for. We’ve become a symbol of mediocrity.”

Iemma has been a devout fan of the Red V for more than 50 years. As a boy, he stood on the hill at the SCG for the 1975 grand final and watched his beloved Saints get flogged 38-0 at the hands of Eastern Suburbs.

What isn’t commonly known is how Iemma also fronted a group interested in buying Illawarra’s 50 per cent stake in the club in mid-2018 after Bruce Gordon's WIN Corporation had walked away from negotiations in April that year.

8212eda646dd5b70d7ce966514a9d7c6284da8ff

McGregor will remain in charge for the match against Cronulla on Sunday.Credit:Getty

Iemma was chairman of the Southern Expansion bid for an A-League licence. Apart from featuring an all-star cast that included former Socceroos Craig Foster and Craig Johnston, the bid was backed by Chinese property giant JiaYuan Group to the tune of a whopping $17.5 million. In cash. Sitting in a bank account. Ready to roll.

When Football Federation Australia rejected the bid, the group turned its sights on other sporting franchises. Iemma was given authority to approach then-Dragons chief executive Peter Doust, who was looking for a private investor to buy Illawarra’s share of the joint venture.

Iemma declined to comment any further on what happened next, let alone divulge the size of the bid, citing commercial confidence. But we’re pretty sure we’ve seen this movie before.

As revealed in this column last year, Sydney Kings owner Paul Smith and his company Total Sports and Entertainment had offered no less than $12 million to buy out the Steelers’ share.

Smith was led to believe his offer was close to being accepted. It’s understood Southern Expansion felt the same way. Suddenly, though, the Gordons were back in the room and a deal was quickly done.

Nobody knows what the Gordon family stumped up and, given the typical veil of secrecy at the Dragons, nobody will ever say.

The figure rumoured at the time was $10m, but sources close to negotiations reckon it was far less. This column was this week told that WIN Corp wrote off some of the joint venture’s debt to the NRL but question how much cash, if any, was stumped up.

McGregor given stay of execution by Dragons owner Gordon
It’s been said that WIN patriarch Bruce Gordon, 91, doesn’t share the same enthusiasm for the club as son Andrew, 49, who was appointed chairman.

Yet here the 91-year-old media mogul was on Tuesday morning, calling into an emergency board meeting via Zoom, in the wake of the Dragons’ 22-2 loss to the Bulldogs.

When the Gordons met with former NRL boss Todd Greenberg in 2018, they talked about their desire to invest, to build, to turn the Dragons into the mega-club one of the most recognisable brands in Australian sport should be.

That was music to the ears of long-suffering fans. How does a club with such a proud history, with such a strong brand, splutter along as it has for 20 years, save for that glorious sliver of time when Wayne Bennett delivered a premiership?

As Smith has said before, the Dragons should be the New York Yankees of Australian sport. Instead, since the club's restructure, it has slid further into ordinariness.

It has shed staff, cut costs and found itself in a situation so dire it can't sack coach Paul McGregor because it doesn’t have the money to sack Paul McGregor.

Actually, let’s correct our own misreporting here: the club has the money, it just doesn’t want to spend it.

A cursory glance of St George Leagues Club’s annual reports for the past three years tells the story. In 2017, it contributed $2.5m to the joint venture. In 2018, that was cut to $1.7m. In 2019, it dropped to $500,000. But it has $19m in cash reserves, which is up from $15m the year before.

WIN Corporation is privately owned but, according to the Australian Financial Review’s annual Rich List, Bruce Gordon has an estimated worth of $702m.

Just how much the Dragons would have to pay McGregor to get him out of the building is up for debate, although $1m appears to be the accepted figure of his settlement.

Either way, it would be a significant payout because he’s only four matches into a fresh two-year deal after the board inexplicably re-signed him after five matches last year.

8b3c930d2745fe6cec5d0dbaaa344d8ea90acc09

The Dragons hit rock bottom against the Bulldogs on Monday.Credit:Getty

So, instead of moving on the coach, despite the horror start to the season, despite winning just two of their last 17 matches - both of which were against the Titans - with young players wanting out of the club, with the joint in crisis, the Dragons did a very Dragons-like thing ...

They did nothing.

“We are committed to Paul as coach of the St George Illawarra Dragons and look forward to seeing him right the wrongs of the opening month of the current campaign,” Andrew Gordon said in a lukewarm statement on Tuesday.

Rather, McGregor is being afforded the opportunity to right the board’s wrongs in re-signing him.

What frustrates the Dragons faithful isn’t so much the losses as not having a say in the club’s direction. Unlike most other clubs, members do not have voting rights because the joint venture is a private entity.

The cliché is that it remains a “boys’ club” and it’s hard to disagree. It's never been more evident than in recent years.

The WIN Corp deal was facilitated by then-chairman Brian Johnston, who, as part of the deal, replaced Doust as chief executive. After all those years of looking at "Oust Doust" signs on the hill, the one who ousted Doust was Doust.

Then, earlier this year, Johnston resigned just 18 months into the role. Who replaced him on the board? Doust, of course. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Now, fans genuinely fear for the future of their club. The old rumour about the Dragons merging with fierce rivals Cronulla often gains traction in times like this, and it’s certainly been getting a run this week.

You would hope such a move was never on the table but, unless there is a fundamental change in the way St George Illawarra operates, those drums will start beating louder.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...ns-savaged-by-ex-premier-20200611-p551me.html

Well done Mr Webster.

HenryTatana

Juniors
“It’s a club whose only ambition is to just be there,” Iemma told me. “Meanwhile, other clubs are competing for premierships. It’s a simple betrayal of what theDragons should stand for. We’ve become a symbol of mediocrity.”

No news here for the well informed but it’s great to have another good news story in the press.

Morris would have been the ideal CEO. He gets it.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes the mongrels are merely playing the same tune as always - ‘ here we go around the mulberry bush , the mulberry bush , the bluudy mulberry bush ‘ .

The money is there , the coach must go , pay him out and allow the Dragons to breathe some fresh air . It is an absolute disgrace that they have no intention of doing the correct thing and by continuing in that stance are literally tearing the Joint Venture to pieces .

Similar to the rouge corporate raiders who prowl upon and take full advantage of companies that are trading on a knife- edge . They swoop in , pay the minimum possible amount and then proceed to strip the business of all its assets , ever so similar to a pack (?) of vultures .

Now that information has come to light over the last 2 weeks or so , it would appear that each entity in the J.V. and including WIN and the Gordon’s are as guilty as one another . They are , as a collective group responsible for the downfall of what was once the best rugby league teams in the world .

That team is not only St.George Illawarra , but also the great Saints teams of a bygone era , as that Club emblem is what the Gordon’s and WIN cooperation most desired , it was once worth its weight in gold - but no more . You can call the team anything you wish , but that emblem with the image of St.Geoge and the Dragon is priceless to we the fans .

However the fans have not been forgotten - as we were never thought of in the first instance in the take over . As I have said earlier , each part of the venture is as guilty as the other , perhaps some more than others , but I suppose that we will never know the full details of the of the initial proposal put to both St.George and the Illawarra clubs by the WIN Corp. - and just what Bruce Gordon proposed to the NRL with his one on one meetings with the then CEO Todd Greenberg is anyone’s guess

What each of us should be fully aware of , is that should this dismembering of the Dragons continue unabated , then we shall be no more .

Last edited: