What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Dragon David

First Grade
It still defies belief that a group of supposedly competent businessmen weren’t smart enough to put a simple performance clause in a contract. Unbelievably stupid.
These supposedly competent businessmen are obviously NOT competent. They are buffoons of the highest order. If the guy who drew up Mary's contract worked for any other business, he would have been sacked pronto. As we all know, contracts are an important document - not so in rugby league though and in this regard, Mary's could have been written on a bus ticket, as someone has already said on this Forum.

While McGregor's coaching is deservedly under scrutiny, the other elephant in the room, the JDB case seems to have slipped under the radar as a factor in the sides' collapse. The decision to keep Jack around training with the squad and reportedly involved in set moves when he won't be on the field when they are executed was a dodgy move. I can understand that the club had his well being in mind but I think it has has had a divisive effect on the players.
By all accounts the players (and their wives) have been split into two camps with opposing views on whether Jack should be around the squad. McGregor probably had a hand in the decision but Dragons' management must have approved it. It has to have been a big distraction.
It still defies belief that a group of supposedly competent businessmen weren’t smart enough to put a simple performance clause in a contract. Unbelievably stupid.

A lawyer once told me that if you are good at contracts you pretty much include as many terms as you can to get out of it on your own terms and it’s up to old mate on the other side to find you out.

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
Players coming out and defending McGregor.

Heard it all before. If anything the heat has only recently turned on Mary this season. I don't recall any pressure from the media on him until this season.

Sure, the players aren't performing or showing their talent, but as a team we've had lousy performances for the bulk of McGregor's tenure and he is the common denominator in all of it.

Do I have any belief whatsoever that the team can turn it around - maybe slightly.
Do I ever think McGregor will coach this team to a prelim or grand final - nope, doesn't have the ability to get the best out of his players no matter how he buddies up to them.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Players coming out and defending McGregor.

Heard it all before. If anything the heat has only recently turned on Mary this season. I don't recall any pressure from the media on him until this season.

Sure, the players aren't performing or showing their talent, but as a team we've had lousy performances for the bulk of McGregor's tenure and he is the common denominator in all of it.

Do I have any belief whatsoever that the team can turn it around - maybe slightly.
Do I ever think McGregor will coach this team to a prelim or grand final - nope, doesn't have the ability to get the best out of his players no matter how he buddies up to them.
I will say though McInnes is the type of bloke you want next to you in the trenches. I’m proud to have him as captain.

I will say though McInnes is the type of bloke you want next to you in the trenches. I’m proud to have him as captain.

He’s earned the respect of the entire league.

Week after week he turns up and embarrasses the mightiest elites. He’s playing injured and he still lifts. Unbelievable.

That makes him just about the only player to respond to Maryfication. That’s a poor success rate for a coach.

Otherwise, players backing Mary and Mary backing players, shows there is no known fire escape for the radical changes you need to see your way clear of this death spiral.

All this nonsense about dropping players and being tough, lasted, um ah....

It’s getting to the point for me where I can’t manage the humiliation of the press conference.

The difference this week is that he goes into the game and a losing press conference untouchable regardless of the extent of the anticipated carve up. Same with the players. A lot of them should pack their bags for pretending to play first grade. Wet paper bags, easily distracted, no attack and the defence has all the ferocity of an origami duckling.

Just show up and roll the arm over as there are no consequences for anyone for failure. Look sad if you lose is perhaps the only requirement.

By their inaction and chilling words, the board have mandated failure at every possible level.

I know some here have given up on the press conferences since mid way through last year and I’ve toughed them out to try to assist this thread, but I’m close to calling them a day, because now the football club is pretty much a closed shop and immune from any criticism. We all expect garbage from Mary and he never dissapoints. But it gets lame. Same old “ unacceptable” and “ we beat ourselves” ffs!

We are supposed to live in a rational world, but your management aren’t rational.

More than a few people here, they don’t recognise this club anymore. It’s changed so profoundly and fundamentally. It’s values aren’t your values.

It doesn’t represent you or who you are.

Your only life support is really each other, fellow sufferers.

You can’t breathe as rugby league fans and members.

I said on another thread, if St George “lifers” finally jump ship, no one could ethically shoot them in the back.

But if you don’t fight for something, some small kick out, you’re not alive.

Death before dishonour. Let’s get this done, whatever the cost may be.

Fire up and let’s give him forum hell this weekend.

His first week back since getting kissed on the ass by the board and he needs to suffer because of that alone. Losing is just expected. Results no longer matter. Getting rid of Mary is all that counts now.

Sack McGregor. We will all be putting that on our tombstones I think!

And for what it’s worth, the tiges look to be heading into a bad spell ourselves. Storm clouds gathering yonder.

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
If this talk of Eddie Jones coming to the NRL is true we should try and snatch him from the Sharks.

That's if he likes a challenge.

SaintPauli

Juniors
My take is the board has 8 members and cannot be influenced by the outside world particularly the fans
which means they can do as they please such a stupidly ommitting a performance clause from the coaches contract.

Its time the club allows fans voting rights and insights. Call us up, dragons board, we would love to have a chat!
Really, I truly would love to chat.

Tuddy

Juniors
The other side of the coin is assuming that leaving out a performance clause in McGregors contract was an accident.

A suspicious mind might think that if someone was ‘a really good mate’ of his, they may not want that clause there. After all, all that would do is make it easier to get rid of him if he wasn’t performing......and that’s not looking after a mate is it?

Chungas revenge

Juniors
My take is the board has 8 members and cannot be influenced by the outside world particularly the fans
which means they can do as they please such a stupidly ommitting a performance clause from the coaches contract.

Its time the club allows fans voting rights and insights. Call us up, dragons board, we would love to have a chat!
Really, I truly would love to chat.
Are we the only club that can't vote to remove board members?
It appears to me success of the club is not the priority of
the untouchable board.

Paddles

Juniors
In addition to not having a performance clause in his new contract, McGregor got a payrise of about 1/3!!!!

Two years ago, rumours were he was on 600K. After 5 years of failure, with no competition for his signature, they bumped it up to a reported 800K. A 33% bump on the previous.

betcats

Referee
Being honest, do you guys even want the team to win this week? Not taking the piss, cause in your situation i'd be hoping for another flogging though i'd feel guilty about it. Such a f**ked situation when your club is saddled with a clueless coach the management wont get rid of.

Gomarchin

Juniors
Being honest, do you guys even want the team to win this week? Not taking the piss, cause in your situation i'd be hoping for another flogging though i'd feel guilty about it. Such a f**ked situation when your club is saddled with a clueless coach the management wont get rid of.
I can't handle what McWrekor is doing to the club (and yes the board are to blame for re-signing him) but right now if the only way to get rid of him is by us losing then go the SHARKS!

The other side of the coin is assuming that leaving out a performance clause in McGregors contract was an accident.

A suspicious mind might think that if someone was ‘a really good mate’ of his, they may not want that clause there. After all, all that would do is make it easier to get rid of him if he wasn’t performing......and that’s not looking after a mate is it?
I agree with you.
No way that contract was drawn up incompetently.
It was deliberate which raises a number of questions.
Mates before the interests of the Club?
Ostensible authority?

Banjo2014

Juniors
SACK MCGREGOR
Bear with me

Jun 13th 1963 - Banjo's Dad was born at Kogarah Hospital
Jun 16th Round 12 A South Sydney W 29 - 5 Redfern 12,711 1st - started my life with a win and first on table

Jun 13th 2020 - Banjo's Dad turns 57 and is on lockdown with three kids in a 3 bedroom condo in Philippines
Jun 13th 2020 - Saints play Cronulla

Banjo asked what I want for my birthday (I pondered)

Sack MCGregor

or

A win for the Mighty ones and to hear oh when the Saints go Marching In

GO THE MIGHTY SAINTS AND LET'S HEAR YOU SING LOUIS ARMSTRONG

Bittangabee

Juniors
How ?

PS welcome to the forum.

Thanks TruSaint!

I think we as supporters need to make ourselves loud and upfront directly with the players, coaches, and club staff.

We should be relentlessly lining up at the doors of WIN stadium yelling to wake up and sack McGregor during their training sessions. I bet they are currently only hearing the gush of wind and waves crashing during their training sessions.

We should be waiting outside the stadium entrance doors when they enter and board their coach on game day. They should be hearing our pain while they are in their dressing room preparing for matches.

Sorry, I’m just exhausted with all this mediocrity and getting really desperate. I don’t know what else we supporters can do to help our beloved club recover from this disaster besides a boycott.

Latest posts