What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

magpie_man

Juniors
I would for a service that included RL from around the world, NRL and some decent shows. Reality is I'm about to switch to Kayo and only watch NRL and F1 so basically paying that now.

IF Fox is only paying $125mill a year then that would equal 520,000 subscribers at $20 per month.
IF Fox are paying $200mil a year its 835,000 subscribers
Advertising would more than cover production costs.

Heck yeah. If they had some other good NRL content, like Sterlo's interviews and Vossy's show, I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a donut.
Throw in some NSW & Qld Cup and even some overseas stuff and I'd be biting at the bit.
I am a bit of an outlier though because RL is the only sport that I'll watch consistently.

Perth Red

Post Whore
See if you can guess who I am?
Lol no
There's no reason to take a reduction ....( I hate PVL & will continue to rant about how bad he is no matter what he does) .
There's nothing different now going on in the world to 6 months ago.
He was bent over by his mates at Fox
We should have gone to court( with little $$ to fight)
Afl good NRl bad
Afl good
Afl good
I will rant about the deal even though I don't know the realities of the $$ .
I will rant about what happened in the discussions even though I dont know what happened .

you need to get a hobby lol

Nerd

Bench
AFL can’t guarantee new TV deal before season restart but confident it will eventually get done
The AFL is yet to pen a new TV deal with broadcasters less than a week before the season reboots but league boss Gillon McLachlan can’t guarantee if it will happen in time.

Lauren Wood, Michael Warner, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
June 5, 2020 6:38pm

FOXSPORTS1:30
AFL still hopeful for crowds

AFL: With the restarted 2020 schedule being finalised, the AFL is going to as many lengths as possible to ensure the return of the season is as smooth as possible.

similars

Gillon McLachlan has declared “there’ll be no problems” in securing a revised broadcast rights deal.

But the AFL boss couldn’t guarantee that it would happen before next Thursday night’s season reboot between Collingwood and Richmond.

The Herald Sun revealed that the AFL was in danger of failing to secure a deal with broadcaster partners Channel 7 and Fox Footy before the restart, and that discounts were also being sought for 2021 and 2022.

The prospect of an extension for 2023 and 2024 is also uncertain.

“The various parties are nowhere near a deal on that,” the insider said.

“The game has changed in the media world and peak sports rights are five years ago, really.”

Networks are pushing for a reduction of about $150 million – from $417 million – on their 2020 payments.

The AFL will need to shift its position in the coming days if the breakthrough agreement is to be reached.

McLachlan refused to be drawn on the details on Friday, but said he was confident that a deal would get done.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet-icon.svg

Basketball is back on Foxtel with the NBA and NBL Foxtel Now 10 day free trial*

2df19b41735814678ea11c8be9add771

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan is confident a TV deal can be done. Picture: Getty Images
“I’m not going to talk about broadcasting, other than to say we’ve got agreements in place,” he said.

“We’ll be kicking out of the blocks on Thursday, we have got great relationships with all our broadcasters.

“We’re working through the impact of this season and I don’t think anyone should worry about it too much.”

Rival code NRL, which kicked off last weekend, struck a deal with Fox Sports and Channel 9 for its adjusted 2020 season one day before play restarted on May 28, with its Fox deal extended until 2027.

Insiders say the NRL has adopted a far more pragmatic approach to the negotiations.

“The AFL are keen to get back, but they have been typically transactional and I don’t think have the same pragmatism about the profitability of media companies,” an insider told the Herald Sun.

When asked if a deal would be done before next Thursday night, McLachlan said: “I don’t know”.

“We will get there, because we’re long term partners and we’ll work through it,” he said on ABC Melbourne radio.

“There’ll be no problems.”

72264d0318f2dff33a50f42e8ca0edcb

Club chiefs are bracing for cuts in TV revenues of 15 to 20 per cent. Picture: Michael Klein
Clubs and the AFL Players’ Association will be closely watching the outcome of talks with the league yet to finalise next year’s football department soft caps and player wages.

Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett – a member of the league’s coronavirus cabinet – told the Herald Sun that it would be “essential that we get a good price” to ensure further flow of funds to clubs, which could also have its soft cap figure impacted, amid the crisis.

“If there is a reduction, every dollar it is reduced by will impact on the code,” Kennett said.

“Not only this year, but it will have a flow-on effect next year, because of the borrowings that the AFL will have to undertake.”

Reports on Monday that Seven and Foxtel had withheld payments to the AFL were incorrect.

The league received a full payment last December and again in mid-March, meaning broadcasters have forked out two instalments for a single round of football.

The next payment is due in July.

SUBSCRIBE TO THE SACKED PODCAST HERE

An AFL commission subcommittee, including McLachlan, former News Corp boss Kim Williams, Paul Bassat and Robyn Bishop, is leading the league’s negotiations.

Seven this week announced it was dumping its Monday night and Sunday morning footy review programs because of savage costs cuts, while Fox Footy and Kayo subscribers have been lost during the season shutdown.

Broadcasters are also concerned they have no clarity on the AFL fixture beyond Round 5, while a decision has not been made on what date or time of day the Grand Final will be played.

Rival code NRL, which relaunched its season last weekend, has already locked away an extended new TV rights deal.

Before the coronavirus, the AFL pocketed an average of $417 million a year in TV rights as part of a six-year, $2.5 billion deal with Seven, Foxtel and Telstra that expires at the end of 2022.

Google, Facebook and Amazon are not considered serious players in the race for the AFL’s broadcast rights.

Club chiefs are bracing for cuts in TV revenues of 15 to 20 per cent.

News Corp is a parent of Foxtel and the publisher of the Herald Sun.

CURRENT SIX-YEAR AFL TV RIGHTS DEAL
FOXTEL $1.3b

CHANNEL 7 $900m (includes $60m contra)

TELSTRA $300m

TOTAL $2.5b

AVERAGE ANNUAL PAYMENT
FOXTEL $217m

CHANNEL 7 $140m (plus $10m contra)

TELSTRA $50m

TOTAL $417m

REVISED 2020 DEAL
WORST CASE 50 per cent payment — $208.5m total, $108.5m from Fox, $70m (plus $5m contra) from Seven, $25m from Telstra

TOTAL LOSS $208.5m

BEST CASE 75 per cent payment — $313m total, $163m from Fox, $105m from Seven (plus $7.5m contra), Telstra $37.5m

TOTAL LOSS $104m

MORE AFL NEWS:

AFL MISSES BOARD AS NRL WINS TV RIGHTS REBOOT

HOW DID COMETTI PRODUCE CLASSIC ONE-LINERS?

ROOS EXPLAIN WHY THEY SACKED COACH

michael.warner@news.com.au

TE="T to the T, post: 14136291, member: 12399"]Anyone has access to the News Corp rags?

AFL faces cash crunch as big TV rights deal in limbo
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...o/news-story/1c7a9912eadf5bad063177a4def71c31

AFL misses the board as NRL wins TV rights reboot for 2020

https://www.noosanews.com.au/news/afl-misses-the-board-as-nrl-wins-tv-rights-reboot-/4030218/[/QUOTE]
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...o/news-story/1c7a9912eadf5bad063177a4def71c31

taipan

Referee
See if you can guess who I am?
Lol no
There's no reason to take a reduction ....( I hate PVL & will continue to rant about how bad he is no matter what he does) .
There's nothing different now going on in the world to 6 months ago.
He was bent over by his mates at Fox
We should have gone to court( with little $$ to fight)
Afl good NRl bad
Afl good
Afl good
I will rant about the deal even though I don't know the realities of the $$ .
I will rant about what happened in the discussions even though I dont know what happened .

You've got me stumped, no one who has any sort of love for rugby league ,would openly make those comments every waking hour.The code at times deserves a kick up the Kyber Pass, that I concede, including my own club.

Would it be Peter FitzD*ck?
John O'Neill(Union will be no 2 winter code )?
Jeff (I can knit underwater) Kennett?
Mickey Carlton I'll back my mate Fitz'?
Bill Pullover who famously stated playing in Capetown is better than playing in Campbelltown?
Spiro Zavos from the Rah?
The AFL sycophants of the Offsider's or The Project?

So many to choose from, so little time.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Pay TV has more then one thing on it. Hence why Fox went so hard for Cricket. To try and keep those sports customers when there was no NRL or AFL on

Binge is for those that only want the shows and not movies. It like Netflix will
Spread out the new content across the year. An NRL only streaming has no new content between Oct-March and as such would lose money then

That's why they will tie it in with Binge, just like pay TV but cheaper. They'll also push hard to get AFL.

Kayo and Binge, nice contract until 2027. Plenty of time to bed it in and get those subscribers.

you need to get a hobby lol
Lol
I'm not the one who has intense hatred for a bloke who has done so much for RL in a short time
I'm not the one constantly criticising the media deal even when I don't know the details
I'm not the one who has totally ignored the effects of a world wide pandemic not just on the NRL but just about every sport in the world .

Lol you need a hobby that doesn't consist of hating everything about one man

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol
I'm not the one who has intense hatred for a bloke who has done so much for RL in a short time
I'm not the one constantly criticising the media deal even when I don't know the details
I'm not the one who has totally ignored the effects of a world wide pandemic not just on the NRL but just about every sport in the world .

Lol you need a hobby that doesn't consist of hating everything about one man

play the ball not the man

T-Boon

Coach
Even if the AFL don't take as big of a hit as NRL did it is still a fact that V has won the last 4 months and is a guy we need to keep in charge.

taipan

Referee
According to today's Australian :page 5 re "AFL getting back on the field" by Courtney Walsh & John Stensholt.-
"Yet while the AFL leaders are sanguine,there is a lot of financial pain to come.The league faces a $240m drop in revenue this year."
Bear in mind, I take this does not allow for the cuts expected in renegotiating their Tv deal. Thus if V'Landys was supposed to have bent over on his Tv deal, one could argue Gil and Co may be saying how low do you want me to bend?

franklin2323

Immortal
Allegedly it costs seven $20mill to produce 4 afl games a week in a fully national competition.
What makes you think it would cost nrl $100million for an 8 game east coast comp?

How much to add the Fox games to it?

4 games a week is one a day.

Lets look at Saturday 3 games you need 3 producers etc not just one. So costs go up

LeagueXIII

First Grade
And that's why Fox went hard for the HBO library. As i said they have until 2027 to get it sorted and they will adapt.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
According to today's Australian :page 5 re "AFL getting back on the field" by Courtney Walsh & John Stensholt.-
"Yet while the AFL leaders are sanguine,there is a lot of financial pain to come.The league faces a $240m drop in revenue this year."
Bear in mind, I take this does not allow for the cuts expected in renegotiating their Tv deal. Thus if V'Landys was supposed to have bent over on his Tv deal, one could argue Gil and Co may be saying how low do you want me to bend?

Good, hopefully one positive out of all this is that RL starts to get some favourable treatment from the media after 20 years of death riding the sport.

We've helped them out greatly, unlike AFL, so we should now be the favoured child.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How much to add the Fox games to it?

4 games a week is one a day.

Lets look at Saturday 3 games you need 3 producers etc not just one. So costs go up

id be surprised if you’d cant do all production for under $50mill a year given you’d have economies of scale in producing all eight games.
I know when the nrl come to Perth they use a local company for production, probably can do same in other cities and suspect seven do same otherwise they’d be flying crews all over the country every day. Then a Central studio to do the shows which isnt silly money.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
AFL have secured a deal:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-secures-revised-broadcast-deal-20200611-p551nc.html

AFL secures revised broadcast deal
Zoe Samios and Jake Niall
June 11, 2020 — 7.33pm

The AFL has secured a revised broadcast rights deal with partners Seven West Media and Foxtel just moments ahead of the return of this year's season.

Free-to-air broadcaster Seven and pay TV operator Foxtel were finalising the deal in the hours leading up to Thursday evening's Collingwood v Richmond kick-off and have agreed to a reduction on this year's payments based on a reduced 153-game season and finals.

29360b34f6315250a282795fd127b4ea9349ba32

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan has secured a new deal with broadcasters Seven West Media and Foxtel.CREDIT:AAP

The parties have been renegotiating the terms of the existing $2.5 billion six-year contract, which was secured by Foxtel, Seven and mobile rights partner Telstra and expires in 2022, after the coronavirus pandemic shut down the season and caused losses in advertising and subscription revenue for the broadcasters.

The Age reported that the AFL was on the verge of securing a two-year extension of its television rights deal with Seven last week in exchange for a cost reduction on its existing deal, but that Foxtel was holding out on an extension for a larger discount.

Seven will receive a discount of about 19 per cent and an $87 million net benefit between 2020 and 2022. It has also secured a two-year extension on "improved terms".

Chief executive James Warburton thanked AFL boss Gillon McLachlan for their commitment to the broadcasters.

"The AFL and Seven are a core part of each other’s DNA, and we are delighted to have not only reached a revised agreement for the current contract term, but to have extended our relationship for a further two seasons taking the agreement through until the end of 2024," Mr Warburton said.

The broadcaster was expected to pay about $150 million to the AFL this year, with production costs of about $20 million, but they will be smaller this season due to the inability of talent to fly interstate and reduced staff on site during matches.

Industry sources indicated Foxtel, which is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp and Telstra, will save as much as $30 million on this year's deal, which will alleviate some of the financial pain caused by the pandemic. However, the broadcaster will not announce an extension.

The deal has enormous ramifications for the 18 clubs and players since it provides more than 60 per cent of the game's revenue in normal circumstances and far more during the crisis.

Seven's revised arrangement will provide further financial relief to the broadcaster, which has been cutting costs to offset severe advertising decline caused by the pandemic. The company, which is trying to reduce its $541.5 million net debt pile, recently sold its magazines arm for $40 million, its West Australian headquarters for $75 million and axed a large number of roles.

Foxtel has lost a large number of subscribers due to the suspension of sport and had been trying to renegotiate to receive compensation for the loss of sponsors and subscribers. The company has stood down more than 200 staff and axed more than 300 jobs in the last few months.

Media executives have previously public argued that they have overpaid for sport, which is consider a loss making piece of content due to the production costs they incur in addition to rights fees.

Foxtel, which contributed about $1.3 billion to the AFL deal in 2015, believes it overpaid, sources previously said.

According to news:

The report claims Seven and Foxtel are expected to receive a combined reduction of around $200 million over the next three AFL seasons.

Seems like the numbers are getting pretty close between NRL and AFL.