What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rank the Brisbane bids

The Great Dane

First Grade
Queanbeyan Blues still exist & I can't find any reference to them creating or owning Raiders. License granted to group 19 comp.
I think you went 0 for 3
That's because you don't know a damn thing that you are talking a about lol.

Here read this- https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=22094

As I said, they were the Queanbeyan Blues in all but name. Started out in Queanbeyan as a Queanbyan blues initiative, the Raiders main backer was the Queanbeyan Leagues club (same one that supports the Blues), first administration, coach, staff, pretty much all Blues, Les McIntyre was the clubs founder for f**k sake!

Here's a good way of putting it, the Blues don't technically own the Raiders, but the same people that own the Blues also own the Raiders.

BTW, I'm 3 and 0, they are all, undeniably, examples of what I was talking about. But like always you are incapable of admitting when you were wrong and f**king off, so now you are trying to play semantics.

what’s their season avg?

so why didn’t you pick 2014 when we had 2 games that avg’d 16,140?

the year you have cherry picked were rain affected games, one of them was a terrible storm where people,were advised not to leave their homes. we got 11,433 for Souths v storm in heavy rain and 6,258 for manly v warriors in the storm.
Because the 12,000 average came in 2016 and the 8,000 came in 2017,the last two seasons the NRL did anything like that in Perth. It was the only time they did it in back to back years as well, which gives us better insight on what would happen if Perth had a team playing 12 games a year, year after year. It shows there isn't the demand you talk of.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Like I said, you only get 15,000 to an NRL game when it's the sole game played there for the season. When more than one game has been played at Perth Oval the average dropped to under 13,000 and under 8,000 in 2017.

The double header was the opening of Perth Stadium. NRL beat the AFL to the punch. Of course it was going to draw a good crowd. It was also a double header. Hold a couple of one off games per season and that number will drop.

Why do you keep ignoring 2014 in your argument?
you didNt answer, what’s redcliffes avg?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because the 12,000 average came in 2016 and the 8,000 came in 2017,the laat two seasons the NRL did anything like that in Perth. It was the only time they did it in back to back years as well, which gives us better insight on what would happen if Perth had a team playing 12 games a year, year after year. It shows there isn't the demand you talk of.

lol that’s very selective of you. Have you ever been to a nrl game in Perth? I suspect not or you’d know there is around 30-40k nrl fans who go to games here. Many only go to games that feature their teams. Recent years there has been a general dissatisfaction with the nrl and its lack of progress, many fans here are jaded. Vlandys comments have hardly helped.
The trick for a PERTH team will be to convert those fans to Pirates fans. There’s no shortage of RL fans here as we have seen on numerous occasions. There is no reason that a well run club can’t start with a 15k crowd avg and build from there. If we do that we will straight away be in the top half of nrl support.
Not even sure what you’re arguing tbh, Perth is the best and only hope of the nrl expanding into a new area.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
The Dolphins would be a massive failure. People who believe they should hold an NRL license must not have any idea about how hated they are by the majority of fans in the Moreton Bay Area.

The majority of kids who play junior footy on the Northside play against Redcliffe. I grew up playing against and hating Redcliffe as did most kids who played against them.

I don’t think people realise how disliked they are even at QLD Cup level. Their stadium is irrelevant one of the key aims of a second Brisbane team is to play a game at Suncorp each week.

The NRL does not need a less successful smaller version of Manly.

The Easts and Jets bids suffer from this to an extent however they are no where near as despised by all parts of Brisbane as Redcliffe are.

Whether you like the Bombers brand or not (and it can be changed) the idea of them having no previous ties and being a new team is the right plan for a second Brisbane team

Why do you keep ignoring 2014 in your argument?
you didNt answer, what’s redcliffes avg?
I gave you my explanation.

Redcliffe don't record their averagae attendances. Only the GF attendance is reported by the media.

How do the Pirates go in the SG Ball or whatever it is they play in? I bet they're getting what an SG Ball club can expect. Redcliffe do well for a club playing in a second tier competition. Australians aren't in the habit of patronising anything below the top tier.

The Dolphins would be a massive failure. People who believe they should hold an NRL license must not have any idea about how hated they are by the majority of fans in the Moreton Bay Area.

The majority of kids who play junior footy on the Northside play against Redcliffe. I grew up playing against and hating Redcliffe as did most kids who played against them.

I don’t think people realise how disliked they are even at QLD Cup level. Their stadium is irrelevant one of the key aims of a second Brisbane team is to play a game at Suncorp each week.

The NRL does not need a less successful smaller version of Manly.

The Easts and Jets bids suffer from this to an extent however they are no where near as despised by all parts of Brisbane as Redcliffe are.

Whether you like the Bombers brand or not (and it can be changed) the idea of them having no previous ties and being a new team is the right plan for a second Brisbane team
I won't support the Bombers, but I will get behind the Firehawks. I can also adopt Dolphins as a 2nd team, even though I hate them at QCup level and below.

The Great Dane

First Grade
No, you're speaking shit and deluding yourself into thinking it's fact. Brisbane is a far bigger city, larger population, longer RL history. The population base of each BRL club would be magnitudes greater than any club from Canberra. If you want to know what it would look like, go look back at the old BRL finals. Always sold out or close to it. Donkeys got bugger all fans to their first game against Manly.
All of this is just red herrings, but I will respond to one thing.

The BRL is a terrible example because the goal is to get as many of the different groups in Brisbane to support the second club, not give them all their own little suburban clubs.

If you want to watch the BRL then that's great, go watch the ISC and good luck to you, because the NRL is the national competition not the Brisbane suburban comp!
Canberra Vikings is irrelevant. Canberra doesn't have a favourite sport. It follows whatever is in fashion, whether that's the Brumbies or Raiders. Brisbane is rugby league heartland and no other sport comes close. Brisbane isn't Canberra.
The Canberra Vikings are just one example (technically two, they've done it twice believe it or not), of what you'll achieve in Brisbane if you promote a suburban club.

The same tribal reaction that makes people that aren't Tuggeranong Vikings fans not like the CBR Vikings is what make the people form one part of town not the like the other, the NSW not like Queensland, Catalans not like Spain, etc, etc.
It's a universal behaviour that is observed over and over in humans, try to go against it and you'll lose, because you can't just wipe away billions of years of evolution in a day.
I support Wynnum Manly. I would be willing to support a Brisbane Diehards team. Another poster on here from Logan said he would follow Redcliffe if they gained admission. That's two examples that go against your theory.
Red Herring and Anecdotes.

That's two logical fallacies in one post, and both of them was repeated. Who was talking shit and convincing themselves it's fact again?

Aren't Fremantle and Port Adelaide clubs from the local fumbleball competitions?

They do very well. So much for TGP's theory!

I put him on ignore. He talks too much rubbish.

Does GC get much support in Logan?
A southern Brisbane team would immediately be titans biggest rival & I imagine would draw large crowd.
Sydney FC didn't want wanderers but that fixture at homebush would get 60k. Melbourne city has no supporters but derby is good for Victory too.
I noticed support in the southern suburbs ( the ones that were part of Gold Coast before the Queensland Government changed the boundaries in 2008) when I was there a decade ago. Areas such as Eagleby and Beenleigh. Most of Logan's population is in the north, and I see zero support for the Titans here. It's mainly Broncos and Cowboys.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Western Reds were unable to generate money and were clouded in debt. Just covering airfare costs was too much for them.

You seem pretty ignorant. The Reds business plan was set on only laying out travel and accomodation costs for first grade , when the arl decided at last minute to bring in reserve grade as well it fcked them over. Then SL blew all hope of viability out of the window. I mean if we want to go back an unprecedented times we could say let’s not bother with Brisbane2 as crushers failed miserably. See how silly that sounds?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Aren't Fremantle and Port Adelaide clubs from the local fumbleball competitions?

They do very well. So much for TGP's theory!

I put him on ignore. He talks too much rubbish.

dont know about Adelaide but Fremantle were a new club with no allegiances or connections to any of the southern metro wafl clubs.

You seem pretty ignorant. The Reds business plan was set on only laying out travel and accomodation costs for first grade , when the arl decided at last minute to bring in reserve grade as well it fcked them over. Then SL blew all hope of viability out of the window. I mean if we want to go back an unprecedented times we could say let’s not bother with Brisbane2 as crushers failed miserably. See how silly that sounds?
I know all about the Western Reds. You know nothing about the BRL. All you care about is Perth. You make all sorts of excuses to justify shit crowds in Perth, but are quick to attack Sydney and Brisbane.

Perth cost Super League a fortune in travel and accommodation. Crowds were shit in 1997 and much of 1996. The poor crowds made them unviable. Around 7,000 or 8,000, were they not? That's what the two games in Perth in 2017 drew. The Perth media was very hostile to the game.

Murdoch knows what value Perth would bring to the game. News Ltd kicked them out because they were a drain on resources and had trouble recruiting players. The big suits brought in Melbourne and haven't looked back at Perth. If there was value in a Perth team Murdoch's News Ltd would have pushed for them to be included by now.

The Crushers were a poorly run club that was doomed to fail. Its logo was an old steam powered train, its name was too broad to represent anyone and they set their HQ in Pastoral Brothers Territory, which is only a stone throw away from the Donkeys. You don't have to be Einstein to see how that would go belly up. The three BRL clubs closest to Donkeys HQ all went under.

Last edited:
dont know about Adelaide but Fremantle were a new club with no allegiances or connections to any of the southern metro wafl clubs.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremantle_Football_Club
There were going to be a merged club between East Fremantle and South Fremantle. They were known as the Fremantle Sharks until they decided to go with Dockers. East Fremantle are called the Sharks. So a new club, but with some sort of link to the local competition.

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
That's because you don't know a damn thing that you are talking a about lol.

Here read this- https://www.thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=22094

As I said, they were the Queanbeyan Blues in all but name. Started out in Queanbeyan as a Queanbyan blues initiative, the Raiders main backer was the Queanbeyan Leagues club (same one that supports the Blues), first administration, coach, staff, pretty much all Blues, Les McIntyre was the clubs founder for f**k sake!

Here's a good way of putting it, the Blues don't technically own the Raiders, but the same people that own the Blues also own the Raiders.

BTW, I'm 3 and 0, they are all, undeniably, examples of what I was talking about. But like always you are incapable of admitting when you were wrong and f**king off, so now you are trying to play semantics.
What you are talking about is deliberately avoiding comparison;
Firebirds being new brand being owned easts.
Dockers has nothing to either south or east.
Port Adelaide is not new brand.
Raiders not owned by local club - may included some ppl connected to certain clubs but not extension of club.
Just saying you are right doesn't make you right... makes you something else tho

Latest posts